[Recovery] [07-Jan-2011] RA-passion-v2.2.1

Search This thread

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
[snip]
This time around I used universal androot to root the phone and I have been successful with installing recovery images thru ROM manager only. However, I wish to use amon_RA recoveries newer than 1.7.0.1 and I can't seem to get them to work. I've referred to the recovery wiki for installation with locked bootloader thru terminal emulator and the steps work until the "rm" commands, which I am prompted the the 2 files are not found ("install-recovery.sh" and "recovery-from-boot.p")
I'm assuming you are in the right directory for each one when you are deleting them?
The flash seems to work as it pauses and then the su prompt comes up as it has in the past. However I reboot into recovery and it just hangs at the nexus "X" screen. Not a black screen like some of the other posts I have read, as my screen is amoLED, not sLCD. It is also not at the exclamation point screen, just being crystal clear guys.
I've also tried via adb to no avail.
[snip]
How long did you wait before you decided that it was "hung"?

Crippletron

Jun 20, 2010
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
I'm assuming you are in the right directory for each one when you are deleting them?

As listed in the wiki: /system/etc and /system, respectively

How long did you wait before you decided that it was "hung"?

About 15 min, soft reset didn't work so I pulled the battery. The phone boots normally, fastboot works, recovery will work as well if I reflash from ROM manager. It's only when I try installing PSF v1.1.2 (a known copy I had working when bootloader was unlocked) that this happens

EDIT: the reboot recovery command comes back with "not permited!" if that has any relevance...I just pushed home button and booted to recovery by quick boot

Also, stated earlier that flash seemed to work, meant to say opposite, pls excuse absent-mindedness

Last edited:
G

GuestX0019

Sorry if asked before, but 116 pages is a lot.

I have Rom Mgr and ClockworkMod and have been flashing between Amon and CWM recoveries. I put Amon 1.7.0.1 was put on phone before Rom Mgr, thru ADB.

I just tried to install Amon 1.8.0 thru Terminal. I flashed Amon thru RM first so it was the active recovery. It installs and comes up ready to run. I even flashed back to CWM and then to Amon, all OK. A day later I try it, and it is back to 1.7.0.1.

I have no idea what is going on.

Sorry to bump this, but would like to get 1.8 or 1.9 on phone and show as alt recovery like 1.7 is doing now under Rom mgr. I can flash 1.8 like mentioned, but doesn't stay. Reverts back to 1.7 under RM and on phone. Would like to use both recoveries AR and RM as some roms suggest one or the other. I use 3 or 4 different ones and some sense roms.

Do I need to uninstall RM and CWMod then install 1.8 or 1.9 then reinstall RM. I don't know if that will actually get the recovery off of the phone.

So, I am hoping someone here uses both and can help. If I need to do this thru ADB or Term Emul, I am not to good at the command lines. Exact wording for the command lines would be appreciated.

Ken

codington

Sep 12, 2009
KunShan, JiangSu, PRC
Sorry to bump this, but would like to get 1.8 or 1.9 on phone and show as alt recovery like 1.7 is doing now under Rom mgr. I can flash 1.8 like mentioned, but doesn't stay. Reverts back to 1.7 under RM and on phone. Would like to use both recoveries AR and RM as some roms suggest one or the other. I use 3 or 4 different ones and some sense roms.

Do I need to uninstall RM and CWMod then install 1.8 or 1.9 then reinstall RM. I don't know if that will actually get the recovery off of the phone.

So, I am hoping someone here uses both and can help. If I need to do this thru ADB or Term Emul, I am not to good at the command lines. Exact wording for the command lines would be appreciated.

Ken

The problem is with RM. Once you have successfully flashed 1.9.0-alpha with the fastboot method - it stays - even if RM is on your phone. RM may still report 1.7.0.1 but that is incorrect - 1.9.0 is the active recovery. However, if you flash CWMod from RM, it overwrites RA 1.9.0 - then if you try to flash an alternate recovery from RM, the only option is for RM to replace CWMod with RA 1.7.0.1.

Again, the problem you are experiencing is with Rom Manager.

G

GuestX0019

Thanks codington,

I greatly appreciate your reply,

I kinda figured it was RM. I guess RM just has 1.7 as part of it? Based on what you said, if I understand, is the only way to keep 1.9 is to not flash CWM. Otherwise I would have to flash 1.9 whenever needed. That is what happened when I tried it.

By fastboot do you mean I have to go thru ADB or can I flash it thru Terminal Emulator. I did see some fastboot instructions on OP page. That is how I initially flashed 1.7.

I was able to flash MIUI roms that state 1.9 needed with RM by putting them on root of sd card then boot into recovery and flashing thru Clockwork Mod, not RM.

Ken

Last edited:

codington

Sep 12, 2009
KunShan, JiangSu, PRC
Thanks codington,

I greatly appreciate your reply,

I kinda figured it was RM. I guess RM just has 1.7 as part of it? Based on what you said, if I understand, is the only way to keep 1.9 is to not flash CWM. Otherwise I would have to flash 1.9 whenever needed. That is what happened when I tried it.

