[KERNEL][4.3/4.4][AOSP] ¤ BMS ¤ d2spr 3.4.y [2014-08-03]

Search This thread

aenews

Jul 29, 2013
Bakersfield
Overclock Still Broken

Overclock is still broken. When I first tried this kernel in Summer 2013 with CM 10, I realized overclock was broken. I stayed away from it for a long time but started using it again this year. Raising the maximum clock speed to any value higher than 1512, say as little higher as 1566 MHz, causes extreme lag regardless of governor or voltage. It has continued to stay broken with every new release. I recently did a clean install of CM 11 M6 + Latest Kernel (5-20). Overclock is still broken. I have tried Ktoonsez, DKP, Quantum, and Lean Kernel. This problem does not occur on any other kernel but this one, and on the others, I can raise the maximum clock speed as high as 1728 MHz stably with a fair amount of leeway regarding voltage in any governor. I have been sticking to this kernel because it has always been perfectly stable, however, and will continue using it. I very much appreciate this kernel's overall fluidity and stability. Any ideas on what might be causing these issues?

Last edited:
Reactions: shekinahsmoke

GideonX

Jun 10, 2010
NYC
www.droidhype.com
ROMs built after 6/1 will not work with older kernels (and vice versa).

There are a few d2lte commits that need to be pulled by ROM devs in order to work with the latest kernel commits.

If you are using an older ROM, stick with the 5/20 BMS release.

If you are running a newer ROM and wonder why you are not booting, head to the BMS G+ community and grab the latest test builds (6/2 date as of this post).

Once more ROMs have the update, I'll stable the BMS release and post it here.

akaTRAP

Mar 2, 2014
not entirely sure if this is a BMS problem, but trying to change the LED lights causes Settings to FC. Running BMS 6/2 beta with CM11 6/6 Nightly.

aenews

Jul 29, 2013
Bakersfield
not entirely sure if this is a BMS problem, but trying to change the LED lights causes Settings to FC. Running BMS 6/2 beta with CM11 6/6 Nightly.

Update to the 6/8 Beta and latest nighty and see if the problem is still there. Cyanogen recently updated the torch app, could be related.

---------- Post added at 11:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

ROMs built after 6/1 will not work with older kernels (and vice versa).

There are a few d2lte commits that need to be pulled by ROM devs in order to work with the latest kernel commits.

If you are using an older ROM, stick with the 5/20 BMS release.

If you are running a newer ROM and wonder why you are not booting, head to the BMS G+ community and grab the latest test builds (6/2 date as of this post).

Once more ROMs have the update, I'll stable the BMS release and post it here.

Overclock is still broken as mentioned above =(

TheKryptonite

Sep 24, 2012
Great kernel, but it appears it causes your device to freeze. Either that, is Chrome is causing it to freeze.

GideonX

Jun 10, 2010
NYC
www.droidhype.com
BMS Stable Build 2014-08-03 - http://goo.gl/rTjdGP

-Sync'd with CM.
-Linaro GCC 2014.06.
-Linux 3.4.101.
-Fixed overclocking.
-Added ondemandplus governor.
-Updates to row scheduler.
-Kernel is now moduleless. Please make sure your rom has the updated commits to support this.
-Battery driver and other items from ND8 source drop.
-Gamma color control, you can still use the included "setcolor" script to change to Trinity colors. Just run the script in a terminal emulator.

techdog

May 23, 2010
Boston
Samsung Galaxy Watch 5
Is every kernel NOT made for my phone! :mad: why do I only have errors with installing kernels

What's your model number and baseband number? Mine is NDC

Sent from my SPH-L710

Do you wipe cache and dalvik after every kernel install and before you reboot? My experience has been that some kernel installs really mess with stuff and I sometimes can't get back without a nandroid recovery. I was testing a bunch of kernels the other day and I flashed LeanKernel v9.15 into my slimkat 7.0 ROM and lost data. But, I couldn't get data back with flashing the KT747 AOSP kernel and then it was fine - even though that kernel doesn't fully work (wifi's broken) with SlimKat 7. Other kernel flashes, which should have worked, did not recover the mobile data, just the KT747 flash. Weird.

Also, I noticed yesterday after flashing a bunch of kernels that init.d was not working, so I had to do a Nandroid recovery. FInally settled on BMS and that seems to be working well with my config - SlimKat 7.0 stable, Spring GS3.

