FORUMS

Fun with resistors (home/car dock mode + more)

355 posts
Thanks Meter: 217

By TheBeano, Senior Member on 26th October 2010, 09:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th October 2010, 01:50 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymy01

It is 301K, not 330ohms(=330R) +1K. ...for the download mode I presume you are talking about?

No this is for Home Dock mode.
28th October 2010, 03:33 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymy01

It is 301K, not 330ohms(=330R) +1K. ...for the download mode I presume you are talking about?

Well, i know a little bit about electronics (even made some devices, like power amps, devices based on microcontrollers etc.), so i know what 330R and 301K means
I already got download mode working.
And right now i got home dock working to, with 1K resistor. I just didn't know, that one needs an additional app for it to work (i thought it's a system app).
28th October 2010, 04:05 PM |#13  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Yeah, sorry for the mix up,i am subscribed to both of the threads related to this recent discovery, and mixed them up. I am certainly interested in triggering particular modes, eg entering car to put phone bluetooth on and screen on dim always, and perhaps a basic home page for gps nav etc, and having an alarm clock mode that maybe turns off data etc. the sky is really the limit here, I can't believe samsumg isn't taking advantage of these features!
31st October 2010, 04:51 AM |#14  
Flag Broward County, FL
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Question: has anybody ever actually SEEN a chip inside the I9000 labeled "FSA9480", or is it possible that the "FSA9480" is actually just IP licensed by Samsung and incorporated directly into one of their ASICs?

I ask, because I have an Epic4G. I've scrutinized the various publicized teardown photos of its board, and I have yet to find anything that looks like it might be this chip (which would almost certainly be either MLF or microBGA, 3mm x 4mm or larger, and located somewhere between the main processor and the USB port).

By the same token, does a readily-available (though not necessarily "public", if you know what I mean) datasheet for the Hummingbird and its support chips exist somewhere that documents things like how many UARTs it has, which pins they're connected to, how they're configured (baudrate, parity, mode, stopbits, input & out put registers, interrupts, etc)? As far as I can tell, Android itself has no concept of a UART, and everything in the (official Samsung) kernel that's UART-related was omitted, so there's no documentation in there.

I'm personally psyched about the existence of a UART on this phone, because it opens the door for external peripherals that are a half step above "homebrew" -- things like game controllers, folding keyboards, etc. Stuff you COULD sort of implement via bluetooth (if we ever get a kernel that knows how to do HID), but would literally cost half as much and get twice the battery life if you could skip the bluetooth and just connect via a pair of wires instead.
31st October 2010, 10:18 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitbang3r

I ask, because I have an Epic4G. I've scrutinized the various publicized teardown photos of its board, and I have yet to find anything that looks like it might be this chip (which would almost certainly be either MLF or microBGA, 3mm x 4mm or larger, and located somewhere between the main processor and the USB port).

It's a 3x4mm UMLP, I haven't seen it described online as anything other than a discrete chip so it probably is on the board somewhere.

Quote:

By the same token, does a readily-available (though not necessarily "public", if you know what I mean) datasheet for the Hummingbird and its support chips exist somewhere that documents things like how many UARTs it has, which pins they're connected to, how they're configured (baudrate, parity, mode, stopbits, input & out put registers, interrupts, etc)?

Yes, google S5PC110_EVT1_UM10 .

Quote:

As far as I can tell, Android itself has no concept of a UART, and everything in the (official Samsung) kernel that's UART-related was omitted, so there's no documentation in there.

There is some UART code e.g. arch/arm/plat-s5pc1xx/dev-uart.c but it may be just for Bluetooth. There are a lot of /dev/ttySn ports, not sure what they do yet.

Quote:

I'm personally psyched about the existence of a UART on this phone, because it opens the door for external peripherals that are a half step above "homebrew" -- things like game controllers, folding keyboards, etc. Stuff you COULD sort of implement via bluetooth (if we ever get a kernel that knows how to do HID), but would literally cost half as much and get twice the battery life if you could skip the bluetooth and just connect via a pair of wires instead.

The Froyo kernel does HID via Bluetooth OK, except for the Wii controller which is a not-very-conforming Bluetooth device. If the Galaxy supports USB OTG, and there is at least some detection and setup code for that, it would probably be easier to use that for wired peripherals.
3rd November 2010, 11:00 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
does anybody know what "Factory Mode Boot OFF-USB" does?
3rd November 2010, 11:02 PM |#17  
In the land of the blind
Thanks Meter: 78

More
The FSA9480 on Aries platform phones does not have any "clear text" etched on it.
It is located under the RF shield (same side with the baseband chip).

The chip is so tiny that it is necessary to have a scope to see the text printed on it. I found no hits with the code printed on the chip (cannot remember what was it).

The component location on Aries platform phones is U301 (schematics).
4th November 2010, 12:01 AM |#18  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richthofen

The component location on Aries platform phones is U301 (schematics).

Richthofen, does this mean you have access to the schematics? If so what is connected to pins 6 and 7 (TxD and RxD) of the FSA9480, and also pins 1-3 (Audio + Mic)? Thanks.
4th November 2010, 12:44 AM |#19  
In the land of the blind

More
The schematics do not specify the pin numbers, but atleast video and mic of FSA9480 are left NC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARIES_FSA9480.jpg
Views:	7601
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	433248  
4th November 2010, 01:43 AM |#20  
OP Senior Member

More
Thanks! So CP_D+/- are USB from the Call Processor, and AP_D+/- are USB from the Application Processor, and the IF_TXD/RXD are switched to UARTs on either the call processor or the app processor by another chip, is that correct? I'm looking at the GT-S8500 service manual which uses the same signal names.

Do you have the big block diagram for the I9000 please, that would be really useful? I would especially like to know where the BOOT_MODE and JIG signals go, and which UART on the CPU the IF_TXD/RXD gets switched to, and what does the switching. Also where VPS_L and VPS_R are coming from. Ta.
4th November 2010, 01:12 PM |#21  
In the land of the blind

More
This BD is for I9000B (because it is more specific than the one for I9000), so please ignore the TV tuner

Even the BD shows VPS_L & VPS_R as NC, they are connected to Wolfson WM8994 directly.

JIG signal goes to AP PMIC (MAX8998), and it just to tells it to power up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT-I9000B-BD.jpg
Views:	29354
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	433616  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)