[Tutorial] How to mod files for Safestrap Alpha

Search This thread

hggadm3

Oct 3, 2011
I was just gonna make this little tutorial to take some work off of The actual Dev for the Project(Beastmode) thanks again for your work brother

In his newest alpha release of safe strap we're able to replace the stock rom slot with a 4.3 Touchwiz ROM, I have seen people report that they have flashed certain roms without having to do any modification, but this is a safety precaution.

First you will need your rom of choice, in this tutorial I'm using N3BULA.
Download the rom and extract the contents to a folder on your pc or phone, PC is much easier, but you can edit on your phone as well
The files you need to edit are under META-INF/COM/GOOGLE/ANDROID that's actually the only files :D
Im using his modified files from the dev thread for comparison.
First we'll open the Aroma-Config
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2650078&stc=1&d=1395786107
Pardon the crude screen shot method but this will show you the changes and where they are.
Modified is on the left and Stock that came with the rom is on the right. Make the Changes and save
Next is Updater-Script
Same crude method of screen shot :eek:
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2650086&stc=1&d=1395786357
you can see where the two differ, so just edit that out as well.
Left is modified, Right is stock
Save Changes
Edit 3/26 you can also delete boot.img in zip
Make sure these files are on external sd card as well as the rom, boot into recovery, always make a nandroid backup, wipe and flash.\

This is the first time I have made a tutorial, so if its rough around the edges please excuse my forum newbness:rolleyes:
if I missed anything definitely feel free to add, and once again A HUGE THANK YOU BEASTMODE.
Hopefully in a few hours or days these edits wont be needed.

Attachments

• updater.jpg
    updater.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:

hggadm3

Oct 3, 2011
You edit them in the rom zip file... extract the rom and it moves as a zip, my case was it downloaded to storage sdcard (internal). I extracted it to ext sdcard and then went in and edited it. It still remains a zip

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hggadm3

Oct 3, 2011
So glad to see you post that.!!! Been talking to a guy about it for about 2 hrs about it now, I actually told him it should work as long as agni wasn't chosen, thanks for clarification

Last edited:

laxattack

Dec 28, 2009
Google Pixel 3 XL
I tried and unedited version of alliance and it tripped Knox and I had to odin anyone got an edited version with out kernel that they know works

HerroMoto

Jun 15, 2010
In my nebula zip I have a file on the root called boot.img should I delete this file as well?

hggadm3

Oct 3, 2011
It wouldn't hurt. The script edits disregard it but just to be safe you can

HerroMoto

Jun 15, 2010
I don't get it I edited the zips and then when i try to flash in recovery it just says failed? it doesn't give me a specific reason. This is for n3bula rom. But i extracted using winrar, deleted boot.img, changed the aroma config and updated zip using wordpad, zipped the rom and it doesn't seem to work. is there something i'm doing wrong?

roflcoptersoisoi

Mar 4, 2014
I don't get it I edited the zips and then when i try to flash in recovery it just says failed? it doesn't give me a specific reason. This is for n3bula rom. But i extracted using winrar, deleted boot.img, changed the aroma config and updated zip using wordpad, zipped the rom and it doesn't seem to work. is there something i'm doing wrong?

After you deleted the boot.img there is no point in editing the rest. I used 7zip to unzip and rezip and have not had any problems yet. Winrar might be causing problems for all i know as i never use it. I'm not around my pc for the most part atm but i haven't had any problems flashing 4 or 5 roms with just deleting the boot.img.

HerroMoto

Jun 15, 2010
After you deleted the boot.img there is no point in editing the rest. I used 7zip to unzip and rezip and have not had any problems yet. Winrar might be causing problems for all i know as i never use it. I'm not around my pc for the most part atm but i haven't had any problems flashing 4 or 5 roms with just deleting the boot.img.

I ended up fixing it. I tried doing it through winrar and from root explorer on my phone. The way I got it to work was actually downloading the aroma-config file and uodater-script file from the development thread that beast mode provided and changed those. He happened to use nebula as well so everything is working great

Feb 3, 2011
Omaha, Ne
So I have to delete stuff in the updater script and the boot.img correct? I opened the updater script in notepad and it looked nothing like that..

trying to install Jett rom and im not sure what will happen when I delete that kernel line..

already deleted boot.img

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Sorry for the dumb question but what do I do if the rom of choice isn't showing up on the root of my extSD?

EDIT:
Nevermind, to anyone who saw my last post(s), I'm an idiot :D.
Ran through Odin, re-rooted, re-installed Safestrap, now installing N3bula Rom.
Hope all goes well. And sorry for any inconvenience!

Hope my donation helped out some Beastmode! :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was just gonna make this little tutorial to take some work off of The actual Dev for the Project(Beastmode) thanks again for your work brother

In his newest alpha release of safe strap we're able to replace the stock rom slot with a 4.3 Touchwiz ROM, I have seen people report that they have flashed certain roms without having to do any modification, but this is a safety precaution.

First you will need your rom of choice, in this tutorial I'm using N3BULA.
    Download the rom and extract the contents to a folder on your pc or phone, PC is much easier, but you can edit on your phone as well
    The files you need to edit are under META-INF/COM/GOOGLE/ANDROID that's actually the only files :D
    Im using his modified files from the dev thread for comparison.
    First we'll open the Aroma-Config
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2650078&stc=1&d=1395786107
    Pardon the crude screen shot method but this will show you the changes and where they are.
    Modified is on the left and Stock that came with the rom is on the right. Make the Changes and save
    Next is Updater-Script
    Same crude method of screen shot :eek:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2650086&stc=1&d=1395786357
    you can see where the two differ, so just edit that out as well.
    Left is modified, Right is stock
    Save Changes
    Edit 3/26 you can also delete boot.img in zip
    Make sure these files are on external sd card as well as the rom, boot into recovery, always make a nandroid backup, wipe and flash.\

This is the first time I have made a tutorial, so if its rough around the edges please excuse my forum newbness:rolleyes:
    if I missed anything definitely feel free to add, and once again A HUGE THANK YOU BEASTMODE.
    Hopefully in a few hours or days these edits wont be needed.
    Easy way is to use 7 zip. Extract the ROM and make the changes. Now right click on original ROM and select open archive. From there u can place the modded files. Now the ROM.zip is still flashable.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using xda app-developers app
    I'm using alliance atm on safestrap. Don't mod anything. Just choose the stock kernel when you get to that point in the installer.
    Ive tried n3bula alliance and jediwiz(?) And all have worked out for me :) need some time to work SS!! Lol

Just delete the boot.img nothing else