Thanks Meter: 1,011

By CMTeamEpic, Retired Recognized Developer on 13th December 2012, 08:56 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th March 2014, 08:26 PM |#1801  
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuGmENTor

... but I'm a fancy man with an S4 now, thus cannot be bothered. I stay for the lurks though, much as a king will watch his subjects from a tower...

You dare denounce the glory that is physical keyboards?

11th March 2014, 01:08 AM |#1802  
Flag Marlboro NY
Thanks Meter: 279

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPMJB

You dare denounce the glory that is physical keyboards?

As attached as I was to the physical kb, I had to move on to multicore technology. When I see how much faster and smoother the same apps run, I am willing to trade the slider for it. Plus, I handed it down to my wife. If it crapped out tomorrow, I think I would ebay another one just because I have so many accessories for it (screen protectors, car dock, spare batteries). If you only understood the POWER of the dark side I guess I'm saying.
11th March 2014, 02:21 AM |#1803  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Quote:

As attached as I was to the physical kb, I had to move on to multicore technology. When I see how much faster and smoother the same apps run, I am willing to trade the slider for it. Plus, I handed it down to my wife. If it crapped out tomorrow, I think I would ebay another one just because I have so many accessories for it (screen protectors, car dock, spare batteries). If you only understood the POWER of the dark side I guess I'm saying.

It truly is an obsolete phone now, as much as I hate to say. Sprint is deploying 800 MHz for voice nationwide; the Epic was Sprint's last phone that didn't have the radio to pick it up. In WiMax markets, Band 41 LTE is active (or available by putting your Sprint Spark phone into LTE-Only mode); why do 6.5mb/s when you can do 70? Those 2 features alone make an upgrade worth while.

That said, to type what I just did, I had to correct my spelling/auto complete 17 times. I do miss my QWERTY, but those features trump.
11th March 2014, 02:28 AM |#1804  
Flag Marlboro NY
Thanks Meter: 279

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPdownLoAD

It truly is an obsolete phone now, as much as I hate to say. Sprint is deploying 800 MHz for voice nationwide; the Epic was Sprint's last phone that didn't have the radio to pick it up. In WiMax markets, Band 41 LTE is active (or available by putting your Sprint Spark phone into LTE-Only mode); why do 6.5mb/s when you can do 70? Those 2 features alone make an upgrade worth while.

That said, to type what I just did, I had to correct my spelling/auto complete 17 times. I do miss my QWERTY, but those features trump.

Do you swype? I have to say that in a little over a month, the predictive engine has all of my cursing and other grammar foibles down pretty well. My wife only needs a phone t talk and text. I'm not sure she knows it even HAS a slide out kb lol.
11th March 2014, 10:34 PM |#1805  
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:

I can see that. I ran the GS4 for a little while and it was a lot faster for certain things, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me. Honestly, this rom seems to run the fastest for me out of all the roms I've tried.

Rumors speculate that a Droid 5 is coming out in fall, which would be when I move. Really all I'm holding out hope for
13th March 2014, 05:08 AM |#1806  
Flag Borger, TX
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPdownLoAD

It truly is an obsolete phone now, as much as I hate to say. Sprint is deploying 800 MHz for voice nationwide; the Epic was Sprint's last phone that didn't have the radio to pick it up.

Total noob question, but is there any way we can fiddle with something on the Epic's software side to make it work with the 800 MHz band? I'm on Ting, which piggybacks on Sprint's network, and my voice coverage (especially AT MY DANG HOUSE) is beyond lousy.
13th March 2014, 05:19 AM |#1807  
Thanks Meter: 225

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking

Total noob question, but is there any way we can fiddle with something on the Epic's software side to make it work with the 800 MHz band? I'm on Ting, which piggybacks on Sprint's network, and my voice coverage (especially AT MY DANG HOUSE) is beyond lousy.

Sorry, no. It doesn't have the hardware to pickup 800mhz.
13th March 2014, 09:10 PM |#1808  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnseeking

The only way to activate 800Mhz service (in this case 850Mhz) on the Epic 4G is to use the Roam Control app to force roaming on Verizon. I'm on the edge of Sprint 1900Mhz service and I use this on my Epic 4G activated on Ting and it works great. In general its probably the best way to go for now til Sprint has 800Mhz more widely deployed. EDIT: For this reason I'm also hesitant to upgrade my phone because if it (Nexus 5) can't force roaming then I may be stuck with crappy 1900Mhz service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr_You For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr_You Ad-Free
13th March 2014, 11:07 PM |#1809  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_You

For this reason I'm also hesitant to upgrade my phone because if it (Nexus 5) can't force roaming then I may be stuck with crappy 1900Mhz service.

Good news! Just read on the Roam Control home page that it does support the Nexus 5:

Quote:

It is targeted towards Sprint users and currently supports the Nexus 5...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)