Captivate random shuts down

Search This thread
Sep 25, 2009
I received my replacment three days ago. Its been fine so far. Not a single shutdown.

The previous phone, clean factory OS no apps, would shut down 8 - 10 times a day. It never made it more than an hour or two without a shutdown.

vksf01

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
well I emailed samsung about this issue and used this website as proof of how widespread the issue is and this was their response:

"Samsung is aware about this issue and currently working on a fix for the same. Your information is forwarded to the concerned department and once the fix is out, you will be contacted accordingly."

that's good news. hopefully they'll fix this and the gps issue!

88EVGAFTW

Aug 17, 2010
San Diego, CA
Today was pretty bad, the phone shut off a total of 6 times so far, never had to take the battery out. Everytime it happened the phone was just idling at work or on my bed. I turned it back on and it would shut off on its own a few minutes later or whenever I checked it. Battery is sitting right now at 42% says the Sense Analog clock.

cpk86

Oct 5, 2009
Texas
Well crap. Now I don't know whether to wait and see if Sammy announces a real fix for this or take a chance on getting an even worse device and return it for a replacement. I've only had the phone a week and have experienced about 6 or 7 shutdowns since then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
It seems to be a hardware issue. The battery contact PINs are not strong enough to ensure the firm contact with battery all the time. Even if Samsung issues a fix for this, you will still need to swap your phone with AT&T anyway (warranty replacement only gives out refurbished phones, not new ones). I had that experience in the past (Samsung BJ1 antenna fix).

I'm pretty sure it is not a software problem. My phone never has this problem.

jcylcruzin

Aug 10, 2008
that's good news. hopefully they'll fix this and the gps issue!

I second that motion! Hey has your new phone got that problem? I was also having reception issues, app install failures as well as shut downs. Went in got a new SIM (original sim old and scratched) and immediate improved connectivity, 3g speed and wait for it.... 1st day in the last 2weeks without the dread morning phone coma!

jcylcruzin

Aug 10, 2008
:eek:We should all do like Belayson and email Shxtsung... Maybe more pressure would help get a solution sooner!

I bet the solution is named froyo!

Last edited:

xtremekilla09

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2009
Ok. So, I have also had this issue and I bought this phone 3 days ago. So far it has shut down on me only 5 times.

I use the SRE 1.2.2a root and tat's lag fix

I noticed that every time it did shut down, my battery level was 100 or close to it. It has never shutdown for me when it is below the upper 90's.
I read the post about the guy who said he unplugged the phone after clicking through the "battery full" dialog and the home screen, and that worked for me too.
But, I completely flashed my phone back to stock and then did all the mods again and it happened again this morning. So far, only one.

I assume this has to be a software issue and not a hardware issue.
Lets hope Samsung(or as many have started calling "Samsh*t") fixes this.

ianwood

Feb 27, 2005
Lost Angeles
I noticed that every time it did shut down, my battery level was 100 or close to it. It has never shutdown for me when it is below the upper 90's.
I read the post about the guy who said he unplugged the phone after clicking through the "battery full" dialog and the home screen, and that worked for me too.
But, I completely flashed my phone back to stock and then did all the mods again and it happened again this morning. So far, only one.

Mine used to only shut down when close to a full charge and then it started to do it all over the place which is when I took it back to the store. I am assuming the opposite of you and think it's more likely to be hardware related. It happens on both bone stock and modded phones and yet there are a number of phones not affected. I suspect there are some bad batteries coming from the factory.

Divinedark

Aug 26, 2010
Mine used to only shut down when close to a full charge and then it started to do it all over the place which is when I took it back to the store. I am assuming the opposite of you and think it's more likely to be hardware related. It happens on both bone stock and modded phones and yet there are a number of phones not affected. I suspect there are some bad batteries coming from the factory.

There's a quick and cheap fix if that's really the case. $10 will get you two HK batteries and an external battery charger. I'd like to see someone with chronic problems try this to see if it helps. It definitely sound like the phone is losing power completely. Whether that turns out to be the weak pin connectors as some have suggested, or the jacked up battery remains to be seen.