Good luck!

TdiGuy

Nov 20, 2012
Moto G Stylus 5G
With morfic's blessing, here's the continuation of the Trinity kernel in another form for AOSP Jellybean 4.3/4.4.

This was originally mainly developed for the Verizon SGS3, but some requests for a Sprint version were sent in. This is a blind build as I do not have a Sprint unit to test this one. However, it should work as it is identical to the d2vzw version.

Some highlights:

Code:
- Based on CM source
- Built with latest Linaro GCC 4.8 with optis
- Ramdisk tweaked (init.d support, unsecure)
- OC up to [B]1.836Ghz[/B]
- Stock GPU (OC makes no difference)
- Undervolted
- User voltage control
- [B]Trinity colors[/B]
- Defaults to tweaked [B]ondemand[/B] governor and [B]row[/B] scheduler.
-- Available for user
--- Governor
---- msm-dcvs, interactive, conservative, ondemand, performance, wheatley,  badass, asswax, dancedance, smartmax, ondemandplus
--- Scheduler
---- noop, deadline, row, cfq, sio, bfq, zen, sioplus, fiops
- USB Fast Charge (credit to imoseyon and chad) 
- fsync control (credit Ezekeel)
- Removal of mpdecision, uses tweaked [B]auto_hotplug[/B] driver (credit to thalamus)
- Removal of thermald
- fix_permissions added to zip
- [B]CM wifi tether WPA/WPA2 secure support[/B]
- Faux sound mod support
- CDRom/USB emulation support

To install (no need to wipe anything):

- Download .zip below and place on your internal or external sdcard
- Reboot into CWM or the recommended TWRP
- Flash .zip
- Reboot

Notes:

- If you do not default to ondemand/row, check your /system/etc/init.d/ for startup scripts or the /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh file to see if it's writing interactive/cfq to the scaling_governor and the scheduler.

I've pushed my build towards battery savings and it's been handling duties pretty well. Let me know how it works out for you. As with all things custom, please take all precautions (backups). Tested against CM, AOKP, BB7 and LiquidSmooth so far. Please let me know if you run into any issues.

Feel free to use your preferred kernel app for adjustments.

3.0.y Source - https://bitbucket.org/gideonx/bms_jb
3.4.y Source - https://bitbucket.org/gideonx/bms-jb-3.4.y

***** PLEASE CHECK WHICH ROM YOU ARE RUNNING. 3.0.y based roms can't use 3.4.y kernels and vice versa. *****

Download latest 3.0.y Build d2spr - HERE
Download latest 3.4.y Build d2spr - HERE

Thanks to morfic and all the devs!

XDA:DevDB Information
BMS AOSP Kernel for d2spr, a Kernel for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
GideonX
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2013-11-11
Last Updated 2013-11-11
How do i know which one i should download?

Issam00

Jun 12, 2015
Hey guys How are you ? I'm new in this Forum and I would like to know if I install this [KERNEL] on my 4.3 android GT-I9300
what's new it's gonna give me ?

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Motorola Edge+ (2022)
Hey guys How are you ? I'm new in this Forum and I would like to know if I install this [KERNEL] on my 4.3 android GT-I9300
what's new it's gonna give me ?

Bro, stop asking this in the Sprint s3 section in ALL of the kernel threads. NONE of the kernels for the Sprint galaxy s3 (D2spr) will work on your phone. You need to go to the forum for your phone.

wetbiker7

Aug 12, 2011
Bro, stop asking this in the Sprint s3 section in ALL of the kernel threads. NONE of the kernels for the Sprint galaxy s3 (D2spr) will work on your phone. You need to go to the forum for your phone.

Good call. He messes around and flashed this kernel on his device, he'd probably end up with an expensive paperweight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: shekinahsmoke

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With morfic's blessing, here's the continuation of the Trinity kernel in another form for AOSP Jellybean 4.3/4.4.

This was originally mainly developed for the Verizon SGS3, but some requests for a Sprint version were sent in. This is a blind build as I do not have a Sprint unit to test this one. However, it should work as it is identical to the d2vzw version.

