[Q] Active cmdline overflow (1613 bytes)

Search This thread

mblucified

May 1, 2014
Hello!

My phone switched off because it ran out of battery and when I tried to charge it it showed me a white screen with "active cmdline overflow (1613 bytes)" flashing at the bottom. I've Googled and read threads and they were all talking about flash kernels and all and I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. I've never downloaded or upgraded anything in my phone to alter the programming; I am a noob. The last Andriod system update was months ago. I have no idea what to do now. 'Recovery' brings me back to the same screen, as does 'Reboot'/'Fastboot'/'Reboot bootloader'. Now the screen is exactly the same except it no longer says "active cmdline overflow (1613 bytes)". I have yet to try factory reset as I just got back from an overseas exchange and I haven't downloaded all my photos to other devices. My laptop recognises that there is a HTC device connected to it, but it does not allow to do anything to the phone.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

***LOCKED***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.56.0000
RADIO-4A.23.3263.28
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-4.20.707.6
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Jan 22 2014,13:37:31.0

FASTBOOT USB

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Hello!

My phone switched off because it ran out of battery and when I tried to charge it it showed me a white screen with "active cmdline overflow (1613 bytes)" flashing at the bottom. I've Googled and read threads and they were all talking about flash kernels and all and I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. I've never downloaded or upgraded anything in my phone to alter the programming; I am a noob. The last Andriod system update was months ago. I have no idea what to do now. 'Recovery' brings me back to the same screen, as does 'Reboot'/'Fastboot'/'Reboot bootloader'. Now the screen is exactly the same except it no longer says "active cmdline overflow (1613 bytes)". I have yet to try factory reset as I just got back from an overseas exchange and I haven't downloaded all my photos to other devices. My laptop recognises that there is a HTC device connected to it, but it does not allow to do anything to the phone.

***LOCKED***
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.56.0000
RADIO-4A.23.3263.28
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-4.20.707.6
eMMC-boot 2048MB

FASTBOOT USB

In my opinion: send it off to repair now. don't try fixing it.

You don't seem to have unlocked or flashed anything, so you can safely assume it's a hardware problem, and if you try to mess with your phone now, you're just going down a deep hole.

@cschmitt just tagging you for info :eek:

mblucified

May 1, 2014
Thank you!

I've sent it for repair. They say it's not in their policy to recover any data though. :/ I guess there's no other way...

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Thank you!

I've sent it for repair. They say it's not in their policy to recover any data though. :/ I guess there's no other way...

I can imagine it's not what you were hoping for, but even had you tried, what we do here, the first thing would be to unlock your bootloader.... and that in itself would have wiped your phone completely, with zero chance of any recovery... AND you would have lost any kind of chance on warranty.

It's quite clear that it's a hardware defect, so they should repair it, but the loss of pictures (and any other data) is always a "not so nice" feeling (so i avoid using the other word ;))

Always, keep your "camera upload" to dropbox enabled, then you still have most/some of them somewhere in the "cloud".

Sorry :(

mblucified

May 1, 2014
I can imagine it's not what you were hoping for, but even had you tried, what we do here, the first thing would be to unlock your bootloader.... and that in itself would have wiped your phone completely, with zero chance of any recovery... AND you would have lost any kind of chance on warranty.

It's quite clear that it's a hardware defect, so they should repair it, but the loss of pictures (and any other data) is always a "not so nice" feeling (so i avoid using the other word ;))

Always, keep your "camera upload" to dropbox enabled, then you still have most/some of them somewhere in the "cloud".

Sorry :(

Whoa I have no idea what that means but the phone's with the repair centre now so all I can do is wait and pray. :/ I'm still under warranty so at least I don't have to pay for it. ^^ I never backup my data online because I don't like having so much personal stuff floating about in the net... But I guess I'm gonna have to start doing so. Thank you so much for your concern and advice though! I was siriusly crying at the shop when they said they were gonna delete all the data before they can start attempting any repairs; I think I scared the staff lol.

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Whoa I have no idea what that means but the phone's with the repair centre now so all I can do is wait and pray. :/ I'm still under warranty so at least I don't have to pay for it. ^^ I never backup my data online because I don't like having so much personal stuff floating about in the net... But I guess I'm gonna have to start doing so. Thank you so much for your concern and advice though! I was siriusly crying at the shop when they said they were gonna delete all the data before they can start attempting any repairs; I think I scared the staff lol.

What I meant was, that if you had already unlocked your bootloader and "messed" with your phone, then fine, we could try fixing it (would have lost the information most likely anyway).

But you didn't "mess" with your phone, so the safest action is to send it to repair... and unless they put some serious (and probably futile) effort, into trying to recover the data, it's just not going to happen.

If it makes you feel any better, on my old Sensation, with MicroSD card which I can take out anytime I like, plug it into my PC, and have all kinds of software try to fix things.... I still lost most of the photos on it, that were never saved anywhere else :(
... i still keep them on my PC, though the files are nulls, not even a little thumbnail :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello!

***LOCKED***
    M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
    HBOOT-1.56.0000
    RADIO-4A.23.3263.28
    OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
    OS-4.20.707.6
    eMMC-boot 2048MB

FASTBOOT USB

In my opinion: send it off to repair now. don't try fixing it.

You don't seem to have unlocked or flashed anything, so you can safely assume it's a hardware problem, and if you try to mess with your phone now, you're just going down a deep hole.

@cschmitt just tagging you for info :eek: