[Q&A][Kernel] Infusion-Z and Zen kernels, questions on other kernels welcome

Search This thread
Tips, Tweaks, etc...

performance and battery tweak #1 - best antutu score - 4072

in testing the 2nd update of the infusion z kernel i came up with a configuration that consistently performed well on benchmarks (and in real phone use too!). I figured i'd share it here for others to try. (standard disclaimer from kernel thread still applies - you bork it, you bought it - not me). Feel free to post your experiences - any improvements i can confirm will be posted here..

flash coreA-16 kernel
in cwm, enable voodoo lagfix and system conversion
in phone cpu manager (i recommend voltage control) set the following:
- max to 1600 (minimum to 100)
- i/o scheduler - cfq
- governor - ondemand
- voltage - enable 1600 setting
- voltage - set undervolt to -50 across the board
- apply settings, then touch the menu key to save boot configuration
install adrenaline shot 14
- run only scripts 00, 01, 03, 04, 05, and 08 (others can be moved from /system/etc/init.d to your sdcard in case you want to try later).

run antutu benchmark...

.•..•••..••.••••.•••.•••..•......••••..•.••.••••.•••.•.•..•..•••.•••..•..••..•.•..•......••..•...••.••••.••.•..•.••.•••..••..•••..•......••.•..•.•••.•....•......••.••••.••.•••...•......•••.....•••.•.•.•••..•..•••.....••.••••.•••..••.••..•.•..•.•••...•......•..•....••.••••.•••.•••..•......••.•.•..•••.•.•.•••.••..••..•.•.••.•••..••.•..•.••.••...••..•.•..•.•••...•.........••.•....•.•.​

Last edited:
Any plans for ICS kernel :D
As soon as Samsung releases source for one I'm all over it :)
I wouldn't hold your breath though... :eek:

I know you know this :D, but for other readers: CM9 / AOKP threads have "ICS on Infuse" options in development. The Infusion-Z kernel is GB, intended for Samsung "stock" based ROMs.

Reactions: xDa.Fun

Ryanscool

Aug 30, 2011
Denver
Just wondering... its helpful for me and probably not anyone else lol but is there av out functionality?

Ryanscool

Aug 30, 2011
Denver
There is AV out via the MHL to HDMI adapter that plugs into the usb connector. If your target device does not support HDMI there are converters available that should get you what you need.

If you are looking for something else, please reply with more specifics.

I will look into that thanks... anyway like i mean through the headphone jack, like the original galaxy s phones did. I would provide you a link, but am currently up extremely late doing homework. I think our devices are capable of doing it, its just the addition was never added to the kernel.

Reactions: Zen Arcade

atk

May 6, 2007
What kernel to use with AEON ROM?

Forgive me for asking, but before I flash, I'd like to know what kernel users would recommend flashing for use with AEON ROM? And for my own edification, why do you recommend it? I'm still trying to get my hands around the difference between a ROM and a kernel.

Thanks,
atk

Forgive me for asking, but before I flash, I'd like to know what kernel users would recommend flashing for use with AEON ROM? And for my own edification, why do you recommend it? I'm still trying to get my hands around the difference between a ROM and a kernel.

Thanks,
atk
There are kernels based on source code released by Samsung, intended to be run with ROMs based on Samsung source. There are also kernels based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) that will work with ROMs developed from AOSP sources. You cannot run an AOSP kernel with a Samsung-based ROM and visa versa.

In general, kernels are what manage the phone hardware and provide a common interface to the ROM and applications running on the phone.

If you are running Aeon you have two kernel groups to choose from: Entropy's daily driver - better on battery and includes fast charging hacks, or Infusion - geared more toward faster performance with overclocking. With updates in the past two months both provide most of the features available in the stock kernels along with being rooted to support custom ROMs.

You can click on the "ISET" link in my signature to get to the "super everything thread" with links to all the options available fo the Infuse.