Some highlights:

Code:
    - Based on CM source
    - Built with latest Linaro GCC 4.8 with optis
    - Ramdisk tweaked (init.d support, unsecure)
    - OC up to [B]1.836Ghz[/B]
    - Stock GPU (OC makes no difference)
    - Undervolted
    - User voltage control
    - [B]Trinity colors[/B]
    - Defaults to tweaked [B]ondemand[/B] governor and [B]row[/B] scheduler.
    -- Available for user
    --- Governor
    ---- msm-dcvs, interactive, conservative, ondemand, performance, wheatley,  badass, asswax, dancedance, smartmax, ondemandplus
    --- Scheduler
    ---- noop, deadline, row, cfq, sio, bfq, zen, sioplus, fiops
    - USB Fast Charge (credit to imoseyon and chad) 
    - fsync control (credit Ezekeel)
    - Removal of mpdecision, uses tweaked [B]auto_hotplug[/B] driver (credit to thalamus)
    - Removal of thermald
    - fix_permissions added to zip
    - [B]CM wifi tether WPA/WPA2 secure support[/B]
    - Faux sound mod support
    - CDRom/USB emulation support

To install (no need to wipe anything):

- Download .zip below and place on your internal or external sdcard
    - Reboot into CWM or the recommended TWRP
    - Flash .zip
    - Reboot

Notes:

- If you do not default to ondemand/row, check your /system/etc/init.d/ for startup scripts or the /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh file to see if it's writing interactive/cfq to the scaling_governor and the scheduler.

I've pushed my build towards battery savings and it's been handling duties pretty well. Let me know how it works out for you. As with all things custom, please take all precautions (backups). Tested against CM, AOKP, BB7 and LiquidSmooth so far. Please let me know if you run into any issues.

Feel free to use your preferred kernel app for adjustments.

3.0.y Source - https://bitbucket.org/gideonx/bms_jb
    3.4.y Source - https://bitbucket.org/gideonx/bms-jb-3.4.y

***** PLEASE CHECK WHICH ROM YOU ARE RUNNING. 3.0.y based roms can't use 3.4.y kernels and vice versa. *****

Download latest 3.0.y Build d2spr - HERE
    Download latest 3.4.y Build d2spr - HERE

Thanks to morfic and all the devs!

XDA:DevDB Information
    BMS AOSP Kernel for d2spr, a Kernel for the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    GideonX
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2013-11-11
    Last Updated 2013-11-11
    3.4.y build 2013-03-29

d2spr - http://goo.gl/5E7HB

- Merged in CM fix for crashing caused by enabling of KGSL_DRM.
    - Added sio scheduler

Apologies ahead of time for the quick pace of BMS releases. The new 3.4.y adoption is speeding along, which brings to the surface numerous fixes. Anyhow, happy flashing.
    Build 2013-02-10 d2spr - http://goo.gl/otmcC

This is mainly a optimization release as well as an attempt to pinpoint the issue for non-boots/FCs/etc. Apparently, not all S3s are made the same.

- Compile optimizations
    - Changed kernel compression to LZO
    - Optimized AES and SHA-1 routines
    - Adjusted auto_hotplug to find the middle ground between performance and battery
    - Voltage adjustments

Once voltage adjustments are completed to my liking, I'll add in voltage control. Changing the zip naming convention to add a bit more info as well.

PS: Happy Lunar New Year to all that celebrate :)
    3.4.y Build 2013-07-14 - http://www.droidhype.com/kernel/34/

-Built using latest Linaro Toolchain (4.7.4 - 2013.07)
    -Linux 3.4.53
    -Merged latest CAF updates as of today (AU_LINUX_ANDROID_JB_2.5.04.02.02.040.420).
    -Merged latest CM updates.
    -Added cdrom sysfs commit from CM. This can allow for using your phone to boot ISOs on a PC. Check the commit for more information.
    -Fix various compile errors with the recent influx of merges.
    Decided to release a day early, enjoy :)

3.4.y Build 2013-04-13 - http://www.droidhype.com/kernel/34/

- Merged latest CM updates as of today
    - Updated to latest (and last) version of Linaro 4.7 toolchain (next build should be on 4.8)
    - Added some more -O3 optimizations
    - Re-added 192Mhz slot
    - Tweaked interactive for better performance and battery. Try the default settings and drop your hispeed_freq to around 810 or so. Insane.
    - Raised vmin to 975
    - Implement quick calibration (Credit BMc08GT)