FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Game streaming to other Android devices or PCs with Moonlight and GeForce Experience

468 posts
Thanks Meter: 406

By cgutman, Senior Member on 31st October 2013, 02:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th November 2013, 01:19 AM |#101  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by encryptioncsta

funny how my Sony Xperia Z Ultra runs this app like crap!

i don't understand why i am getting such poor peroformance

my Nvidia Shield works flawlessly so i am confused to why my Ultra performs poorly when using limelight

My guess would be that it's related to WiFi performance. The Snapdragon 800 has plenty of power to decode in real-time. The Shield has a better wireless implementation than most Android devices. Could you try Limelight on your Shield and see how it goes? What wireless router are you using?

30th November 2013, 07:43 AM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Here's a list of My Specifications

Gaming Rig Setup

Alienware X51
Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz Overclock 3.9GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 TI 2GB
16GB DDR3 RAM
2TB Barracuda HDD
Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader

Alienware OptX AW2310 23" 1080p 3D Monitor
Alienware TactX Gaming Mouse
Alienware TactX Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G930 Wireless Gaming Headset

Virgin Media 120Mb fibre optic Broadband Superhub 2

I also have the following Android devices

Sony Xperia Z Ultra
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 7
Nvidia Shield

Streaming my Gaming PC to my Nvidia Shield works flawlessly, I even tend to hook it up via mini hdmi - hdmi cable and can play countless hours playing in console mode 1080p 60FPS, i spent around 4 hours tonight playing DMC and even after around 4 hours i ended up forgetting the game was actually being Streamed lol i would like to get this Limelight app working as i laugh how well it works in that video on YouTube yet even on my own nexus 7 and even Z Ultra i get nothing near the same performance

Also i have a bunch of controllers i tend to use

PS3 controller
360 controller
OnLive Controller
OnLive Universal controller
Nyko Playpad Pro controller
Logitech controller

out of all of them the OnLive Universal Controller works the best i am ashamed of how poor the Nyko works after only having the Nyko for a few days i had to just throw it in a drawer as i will most likley never use it again.....

I was getting terible lag and poor performance not to mention the weird 180 to 360 spines the controller would do as if there was something causing it to be glitching or become ultra sensitive but i ended up giving up after hearing the Nyko apps couldnt upgrade the controllers unless the devices were 4.1 or below lmfao!

Nvidia are crazy to have partnered with Nyko! They should of considered partnering with OnLive and them both working on a Controller together, So far though i highly recommend the OnLive Universal Controller.

I will continue to use the Limelight app and hopefully soon it will become as stable of the Nvidia Shield Game Streaming app.
30th November 2013, 02:39 PM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
works amazing on my z ultra faster than the garbage artifact filled shield streaming, Your router MUST be a 5ghz dual band router, im not sure if you have that. Thats the most important thing for streaming.

Also 60fps only works in unreal engine games on the shield so DMC does run at 60fps. NOT AT 1080p its just an upscaled from 720p, No mainstream consumer device has the ability to stream games at 60fps @ 1080p on a WIFI connection.
30th November 2013, 04:46 PM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Connection Error. Starting App Failed
Hi I just heard about this on Linus Tech Tips WAN show, congrats on getting on there. I install this on my Nexus 7 (2013) Running KitKat 4.4. Paring worked fine, but on tapping "Start Streaming Steam!" I get establishing connection for a few seconds and then displays "Connection Error. Starting App Failed". I have made sure the Nvidia Streaming Service has full firewall access on my pc.

Please help would be great to see this working for myself!
30th November 2013, 09:23 PM |#105  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly-Mars

Hi I just heard about this on Linus Tech Tips WAN show, congrats on getting on there. I install this on my Nexus 7 (2013) Running KitKat 4.4. Paring worked fine, but on tapping "Start Streaming Steam!" I get establishing connection for a few seconds and then displays "Connection Error. Starting App Failed". I have made sure the Nvidia Streaming Service has full firewall access on my pc.

Please help would be great to see this working for myself!

Make sure that you have Steam installed and enrolled in beta updates. Also you might need to run GeForce Experience and scan for games before it will pick up Steam to allow you to stream. If none of that works, you could try rebooting your PC or reinstalling GeForce Experience.
30th November 2013, 09:30 PM |#106  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Sounds like a great program. I have paired up with my Tegra Note and can connect however I then get a black screen. I can control the mouse and get sound but no image.

Any ideas? Thank you
30th November 2013, 10:12 PM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
So is this faster than Gamepad THD ? I have about 40ms with Splashtop. With the "normal" shield, the latency is about 10-20 ms. What about limelight ?
30th November 2013, 10:55 PM |#108  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7152

Sounds like a great program. I have paired up with my Tegra Note and can connect however I then get a black screen. I can control the mouse and get sound but no image.

Any ideas? Thank you

Might be a firewall issue? Try disabling the firewall on your PC and see if that makes any difference. I've added some troubleshooting steps to the original post that may also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attreyu

So is this faster than Gamepad THD ? I have about 40ms with Splashtop. With the "normal" shield, the latency is about 10-20 ms. What about limelight ?

Latency should be similar to Shield streaming (especially on a Snapdragon, Exynos, or Tegra 4 device). It is important that the device you're using have a good WiFi connection.
1st December 2013, 03:24 AM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
my router has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, also didnt you read it works flawless on my shield and even works in 1080p 60FPS on alot of games, example DMC, Bioshock, Unreal Tounament 3 etc, the limelight app sucks, it doesn't work anywhere near the same quality as the shields built-in game streaming app sadly!

if so show me a youtube video of any other device using limelight and this so called better quality
1st December 2013, 06:07 AM |#110  
Flag Phoenix, AZ
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Lightbulb Feature Request
So, I tested this application, and I have used many of these types of remote gaming applications. I have used Single-Player Game Transmitter, Splashtop, Kainy, GeForce Experience, and a few others. I had signed up for the Kainy.net forums for the purpose of request a feature I feel is missing in every single one of these applications: custom H.264 encoding configuration. I understand for most users, preset H.264 encoding is unnecessary and overkill, but encoding options (if customized per setup) can offer much better results and frame-rates than a generic template config. Now, again, I asked at the Kainy.net forum, and his forum requires moderation, and it never even got looked at. I have come here for the same request. I know, after using many different of the H.264 encoders, and using all different kinds of options, that even the slightest modification can sometimes mean a drastic improvement of performance, or increase in video quality.

I do, however, understand that this probably simple, so I have a few questions before even really getting a yay or nay:
1. Does the GFE allow any customization of encoding options on video and/or audio?
2. If so, how far can you customize these options?
3. If you do intend to implement a function to customize said options, will it be a config file, UI option, or how will it be implemented?

If you do intend to make this a thing, please let me know ASAP. I am thoroughly impressed with your work so far, and understand how difficult it is to make an open-source implementation of this nature, and then get all kinds of requests, and have to compensate for bugs and such. Keep up the good work, and thank you for doing this project!
1st December 2013, 10:02 AM |#111  
Flag Portugal
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I already suggested the possibility of changing bitrate and/or resolution, but its not possible at least now, because the configuration packet they send was capture from the shield and the still were able to decode it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, game streaming, gamestream, geforce experience, shield

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)