Or, if you want to keep it simple, just flash Aeon and use the kernel that comes with the ROM. :)

jdt352

Jan 20, 2012
California
flash coreA-16 kernel
- i/o scheduler - cfq
- governor - ondemand
- run only scripts 00, 01, 03, 04, 05, and 08 (others can be moved from /system/etc/init.d to your sdcard in case you want to try later).

run antutu benchmark...
I have better values using noop and conservative. But my current high antutu score is 3911.
With cfq and ondemand - 3751

Still- 3911 is pretty great! :)

EDIT: But 4060 is even better! :D Still noop and conservative with -50mv down the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: xDa.Fun and qkster

csaint422

May 13, 2010
Houston
I use aeon and your newest kernel a oc to 1600 uv -50 all the way down,
when ever I play words with friends after I make a play and the ad pops up I click okay then it usually freezes up and get a black screen and I have to hit back a few times to get out and eventually get a fc screen then it works again.
Same thing if I go open a text message while playing for example and try and go back to words with friends it freezes up again..
What could be causing this?
It doesn't really do it with entropys dd just this one, it also does the same if I don't oc and leave it at 1200
Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA

qkster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 5, 2011
USA
when ever I play words with friends after I make a play and the ad pops up I click okay then it usually freezes up and get a black screen and I have to hit back a few times to get out and eventually get a fc screen then it works again.
Same thing if I go open a text message while playing for example and try and go back to words with friends it freezes up again..
It doesn't really do it with entropys dd just this one, it also does the same if I don't oc and leave it at 1200
Any ideas? Thanks

1. dont undervolt.
2. your phone may not be able to hand the oc to 1.6 ..try Zen-B 1.4

csaint422

May 13, 2010
Houston
My phone has worked fine oc to 1600 before, and if I don't uv my battery life well suck..
Maybe I'll give b a shot..
Just seems multi tasking bogs down some could be a combination of tweaks conflicting, I'll try b or not oc with less uv and play around till something works

Clark Joseph Kent

Senior Mod / Moderator & RC-RT Committees Lead
Staff member
Dec 17, 2011
www.marines.com
Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra
My phone has worked fine oc to 1600 before, and if I don't uv my battery life well suck..Maybe I'll give b a shot..
Just seems multi tasking bogs down some could be a combination of tweaks conflicting, I'll try b or not oc with less uv and play around till something works

I have never been a fan of oc...I have so many that love to oc their phones, pc...so on...imho oc degrades your hardware, sure you rocking it while it lasts on 1.6 + oc, and sure the phone can handle it, when it can. but just like any type of hardware i.e. computers, phones and so on, your gonna bring the hardware down. And will wear out....imo.

Not saying you should or shouldn't, just a thought, I can't afford to degrade my phone or computer, so I just run it at speeds that it was designed for, but even flashing custom rom is not safe either...so I understand the need for speed, but if your gonna fly....ensure you have parachute just in case you crash and burn...:) Ok enough of my old man talk...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Any ideas? Thanks

Some apps may react adversely to OC. Only option there is to do what you did and scale back.

I pulled Words with Friends off my phone a long time ago for a couple reasons - 1) its resident service grew in size over time and kept on growing, 2) even when the game was closed, this resident service stayed around and kept the phone from sleeping. So for WWF, my recommendation is to switch to WordFeud :)

In general, and responding to Joe's advice as well... OC on a smartphone should be reasonably safe unless you are doing something that causes the phone to run at max freq all the time. Heat dissipation is your primary concern and this is very difficult to achieve in the tight confines of a handheld device... So, a worst case scenario would be playing a CPU/GPU intensive game, while charging the phone, while sitting outside in 95F weather. That's a bad idea :)... or setting the governor to performance (bad idea), plugging in the charger (generates heat), and then having the phone under a couch cushion or pillow (nowhere for the heat to go)....

