[Q] Returning rooted phone to HTC

Search This thread

yakayu

Mar 27, 2014
My camera lens cracked and my phone is rooted and unlocked bootloader.

Would you all return the phone to complete stock before sending it back to HTC? Should I worry at all about being S OFF?

They have multiple options for repair/replacement, but I'd prefer to just send them this phone back and have them send me a new one, since that's fastest and I sold my backup phone.

b0gd4n

Jul 6, 2009
London

Would you all return the phone to complete stock before sending it back to HTC? Should I worry at all about being S OFF?

They have multiple options for repair/replacement, but I'd prefer to just send them this phone back and have them send me a new one, since that's fastest and I sold my backup phone.

hey,

I just returned my m8 due to scratched lens, and it was rooted, custom romed and s-offed.

I followed this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735235 and returned to stock, as well as reset the unlocked and tempered flags.

I was advised not to mess around with S-OFF, as this should be nothing to worry about.

The phone just arrived at the repair centre today. I'll see if they say anything about it, but I reccon not.

Reactions: yakayu

yakayu

Mar 27, 2014
hey,

I just returned my m8 due to scratched lens, and it was rooted, custom romed and s-offed.

I followed this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735235 and returned to stock, as well as reset the unlocked and tempered flags.

I was advised not to mess around with S-OFF, as this should be nothing to worry about.

The phone just arrived at the repair centre today. I'll see if they say anything about it, but I reccon not.

Thank you for your response. Let me know if they say anything. I think I'm gonna go the same route as you.

Ark1406

Jul 13, 2013
Thank you for your response. Let me know if they say anything. I think I'm gonna go the same route as you.

I'd go with the option of you sending in your phone first. If they send you one first and find ANY trace of your phone being tampered with, they'll charge you $175 no questions asked. My friend sent in the phone first, followed that guide, and they still found a trace (maybe he did it wrong). Regardless, they gave him the option of either paying $300 for repair (includes the $175 tampered charge) or they send it back to him. And he sent it In for the same reason as you. I'd send it in first considering the tamper charger is almost as much as a 2-year contract price

b0gd4n

Jul 6, 2009
London
I'd go with the option of you sending in your phone first. If they send you one first and find ANY trace of your phone being tampered with, they'll charge you $175 no questions asked. My friend sent in the phone first, followed that guide, and they still found a trace (maybe he did it wrong). Regardless, they gave him the option of either paying $300 for repair (includes the $175 tampered charge) or they send it back to him. And he sent it In for the same reason as you. I'd send it in first considering the tamper charger is almost as much as a 2-year contract price

The HTC UK team told me that they will check the phone for tampering, and if something is found, I will get charged £23 before starting repairs and be given the chance to continue repair on my own cost, or return the phone as is.

I have just checked the HTC tracking system, and I can now see my phone as "In repair" status, so I am assuming all's fine.

The guide is for International versions and my phone is Three UK, so the steps are not exactly the same. However, the idea is the same, flash/restore stock rom, make sure supersu is installed, remove Tempered and Unlocked flags, flash stock recovery and then restart the phone loads of times, boot to bootloader and all that to make sure all the flags stick.

The HTC UK team told me that they will check the phone for tampering, and if something is found, I will get charged £23 before starting repairs and be given the chance to continue repair on my own cost, or return the phone as is.

I have just checked the HTC tracking system, and I can now see my phone as "In repair" status, so I am assuming all's fine.

The guide is for International versions and my phone is Three UK, so the steps are not exactly the same. However, the idea is the same, flash/restore stock rom, make sure supersu is installed, remove Tempered and Unlocked flags, flash stock recovery and then restart the phone loads of times, boot to bootloader and all that to make sure all the flags stick.

Yup! You are absolutely right! Cheers!
Try to put everything to stock(rom,kernel,recovery) then try to run the ruu.If you are s-off lock the bootloader and change your cid to your normal cid and remove the tampered flag.They wont say a thing because if you run the ruu it resets every thing like you have just opened your phone from the box.

yakayu

Mar 27, 2014

Well HTC told me that they'd send me a replacement phone first with shipping label insured for me to send my phone back for $30. That way I'm not without a phone.

If I send it in the method you suggested, they said it could take up to 2 weeks to return it.

The other option was send my phone first with $20 and once they receive it they send a replacement back.

I have insurance, but this option costs me $30 and insurance is $90

I could just hit my phone with a hammer and get a replacement for $90 if it ends up being a hassle with htc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yup! You are absolutely right! Cheers!
    Try to put everything to stock(rom,kernel,recovery) then try to run the ruu.If you are s-off lock the bootloader and change your cid to your normal cid and remove the tampered flag.They wont say a thing because if you run the ruu it resets every thing like you have just opened your phone from the box.

hey,