[HOW-TO] Install 2.1 + Fastboot + Recovery + Custom ROMs on GT540! (n00b friendly!)

Search This thread

Aktivehate

Nov 10, 2010
I have one problem after flashing the recovery trought fastboot, i can enter the recovery but it does'nt is on the screen. I can check that it is in recovevery trough adb but is just doesn't show up at the screen, the backlight is on but there is nothing more to see than just a black screen. Someone know how to fix this?
It's a GT540GO, can it be that it have something to doe with that?

effortless.

Jul 11, 2011
I have one problem after flashing the recovery trought fastboot, i can enter the recovery but it does'nt is on the screen. I can check that it is in recovevery trough adb but is just doesn't show up at the screen, the backlight is on but there is nothing more to see than just a black screen. Someone know how to fix this?
It's a GT540GO, can it be that it have something to doe with that?

You can try running adb devices and you should get your devices serial number and it should say recovery next to it.

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
Awesome post I remember my first time using kdz. Etc

Wasn't nice grabbing snippits of info good to see it all in one place

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda premium

Aktivehate

Nov 10, 2010
I did that, that's how i know that's in recovery mode.
But i don't have a bootanim or so, just same as with the recovery, but this problem already was there before I flashed it.
Maybe try to erase the system partition before flashing it?

effortless.

Jul 11, 2011
I did that, that's how i know that's in recovery mode.
But i don't have a bootanim or so, just same as with the recovery, but this problem already was there before I flashed it.
Maybe try to erase the system partition before flashing it?

You will have to follow these steps (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10238074&postcount=41) and you will get recovery and boot animations back. BTW, i'll add this to the guide for anyone who gets this issue.

EDIT: Added it now under the 'flashing recovery' step.

Last edited:

rekcah_ogami

May 2, 2011
Hi guys. I'm really a noob when it comes to these things. So basically, I do the said steps first then I could flash any rom right? I downloaded everything that was mentioned. Thanks for the replies.

Danzano

May 21, 2011
Auckland
Although remember when switching between 2.1 2.2 and 2.3.5 to make full backup before hand and a full wipe you may run into issues otherwise

Sent from my tf101 using xda premium 1.4ghz
3v3g985

Peahnuts

Nov 5, 2010
I kind of screwed myself over, I installed V20A_00.kdz and out.kdz from the no boot animation link before trying to install clockwork and such, any help on where to go from here?
PS. When I launch the phone normally I seem to get lots and lots of force closes, can't even go into settings and do a factory reset or turn on debugging (don't know how it isn't on since I couldn't turn it off since settings kept force closing)

Last edited:

effortless.

Jul 11, 2011
I kind of screwed myself over, I installed V20A_00.kdz and out.kdz from the no boot animation link before trying to install clockwork and such, any help on where to go from here?
PS. When I launch the phone normally I seem to get lots and lots of force closes, can't even go into settings and do a factory reset or turn on debugging (don't know how it isn't on since I couldn't turn it off since settings kept force closing)

Follow the steps that are after the boot logo steps. (Installing custom ROMs)

As for the force closes, do a factory reset in fastboot or recovery. Fastboot involves using the fastboot.exe file, and running the fastboot -w command (when the phone is in fastboot mode) Also, be sure to factory reset before flashing a new ROM to avoid these force closes again.

Reactions: Peahnuts

Peahnuts

Nov 5, 2010
As for the force closes, do a factory reset in fastboot or recovery. Fastboot involves using the fastboot.exe file, and running the fastboot -w command (when the phone is in fastboot mode) Also, be sure to factory reset before flashing a new ROM to avoid these force closes again.

Hey thanks, got everything sorted out, running CM7 Gingerbread and all that jazz, though the new Android Market and small icons/fonts is some places kind of f'k up my eyes lol. Anyway thanks for the detailed thread. Appreciated.

pinkhearts777

Nov 18, 2011
I think I must upgrade my phone in order to get the 3G network working. But I'm intimidated by the big, bold, red message in the beginning about bricking the phone. O_O

Maybe I should pay an experienced person to do it....lol.
Is this newbie friendly for real? I've never updated any phones before, especially not like this haha.

All I want to do is upgrade my android v1.6 to 2.3.7 or something that would work with 3G...and I'm not totally grasping the steps of doing this yet. A lot of new terms I need to research as I am unfamiliar with it.

-Grift-

Jan 9, 2011
Singapore
well we all started this way like me :) 13 years old (now 14) dint know what the hell to do but this is worth it! all you need to do is to follow the thread! well if you dont believe that it is better interms of performance then go to the market and download quandrant (its a benchmarking app) i scored 1416 using 2.3.7 so im very sure you will only score at best less then 1000 all of us here arnt pros at this but give it a shot!

the choice is yours!

as for the terms like kdz and etc it grows with time. after awhile you WILL get it or just ask :)!

Last edited:
Reactions: pinkhearts777

pinkhearts777

Nov 18, 2011
Okay I'm doing this right now.
I noticed that the Software Updater [KDZ] says that I should back up the files/data of my phone before proceeding, how can I do this?