TH

vksf01

Jul 26, 2010
San Francisco
Ok. So, I have also had this issue and I bought this phone 3 days ago. So far it has shut down on me only 5 times.

I use the SRE 1.2.2a root and tat's lag fix

it's definitely some kind of power issue, since i was only getting the shutdowns when the battery was fully charged. that being said, my latest shutdown was a bit different. after it'd been up for 2 weeks, it shutdown while i was trying to adjust the volume when playing music. unlike my other shutdowns, the phone wouldn't start up again and i had to take the battery out and re-insert it before the phone would turn back on.

cpk86

Oct 5, 2009
Texas
Amazon is sending me my new phone and will be here by Tuesday. I'll try to post my experience with the new one. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

ianwood

Feb 27, 2005
Lost Angeles
unlike my other shutdowns, the phone wouldn't start up again and i had to take the battery out and re-insert it before the phone would turn back on.

Having to pull the battery tells me that it wasn't fully off and was locked up. And/or some transient out of bounds condition was occurring (e.g. low/high voltage) in the battery that corrected itself once you pulled it out.

Nimocone

Sep 3, 2010
Have had mine for around 2 weeks with no problems. Then 2 days ago it shut down twice. Yesterday once. I noticed it only happening when the battery is between 95-100%. Today, no issues. Stock phone and charges over-night.

NoSlo

Aug 11, 2010
IL
Well, i thought it only shut down when the battery was within certain percentages....nope. Shut down twice today with the battery at 42%-35% percent.

88EVGAFTW

Aug 17, 2010
San Diego, CA
Well, i thought it only shut down when the battery was within certain percentages....nope. Shut down twice today with the battery at 42%-35% percent.

Yep, mine went off during calls, while it was in my pocket, and while it was sitting at work on a desk. Battery was between 60-40% all day until I plugged it in a few min ago.

iamcombat

Aug 3, 2010
SetCPU 2.02 causes my phone to shut down randomly while in sleep mode...I removed it.....problem solved.

88EVGAFTW

Aug 17, 2010
San Diego, CA
A lot of us dont have set CPU, also a lot of people have said their phones shut off completely stock and mint. Weird. My sisters captivate hasn't shut off a single time, hers is 2 weeks old.

RexEscape

Oct 16, 2007
San Diego, CA
A lot of us dont have set CPU, also a lot of people have said their phones shut off completely stock and mint. Weird. My sisters captivate hasn't shut off a single time, hers is 2 weeks old.

Mine hasn't shut off in 2 weeks after leaving the Use GPS unchecked. I suspect that the GPS has something to do with it. Could you ask your sister if she's got the Use GPS Satellites checked on her phone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

iamcombat

Aug 3, 2010

I was just saying that was what caused mine to shut down. Otherwise I have no issues with random shut downs. Not as stock or flashed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ah interesting, I would think i9000 bootloaders on an i897 would CAUSE issues!

I put together a little package for anyone with an i897 captivate still having shutdown issues and is still frustrated. Give this a try, I have a feeling they will disappear.

Use this Odin one click to wipe/reset your phone to the latest official rom, uckk4. This one click INCLUDES the latest bootloaders ever released for our phone, both primary and secondary. These are the bootloaders that have made mine and others shutdown issue disappear. This is completely safe to one-click no matter what is on your phone right now, just use a reliable USB cable like with any other flash. No matter what state your phone is in, if you can get into download mode, this will wipe your phone to 2.3.5 with 2.3.5 bootloaders

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/android/i897uckk4 with latest BL.zip

After you've done that, use this odin package to install CWM recovery for the stock 2.3.5 installation you now have

http://fohdeesha.com/data/other/android/uckk4 CWM recovery.zip

Now you can get into CWM and flash whatever rom you want! ICS, jellybean, whatever. And you now have the latest 2.3.5 bootloaders and your shutdown issue should be gone. I've done this several times to several captivates now with zero issues. I hope this helps someone!
    OK .. I remember being on I9000 and also on GB bootloaders and did not get SoD, but the system was super unstable.

