Firekit LiveUSB repair kit 1.1- when you're about to kill Windows

Search This thread

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
Yeah hold your power button down for a minute and power it back on while attached you might get some dialogue on your kindle screen about it being restored to factory after a bit if not use fastboot commands to set your bootmode to normal

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Adeel1234

May 23, 2012
Guys, same here as shantan, had to use the usb trick of opening up the back of the kindle to short out the connection and after MULTIPLE tries got it just right but it went as far as

sending 2nd stage to target...
waiting for second stage response...
sending image to target...
fixing partitions...
<waiting for device>

then nothing happened for about 5-10 minutes so I tried again from the begining and got the same results, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

same here i am always stucking at that point what should i do

-FuRBz-

Jun 28, 2010
Boston
I had been sh!ttin bricks 'cause my fire wouldnt even turn on..
Just opened it and did the usb short and it worked!!

So effing relieved!!

yourbrotherrex

Mar 4, 2012
Just wanted to chime in: After more than a week of pulling my hair out, and almost giving up, I finally found this tool. After performing the USB trick, it worked perfectly, and I was able to restore two fires that I was convinced were unsaveable.
However, I will say that I never had any luck whatsoever using a paper clip for the short method. I finally yanked a piece of wire out of a dead PC that was in a junk pile, and it worked immediately.
Just a tip..may make someone's effort a little easier.
Thanks very, very much.

Sent from my Galaxy NexusFire using Tapatalk 2

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
a few people were able to partition around the damaged blocks, it all depends on where the damage is.

edit. I notice pokey's work seems to have helped out far more people than he has thanks, I know that it's a very nail biting time when performing this GREAT trick, but please try to remember at least to hit pokey's thanks button
sent from my new non bricked kindle:)

Last edited:

balakrishnan111

Dec 15, 2011
Help me

I tried out in Ubuntu 11.

tried "usb_install_fff_twrp" since There is No significane for KIndle living.

It says

waiting for OMAP44xx device...

Tried up for 2 Hours,

1. Removed Back cover.
2. Connect CPU Frame and pin point as in picture.
3. Attached USB in kindle(SInce i already connected in PC)
4. I hope that there should br Low battery.(So i put it in charger, I hope it is charged to somewat since it is in little High Temp.)
)
5. Again I tried But no use.

(Also i did Before Shorting, REmoved Battery Wire connection and again Connected it. Then pressed Power button for nearly 30 secs. )

Help me please

Thepooch

Mar 31, 2012
When it says waiting then apply the short trick plug it in and keep it applied till the script runs also make sure whatever your using to short has good conductivity :)

Reactions: balakrishnan111

balakrishnan111

Dec 15, 2011
I stuck at "Waiting for device."

When it says waiting then apply the short trick plug it in and keep it applied till the script runs also make sure whatever your using to short has good conductivity :)

Again tried.....

I stuck at "Waiting for device."

i charged up Kindle fire (Lightly Heats up) that it is active but i am not able to unbrick it.

Does it required ADB or Android SDK SHOULD INSTALLED in ubuntu?

Last edited:

Adeel1234

May 23, 2012
dear balakrishnan i am stucked at same point like you

i think that firekit should be made again for peoples bricked their device with custom roms

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010
I need help please. I was following jcase/pokey's instructions for trying to root a stock kindle fire from a ubuntu machine. i think i got stuck at fastboot, because all i saw was the kindle fire logo. unfortunately, i disconnected the device.

i followed your instructions and made a usb stick and did the following:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo /cdrom/fk
5837+1 records in
5837+1 records out
5977554 bytes (6.0 MB) copied, 0.66837 s, 8.9 MB/s
Stopping any running adb servers...
Done. Tools are in /root/firekit. Files copied to USB are likely in /cdrom
Scripts:
install_fff_twrp_from_stock - install FFF and TWRP while in stock Android
install_fff_twrp - install FFF and TWRP while in fastboot
fix_parts - restore partition table to stock while in fastboot
normal_boot - set the bootmode to boot android and reboot while in fastboot
usb_boot_twrp - USB boot TWRP without installing
usb_install_fff_twrp - USB boot FFF, install FFF and TWRP
usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp - USB boot FFF, restore partition
table to stock, install FFF and TWRP
Good luck. -pokey9000
root@ubuntu:~/firekit# normal_boot
Resetting bootmode to standard boot...
< waiting for device >

it has said it is wating for device for nearly 30 minutes.....can you help? is it not seeing the kf? if so, how can i fix it?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
Try plugging in kindle then power off (30 second hold) then run script and when it says waiting for device press the power button.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

bennettg

Nov 11, 2010
I need help please. I was following jcase/pokey's instructions for trying to root a stock kindle fire from a ubuntu machine. i think i got stuck at fastboot, because all i saw was the kindle fire logo. unfortunately, i disconnected the device.