I don't have any important info stored on my phone yet, but I assume it wants me to back up the actual software, the Android 1.6? right?

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Next put your phone in Fastboot mode by rebooting then holding Camera+Power, make sure USB Cable is plugged in. Also let Windows search Windows Update for drivers.

Download fastboot.exe from here: http://adf.ly/2M8Hi and extract it to the desktop. Also put the recovery image you downloaded onto the desktop too.
Be sure to have your fastboot drivers installed, if you use Vista/Windows 7 then the driver should be auto-downloaded from Windows Update, if you use XP or the drivers won't install from Windows Update, then look at this.

Open a command prompt and type the following:
Code:
cd Desktop
fastboot devices (if you see ?       fastboot then your device is recognized)
fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.img
fastboot reboot

When fastboot says rebooting, hold down HOME and wait. You should see clockwork pop up. Recovery is now on your phone. You can delete the fastboot, kdz and recovery file from your pc because we won't be needing them again. Unless you need to use fastboot.exe again, but just download the fastboot.zip again if you need it) The other files, we don't need.

(NOTE: If your phone reboots with no boot logos (LG logo and animation), or when you flash recovery and it doesn't come up, follow the steps found here. Thanks to fishears for the post!)

Okay, that's where I started having problems. My phone reboots automatically when I press the power button (instead of turning it completely off). After I pressed and held the "Camera + Power" to fastboot, all I get is a blank black screen. Yes the phone is on. No message came up that said "rebooting" so I couldn't hold the HOME key.

My computer is a Windows Vista and it couldn't install the fastboot driver update, so I went to the suggested website (junefabrics.com) to download that PdaNet driver. That had problems installing. It says I had to go into my phone to Settings---> Applications--> Development and enable "USB debugging". I did that the first time, but I assume that since I no longer have version 1.6 in my phone I would need to do it again. Problem is, my phone is stuck at the blank black screen and I can't go into my phone.

What's the issue here? Thanks!

*UPDATE: I am currently trying the method here :http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=10238074&postcount=41 to see if it can fix it. I have noticed that right after step 6 (when FrenchV20C it is finished updating), I do see the LG logo. I don't know what comes after that though as I followed step 7 and pulled out the USB right when that appeared. Now I'm downloading "out.kdz", like the steps said to do*

*UPDATE 2: So as I'm waiting for out.kdz to download, the KDZ updater suddenly pops up an "Step : Upgrade Error error code = 6" for the FrenchV20C update when my phone isn't plugged into the computer anymore...I'm worried. This didn't happen the first time I did it.*

*UPDATE 3: So now I followed all the steps and installed "out.kdz". When I put the battery and SIM back in my phone and turn it on, the logos are all there but I get an annoying error message every 1-2 seconds "Sorry! The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." OMG. Please help. FIXED, thank you. I did a hard reset by pressing the volume up + home + search button. The BIG question is what do I do from here? The phone says I have the 2.1 update already. Should I still try to fastboot + recovery + get custom rom? All I want to do is get a 3g internet connection on my phone. (If the phone itself can be faster, that will be a bonus for me...but it isn't that bad as-is now.)

Last edited:

-Grift-

Jan 9, 2011
Singapore
WAIT ONCE U GET A BLACK SCREEN BY HOLDING POWER AND CAMERA IT IS FASTBOOT!!!! ONCE IN FASTBBOT PLUG IN PHONE INTO COMPUTER AND SINCE ITS WINDOWS 7 IT SHOULD INSTALL. SOME DRIVERS ITS SELF IF NOT KEEP TRYING ITWILL INSTALL SOONER OR LATER ... phew

pinkhearts777

Nov 18, 2011
WAIT ONCE U GET A BLACK SCREEN BY HOLDING POWER AND CAMERA IT IS FASTBOOT!!!! ONCE IN FASTBBOT PLUG IN PHONE INTO COMPUTER AND SINCE ITS WINDOWS 7 IT SHOULD INSTALL. SOME DRIVERS ITS SELF IF NOT KEEP TRYING ITWILL INSTALL SOONER OR LATER ... phew

My computer is a Vista and it had problems installing the driver..it couldn't find anything. It asked for the CD that came with my device. But there was no CD in the box.

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

I'm guessing the version of 2.1 I have now is the standard stock version? What are the exact benefits of fastboot + recovery + custom rom to 2.3.7? I'm trying to see if it is worth the risk of further messing with my phone. Thanks.

-Grift-

Jan 9, 2011
Singapore
na its 99% impossible to brick the phone now that you have a unlocked phone and fastboot mode cus now you can manage system,boot,data,cache and recovery partitions it is only (bricked) cus there are things missing or corrupted in the system partition but now you can remove the whole system and put in a new one... erm as for drivers (im on win 7 ) i got my fastboot drivers from the windows update so did my bro (winxp) its called google fastboot interface i think

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A WARNING: IN THE EVENT OF A BRICKED DEVICE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE! YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. KDZ UPDATER WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE IF NOT USED PROPERLY. SO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!!!

So, you want to install custom recovery and custom ROMs? Well, you're in the right place. Follow this guide to it's exact instructions, and you will be fine.

