FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[VIDEO] How to root/flash a Chromecast with FlashCast

791 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,518

By ddggttff3, Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 16th November 2013, 06:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Due to the confusion on how to setup flashcast and install pwnedcast, I decided to make a tutorial Video. Sorry for the crappy video/audio, I need a new webcam.

NOTE: this will work on a chromecast that has not been setup yet, and we recommend rooting a device before setup to prevent any accidental OTA update.

Files Download Link: http://pdl.team-eureka.com/other/Chromecast-Root.zip

Hope this helps!

also, bonus points for anyone who finds the "teaser" in the video.
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddggttff3 Ad-Free

16th November 2013, 06:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thanks

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk
16th November 2013, 06:44 PM |#3  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Good Job. I was actually going to do the same tonight, guess I don't need to do it!

I also think it could be mentioned that you could just flash Flashcast and Pwned before ever setting up your chromecast (eliminates the risk of connecting a brand new Chromecast to the internet and getting the update). I just tested it out on a Chromecast I got for a family member.
16th November 2013, 06:44 PM |#4  
Flag Green Bay, WI
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Sweet! I have been trolling YouTube for the last 1/2 hour looking for just this video with no luck. Came back here and "poof", here it is!

I have 2 Chromecasts that have been sitting untouched since release day, waiting for a comprehensive tutorial. Thank you!!
16th November 2013, 06:47 PM |#5  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermind278

Good Job. I was actually going to do the same tonight, guess I don't need to do it!

I also think it could be mentioned that you could just flash Flashcast and Pwned before ever setting up your chromecast (eliminates the risk of connecting a brand new Chromecast to the internet and getting the update). I just tested it out on a Chromecast I got for a family member.

True, forgot to mention that in the video. Will add to OP, thanks.
16th November 2013, 06:58 PM |#6  
Flag Lawrence
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Thanks for making video. I had a hard time the first time I did this. Did not know when, and after the first boot that it auto formated for me and I needed to upload the eureka zip file. For it to complete

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
16th November 2013, 09:06 PM |#7  
Flag The good ol Deep South
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Awesome, man!! This will prove to be VERYYYY helpful to the current and future Chromecast community!! A++
17th November 2013, 12:17 AM |#8  
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 271

Donate to Me
More
Good work ddggttff3, hopefully this helps people coming into the chromecast rooting scene.
17th November 2013, 12:58 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 266

More
What are the benefits of a rooted chrome cast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
17th November 2013, 01:44 PM |#10  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
This might be OT but under the heading of what a CC noobie might do wrong!

I have a new CC but waiting on the OTG cable. I'm getting ready so I didn't have a standard USB flash drive but had a USB/xD adapter and a 1GB xD card on which I put Flashcast. After watching the video and the caution about trying to open the USB drive I decided to redo it. Win32DiskImager errors out at 97%, I forget the error number and Windows can't format it either! I was able to put it back into the camera and format it.

Just wondering if say someone tries Flashcast only to find out that they have one of the new bootloaders(which could be me too), what do they do with that USB flash drive or what will format it now? Or is it just something to do with the adapter that I used?
17th November 2013, 03:12 PM |#11  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny18pr

What are the benefits of a rooted chrome cast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The biggest benefit is you get to keep your unlocked bootloader, and gain the ability to flash mods such as Kyocast to get around google's app whitelisting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

This might be OT but under the heading of what a CC noobie might do wrong!

I have a new CC but waiting on the OTG cable. I'm getting ready so I didn't have a standard USB flash drive but had a USB/xD adapter and a 1GB xD card on which I put Flashcast. After watching the video and the caution about trying to open the USB drive I decided to redo it. Win32DiskImager errors out at 97%, I forget the error number and Windows can't format it either! I was able to put it back into the camera and format it.

Just wondering if say someone tries Flashcast only to find out that they have one of the new bootloaders(which could be me too), what do they do with that USB flash drive or what will format it now? Or is it just something to do with the adapter that I used?

If you flash flashcast to a jump drive, and try to boot it on a chromecast that is already updated, it would stay on a black screen on your TV, and the jump drive would never format. You can just re-format the jump drive from your computer to return it to being a normal jumpdrive.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)