[APP] Samba Server for Android

Search This thread

mymo82

Apr 9, 2011
The "Enabled - not running" issue has occurred to me as well on a Redmi Note 4 SD with Miui 8.2.10. Previuosly, I had used the latest Dev version on an Honor 3c with Kitkat and I had no issues.

CerKil

Aug 8, 2009
Bergamo
I updated my P9 Plus to Nougat 7.0 (stock VIEL09C432B370), and set and checked as before the selinux to permissive, but app stopped to work... enabling it I get "Enabled - Not Running" without having the name of the path ie: \\1.2.3.4

b0b02

Apr 30, 2011
I updated my P9 Plus to Nougat 7.0 (stock VIEL09C432B370), and set and checked as before the selinux to permissive, but app stopped to work... enabling it I get "Enabled - Not Running" without having the name of the path ie: \\1.2.3.4

+1, after updating to Nougat, 7.0 , same bug happens...
This said, the app is working in my case... just needing to access \\android and then enter username & password...

It would be great if the app could pick up the IP & the rest of the info as usual...

Thanks again for all the hard work,
b0b0

erik501

Aug 12, 2010
On my xiaomi mi a1 dont have access to button for configuration.
Tree dot not appear for settings.
Please upgrade this wonderfull app

Last edited:

jndvlp

Jan 27, 2014

+1, after updating to Nougat, 7.0 , same bug happens...
This said, the app is working in my case... just needing to access \\android and then enter username & password...

It would be great if the app could pick up the IP & the rest of the info as usual...

Thanks again for all the hard work,
b0b0

On my xiaomi mi a1 dont have access to button for configuration.
Tree dot not appear for settings.
Please upgrade this wonderfull app

Try this instructions https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=76046739&postcount=219

Tomo123

@acraigl
LAN drive - slow as hell, transfer speeds suck even on pro version, bloated code, untalented dev, not even worth my time.
Samba Server & Servers Ultimate by IceColdApps - uses same code and samba binary from JimmyChingala's Samba Filesharing

Want me to continue on? Just because it's abandoned code, does not mean it's not the best samba server available.

Last edited:

mendi_xtv

Feb 18, 2011
@acraigl
LAN drive - slow as hell, transfer speeds suck even on pro version, bloated code, untalented dev, not even worth my time.
Samba Server & Servers Ultimate by IceColdApps - uses same code and samba binary from JimmyChingala's Samba Filesharing

Want me to continue on? Just because it's abandoned code, does not mean it's not the best samba server available.

Yes please, if u continue that, was better use at service than app

Thanks

Reactions: Darmach

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Access the external storage card in your Android device over wifi as a shared folder

Hi, thanks for your interest in this app!

If you use it, please do post feedback about success, failure, suggestions for improvement etc. Be sure to include the app version you have installed (Menu -> Settings -> About), your Android device make, model & ROM version, and support log file if you are having problems (Menu -> Settings -> Create Support Log - send via PM or e-mail, please dont post the log to the forums).

Am also interested to hear about copy xfer rates to/from your device. My HTC Hero gets between 700 KB/s to 1MB/s, my Asus Transformer about 2.5MB/s.

This app requires your device to already have:
    - root access.
    - Superuser 2.3.6.2 or later, from Android Market (may work with other Android 'su' implementations but I havent tested with any others).

Installation
    * The two most recent development builds are attached below.
    * Or you can Install the current Android Market version:

On the first run, make sure you catch the SuperUser Auth request to allow the Samba Filesharing app root access.

Also, the first run will be a bit slow, the app has to unpack some additional binaries into its private data space.

GPL: Samba GPL licensing information including source code modification details are included in the app. Once installed go to Menu -> Settings -> About.

- jc

Screen shots (click to enlarge):

110905main_full.png 110905prefs_01_full.png 110905prefs_02_full.png 110905prefs_03_full.png

Change history

If you like this app, please consider making a small donation. Not to me, but to one of the charities I strongly support: Cancer Research, or Animal Welfare.

Dev builds attached below - To install: unzip, and either:
    - ADB: adb install SambaFilesharing<version>.apk
    - FileManager: Copy the APK to /sdcard on your device, then launch with a filemanager program (like Astro).
    (Dev build change history)

To-Do list (in no particular order)
    - finish notification bar icon re-code
    - Add support for NTFS formatted sdcards.
    - Improve support for devices (eg Tablets) with multiple 'sdcard' type storage devices.
    - multiple/more configurable shared folders, multiple user accounts.
    - add in a CIFS mount manager
    - Improve available characters and lengths of username, password, workgroup, netbios-name fields.
    - toggle widget
    - Add option for persistent display of app 'Menu' button items.
    - move this page to the Android Apps and Games forum.

(The below SambaFilesharing-dev-130413.zip is the the Google Play 140525 version with extra dev options turned on )
    APP development page has moved to http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-samba-filesharing-server-android-t2803452/post53869540

This thread is kept fir reference as it contains valuable information for manual modifications.
    I need that fix ASAP. :)
    If you're keen :) you can try editing /data/data/com.funkyfresh.samba/files/samba-rc to add the chmod line to the start section after line 17:

Code:
         7	SPIDFILE=$PRE/var/locks/smbd.pid
         8	NPIDFILE=$PRE/var/locks/nmbd.pid
        10	case "$1" in
        11		start)
        12	        $0 stop
        13		    $0 cleanup
        14		    $0 rmlogs
        15		    $PRE/nmbd -D
        16		    $PRE/smbd -D
        17		    sleep 1
        18		    [B]chmod 644 $NPIDFILE $SPIDFILE[/B]     # add this line chmod ...
        19		    echo ok
        20		    ;;
        21		stop)

I'll include it in the next dev release. Let us know how you go with it.

- jc
    I'm ready with a beta version, please expect it tomorrow :)
    Hey guys,

Have unfortunately been absent from further recent development of the app, just to let you know i will be looking into the problems reported running it on Android JB, with the the aim of providing a fix in an updated version of the app in Play store - not yet sure whether it will still be a single one-size-fits-all updated APK , or (more likely) a newer package for JB versions and onwards to keep the package file sizes down. I dont have an ETA yet - ofcourse you'll hear about it first here on XDA : - ) First very quick pass glance seems to be a change in the default kernel support for 'older' Android binary native executables, some custom ROMs have their kernels built to still support the 'older' executabe format so its not an issue in them - am still to confirm that (willl rebuild my villec2 kernel in the next few days to confirm if thats [the only] change / problem i ned to cater for, (And ofcourse if you already know the cause and fix feel free to point me to a thread etc).

And thanks to everyone who has provided troubleshooting information, assistance, work-arounds, and patches so far for the problems - and of course The core Samba Org Team, who already spent the many years developing the underlying open source Samba cross-platform code.

- jc