By fastboot do you mean I have to go thru ADB or can I flash it thru Terminal Emulator. I did see some fastboot instructions on OP page. That is how I initially flashed 1.7.

I was able to flash MIUI roms that state 1.9 needed with RM by putting them on root of sd card then boot into recovery and flashing thru Clockwork Mod, not RM.

Ken

Fastboot is not ADB, but this command is run from the command line like ADB. There is probably a wiki that explains in detail. I used fastboot to unlock my phone and used fastboot to load Amon's recovery. You run fastboot from your computer - not your phone. I don't know why a ROM would specify they must be loaded by 1.9.0 vs 1.7.0.1. I have not looked at the changelog for 1.9 other than to note it supports phones with SLCD screens vs AMOLED.
Code:
D:\Windows\System32>fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address

D:\Windows\System32>

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
To use fastboot, you have to unlock your bootloader. For those who don't want to unlock, get your device rooted, and use flash_image instead of fastboot, which lets you flash unsigned images without an unlocked bootloader.

G

GuestX0019

Fastboot is not ADB, but this command is run from the command line like ADB. There is probably a wiki that explains in detail. I used fastboot to unlock my phone and used fastboot to load Amon's recovery. You run fastboot from your computer - not your phone. I don't know why a ROM would specify they must be loaded by 1.9.0 vs 1.7.0.1. I have not looked at the changelog for 1.9 other than to note it supports phones with SLCD screens vs AMOLED.
Code:
D:\Windows\System32>fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address

D:\Windows\System32>

Thanks codington and efrant,

Poor choice of words on my part. I understand fastboot, I am unlocked and did it that way thru SDK. I forget which rom thread recommended 1.9 and some people had 1.7 issues. Think it was one of the desire or miui ones. Will have to relook.

I flashed 1.8 thru Terminal so guess I can do 1.9 also. The OP page seems to suggest either way. Just can't leave it on phone with RM.

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited:

Royan

Dec 18, 2006
Bergen
Thanks codington and efrant,
Poor choice of words on my part. I understand fastboot, I am unlocked and did it that way thru SDK. I forget which rom thread recommended 1.9 and some people had 1.7 issues. Think it was one of the desire or miui ones. Will have to relook.

I flashed 1.8 thru Terminal so guess I can do 1.9 also. The OP page seems to suggest either way. Just can't leave it on phone with RM.

Thanks,
Ken
I think some ROMs need 1.8.x og 1.9 due to not being signed.
RA 1.7.x requires signed files, or it will not flash them. The sign check has been disabled in 1.8 and up...
This is what I think I remember reading, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

brgds
Royan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a custom recovery based on Cyanogen's recovery source with a lot of things added by me. The purpose of this recovery is to avoid using adb by accessing all features directly from the menu.

This recovery is for the HTC Nexus One only, if you have a :
    - HTC Dream/G1 you should go here.
    - HTC Magic/MT3G you should go here.
    - HTC Hero you should go here.
    - HTC Sprint Hero you should go here.
    - HTC Eris you should go here.
    - HTC Tattoo you should go here.

Important notes
    • Always check recovery.log before posting your issues!
      You can do this by doing :
      • "cat /tmp/recovery.log" OR "cat /cache/recovery/log" right after you had the issue.
      • Use the "move log to sd" option in the "others" menu right after you had the issue. This will move the log to /sdcard/recovery.log so you can easily open it with a text editor.

Features

Use the trackball (up+down) to navigate through the menu, press the trackball to select items. Use the Volume-down key to go back to a previous menu.

Features
    • full ADB access in recovery mode
    • Alternative CM and JF version
    • Busybox v1.15.3
    • Kernel (2.6.35.7) with ext3 + ext4 support
    • SLCD and AMOLED support
    • HW-Key navigation (Trackball + Volume-key) option
    • Extended menu :
      • Reboot system now :: reboot your phone
      • USB-MS Toggle :: enable/disable USB mass storage (use when the phone is connected to your PC)
      • Backup/Restore
        • Nand backup :: Make a selective Nandroid backup
        • Nand restore :: Restore a Nandroid backup
        • Backup Google proprietary system files :: Makes a backup of the Google proprietary system files in /cache/google
        • Restore Google proprietary system files :: Restores the Google proprietary system files from /cache/google
      • Flash zip from sdcard.
        • Choose zip from sdcard :: Flash a zip update file from any (sub)-directory on your sdcard
        • Toggle signature verification :: Toggles the signature verification for zip files.
      • Wipe
        • Wipe ALL data/factory reset :: wipes /data + /cache + entire ext partition + all apps installed on your sdcard (froyo a2sd).
        • Wipe /data :: wipes /data.
        • Wipe /cache :: wipes /cache.
        • Wipe /sdcard/.android_secure :: wipes all apps installed on your sdcard (froyo a2sd).
        • Wipe /sd-ext :: wipes the entire ext partition on your sd (if present).
        • Wipe Dalvik-cache :: wipes the dalvik-cache located in /cache + /data + /sd-ext is present.
        • Wipe battery stats :: reset the battery calibration.
        • Wipe rotate settings :: reset the sensor calibration.
      • Partition sdcard
        • Partition SD :: Interactive SD partitioning
        • Repair SD:ext :: Repair the ext partition
        • SD:ext2 to ext3 :: Convert ext2 to ext3
        • SD:ext3 to ext4 :: Convert ext3 to ext4
      • Mounts
        • (Un)Mount /system
        • (Un)Mount /cache
        • (Un)Mount /data
        • (Un)Mount /sd-ext
        • (Un)Mount /sdcard
      • Other
        • Fix apk uid mismatches :: Does extacly that
        • Move recovery.log to SD :: Moves the recovery log file to your sdcard. (Use when you want more detailed recovery log information)
      • Power off :: Powers off your phone
    • Scripts available via adb :

