[Discussion] What's your next smartphone / What should I buy

Search This thread

bsnsxd

Mar 16, 2024
Modern day lower midrangers offer the luxury of 6gb ram, faster processors and are an exciting segment to look.

Here are few truly valuable midrangers, suiting our preferences: (premium camera, 4k video rec & microsd support)
  • Realme 12 plus - mar 24 _ 50p,8w,2m​

Realme, well known for its camera 1st approach and has recently released a bombshell right there.
  • Samsung F54 5g - July 23_ 64p,2w,8m​

A popular midranger over the past few months that ticks all boxes and even chosen as best midranger by many websites.
  • Oppo F25 Pro - Feb 24 _32p,2w,8m​

Very high bang for the buck right here and Camera has been a big flex of this phone.
  • Oppo Reno 11 -jan 24 _50p,8w,32t​

This phone is highly rated for its slowmo video especially and comes with a flagship telephoto lens as well. All this comes at a higher price making it a higher mid Ranger.

The moto G54 and G84 are the other big guns in the category but don't support 4k video and dont have macro lens.

(P - primary lens, W- wide angle, M - Macro, T - telephoto)
Thank you so much for the elaborate response, after 5 days of intense research, I wasn't happy enough with the offers at the 300-400 range, not enough to call the shot, so I ended up lowering the budget to avoid disappointment, and got a poco x6 for 277 euros, is alright, I feel like if I had forked out more for a redmi note 12 pro plus or note 13 pro plus, I would feel disappointed...

May 28, 2019

Its a bit older phone, but still nice.
Bit smaller screen size, smaller battery, less RAM, but a better camera, OTG support, and should get Android 14 too.

If the price is right, lower than G84, and you like the phone, go for it.

If the price is the same, and the camera is not in your focus, then get the G84 because it has an amasing battery life, microSD expansion is very nice too.
199€ for the Moto Edge 30 Neo, and 229€ for the g84. I have to admit that I like the edge because of the dimensions, it's basicaly the same size of my old g6 play; Thanks for the advices!

Thank you so much for the elaborate response, after 5 days of intense research, I wasn't happy enough with the offers at the 300-400 range, not enough to call the shot, so I ended up lowering the budget to avoid disappointment, and got a poco x6 for 277 euros, is alright, I feel like if I had forked out more for a redmi note 12 pro plus or note 13 pro plus, I would feel disappointed...
Ya.. famous phone man..and it meets all your requirements exc the 4k recording.

Poco X series is one of the few 7 or 8 rom phone seriess out there, with active custom rom development/ maximum developer friendly. Just learnt few things about your phone seriess.. You can check those facts here:

You've made a future proof choice mate, cheers!

bsnsxd

Mar 16, 2024
Ya.. famous phone man..and it meets all your requirements exc the 4k recording.

Poco X series is one of the few 7 or 8 rom phone seriess out there, with active custom rom development/ maximum developer friendly. Just learnt few things about your phone seriess.. You can check those facts here:

You've made a future proof choice mate, cheers!
yea I used to play around with custom roms way back, with a moto g, zenfone 5, galaxy s2 lite, but tbh nowadays phones are so connected to my identity that I don't bother updating myself on it, is it still risky to run custom ROM's?

yea I used to play around with custom roms way back, with a moto g, zenfone 5, galaxy s2 lite, but tbh nowadays phones are so connected to my identity that I don't bother updating myself on it, is it still risky to run custom ROM's?
Absolutely No mate(because the websites today provide a detailed instruction).. and whatever happens can be reversed.

Hey don't worry.. youll recive 2 years stock updates.. Long time to go man..

I don't mean safety regarding bricking the phone, but rather security issues regarding banking apps, identity theft, plain old hacking
Mate.. We are slightly going off topic., i was the one who distracted you about flashing and stuff. Apologies. Let's keep the thread refined! Ya.. These topics should be discussed in relevant threads/personal chats.

Anyways, is it safe to install banking apps? There's a special thread for the qn mate:

https://xdaforums.com/t/why-you-shouldnt-install-banking-apps-on-rooted-phones.4566867/

I agree with them, even at the developer level, the issues that could happen is unpredictable. So they conclude/discourage us from installing banking/shopping apps in custom roms. They expect us to be a responsible user, well informed and keeping the banking apps to firmware locked devices/ just to handle it old fashioned debit cards etc.

But at the moment i am having a banking app, installed in my non rooted custom rom. But i am planning to uninstall it in a few months, once the financial transactions/need increase.
Okay. Agree, i answered it quite passively. And it isn't the main topic/focus of this thread ain't it mate!

While flashing any custom roms, we should proceed with caution and follow each and every step in the official website/developer with utmost care. Possibility of bricking/bootloop should never be ruled out and we must always have a plan B - having a twrp backup/ firmware to restore any brick that happens/adb codes to restore factory partition. And plan B is widespread - the are numerous workarounds discussed in xda forums/ other android communities -advised to read more/view more tutorials and become more confident and then flash.

Ofc we might end up in an irreversible/hard brick, if flashed recklessly/ irresponsibly/ incompatible roms are flashed.
- Ive personally bricked/boot looped my op6t as i failed to follow the LOS steps correctly. Reading xda forum of some random device bailed me out.

Hope it's correct now @Paulkw
Anyway @bsnsxd intended to ask about safety of banking apps in custom roms.

Last edited:

Paulkw

May 14, 2016
Mate.. We are slightly going off topic., i was the one who distracted you about flashing and stuff. Apologies. Let's keep the thread refined! Ya.. These topics should be discussed in relevant threads/personal chats.

