S-OFF explained - by a Developer

Search This thread

Vancer

Mar 19, 2008
Why don't system apps come back after a reboot if I haven't unlocked my bootloader if you cannot permanently alter /system with a locked phone? Or are apps at not at as deep of a level as the OP is talking about? Like I screwed up an app so bad I had to RUU to get it back because none of my backups seemed to work even after rebooting many times. I would continue to get a forced close message every time.

Are u rooted? You can get root without unlocking the bootloader ... in which case you can write to the system partition and permanently change things

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
There's a thread in the themes and apps section on an app called voodoo ota rootkeeper (or something like that) that can temporary unroot your phone to accept those updates. Never used it myself, but will probably get it for exactly this scenario.

I have used it on two tablets and it worked both times. I also have it installed. Just have to remember to actually open the app and protect the root. Just installing it won't help.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Are u rooted? You can get root without unlocking the bootloader ... in which case you can write to the system partition and permanently change things

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

Yes I am rooted, but I was wondering what he meant in his third paragraph where he said the partitions cannot be altered. He was talking about s-on which I am. I am assuming making changes to system apps and files isn't altering the actual partition but that's what I was confused about. I thought by deleting a system app I was altering the partition but I must not be. I must be altering an item on the partition which is allowed with root.

Thanks :) Just typing it helped me understand it a bit more.

Last edited:

Duce HD2

Apr 2, 2010
UT
So if you want to have any sort of fun with the phone, s-off is pretty much mandatory ...otherwise mods, etc won't stick. Good to know, was just going to ask about this. New to HTC, coming from the whole Galaxy line. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Reactions: regaw_leinad

acorreapr

Oct 18, 2008
S-on

Lately I have read many posts with wrong assumptions about S-OFF. I am writing this post in General to clear up to many of you what S-OFF is and isn't.

To start off, S-OFF has nothing to do with your phone being rooted. I've seen people post that S-OFF means a "full" root, or "permanent" root. Those terms aren't even correct, root is just another user on the linux system, and you either have access to it or you don't. Rooting your phone and what that entails is out of the scope of this writeup.

When your device is shipped, your bootloader will show the flag S-ON. This stands for Security-On. What this security does is protect the NAND partitions (ie: the boot partition, the recovery partition, the radio, the system partition...) from being permanently modified at all. Basically, all changes made to these partitions while the phone is running is not permanent, and will be reset upon a reboot. Also, while your phone is S-ON, all firmware zips (ie: PJ75IMG.zip) must be digitally signed by HTC in order to be flashed through the bootloader.

When your device is set to S-OFF, the security is turned off. This allows you to modify any partition on the device, and changes will not be reset upon a reboot. Also, the signature checking of the firmware zips (ie: PJ75IMG.zip) is disabled, allowing users to flash unsigned firmware zips containing the separate images of the partitions. S-OFF gives the user great power over the device, but also comes with much responsibility to be careful.

I have seen many posts stating the term "S-OFF root". As I stated earlier, S-OFF and root are completely different things. When you have S-OFF in the bootloader, you then can flash a package containing Superuser.apk and the su binary, which in turn will give you root in the file system when the device is booted. Again, S-OFF does not mean you have root. You can have S-OFF set (if there was an S-OFF exploit released) on the stock phone running the stock unchanged ROM, and not have root in the file system because you haven't pushed/flashed the Superuser.apk and su binaries on your phone yet.

I have also seen many posts about people not "trusting" the bootloader unlock at HTCdev. Yes, we all know that it does not set the bootloader to S-OFF, but it does unlock the partitions that are needed to flash a custom recovery, and through that flash a custom ROM. This is probably the most trustworthy way to "unlock" the bootloader. Any S-OFF method released here in the future will most likely be a hack to make it work. Imagine if HTC gave out the radio S-OFF unlock. That would mean ANYONE (specifically people who are very flash happy) could find a random radio firmware zip which.. oops.. isn't for the correct device, flash it through the S-OFF bootloader, and brick their device. Releasing the limited unlocking was very smart by HTC, and will definitely save many phones from ending up in the graveyard.

Now I am not saying I do not want S-OFF haha. As a developer, S-OFF is well needed and is extremely useful. It's definitely being worked on. But for the average flasher, (of ROMs, not human parts ;) ) radio S-OFF is not needed.