Install

Pre-Requirements :
    • Root
    • Make sure that init.rc isn't calling any install-recovery.sh script, otherwise you'll boot back to stock recovery (exclamation mark with a little Android). More info on this here.

via Rom Manager
    1. Download "Rom Manager" from the Android market
    2. Start "Rom Manager"
    3. Select "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and wait for it to finish
    4. Select "Flash Alternate Recovery" and wait for it to finish -> this will install the latest version of RA recovery.

via fastboot
    Code:
    Copy recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img to a location where fastboot can find it.
    Boot your phone into fastboot mode (power on while holding the trackball)
    Connect your phone via usb to your pc/mac/...
    fastboot devices (to make sure that fastboot "sees" your phone)
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img

via terminal app
    Code:
    Copy recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img to the root of your sdcard
    start the terminal app
    su(press enter)
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-passion-v2.2.1.img(press enter)
    reboot recovery(press enter)

How to boot in Recovery Mode

1. Boot the phone while holding down the VOLUMEDOWN-key.
    2. Navigate to RECOVERY with the the VOLUMEDOWN-key.
    3. Press the POWER-key to select.

Download

ALWAYS check the md5sum to make sure the zip isn't corrupted.

Latest version :

Previous versions :

Change-log :

v2.2.1
    • Nandroid backup is now selective, boot/system/cache/data are selected by default.
    • Nandroid checks if there's at least 500MB free on SDcard before starting a backup.
    • Added/updated error/warning messages.

v2.1.1
    • Fixed ext4 support in kernel! Update from v2.x if you are using sd-ext!

v2.1.0
    • Reduced recovery size by 800kb so it fits any hboot version to date :
      • Set Kernel compression mode to LZMA (33% smaller kernel)
      • Switched kernel debugging off
      • Removed : Networking support - Bluetooth subsystem support
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Misc device - AKM8973 Compass Driver
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Misc device - A1026 Voice Processor Driver
      • Removed : Device Drivers - Multimedia support
      • Removed : Device Drivers - MSM 3D Graphics driver for Adreno class GPU's
    • Nandroid now backups the entire content of /sd-ext , not just the apps. This fixes bootloops of certain restored roms.
    • Moved the "Toggle signature verification"-option from the Other- to the main flash-submenu.
    • Re-ordered the wipe menu.

v2.0.0
    Some things in v2.0.0 were kanged with a twist from the Clockworkmod recovery.
    • Updated kernel to 2.6.35 (SLCD and AMOLED are now both supported).
    • Added SDEXT support for update scripts.
    • Added "filebrowser" support when you select a zip to flash.
    • Added "/.." support to the filebrowser so you can navigate up.
    • Added a mount menu so you can manually (u)mount stuff.
    • Added a toggle verification switch so you can flash those awesome unsigned winrar rom releases...
    • Fully re-wrote the wipe menu (it's not using a script anymore), added a few new wipe options.
    • Added "/sdcard/.android_secure" support , nandroid now backups/restores .android_secure (Froyo a2sd apps) by default.
    • Added a few new Google apps to the Google app backup script.

Special thanks to :
    • packetlss for all the hours of support and awesome coding skills, THANKS man ^^, donate to Haiti
    • Koushik Dutta for all his recovery work ^^
    • Cyanogen for his dedicated work! , buy him a beer!
    • Chris Soyars for the new Apps2SD method ^^
    • JesusFreke for his awesome JFv1.43's recovery , donate
    • pensive for adding awesome features to Nandroid :)
    • Bkmo for his utility script!
    • Devsk for his switchrom script!
    • 51dusty for his sdparted script!
    • k4str0 for his fix_permissions v2.03 update.
    • Devsk, Dumfuq, Overground for creating BART :D
    • rikupw for the ideas and toggle_ums script.
    • http://www.androidspin.com for hosting ^^
    [Recovery] [27-Dec-2010] RA-nexus-v2.1.1

Reserved for future use
    The site is down! Can someone upload the file again??

See attachment
    updated to v2.2.1

Change-log :

v2.2.1
    • Nandroid backup is now selective, boot/system/cache/data are selected by default.
    • Nandroid checks if there's at least 500MB free on SDcard before starting a backup.
    • Added/updated error/warning messages.
    updated to v2.1.1

Changelog : v2.1.1
    • Fixed ext4 support in kernel! Update from v2.x if you are using sd-ext!