[APP] Zeam Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

egalitarian

Jul 16, 2008
I'm trying to install zeam-2.9.6.apk but it says that it could not be opened as apk file. No problem with the older version. Anyone experiencing this problem?

starkruzr

Jun 18, 2007
Washington, DC
I will donate if you put scrollable widget support back in. Yes, I mad. I refuse to believe scrollable widgets were a huge, unacceptable performance drag.

lvnatic

Dec 5, 2010
Iasi
I second, why the hell were scrollable widgets removed? Its a standard in every decent launcher nowadays, we're on gingerbread FFS!

kwigybo

Feb 13, 2009
I second, why the hell were scrollable widgets removed? Its a standard in every decent launcher nowadays, we're on gingerbread FFS!

You have a choice to use zeam or not. You said it yourself, "every decent launcher" has got scrollable widgets. Use one of those and quit complaining.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

quickstang

Sep 2, 2009
If scrollable widgets are what you want, just use 2.8.8 version. I have to use the old version because of that reason. I'd love to keep the program updated but I use scrollable widgets with Plume & have no other choice. LP is a memory hog, & zeam uses less memory. I have no problems with the older version, & while that's the case i'd still love to have the latest update.

Maybe in the future he can bring scrollable widgets back. It seems that's the main complaint, so I'm sure its still in the works. A developer wouldn't risk not having a major feature people use unless its not possible. However we know its possible because other launchers have it. So I have faith we'll see it. I love this free app, & if LP reduced memory i'd switch back because scrollable widgets are there & developing still continues on the program. Guess you just have to choose what's important.

Maybe a suggestion would be to put it back in & if it works with your particular phone, great. It works with my Epic, so i'd be interested to see if it still worked if added back in with 2.9.6 if it works, great, if not keep working on it. So kind of a test build.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

wayneywoo

May 2, 2008
You have a choice to use zeam or not. You said it yourself, "every decent launcher" has got scrollable widgets. Use one of those and quit complaining.

If the feature wasn't in there originally then fair enough but to have it included then removed doesn't make sense. You are losing a part of your market? If it was removed for speed issues then surely there is a way to make it an option so those that have a phone that is affected by slowdown can turn it off and those that aren't can turn it on?

That's like selling a car with only a manual gearbox. If you want an automatic, go buy something else? Daft!

You can see from a number of posts that this feature is requested to put back so please, can we not at least have it as an option?

lvnatic

Dec 5, 2010
Iasi
It could've been easily turned off from the launcher's settings. If you don't want just don't use it, but there are people who need it. I can't live without a RSS widget on one of my screens and I need a scrollable calendar as well.

quickstang

Sep 2, 2009
It could've been easily turned off from the launcher's settings. If you don't want just don't use it, but there are people who need it. I can't live without a RSS widget on one of my screens and I need a scrollable calendar as well.

Maybe that's an option as well. Turn it on or off but keep it in one of the versions that still include other updates. I can say that WITH it, that the program still uses less memory than LP Plus, so memory is not an issue.

Right now it is running 13.43MB and that is 2.8.8 with scrollable widgets. It also drops down to 11.90MB

LP Plus was running between 19MB and 22MB

The thing I see is that while yes, there are other launchers to use with scrollable widgets, the scrollable widget request is huge. If you look at many of the pages on this Launcher post recently, you have 100 people asking about it. It's not just 3 or 4 people wanting something.

And as a developer, that's 100 people who WANT to use an application, so if you look like it in business terms, it's like turning away 100 clients. That's 100 people who would recommend it to other people, and who may donate for the development of the program.

I feel it is a solid Launcher so far and while I love using it, I can't use the most recent update because of one issue. Hopefully the developer can fix this because half of the pages are on this topic and seems to be a large issue. If it wasn't even put in before that's one thing, but like someone else pointed out, it was already a feature.

There was even a poster who said they develop and work on scrollable widgets, so maybe use them to help out.

The resources are there, the requests are there and it's all up to the developer on how they want to handle this. While many people love this app, you still have to remember that other competition is out there and the developer should realize this as well.

While I may not use LP Plus now, or another launcher, I keep my eye open for the most useful app, and that is the app I will use. One that gets updated, works for my needs, and is being developed constantly.

We all know developers want to prove something, and my fear is that if the scrollable widget issue is not added back in some how, that the Zeam launcher will lose people.

Last edited:
Reactions: wayneywoo

R^7Z

You'd think if it was that easy(scrollable widgets), he'd have already implemented it back. The dev has stated that he is having problems with scrollable widgets(check THIS post) and since he has even less time to continue developing Zeam, I can only imagine that part of that time he is also attempting to listen to the masses as far as other requests are concerned. If he can good, if not too bad. I see no problem, from my perspective, with using other launchers(IF I so desire scrollable widgets).
To sum this all up, the dev hasn't taken it out with the intent to frustrate others but rather as a troubleshooting means(from what I can gather).

quickstang

Sep 2, 2009
You'd think if it was that easy(scrollable widgets), he'd have already implemented it back. The dev has stated that he is having problems with scrollable widgets(check THIS post) and since he has even less time to continue developing Zeam, I can only imagine that part of that time he is also attempting to listen to the masses as far as other requests are concerned. If he can good, if not too bad. I see no problem, from my perspective, with using other launchers(IF I so desire scrollable widgets).
To sum this all up, the dev hasn't taken it out with the intent to frustrate others but rather as a troubleshooting means(from what I can gather).