Everything in moderation... If the phone is hot to the touch for an extended period of time it's an indicator that you should stop what you are doing for a while. Doesn't hurt to have a cpu, battery and battery temp monitoring app available either... I use Battery Monitor Widget (free).

Battery over 40C = bad

If anyone knows of a cpu temp monitor for the Infuse please post. If you are uncomfortable with the risks that OC/UV may present, best to follow Joe's advice and stay within the normal operating parameters of the phone.
    A quick question...

I've been using Core A (latest) for about a week now on crt60's Legend ROM. Initially, everything was great. Scrolling was smooth, interface was snappy, and multitasking was a breeze. Now that I've added all of my apps and such and have the phone set up the way I like it, multitasking has taken a big hit. It lags to the point that it's unusable and it's really annoying. For instance, I'll open Facebook, wait a few seconds (because of lag), browse, switch to Google+, all the while waiting for what seems to be an eternity on wifi.

I have not touched anything else concerning the CPU. I have about 70 apps. I do have Voltage Control but haven't messed with any of the settings so 1600Mhz is still set to off and cfq and ondemand are my defaults.

Is it because my phone is unstable and I should try Core B? Should I try to implement the changes in the 3rd post of this thread, the one including Adrenaline Shot? Or is it because of the sheer amount of apps that I have. I really hope it's not the latter because I really like all of the apps that I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated because this ROM/kernal combo had been my best overall solution to a snappy, aesthetically pleasing, and most importantly working daily driver. Thanks.

--------

Edit: Decided to try noop and conservative for the hell of it because of another post in this thread and I must say, multitasking has gone right back to being pretty much stable, although it has only been about an hour of use. Just now, I had G+ uploading pictures and videos in the background, switched to Facebook, scrolled up and down and switched a couple of pages all the while playing music via Poweramp. This was a common scenario in which my phone would become unresponsive. No freezes and it seems as if the lag is gone. I don't quite understand all of the differences but this seems to do it for me. I think I might just download Words With Friends just to see if I get the freeze another user was experiencing. Thanks for the wonderful kernal!
    Tips, Tweaks, etc...

performance and battery tweak #1 - best antutu score - 4072

in testing the 2nd update of the infusion z kernel i came up with a configuration that consistently performed well on benchmarks (and in real phone use too!). I figured i'd share it here for others to try. (standard disclaimer from kernel thread still applies - you bork it, you bought it - not me). Feel free to post your experiences - any improvements i can confirm will be posted here..

flash coreA-16 kernel
    - i/o scheduler - cfq
    - governor - ondemand

run antutu benchmark...

.•..•••..••.••••.•••.•••..•......••••..•.••.••••.•••.•.•..•..•••.•••..•..••..•.•..•......••..•...••.••••.••.•..•.••.•••..••..•••..•......••.•..•.•••.•....•......••.••••.••.•••...•......•••.....•••.•.•.•••..•..•••.....••.••••.•••..••.••..•.•..•.•••...•......•..•....••.••••.•••.•••..•......••.•.•..•••.•.•.•••.••..••..•.•.••.•••..••.•..•.••.••...••..•.•..•.•••...•.........••.•....•.•.​
    My phone has worked fine oc to 1600 before, and if I don't uv my battery life well suck..Maybe I'll give b a shot..

I have never been a fan of oc...I have so many that love to oc their phones, pc...so on...imho oc degrades your hardware, sure you rocking it while it lasts on 1.6 + oc, and sure the phone can handle it, when it can. but just like any type of hardware i.e. computers, phones and so on, your gonna bring the hardware down. And will wear out....imo.

Not saying you should or shouldn't, just a thought, I can't afford to degrade my phone or computer, so I just run it at speeds that it was designed for, but even flashing custom rom is not safe either...so I understand the need for speed, but if your gonna fly....ensure you have parachute just in case you crash and burn...:) Ok enough of my old man talk...
    Hi Zen

You can also throw us "Zen ROM" fully tweaked with your kernel. :D

It's #2 on the list :)