Anyways, is it safe to install banking apps? There's a special thread for the qn mate:

https://xdaforums.com/t/why-you-shouldnt-install-banking-apps-on-rooted-phones.4566867/

I agree with them, even at the developer level, the issues that could happen is unpredictable. So they conclude/discourage us from installing banking/shopping apps in custom roms. They expect us to be a responsible user, well informed and keeping the banking apps to firmware locked devices/ just to handle it old fashioned debit cards etc.

But at the moment i am having a banking app, installed in my non rooted custom rom. But i am planning to uninstall it in a few months, once the financial transactions/need increase.

Okay. Agree, i answered it quite passively. And it isn't the main topic/focus of this thread ain't it mate!

While flashing any custom roms, we should proceed with caution and follow each and every step in the official website/developer with utmost care. Possibility of bricking/bootloop should never be ruled out and we must always have a plan B - having a twrp backup/ firmware to restore any brick that happens/adb codes to restore factory partition. And plan B is widespread - the are numerous workarounds discussed in xda forums/ other android communities -advised to read more/view more tutorials and become more confident and then flash.

Ofc we might end up in an irreversible/hard brick, if flashed recklessly/ irresponsibly/ incompatible roms are flashed.
- Ive personally bricked/boot looped my op6t as i failed to follow the LOS steps correctly. Reading xda forum of some random device bailed me out.

Yeah, what I had in mind though was not so much the risk of bricking your device but things like unlocking the bootloader which on most devices is irreversible

o1nder

Mar 28, 2024
So I'm planning to try upgrade from an Samsung A04s but planning to buy 2nd hand so I don't how the value changes.

I'm roughly gonna spend up to 400

S22+ €406/ S21 ultra 5g €392/ S20 ultra €370/ Pixel 7a €361/ IPhone 11 Pro max €340/ Google Pixel 7 €325/ Iphone 12 €305/ S21 + 5g €304/ Iphone 11€ 300/ Samsung A54 5g €296/ S21 €282/

What would be best for value and be good quality.

Top Liked Posts

Yeah, what I had in mind though was not so much the risk of bricking your device but things like unlocking the bootloader which on most devices is irreversible

Got the Edge 30 Ultra for 430€ - it was a long search, but its a very good choice for that money in Europe/AT.

Hello, I need some advice for a new phone.I was fine with my old g6 play until he broke(charging iusses).
    I need it for 3 usage:
    -daily driver
    -my app development and debug( not published on the store so I don't care about android version).
    -I want to try to build my own ROM as described in some tutorials here on xda.
    So main feature that I'm looking:
    - easy unlockable bootloader
    -better if the it's not exotic so maybe it will be easy to port lineage os or others.
    -Not too big (5 inch g6 play was fine, but I won't 7 inch display in my pocket!!)
    -decent photo, speed and battery usage.
    -compass
    -I don't care about software update etc.
    -price: I hope under 250€

What about the Moto G84?

You can get it for 200€, nice SOC, its not a no-name brand - pure Android,
    Qualcomm SoC - so there will be a lot custom ROMs.

Help me choose between budget Samsung and older Xperia

I always tended to buy second hand devices and really liked Xperias, my last phone was XA2 which I was able to utilise for long thanks to LineageOS. But since my banking app and NFC payments stopped working, and I don't have inclination anymore to tinker endlessly with safetynet etc., I decided to get a new device.

So first I went looking for something usable for around $100 (I know, pretty low budget, but that's me haha), and since I had bought previously a Samsung A14 for my girlriend and she's happy with it, I went for one too (4G version, new). After using it for a few weeks, I'm quite impressed with One UI over stock Android, and it's good to know there will be updates (I think it's going to get Android 15). What I'm not sure about is the size, I'm used to small phones, but then again having a big screen is nice as well. I don't watch much youtube on phone though. The phone has only 4GB RAM though and does lag sometimes. I'm fairly basic user overall, just need phone for messages and calls, ocassional photos and yt. Also I noticed. for some reason the smart lock (exten unlock) is kind of unreliable, which is annoying. Also sound quality is lacking, even after installing third party equalizer.

So I kept thinking, maybe I should get somehing second-hand with better specs, andI really like small phones, so I went looking on ebay and ended up getting an Xperia 10 III at good price. I like the specs better - OLED, 6GB RAM, feels more snappy, but it runs on Android 13 (I was suprised not to see much customisation from Sony like in older Xperias). Still fairly recent. Weird form factor though, I think it's 21:9, but I like it.

So now I'm stuck with these 2 phones and can't decide which to keep. Which one in the long run will be more reliable and less headache? Any recommendations? (edit: I'm not planning to use them for longer than say 2 years).

You can buy the G42 for about 115€ - maybe you should look into that phone:

And for about 155€ you can get the G72:

Mostly pure Android, no ads, will serve you well.
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Any hint how I can obtain physical access to a device that I don't own yet in order to install this certainly great app for the suggested check?
    It's unlikely, but I'd love to witness this: a Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy Nexus Note operating on Ice Cream Sandwich with just soft keys.
    G53 is a low end phone - G42 is a better choice.
    Amoled, FHD, better SoC etc

Xperia 10 III is as good as G42, with more RAM, but an older phone and cost more:
    Before you buy an used phone, check it with this app:

See how many charging cycles it has.
    500+ and you know the battery is on way down.
    Thanks. Won't work on my phone as it's for Android 14, but am looking for another app to check number of cycles.
    mines is either galaxy s3 or galaxy note for t-mobile

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
    For sure Samsung Galaxy S3

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7000 mit Tapatalk
    Asus Padfone for me!
    Not sure yet, but seeing as my HTC has had its life dramatically extended by HTC unlocking bootloader for thier devices and so making it much easier to root and mod I am finding it difficult to find a complelling reason to move from HTC
    Probably the Galaxy S3. Hopefully we'll see an updated Note later in the year.