i followed your instructions and made a usb stick and did the following:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo /cdrom/fk
5837+1 records in
5837+1 records out
5977554 bytes (6.0 MB) copied, 0.66837 s, 8.9 MB/s
Stopping any running adb servers...
Done. Tools are in /root/firekit. Files copied to USB are likely in /cdrom
Scripts:
install_fff_twrp_from_stock - install FFF and TWRP while in stock Android
install_fff_twrp - install FFF and TWRP while in fastboot
fix_parts - restore partition table to stock while in fastboot
normal_boot - set the bootmode to boot android and reboot while in fastboot
usb_boot_twrp - USB boot TWRP without installing
usb_install_fff_twrp - USB boot FFF, install FFF and TWRP
usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp - USB boot FFF, restore partition
table to stock, install FFF and TWRP
Good luck. -pokey9000
root@ubuntu:~/firekit# normal_boot
Resetting bootmode to standard boot...
< waiting for device >

it has said it is wating for device for nearly 30 minutes.....can you help? is it not seeing the kf? if so, how can i fix it?

thanks in advance

Try plugging in kindle then power off (30 second hold) then run script and when it says waiting for device press the power button.

I followed your instructions, but nothing changed. any other ideas?

Adeel1234

May 23, 2012
firekit 1.1 is now obsolete should be updated

I followed your instructions, but nothing changed. any other ideas?

nothing will work this firekit was made back in 2011 dec..we need updated firekit for custom rom bricked kindle fire

and hashcode's cwm bricked kindle like mine.

hashcode should contribute to update the firekit.

balakrishnan111

Dec 15, 2011
Tried

I tried out to unbrink my KF in ubuntu. But Shorting trick Not works for me. I for get to mention that, I recently Updated to ICS :confused: . Since it is Custom ROM, Firekit fails to Unbrick or any other reasion.........

Help me to Unbrick KF...........

:eek::(:crying:

Adeel1234

May 23, 2012
yes u are right balakrishnan dear firekit should be updated for ics custom rom

I tried out to unbrink my KF in ubuntu. But Shorting trick Not works for me. I for get to mention that, I recently Updated to ICS :confused: . Since it is Custom ROM, Firekit fails to Unbrick or any other reasion.........

Help me to Unbrick KF...........

:eek::(:crying:

yes u are right balakrishnan dear firekit should be updated for ics custom rom

i was last using gederom ics when my kindle bricked...

pokey and hashcode plz help us

balakrishnan111

Dec 15, 2011
Is there any one here which Firekit helped u to recover from Brick when u are in Cust

Is there any one here which Firekit helped u to recover from Brick when u are in Custom ROM.... Please respond dear friends........
:confused:

lovejoy777

Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
This has worked for me on more than one occasion with numerous custom ROMs.

Follow the instructions carefully and it should work.
Rekindle also works well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What it is

Firekit combines all the command line tools for Kindle Fire recovery with the Ubuntu LiveUSB. All you need is a USB stick and a PC that can boot off it. All files stay on the stick, so nothing on your PC is changed.

Firekit is run from the command line, but there are scripts to automate common tasks so the typical restoration involves running just two commands. A fastboot-bootable TWRP and FFF is included as well as the Rekindle USB boot tools so even the most fubared bricks can be restored.

This is only for the first gen Kindle Fire 7" from late 2011. It will not work on any other model.

What can it do

Fix power on problems: If the Fire's screen never seems to turn on, you may have wrecked the bootloaders or the partitioning. Fortunately most of the time this results in the CPU falling into the low level USB boot mode. Use the "usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp" to rebuild the flash enough to boot TWRP. You don't need to use the USB shorting trick for this one, just power up the Kindle after running the script.

Fix stuck-at-triangle-logo: This can be due to being stuck in fastboot or having a corrupt /system. First try getting into recovery. Press power for a few seconds just after turning on, LED should go orange and the TWRP should show up. If that works, reflash your ROM from TWRP. If not, try the "normal_boot" script to get out of being stuck in fastboot.

Fix stuck-at-Kindle Fire-logo: Similar to the above. First try the "normal_boot" script. If that doesn't work, you need to reflash the stock ROM from TWRP. But you don't have TWRP. So use the "install_fff_twrp_from_stock" script which will force the stock ROM into letting you install fastboot. Then flash a ROM.

-and more

Why

A lot of people seem to be having problems with Windows and ADB drivers needed for fastboot and adb. Linux doesn't seem to have this kind of trouble, so I threw this together. It's not pretty or menu driven, but I find that too much automation gets in the way when things are broken to begin with.