You will need:
    A computer running Windows (Sorry Mac & Linux users!)
    Your phones USB cable. (If you don't have one, you can see a list of them here on Amazon)

We will need a couple of downloads first, so download these files:
    V20C Orange France Fastboot ROM (It doesn't matter that it's Orange France, we are replacing the software anyway, I recommend this one as it fixes some calling issues by flashing a new baseband (or Radio).
    KDZ Updater

Also, make sure you have your drivers installed. If you don't, get the .zip from here and install all 3 .exe files that are in the zip.

Now to install the Fastboot ROM!

First of all, extract KDZ Updater to the desktop. Then run the msxml.msi file to install the MSXML Parser that is needed to run KDZ. A window should then pop up that looks like this:
    xmlinstall.png

^^Select install now.

But if this comes up:
    xmlalreadyinstalled.png

It is already installed, and you can close the window.

Once that is sorted, open up KDZ_FW_UPD.exe (Windows Vista/7 users, make sure to right click and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR!)
    Change the type of flash by selecting the 'Type' dropdown box and select 3GQCT (SUPER IMPORTANT!)
    And make sure PhoneMode is set to DIAG.
    Click the
    unlediop.png
    icon and select the KDZ file you downloaded earlier.

Prepare the phone by enabling USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development>Enable USB Debugging, also go into Settings>SDCard & Phone Storage and make sure 'Mass storage only' is unticked. Then connect the phone to the computer via USB cable and let Windows install any drivers it needs.

Click 'Launch software update' and do not use your computer until the update is complete. The update will take roughly 10-20 mins to complete. Your phone should reboot automatically.

Installing recovery:

You have multiple choices to choose from.

ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.1.8 (Recommended)

ClockworkMod Recovery 4.x (Recommended but you may run into incompatible .zip files, download the recovery_clockwork_x.x.x.x_swift.zip file)

Amon RA 2.2.1 (Recommended)

Amon RA 1.7.0.1 (Not recommended due to incompatibility with zip files and recovery backups. Also .zips must be signed)

Download the recovery image of your choice (I strongly recommend Clockwork 2.5.1.8)

Next put your phone in Fastboot mode by rebooting then holding Camera+Power, make sure USB Cable is plugged in. Also let Windows search Windows Update for drivers.

Download fastboot.exe from here: http://adf.ly/2M8Hi and extract it to the desktop. Also put the recovery image you downloaded onto the desktop too.
    Be sure to have your fastboot drivers installed, if you use Vista/Windows 7 then the driver should be auto-downloaded from Windows Update, if you use XP or the drivers won't install from Windows Update, then look at this.

Open a command prompt and type the following:
    Code:
    cd Desktop
    fastboot devices (if you see ?       fastboot then your device is recognized)
    fastboot flash recovery name_of_recovery.img
    fastboot reboot

When fastboot says rebooting, hold down HOME and wait. You should see clockwork pop up. Recovery is now on your phone. You can delete the fastboot, kdz and recovery file from your pc because we won't be needing them again. Unless you need to use fastboot.exe again, but just download the fastboot.zip again if you need it) The other files, we don't need.

(NOTE: If your phone reboots with no boot logos (LG logo and animation), or when you flash recovery and it doesn't come up, follow the steps found here. Thanks to fishears for the post!)

Now, installing custom ROMs. Pick any ROM you'd like from the ROM Development section, if you can, get the recovery version, it is much easier to install. Determine if it is a recovery backup, or update.zip

Recovery backups usually contain some .img files and a nandroid.md5 file. The folder containing these files will need to go in the sdcard\clockworkmod\backup folder. Flash them by going to Backup/Restore>Restore>Then pick the backup folder.

Recovery update.zips contain three (or four) files/folders:
    boot.img (file)
    install-busybox.sh (file, only appears in SOME ROMs)
    system (folder)
    META-INF (folder)

DO NOT EXTRACT THESE, just put the .zip file on your sdcard, then go into recovery and go to install .zip from sdcard>choose .zip>pick the .zip you downloaded. (NOTE FOR SWIFTDROID: You MUST put the update-cm-xxxxx.zip file found in the SwiftDroid_x.x.x.x_Recovery.zip on your sdcard for it to install!!!)

If you need any help, PM me or reply to this thread.

Don't forget to say
    thanksbutton.png
    if I helped!

Enjoy!

Want to go 'advanced'? Check out this guide resizing your partitions so you can have more app space!

(Also, if a mod could sticky this thread I would be very thankful. Cheers!)
    hello guys i have
    fastboot files (fastboot.exe , adb.exe) here

kdz updater
    here

i dont have a fastboot rom but (thanks lavero.burgos!!)
    here

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

@up no you MUST use kdz updater first the rom your are using does not have any fastboot or recovery so this is the only method GUYS IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS ASK HERE FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE OR YOU MIGHT JUST KILL YOUR PHONE
    great work man.. only regret you did not post this earlier for me,as i took about 2 days to flash my phone for first time.. lol

found that helped me using recovery.

Follow the steps that are after the boot logo steps. (Installing custom ROMs)

Thanks man, nice thread.You helped me alot :)