[GUIDE] CWRecovery for MAC Users

Search This thread

pfarrelliv

Dec 5, 2010
Oregon
ahh crap. i screwed up the last line of terminal commands.

when it came to this part:
# ./redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bml8
i accidentally entered the one from the first time:
# ./redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bml7
:mad:

tried to go back and redo from step one, but it won't do it.

any way to fix it?

mccloskeym

Mar 5, 2010
Columbus, Oh
This worked :)

I actually had to use a bit of both of your posts to get mine working. These are the steps I followed:

Copy zImage to the root folder of your SD Card
Open Terminal
$ cd (path to android sdk)/tools
$ ./adb push (path to redband_ua)/redbend_ua /data/local
$ ./adb shell
$ cd /data/local/tmp
$ chmod 0755 rage.bin
$ ./rage.bin

(username)$ ./adb shell
# mount -t rfs -o remount,rw /dev/block/stl9 /system
# cd /data/local
# chmod 755 redbend_ua
# ./redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bml7
--Phone Reboots--
$ ./adb shell
$ su
# cd /data/local
# ./redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bml8

This one worked. SOmeone should sticky this because getting the POS Samsung to work on anything but a PC (no VMs even work) is next to impossible. This will be my last Samsung phone for sure despite the amazing screen.

times_infinity

Clockwork is recovery. It doesn't affect anything ota. And you wont have to use odin for messing up cwm unless you're a complete idiot.

Posted from my SCH-I500 (Samsung Fascinate with Voodoo @ 1200 MHz)

Well clockwork or any custom kernel that you're flashing will most certainly get overwritten if you do an ota update. Samsung are a buncha sneaky bastids.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

erichss

Mar 30, 2008
The instructions in the sticky say to follow the instructions in the readme.txt file in the .zip - as stated by the OP, the instructions in here are missing a few key things that would keep people from worrying during installation. The [Mac] information in the sticky should be updated with instructions from this post.

All the instructions provided helped with my installation, but I ran into an issue I didn't see posted anywhere.

Here are the steps I used:

Code:
[mac] $ cd <sdk_path>
[mac] $ ./adb push <zip_path>/redbend_ua /data/local/
[mac] $ ./adb push <zip_path>/zImage /sdcard/
[mac] $ ./adb shell
[adb] $ su
[adb] # cd /data/local
[adb] # chmod 755 redbend_ua
[adb] # ./redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bml7

*** At this point, the phone screen goes black and says "System updated. Rebooting.." and the phone reboots.

What went different for me after this point is I had to disconnect the phone from the USB port to get it to be recognized by the SDK/adb. When I did get it to recognize, once I got into the shell adb would freeze and I couldn't type the last command. I rebooted the phone, tried different USB ports, restarted the SDK... same... adb would just freeze up and I couldn't type anything. When I run ./adb devices, it seems the phone disconnects itself after a while which is very strange.

From that point I just used the Terminal Emulator app to type the last few commands directly from the phone:

Code:
[term] $ su
[term] # cd /data/local
[term] # ./redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bml8

Then the phone reboots again like it did the first time.

After this last command it seems my phone can keep its adb connection to the SDK again, which is good.

Thanks to everyone who put the instructions together. I didn't really have a need for Clockworkmod up to this point, but seeing as how the updates are taking forever to come from Samsung/Verizon I'd rather get some of these annoying bugs fixed myself instead of waiting until 2012 for a fix.

when I type "su" in the steps, it tells me permission denied.....

enserio

Oct 26, 2010
California
im getting -bash command not found

after trying to push the redbend.

Help me out please, trying to make the gf's phone less annoying. thanks in advance

mbucks911

Nov 24, 2011
Washington DC
I am familiar with adb and did everything just as you said but after the first reboot it rebooted into recovery and now I am stuck in recovery. Any idea how to fix this without Odin? Or if Odin must be used any way without wiping all data? Thx for the method though I only blame myself :)

Stephen.k.spear

Jul 12, 2011
West Palm Beach
I am familiar with adb and did everything just as you said but after the first reboot it rebooted into recovery and now I am stuck in recovery. Any idea how to fix this without Odin? Or if Odin must be used any way without wiping all data? Thx for the method though I only blame myself :)

No this is horribly out dated. This was when we were first getting CMW on the fascinate like 7 days after release... Insert JT plug here!....

Your gonna want to ODIN thats your best bet. I would keep backups with tibu and save them to you dropbox or computer in the future...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I actually had to use a bit of both of your posts to get mine working. These are the steps I followed:

Copy zImage to the root folder of your SD Card
    Open Terminal
    $ cd (path to android sdk)/tools
    $ ./adb push (path to redband_ua)/redbend_ua /data/local
    $ ./adb shell
    $ cd /data/local/tmp
    $ chmod 0755 rage.bin
    $ ./rage.bin

What am I doing wrong here? cd to the /tmp directory i get nothing after hitting enter.

MBP:tools BenjaminDover$ ./adb push /Users/BenjaminDover/Desktop/nixCWMfascinate/redbend_ua /data/local
    596 KB/s (313888 bytes in 0.513s)
    MBP:tools BenjaminDover$ ./adb shell
    $ cd /data/local/tmp
    $ chmod 0755 rage.bin
    Unable to chmod rage.bin: No such file or directory

I just want to make a nandroid before loading a new ROM lol
    Finally installed Clockworkmod - I know... welcome to last year

The instructions in the sticky say to follow the instructions in the readme.txt file in the .zip - as stated by the OP, the instructions in here are missing a few key things that would keep people from worrying during installation. The [Mac] information in the sticky should be updated with instructions from this post.

All the instructions provided helped with my installation, but I ran into an issue I didn't see posted anywhere.

Here are the steps I used:

Code:
    [mac] $ cd <sdk_path>
    [mac] $ ./adb push <zip_path>/redbend_ua /data/local/
    [mac] $ ./adb push <zip_path>/zImage /sdcard/
    [mac] $ ./adb shell
    [adb] $ su
    [adb] # cd /data/local
    [adb] # chmod 755 redbend_ua
    [adb] # ./redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bml7

*** At this point, the phone screen goes black and says "System updated. Rebooting.." and the phone reboots.

What went different for me after this point is I had to disconnect the phone from the USB port to get it to be recognized by the SDK/adb. When I did get it to recognize, once I got into the shell adb would freeze and I couldn't type the last command. I rebooted the phone, tried different USB ports, restarted the SDK... same... adb would just freeze up and I couldn't type anything. When I run ./adb devices, it seems the phone disconnects itself after a while which is very strange.

From that point I just used the Terminal Emulator app to type the last few commands directly from the phone:

Code:
    [term] $ su
    [term] # cd /data/local
    [term] # ./redbend_ua restore /sdcard/zImage /dev/block/bml8

Then the phone reboots again like it did the first time.

After this last command it seems my phone can keep its adb connection to the SDK again, which is good.

Thanks to everyone who put the instructions together. I didn't really have a need for Clockworkmod up to this point, but seeing as how the updates are taking forever to come from Samsung/Verizon I'd rather get some of these annoying bugs fixed myself instead of waiting until 2012 for a fix.