Downloading a ~600MB Ubuntu image is needed, and this has only been tested on one PC so far. Don't complain if you spend hours grabbing this only to not have it fix your problem. I thought about rolling my own USB image with debootstrap for a much smaller image but figured that a prefab Ubuntu Live image is probably best for compatibility.

Using Firekit

Making the LiveUSB

Get the latest 32-bit Ubuntu and follow the directions to make a USB stick. If you want to try this with another distro (not tested) it must be 32-bit or have full 32-bit compatibility libraries.

Then unpack the attached zip to the top of the stick. The easiest way is to open the .zip in Explorer, right-click on "fk" (the only file in the zip), and choose "Send to..."->your USB stick's drive letter. You may have to unplug and replug the stick for Windows to see the drive after Ubuntu's been installed. If you have anything else you want available on the stick (roms, other recovery/bootloader, etc) copy them here as well. When done, eject the drive.

Before Booting

Set your PC's BIOS to boot USB before your internal drive. Each PC is different, so it's up to you to figure out how to set your PC to boot from USB.

Running the tools

Always start with your Kindle turned off and unplugged from USB. These directions assume that your Fire is stuck in fastboot, has FFF installed, or you are using the USB boot shorting trick. The exception is if you're trying to install FFF/TWRP from stock Kindle OS, in which case leave it booted and plugged in.

Now boot the LiveUSB. Once the Ubuntu desktop shows up, click the Ubuntu logo in the top left (or press the Windows key) and type "term". Hit enter to run the terminal.

In the terminal window, type "sudo /cdrom/fk". This unpacks the tools and sets up your environment. You should now have a prompt that says "root@ubuntu:~/firekit#"

A list of the possible scripts should now be showing. Type the name of the script you want and hit enter. Protip: type a few letters and hit tab to autocomplete the rest of the word. If you're using any of the usb_ scripts, short the test point and plug in the Fire. As mentioned before, you should have the Fire already booted when using "install_fff_twrp_from_stock". For all the other commands, just plug the Fire in.

If this keeps you from returning or junking an otherwise good Fire, consider throwing a thanks or a beer my way.

Props to TeamWin & agraben for TWRP, everyone at Canonical

These are the commands as of 1.1:

install_fff_twrp_from_stock: Install FFF and TWRP while in stock Android. Uses fbmode to reboot. Use this to get FFF/TWRP installed on 6.2.1 stock OS.

install_fff_twrp: Install FFF and TWRP while in fastboot. Good if you're stuck in fastboot and you want FFF/TWRP.

fix_parts Restore partition table to stock while in fastboot. Do this if you're in fastboot and your partition table is screwed up.

normal_boot: Set the bootmode to boot android and reboot while in fastboot. Try this if you're stuck at the Kindle Fire logo.

usb_boot_twrp: USB boot TWRP without installing. Boot TWRP if your Kindle black screens when you try to power it on. Needs the USB boot mode trick.

usb_install_fff_twrp: USB boot FFF, install FFF and TWRP. Install / recover the bootloader and recovery if they are broken. Needs the USB boot mode trick.

usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp: USB boot FFF, restore partition table to stock, install FFF and TWRP. Fix everything if you screwed up the partition table and your Fire's screen no longer turns on. Needs the USB boot mode trick.

Changelog:

1.1:
    -Add restore of mmcblk0p1 (x-loader) to the "usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp" script to recover from total brain damage. Thanks to TyHi for proving this works and may be necessary.

1.0:
    -Initial release

(todo: make videos, integrate usb boot mode instructions)
    Hello,

I have my unbuntu on a bootable usb and I have the extracted kf file on the root folder right where terminal opens up to... so in the terminal I do "sudo fk" and "sudo /fk" and it just gives me command not found, could somebody give me a little help? I'm not a linux noob but I am no pro either.

sudo ./fk

"sudo /fk" doesn't work because I'm guessing your file is located in /root/fk, and "sudo fk" doesn't work because executables without a path prefix are assumed to be in the $PATH, and most of the time /root and the current directory ("./") aren't in the $PATH.
    Ah, I got it! the permissions needed to be changed, then I ran the sudo ./fk and it worked, thanks!

That makes since to me, but my computer must hate me... here is from a brand new terminal window that I had opened.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dir
    Desktop Documents Downloads fk Music Pictures Public Templates Videos
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ "sudo ./fk"
    bash: sudo ./fk: No such file or directory

Don't include the quotes...
    BTW, no. This is not for the Kindle Fire 2...it will only make things worse for you.

"That's a special kind of stupid. The kind that makes me laugh."

anything similar to this that will fix a KF2? Not too sure what to do at this point. seems pretty bricked to me :p