Hope this clears up confusion about what S-ON and S-OFF is. I will add to this as I feel necessary, and to clear up some of my sentences (Sometimes I start typing before I finish thinking of what I'm going to type).

Thanks for explain S-ON S-OFF
OK .....I have a EVO 4G LTE after run to root ....said "tampered" but security in ON ....I can run tether without problem...the phone are rooted I tested with root cheker...I want to flash a custom rom with TWR but I cant all time fails ...what I need to put S-OFF? Thanks
HBOOT 2.09.00 ....Radio 1.13.11.0830 .......android 4.1.1

gstanke

Dec 21, 2013
Flint
Thanks for explain S-ON S-OFF
OK .....I have a EVO 4G LTE after run to root ....said "tampered" but security in ON ....I can run tether without problem...the phone are rooted I tested with root cheker...I want to flash a custom rom with TWR but I cant all time fails ...what I need to put S-OFF? Thanks
HBOOT 2.09.00 ....Radio 1.13.11.0830 .......android 4.1.1

Try Rumrunner. It should get s-off for you

Sent from my EVO using XDA Free mobile app

theob_gyn88

Nov 5, 2013
Fairchild AFB, WA
This noob needs a lifeline!!

WOW, excellent explanation!!

I have a Sprint HTC Evo 4G LTE, I'd like to make S-OFF. Currently, the bootloader is HTCDev unlocked and I already have TWRP 2.5, Titanium Backup, GooManager, ES File Explorer, MSL Reader, SetCPU, and SuperSU. But I'm really not sure exactly which CustomROM is best for me, or even how to flash it.

I've already made two Nandroid Backups and a few TB's, as well.

Magnum_Enforcer

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 14, 2012
Birmingham, AL
WOW, excellent explanation!!

I have a Sprint HTC Evo 4G LTE, I'd like to make S-OFF. Currently, the bootloader is HTCDev unlocked and I already have TWRP 2.5, Titanium Backup, GooManager, ES File Explorer, MSL Reader, SetCPU, and SuperSU. But I'm really not sure exactly which CustomROM is best for me, or even how to flash it.

I've already made two Nandroid Backups and a few TB's, as well.

The best ROM is the one that works best for you. If you ask ten people here which ROM is best, you're likely to get ten different answers. Hit up the two development forums and start reading, and go from there. Once you find a ROM, download it to your phone. Reboot to recovery and do a full wipe (system, data), then flash the ROM zip. This is the typical procedure for flashing Sense ROM's. If you want to flash AOSP ROM's you also have to flash the applicable Gapps package that goes with the ROM. Once you've done this, you can reboot to the OS and begin setting up your phone to your liking. Try a few different ROM's until you find one you really like.

Sent from my HTC device

Reactions: gstanke

theob_gyn88

Nov 5, 2013
Fairchild AFB, WA
Another question from an enlightened one: I want to unlock the bootloader on another Evo 4G LTE, but make it S-ON. What apps would YOU recommend I use, to prevent the loss of all the data(apps, system data, photos, movies, etc.) I defer to your best choices.:cool:

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
Only ever had to get s-off a handful of times. Thanks for the correction. Can you get s-on again?
Yes, but it must be done manually, and only after a full RUU has been run. Trying to set S-ON on a modified HBOOT will brick the device into Qualcomm Download mode.

That's why it's never recommended to set S-ON once S-OFF is achieved.

HTC Sensation

Sep 7, 2011
Ok, thnak you guys.
If i have s-off on kitkat and hboot 3.19 can i update it to lolipop (custom, android revolution hd ) without loosing it ?

Thnak you !

Last edited:

bigp951

Apr 17, 2015
Fullerton
just wondering , with s-off could someone flash additional bands into their radio?

EDIT- the answer is yes

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Lately I have read many posts with wrong assumptions about S-OFF. I am writing this post in General to clear up to many of you what S-OFF is and isn't.

To start off, S-OFF has nothing to do with your phone being rooted. I've seen people post that S-OFF means a "full" root, or "permanent" root. Those terms aren't even correct, root is just another user on the linux system, and you either have access to it or you don't. Rooting your phone and what that entails is out of the scope of this writeup.

