FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[VIDEO] How to root/flash a Chromecast with FlashCast

791 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,518

By ddggttff3, Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 16th November 2013, 06:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th November 2013, 10:24 PM |#21  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchebb

The flash drive can certainly be reformatted. I've seen reports of Windows being unable to format it using the standard explorer menu option for some reason, which is a bug in Windows, IMO. The format operation is exactly the same regardless of the contents of the drive, and Windows shouldn't be looking at the contents at all. Nevertheless, it doesn't work for some reason, so what you need to do is go into the Disk Management application as described here, delete all the partitions on the drive, and then create a new FAT32 partition which takes up all the space. (If someone is willing to create a guide with screenshots, I'd appreciate it, as I don't currently have access to a Windows machine.)

I had set up the USB/xD adapter as before with the BIN file, tried to format it and it again failed. It may have something to do with the adapter or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Writer.html which I'm using. I had to get this when I bought a camera and my old XP Laptop did have anyway to read a xD picture card.

The camera formats it to FAT and I just reformat to FAT32.

EDIT:
Using Disk Management, the drive shows 20M Healthy and 980M Unallocated. The only option that isn't greyed out in "delete" for the 20M partition only. Shrink isn't available on any USB flash drive that I looked at. Maybe Diskparts from the command line but it seems like it shouldn't happen. May have move some files around to loosen up a normal USB flash drive for use.

18th November 2013, 01:05 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 235

More
Nice Job, I wish I had a good reference point, a video makes it nice, Thanks
18th November 2013, 01:12 AM |#23  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waltham, MA
Thanks Meter: 241

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

EDIT:
Using Disk Management, the drive shows 20M Healthy and 980N Unallocated. The only option that isn't greyed out in "delete" for the 20M partition only. Shrink isn't available on any USB flash drive that I looked at. Maybe Diskparts from the command line but it seems like it shouldn't happen. May have move some files around to loosen up a normal USB flash drive for use.

Once you're in Disk Management, you need to delete the 20MB partition and then create a new FAT32 partition which takes up the entire drive. Once you've done that, the drive should be back in its original state and usable.
18th November 2013, 01:15 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 235

More
It may be helpful if you also show the process of how able to configure the chromecast, set up browser, and Allcast
18th November 2013, 01:41 AM |#25  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchebb

Once you're in Disk Management, you need to delete the 20MB partition and then create a new FAT32 partition which takes up the entire drive. Once you've done that, the drive should be back in its original state and usable.

Once deleted, all options are greyed out! I formatted it in my camera and moving files right now from a real USB flash drive for CC use. Very strange issue.

I may play with this when time allows. Thanks for the try anyways.
19th November 2013, 06:03 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Flash Question
So I Quick question. I have flashed my chromecast before but I did not do the second Flash with Kyro. When I did this about a month ago. I tried to reflash Flashcast when it will not go through is because I have already done it or is it due to it being the chromecast updated?

I was going to just try and do kyro now but my sd card is not named flashcast any longer? Can I format it and rename it flashcast and try that with out bricking the chrome cast?

Thanks for the help.
19th November 2013, 09:01 PM |#27  

More
Can't wait to give this a go! Thanks for the awesome info!
21st November 2013, 12:35 PM |#28  
Flag Bergen

More
Cheers! I'm usually quite rubbish at rooting and stuff like that but your guide just made me breeze through it
24th November 2013, 04:51 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I followed the video instructions and flashed the files from this thread, do I now have the most current version with the OTA mod updates enabled? I can't seem to find anything on screen etc indicating I do. I do see the PWNED screen.

thanks for all your efforts!
24th November 2013, 04:54 AM |#30  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardsternisbatman

I followed the video instructions and flashed the files from this thread, do I know have the most current version with the OTA mod updates enabled? I can't seem to find anything on screen etc indicating I do. I do see the PWNED screen.

thanks for all your efforts!

Yes, if you see the PWNED boot animation, you are running the PwnedCast firmware which has our own custom OTA system to automatically send your device updated rooted images as we release them.
24th November 2013, 04:55 AM |#31  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by franswa113

So I Quick question. I have flashed my chromecast before but I did not do the second Flash with Kyro. When I did this about a month ago. I tried to reflash Flashcast when it will not go through is because I have already done it or is it due to it being the chromecast updated?

I was going to just try and do kyro now but my sd card is not named flashcast any longer? Can I format it and rename it flashcast and try that with out bricking the chrome cast?

Thanks for the help.

The best thing to do is re-flash flashcast to the jumpdrive, and re-set up the drive. Just formatting the drive may erase flashcast and make it nonfunctional.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)