On that post you posted though he says he is having problems for him personally.

Me personally and on my phone and 2.8.8 I have NO problems. No bugs, no nothing. It plain works. So I don't see why he doesn't implement it again and have 2 downloadable versions. A beta so to speak.

Many devs do this to test things out. I'd be glad to try 2.9.6 with it implemented back in. Also too if it is that big of an issue, this is XDA and there are MANY people willing to help other people out.

And no, I don't think he is trying to frustrate anyone, but as I see it, the masses are wanting it back in. This is the largest topic in this thread. Sure there are a few other requests, but when you start reading, you can see what the masses Want. This is where the focus should be even if it is a beta version.

You never know, it may work fine if implemented back in to the newest version for most people. TESTING will be the only way to tell.

Reactions: wayneywoo

kwigybo

Feb 13, 2009
If the feature wasn't in there originally then fair enough but to have it included then removed doesn't make sense. You are losing a part of your market? If it was removed for speed issues then surely there is a way to make it an option so those that have a phone that is affected by slowdown can turn it off and those that aren't can turn it on?

That's like selling a car with only a manual gearbox. If you want an automatic, go buy something else? Daft!

You can see from a number of posts that this feature is requested to put back so please, can we not at least have it as an option?

The feature was removed because it wasn't working properly. If the developer could get it working up to his standards I'm sure he would include it. Until then, it is removed.

Having a feature in one version doesn't necessarily set a precedent to have it included in future versions. The point of zeam is to provide a minimalist launcher for those that value speed over features. The objective is not to include every option under the sun just for the sake of it.

Regarding your car analogy, offering a manual gearbox only certainly makes sense for some cars. You have to look at the purpose of the car. Some sports cars may only offer a standard transmission with no auto option. Can you put a four speed automatic transmission on a ferrari? Yes. Does it necessarily make sense? No.

SimonVT

Aug 13, 2010
On that post you posted though he says he is having problems for him personally.

Me personally and on my phone and 2.8.8 I have NO problems. No bugs, no nothing. It plain works. So I don't see why he doesn't implement it again and have 2 downloadable versions. A beta so to speak.

Many devs do this to test things out. I'd be glad to try 2.9.6 with it implemented back in. Also too if it is that big of an issue, this is XDA and there are MANY people willing to help other people out.

And no, I don't think he is trying to frustrate anyone, but as I see it, the masses are wanting it back in. This is the largest topic in this thread. Sure there are a few other requests, but when you start reading, you can see what the masses Want. This is where the focus should be even if it is a beta version.

You never know, it may work fine if implemented back in to the newest version for most people. TESTING will be the only way to tell.

No, he's saying it's causing problems, and that he personally prefers it lightweight. You might think it's working fine, but if it's causing more trouble than good, his time is probably better spent elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure cloakt knows it's been requested, so no real point in arguing over it. Especially in the tone some is using.
In the end, he's not asking anything in return, and anyone is free to use one of the more feature-rich launchers.

quickstang

Sep 2, 2009
No, he's saying it's causing problems, and that he personally prefers it lightweight. You might think it's working fine, but if it's causing more trouble than good, his time is probably better spent elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure cloakt knows it's been requested, so no real point in arguing over it. Especially in the tone some is using.
In the end, he's not asking anything in return, and anyone is free to use one of the more feature-rich launchers.

I think lightweight is great and i'm glad the app is. I have tested some other launchers out there and I don't know where to begin because there are so many options. Kind of overwhelming. I however don't think adding the widget back in if possible will make it NOT lightweight. It's a highly used feature as you can see by the posts. No need to list how many requests not only on the thread but in the Marketplace about the topic, but the fact that focusing on it isn't something that's going to be bloat additions for the launcher. More like a basic feature.

The launcher is already a launcher you don't have to ask what these 20 options do because not many use them. However the scrollable widget is however something that is NOT a feature-rich option. All of that extra fancy stuff in other launchers is and i've never used it. This is why I love this launcher. I mean if I have to stick to 2.8.8, I have no problem doing so because it works without a flaw and has everything I need out of the launcher for my needs. I just wish I could update to the newer versions to keep it updated.

All we can do is just see how development goes. I have been trying out ADW Launcher as well, but have switched back to Zeam.

Whatever the case may be, I feel he may somehow incorporate it again in some way shape or form.

You are correct though how some are *****ing as in mad and angry, but that's not the way to be. Expressing your concern for what you would like to see or tips and help is another thing. This is what I am trying to do. But until then, 2.8.8 works fine, and those who HAVE to have it should use it as long as the latest version and other additions aren't that important. There are a few I would like, but I choose the older version as that option is more important than the additions.

Last edited:
Reactions: naguz and wayneywoo

arsonist63086

Aug 12, 2010
los angeles
thanx

thank for this launcher man i love it i have it on all my phones.. got into it with my g1 and loved it so decided to remove the stock launcher from the rom and installed zeam 2.8.8. and if i wanna update i up date and if u dont like the update all i do is just uninstall the update (since its in system apps now) ... ive been doing that to all my phone for more system mem (really needed on the G1) .. thanks again..

g1 - zeam 2.8.8 (sys mem)
huawie u8150- zeam 2.8.8 (sys mem)
G2 - zeam 2.8.8 (app mem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts