Captivate random shuts down

Search This thread

spyz88

Oct 28, 2008
I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

Last night I let it completely drain then completely charged it. When I picked it up it read 99% battery immediately. I went to get ready for work and check my email and it was shut off. I had to restart it again. Since then it seems as if the battery is lasting longer.

ice3186

Feb 26, 2008
random shutting down

Okay so i had this problem but it only arises for me when i do a few things. i have spent hours scratching my head about what it could be and through process of elimination i found on my phone it was one of two things.

1.) make sure that if you are using the auto kill feature in ATK that its not set to anything above safe

2.) if your using setcpu with profiles selected and have a very low profile for when the screen is off then try ramping that profile up a little bit to give the phone a chance to run background processes a little easier and actually wake up when you want it to!

hope it helps and if you give me info about what is going on then that should help us help you.

spyz88

Oct 28, 2008
Okay so i had this problem but it only arises for me when i do a few things. i have spent hours scratching my head about what it could be and through process of elimination i found on my phone it was one of two things.

1.) make sure that if you are using the auto kill feature in ATK that its not set to anything above safe

2.) if your using setcpu with profiles selected and have a very low profile for when the screen is off then try ramping that profile up a little bit to give the phone a chance to run background processes a little easier and actually wake up when you want it to!

hope it helps and if you give me info about what is going on then that should help us help you.

I havent been using ATK at all. Also does SetCPU really work with the hummingbird processor? When it boots it always kicks down to 19.2 which is obviously too low. I removed it just in case. I also set it back to the default settings. I would really enjoy SetCPU to save battery if it works of course. I thought it only works on HTC devices and Motorola devices?

Last edited:

domin8

Jun 28, 2010
San Diego (619)
i had setCPU on my phone yesterday and it was freezing like you describe when trying to bring it out of standby. I pulled the battery twice before i said F-it and took the program off. If you were using setCPU i'd say that was your problem.

spyz88

Oct 28, 2008
i had setCPU on my phone yesterday and it was freezing like you describe when trying to bring it out of standby. I pulled the battery twice before i said F-it and took the program off. If you were using setCPU i'd say that was your problem.

I deleted SetCPU and I thought it might be Screebl so I disabled it. Sure as hell it just went to a black screen and shut off again. God this is beyond annoying. I dont want to have to bring back this great phone but I need the phone to work.

madjsp

Jul 9, 2009
Galveston County, TX
We've also got to think, Samsung just released this phone. The more we do to it from the market, the more things are gonna happen.

Most devs haven't had the time to really test and relay bugs from this phone that would cause other errors.

spyz88

Oct 28, 2008
We've also got to think, Samsung just released this phone. The more we do to it from the market, the more things are gonna happen.

Most devs haven't had the time to really test and relay bugs from this phone that would cause other errors.

Yes but if I am correct none of these issues will be fixed until they decide to release FroYo?

EDIT: I just tried removing the MicroSD to see if that resolved the issue. Shocker...it didnt...

Last edited:

doug_s

Jul 18, 2010
I was wondering if anyone else's Captivate has shut down automatically? It happened 3 times yesterday the screen goes into standby mode but if you try waking it up you had to pull the battery.

Last night I let it completely drain then completely charged it. When I picked it up it read 99% battery immediately. I went to get ready for work and check my email and it was shut off. I had to restart it again. Since then it seems as if the battery is lasting longer.

This has happened to me once. Came out of a meeting, pulled it out of my pocket, and couldn't get it to wake from sleep. I have not installed SetCPU, so it's not that. Not sure what the root cause was.

THATTON

Aug 27, 2007
Bakersfield
Mine is doing the same **** and it is driving me NUTZ!!! I thought SetCPU first so I uninstalled and rebooted. Phone is still doing it. Please someone figure this out quickly. I am going through my apps one by one and uninstalling them to try to pinpoint the problem. Subscribing to the thread.

_Opiate_

Jun 1, 2010
Interesting.... I haven't heard this happen to me yet so its probably an application or process your guys all have in common.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

irmoballen

Jul 19, 2010
Like a lot of you, I started uninstalling my apps one by one when this happened. It stopped restarting after I finally uninstalled Launcher Pro. After that, the phone stayed on the whole night last night. It's weird because it worked with Launcher Pro for a good 2 days.

CryptArc

Jul 22, 2010
I'm also experiencing this issue, ad i've only downloaded a few apps.
Has anyone exchanged their phone over this yet?

spyz88

Oct 28, 2008
I'm having the same issue and I never had setCPU installed. sucks..

-Teklock

I reflashed to stock firmware and I'm still having an issue. I noticed that if you take the battery cover off the battery and push on it then it seems like it has a little give to it. Can anyone who is not having this problem confirm? Also, anyone who has this issue, please see if your battery has a little give to it.

It should be on the side WITHOUT the contacts. Also, if this doesn't work I'm bringing the phone back. I already had a problem with the first one and since this is my 2nd exchange AT&T wont exchange it anymore. They told me I need to go through the warranty. They are out of their minds the phone isn't even a week old. Never had these problems with HTC...

EDIT: I uninstalled ADW Launcher as a test to see if thats it.

EDIT 2: Make sure the battery door is covered tightly. I pushed mine all the way down until it clicks. Hold it down and then close the slider. I think this actually might fix the issue.

Last edited:

brisknfade

Apr 7, 2009
Anyone figure out why this keeps on happening? I've reflashed the stock as well and it still occurs randomly.

P

pongothemagnificent

Strange this dosnt happen to me, and i installed setcpu(performance governor 1ghz/800mhz) but uninstalled it after seeing that it ****'s up gles 2 rendering...

DesertZero

Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
I found this thread via Google search, and I just wanted to add that my phone started doing this last night, however, I have not added anything to my phone, nor is it modded in any way. It's completely stock. The only thing I have done thus far was remove all of the extra home pages and rearrange some app icons, and that was on Thursday and Friday. It does it both when it goes to sleep normally or if I hit the sleep/power button.

THATTON

Aug 27, 2007
Bakersfield
I narrowed mine down to SetCPU being underclocked while asleep. Bumped up the minimum clock and took off the profile I had set, phone hasn't rebooted in 4 days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ah interesting, I would think i9000 bootloaders on an i897 would CAUSE issues!

I put together a little package for anyone with an i897 captivate still having shutdown issues and is still frustrated. Give this a try, I have a feeling they will disappear.

Use this Odin one click to wipe/reset your phone to the latest official rom, uckk4. This one click INCLUDES the latest bootloaders ever released for our phone, both primary and secondary. These are the bootloaders that have made mine and others shutdown issue disappear. This is completely safe to one-click no matter what is on your phone right now, just use a reliable USB cable like with any other flash. No matter what state your phone is in, if you can get into download mode, this will wipe your phone to 2.3.5 with 2.3.5 bootloaders

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/android/i897uckk4 with latest BL.zip

After you've done that, use this odin package to install CWM recovery for the stock 2.3.5 installation you now have

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/android/uckk4 CWM recovery.zip

Now you can get into CWM and flash whatever rom you want! ICS, jellybean, whatever. And you now have the latest 2.3.5 bootloaders and your shutdown issue should be gone. I've done this several times to several captivates now with zero issues. I hope this helps someone!
    OK .. I remember being on I9000 and also on GB bootloaders and did not get SoD, but the system was super unstable.

Then I went back to stock Eclair and updated to CM9 and then CM10. I am supe stable, but have SoD in the morning right after I unplug the charger. Then they go away.

The thing is, CM10 has GB and then ICS bootloaders, right? The Bootloader image and kernel image still show AT&T, so I am a little skeptical, but I thought I replaced the bootloaders when upgrading to CM9. Throughts?

CM10 doesn't flash bootloaders. You'll know which bootloaders you're on with your boot screen (I897 or I9000).

In my sig, there's the link for the I9000 BLs if you wanna try them (at your own risk). Although, a couple other things can be checked first: Do you have Deep Idle on? Do you OC?

Also, you can try to up your min Mhz to 200 (from 100).
    Hi, I followed your suggestion of flashing the I9000 bootloader. My phone now gets past the Samsung Galaxy S screen but right after that it goes straight to CMW recovery.

EDIT: No matter what ROM I currently have flashed. (Currently flashing 4.2.1 prenightly CM10.1)

Having the I9000 bootloaders won't work for everyone and there are quite a few things you can do before flashing them, which I believe were mentioned earlier in this thread.
    So with the sod and the speaker problem I think our phones sucks, after changing them no one will want them so It will be with us FOREVER :)
    After having SO MANY Sleep deaths on hellybean 4.2.1 my phone was like impossible to use without being connected to the charger, so I went back to stock with heimdall one click uckb2 and unfortunaly tried to flash bootloaders. Operation went wrong, but I still can enter download mode pretty easy, flashed again without bootloaders but device won't boot. And also, tried to flash stock 2.3.5 with odin but windows 8 did not recognize the device (samsung drivers already installed) what a cappy mess!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1953930 for your connection problem.

Also, you will need to flash bootloaders, Odin KK4 with bootloaders is what you'll need.
    Edit: May/7 seems flashing the i9000 BL was a good idea, so far i have fully charged my phone twice and it did not shutdown, i've had no random reboots nor SOD at all. I'll keep testing.

-----------------------------------------------

Just for an update i think the i9000 bootloader will work i still need to test at list a week but if anyone else wants to try, i have read alot about this issue and people including devs have recommended it:

Here so useful info i have found:

Link to flash I9000 jvt bootloader and Odin:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23524416&postcount=916

Link for when using odin you get setting up connection.. which after unplug usb cable and re-starting in Download mode you get Firmware upgrade fail instead:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23171530&postcount=3

... yes i thought i had bricked my device (again) but thankfully i did not :cool:

NOTE: THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN ODIN AS "run as administrator" AND ALSO IF YOU ARE ON ICS/MIUI/CM7 ROM AS I WAS YOU MUST GO BACK TO STOCK, I PERSONALLY USED THIS ROM TO GO BACK TO 2.3.5 STOCK USING HEIMDALL (ROM WITHOUT BOOTLOADER SO IS SAFER).
    ONCE YOU'RE IN STOCK IT'S BETTER IF YOU INSTALL Kies THAT WAY YOU'RE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DRIVERS FOR STOCK (A RESTART AFTER INSTALLATION IS A MUST) SO YOU HAVE LESS CHANCE TO MESS UP USING ODIN.

So there you have it IF you want to test by yourself and not to wait for feedback after 4-5 days maybe a week of test for my/others part.

Ah and just in case another workaround i have find if your ROM have NS tools:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23383832&postcount=116

PS: If you need any driver just PM me, honestly this forum is a mess and even though im good with Android stuffs this is the first time i have trouble with a device (captivate) it has been a nightmare lol. So at this point i have researched alot and also it was a pain in the butt find the nexus S drivers to get adb working when i flashed ICS and not because i did not search for them but because all kind of reputable links were down or not working BUT i ended up finding the correct drivers.

~ Veronica