Google Voice options

Search This thread

Milkman00

Jun 12, 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
So I like Google Voice, but I don't want to integrate for a few reasons. That said, I wondered if it is possible to accomplish the following:

I have Google Voice currently set up to prompt me at every call if I want to use Google Voice to make that call. Is there a way to make it that when I call certain numbers it will know that I always want it to use Google Voice, and when I call other numbers I want it to automatically know that I don't want it to use Google voice, then ask me for the rest?

ALSO, since I am NOT using Google Voice integrated, I was curious of the following in regards to the Sprint free mobile to mobile plan.

• If someone calls me on my Google Voice number (from a mobile number), I have it automatically simultaneously ring a land line and cell phone. If I pick the call up on the cell phone, is that considered a mobile to mobile call for me?
  • What about the other person (they have Sprint).

amateurhack

Sep 25, 2011
The answer to the first question is no. There's no way to do that automatically with gv as it stands. There might be a way to work around it, but it would be complicated with what we have now.

The answer to your second question is that Sprint looks at gv like any other mobile number, and it doesn't matter whether the gv call originates or is answered on a land line, Sprint considers it all mobile-to-mobile.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

hoopsbwc34

Jul 25, 2006
The answer to your second question is that Sprint looks at gv like any other mobile number, and it doesn't matter whether the gv call originates or is answered on a land line, Sprint considers it all mobile-to-mobile.

According to my bill this isn't so. I have free mobile to mobile, and all calls TO my GV number are charged as land line calls. All calls FROM my phone to another mobile are considered mobile to mobile.

amateurhack

Sep 25, 2011
According to my bill this isn't so. I have free mobile to mobile, and all calls TO my GV number are charged as land line calls. All calls FROM my phone to another mobile are considered mobile to mobile.

Hmm. That's weird. Is your gv number integrated? Mine is, and all my calls bill as you wold expect. Mobile phones calling me are billed as mobile, land lines are billed as land lines. But, when I use gv to call my wife from my work phone, it's billed as mobile on her end, even though I'm calling from a land line.

wingbat

Oct 31, 2011
Moto G7
Google Pixel Watch
If you go into Google Voice's options, under "Making Calls", you can select "Ask every time I make a call."

Google Voice calls operate on the phone network, not data. Additionally, it uses a different access number every time, to make sure you can't put it on any faves/friends&family/etc lists. One way to get around this is to use an app called Google Voice Callback. However, Google is quick to remove any app from the market that gets around Voice's minute usage. You can find it on the Amazon Appstore.

Milkman00

Jun 12, 2010
Tampa Bay, Florida
So to clarify a couple of things.

I do NOT have GV integrated. That is intentional, and I like it this way.

I know about asking each time I make a call, which is how I have it set, but instead of asking for every single call I was wondering if I could set defaults for some contacts so it didn't ask me. As some contacts I want to ALWAYS call using GV and some contacts I want to NEVER call using GV.

So, it seems that when people call my GV number it is treated as a land line call.

What if I call someone on Sprint using GV from my cell phone. On their phone my GV number shows up. Is that considered mobile to mobile for either of us???

anavias

Sep 14, 2008
My experience has been that any calls via GV on a non integrated phone is considered a landline.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2