Then I went back to stock Eclair and updated to CM9 and then CM10. I am supe stable, but have SoD in the morning right after I unplug the charger. Then they go away.

The thing is, CM10 has GB and then ICS bootloaders, right? The Bootloader image and kernel image still show AT&T, so I am a little skeptical, but I thought I replaced the bootloaders when upgrading to CM9. Throughts?

CM10 doesn't flash bootloaders. You'll know which bootloaders you're on with your boot screen (I897 or I9000).

In my sig, there's the link for the I9000 BLs if you wanna try them (at your own risk). Although, a couple other things can be checked first: Do you have Deep Idle on? Do you OC?

Also, you can try to up your min Mhz to 200 (from 100).
    Hi, I followed your suggestion of flashing the I9000 bootloader. My phone now gets past the Samsung Galaxy S screen but right after that it goes straight to CMW recovery.

EDIT: No matter what ROM I currently have flashed. (Currently flashing 4.2.1 prenightly CM10.1)

Having the I9000 bootloaders won't work for everyone and there are quite a few things you can do before flashing them, which I believe were mentioned earlier in this thread.
    So with the sod and the speaker problem I think our phones sucks, after changing them no one will want them so It will be with us FOREVER :)
    After having SO MANY Sleep deaths on hellybean 4.2.1 my phone was like impossible to use without being connected to the charger, so I went back to stock with heimdall one click uckb2 and unfortunaly tried to flash bootloaders. Operation went wrong, but I still can enter download mode pretty easy, flashed again without bootloaders but device won't boot. And also, tried to flash stock 2.3.5 with odin but windows 8 did not recognize the device (samsung drivers already installed) what a cappy mess!!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1953930 for your connection problem.

Also, you will need to flash bootloaders, Odin KK4 with bootloaders is what you'll need.
    Edit: May/7 seems flashing the i9000 BL was a good idea, so far i have fully charged my phone twice and it did not shutdown, i've had no random reboots nor SOD at all. I'll keep testing.

-----------------------------------------------

Just for an update i think the i9000 bootloader will work i still need to test at list a week but if anyone else wants to try, i have read alot about this issue and people including devs have recommended it:

Here so useful info i have found:

Link to flash I9000 jvt bootloader and Odin:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23524416&postcount=916

Link for when using odin you get setting up connection.. which after unplug usb cable and re-starting in Download mode you get Firmware upgrade fail instead:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23171530&postcount=3

... yes i thought i had bricked my device (again) but thankfully i did not :cool:

NOTE: THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN ODIN AS "run as administrator" AND ALSO IF YOU ARE ON ICS/MIUI/CM7 ROM AS I WAS YOU MUST GO BACK TO STOCK, I PERSONALLY USED THIS ROM TO GO BACK TO 2.3.5 STOCK USING HEIMDALL (ROM WITHOUT BOOTLOADER SO IS SAFER).
    ONCE YOU'RE IN STOCK IT'S BETTER IF YOU INSTALL Kies THAT WAY YOU'RE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DRIVERS FOR STOCK (A RESTART AFTER INSTALLATION IS A MUST) SO YOU HAVE LESS CHANCE TO MESS UP USING ODIN.

So there you have it IF you want to test by yourself and not to wait for feedback after 4-5 days maybe a week of test for my/others part.

Ah and just in case another workaround i have find if your ROM have NS tools:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23383832&postcount=116

PS: If you need any driver just PM me, honestly this forum is a mess and even though im good with Android stuffs this is the first time i have trouble with a device (captivate) it has been a nightmare lol. So at this point i have researched alot and also it was a pain in the butt find the nexus S drivers to get adb working when i flashed ICS and not because i did not search for them but because all kind of reputable links were down or not working BUT i ended up finding the correct drivers.

~ Veronica