I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip (5/12/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
This "KeepRoot" method uses a modified version of the official MK2 to NC5 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining your User Data & Root Access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result is a Fully Functioning, 100% Stock, Rooted, NC5 Device.

**Closing my thread now that a direct root method has been found**

**Prerequisite** This method requires that your MK2 system is 100% stock except for root and Safestrap (Optional: see Post# 2 for "MK2 Pre-Flash System Check"). The update will fail if any system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, etc. You must first restore the stock files or reflash back to stock MK2 and re-root. The file does not contain the NC5 bootloader and should it fail will leave your current system intact. Proceed at Your Own Risk!.

Here it is: I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip

1. Place the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
*2. Unrooted NC5 users should first follow the instructions in @Surge1223 thread to Downgrade to MK2
3. Use Saferoot to root MK2 then install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk
4. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
5. Flash the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into "Download Mode".
6. Last, flash the NC5_Stock_Kernel+Modem in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

*MK2 users can skip Step# 2.

Once complete the phone will reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Should the update fail please post the entire error message before requesting assistance. Or, refer to Post #3 for some very useful links and resources!

Optional: @Surge1223 's I545VRUFNC5_enable_tether.zip
Instructions:
1. After flashing the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip and booting into 4.4.2
2. Place @Surge1223's I545VRUFNC5_enable_tether.zip in ext sdcard.
3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the file in "Stock Slot" (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)
4. Reboot. Done!

Known Issues: Safestrap.apk may force close after updating to NC5 using this method, however Safestrap recovery will continue to function. Optional: To manually uninstall Safestrap use Es File Explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck, then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall Safestrap at a later time).

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
MK2 Pre-Flash System Check

Please thank @k1mu for the following:

"One thing I did (attached to this post) is to write a simple script that verifies the contents of the MK2 build on the phone before trying the upgrade. It's a lot easier to read the errors using terminal emulator or adb shell.

Unzip the attached, then put it onto your phone - either write the "mk2-verify.sh" file onto the external SDcard on your PC, or push it there using:

Code:
adb push mk2-verify.sh /data/local/tmp

Then, run the script - if you put the file onto the external SDcard, then:

Code:
su -c sh /storage/extSdCard/mk2-verify.sh

otherwise, if pushed over ADB:

Code:
su -c sh /data/local/tmp/mk2-verify.sh

It'll either say "Checking files.." followed by "Checking done!" or it'll tell you that some file is tampered with or can't be found. In that case, you'll need to flash the no-wipe MK2 to get back to stock (or repair the missing file some other way.)"

Attachments

• mk2-verify.zip
    44.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Reactions: rbird2

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Useful Links & Related Resources

Please thank @rbird2 for the following:

"Failed the "MK2 Pre-Flash System Check" so I performed a "Full Wipe" reverting my Samsung Galaxy S4 back to stock MK2 using the following procedure: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

If you are not familiar with this process the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8XwuRYoWU&feature=youtu.be may be helpful.

I then rooted the stock MK2 with this procedure: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 and then followed your instructions.

This process works and I still have Root.

Thank you,"

Rodger

Last edited:

klabit87

Jul 11, 2011
Does this also update our bootloader? I am already updated to nc5 rooted but just curious as I have retained my mj7 bootloader.
It's great to see several different options/methods available to update.
Thanks for your time and hard work.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Does this also update our bootloader? I am already updated to nc5 rooted but just curious as I have retained my mj7 bootloader.

It does not and no problem, hopefully it'll prove to be another viable option to keep root.

Reactions: klabit87

klabit87

Jul 11, 2011

Edit: Sorry just read the op again and realized you already stated it does not contain the bootloader.

mcbeat257

May 8, 2014
Fairfax
Google Pixel 6 Pro
This "Keep Root" method uses a modified version of the official MK2 to NC5 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining root access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result should be a 100% Stock, Rooted, NC5 Device. I have successfully used this methodology on two 4.4 OTA updates for the AT&T I337 but have not had any testers for this I545 version. Therefore I thought that I would post it for anyone willing to try it.

This method requires that your MK2 system is 100% stock, except for root and Safestrap. The update will fail if any system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, etc. You must first restore the stock files or reflash back to stock MK2, re-root, and re-install Safestrap. Because the file does not contain the NC5 bootloader and will fail if the above requirements are not met while leaving your current system intact, there is little risk involved. However and as always Proceed at Your Own Risk.

1. Download the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip and place in the root of your ext sdcard.
2. Make certain that you have installed the latest Safestrap v3.72(NB1)apk
3. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
4. Flash the MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into Download mode.
5. Last, flash the NC5_Stock_Kernel in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Once complete the phone should reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Should you decide to try this and have met the above requirements, and most important followed the directions without deviating from them, then please post your results for the benefit of all. Should the update fail please post the entire error message for assistance.
Known Issues: TBD

I am running an SCH-I545 and I have tested it and it has been proven to work.
Sill have root and everything.

-=puma=-

Sep 7, 2007
Bendery
seosafe.ru
After flash phone did not work, I have restored it through Odin I545VRUEMK2_I545VZWEMK2_VZV and today again like your flash method, surprisingly flashed without problems.
Perhaps the problem was due to the fact that the phone was flashed Samsung Kies 3. After flashed Odin I545VRUEMK2_I545VZWEMK2_VZW all was well.
But there is a problem! WiFi does not work and can not deliver morelocale Russian language.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This "KeepRoot" method uses a modified version of the official MK2 to NC5 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining your User Data & Root Access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result is a Fully Functioning, 100% Stock, Rooted, NC5 Device.

**Closing my thread now that a direct root method has been found**

**Prerequisite** This method requires that your MK2 system is 100% stock except for root and Safestrap (Optional: see Post# 2 for "MK2 Pre-Flash System Check"). The update will fail if any system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, etc. You must first restore the stock files or reflash back to stock MK2 and re-root. The file does not contain the NC5 bootloader and should it fail will leave your current system intact. Proceed at Your Own Risk!.

1. Place the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the root of your ext sdcard.
    *2. Unrooted NC5 users should first follow the instructions in @Surge1223 thread to Downgrade to MK2
    3. Use Saferoot to root MK2 then install the latest Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk
    4. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
    5. Flash the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into "Download Mode".
    6. Last, flash the NC5_Stock_Kernel+Modem in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

*MK2 users can skip Step# 2.

Once complete the phone will reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Should the update fail please post the entire error message before requesting assistance. Or, refer to Post #3 for some very useful links and resources!

Optional: @Surge1223 's I545VRUFNC5_enable_tether.zip
    Instructions:
    1. After flashing the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip and booting into 4.4.2
    2. Place @Surge1223's I545VRUFNC5_enable_tether.zip in ext sdcard.
    3. Reboot into Safestrap recovery and flash the file in "Stock Slot" (Do Not Wipe Prior to Flashing!)
    4. Reboot. Done!

Known Issues: Safestrap.apk may force close after updating to NC5 using this method, however Safestrap recovery will continue to function. Optional: To manually uninstall Safestrap use Es File Explorer to delete system/etc/safestrap and system/bin/e2fsck, then rename system/bin/e2fsck.bin to e2fsck (save these files if you wish to manually reinstall Safestrap at a later time).
    Anyone that used this method and experienced the safestrap FC issue can solve the issue by using the selinux mode changer apk mentioned by @Maribou in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53431153&postcount=1944

Just install the apk and set selinux to permissive and reboot. Done!

I have requested that this thread be closed now that towelroot is available. Cheers!
    Worked for me!

Failed the "MK2 Pre-Flash System Check" so I performed a "Full Wipe" reverting my Samsung Galaxy S4 back to stock MK2 using the following procedure: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2578209

If you are not familiar with this process the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL8XwuRYoWU&feature=youtu.be may be helpful.

I then rooted the stock MK2 with this procedure: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758 and then followed your instructions.

The only thing that may be confusing is the Safestrap app is called "Safestrap-JFLTE-3.72-kk-B01.apk" not "Safestrap v3.72(NB1)apk".

This process works and I still have Root.

Thank you,

Rodger
    Any one ekse having a issue with 64 gig se card titanium back up pro keep saying folder not writable on sd card.

Yes, that's a "feature" of KitKat. Writes to the external SDcard are blocked for a number of applications.

To fix this, edit /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml using a root-aware browser.
    Find the area with "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" and change it to

Code:
        <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
            <group gid="sdcard_r" />
            <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
            <group gid="media_rw" />
        </permission>

What you need to do is to insert the "<group gid="media_rw" />" line.
    Save it, reboot, profit.
    This "Keep Root" method uses a modified version of the official MK2 to NC5 OTA Update.zip to upgrade while maintaining root access! The file is flashed in Safestrap and the end result should be a 100% Stock, Rooted, NC5 Device. I have successfully used this methodology on two 4.4 OTA updates for the AT&T I337 but have not had any testers for this I545 version. Therefore I thought that I would post it for anyone willing to try it.

This method requires that your MK2 system is 100% stock, except for root and Safestrap. The update will fail if any system files have been modified or deleted, e.g. thru Xposed, etc. You must first restore the stock files or reflash back to stock MK2, re-root, and re-install Safestrap. Because the file does not contain the NC5 bootloader and will fail if the above requirements are not met while leaving your current system intact, there is little risk involved. However and as always Proceed at Your Own Risk.

1. Download the I545_MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip and place in the root of your ext sdcard.
    2. Make certain that you have installed the latest Safestrap v3.72(NB1)apk
    3. Boot into Safestrap recovery but Do Not Wipe!.
    4. Flash the MK2toNC5_KeepRoot_OTA.zip in the "Stock Slot." Once flashing is complete press "Home" and reboot into Download mode.
    5. Last, flash the NC5_Stock_Kernel in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).

Once complete the phone should reboot then "optimize apps" before completely rebooting. Done!

Should you decide to try this and have met the above requirements, and most important followed the directions without deviating from them, then please post your results for the benefit of all. Should the update fail please post the entire error message for assistance.
    Known Issues: TBD

I am running an SCH-I545 and I have tested it and it has been proven to work.
    Sill have root and everything.