When your device is shipped, your bootloader will show the flag S-ON. This stands for Security-On. What this security does is protect the NAND partitions (ie: the boot partition, the recovery partition, the radio, the system partition...) from being permanently modified at all. Basically, all changes made to these partitions while the phone is running is not permanent, and will be reset upon a reboot. Also, while your phone is S-ON, all firmware zips (ie: PJ75IMG.zip) must be digitally signed by HTC in order to be flashed through the bootloader.

When your device is set to S-OFF, the security is turned off. This allows you to modify any partition on the device, and changes will not be reset upon a reboot. Also, the signature checking of the firmware zips (ie: PJ75IMG.zip) is disabled, allowing users to flash unsigned firmware zips containing the separate images of the partitions. S-OFF gives the user great power over the device, but also comes with much responsibility to be careful.

I have seen many posts stating the term "S-OFF root". As I stated earlier, S-OFF and root are completely different things. When you have S-OFF in the bootloader, you then can flash a package containing Superuser.apk and the su binary, which in turn will give you root in the file system when the device is booted. Again, S-OFF does not mean you have root. You can have S-OFF set (if there was an S-OFF exploit released) on the stock phone running the stock unchanged ROM, and not have root in the file system because you haven't pushed/flashed the Superuser.apk and su binaries on your phone yet.

I have also seen many posts about people not "trusting" the bootloader unlock at HTCdev. Yes, we all know that it does not set the bootloader to S-OFF, but it does unlock the partitions that are needed to flash a custom recovery, and through that flash a custom ROM. This is probably the most trustworthy way to "unlock" the bootloader. Any S-OFF method released here in the future will most likely be a hack to make it work. Imagine if HTC gave out the radio S-OFF unlock. That would mean ANYONE (specifically people who are very flash happy) could find a random radio firmware zip which.. oops.. isn't for the correct device, flash it through the S-OFF bootloader, and brick their device. Releasing the limited unlocking was very smart by HTC, and will definitely save many phones from ending up in the graveyard.

Now I am not saying I do not want S-OFF haha. As a developer, S-OFF is well needed and is extremely useful. It's definitely being worked on. But for the average flasher, (of ROMs, not human parts ;) ) radio S-OFF is not needed.

Hope this clears up confusion about what S-ON and S-OFF is. I will add to this as I feel necessary, and to clear up some of my sentences (Sometimes I start typing before I finish thinking of what I'm going to type).
    If I may add to this discussion ...

If you do not already know these terms and what they mean you should probably not be attempting to root your phone yet

You should instead invest some time reading and learning first.
    I personally want S-Off.

Mainly because I prefer not notify HTC that I'm unlocked.

Occasionally it's fun to dabble in trying newer radios and is sometimes required for later releases of the OS. Radio firmware can add or take away some functionality as well (like VPN).

Yes, we know it's dangerous, it's pretty rare folks dork their phones because they had s-off. But one of the worst examples is the flash happy folks on the EVO 3D that flashed Virgin Mobile firmware and should not have (myself included).

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Thank you for the great info! While not a noob(have had rooted, s-off OG 4G, and 3D, just rooted EVO LTE), I don't understand, nor want to, at an advanced level, Linux, ADB,FASTBOOT, etc. I like making my phone my own, and like flashing ROM's. I tried to use the HTC method of unlocking, but am just not comfortable with my skills to try and use SDK/ADB/FASTBOOT. Perhaps I can find someone in San Antonio to show me, but unless/until, I'll wait for someone such as yourself to provide a "dumbed-down" method. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise.:)

It's really not that hard. No harder than figuring out how to use recovery, bootloader etc.. The current root procedure you just did on the LTE used ADB !! Just follow procedures.
    Great post. I don't like it when people use the incorrect terms either, and have made similar posts on other forums, specifically relating to the OG. I usually recommend that noobs that "want to root" use the HTC unlocker because, as you pointed out, it's a safer solution for those that don't really know what they're doing.

Unfortunately, because that process is somewhat involved, many users new to Android or just not technically inclined prefer to use what this community has to offer. That's good, I suppose, as that's one of the reasons this community exists, but I strongly feel like it takes away some user responsibility to get to know their device. If people would take the time to learn about adb and fastboot and find out what an RUU is and what the /misc partition is, I feel like there would a lot more contributors on this forum than whining leechers.

I've personally never been one to follow instructions without first at least trying to understand what I'm doing, but I guess not everyone is like that.

At any rate, thanks for the post, and I'm sure I'll see everyone around a bit more once Amazon finally delivers my phone.