8th November 2010, 12:54 AM |#501  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Southwest Florida
Thanks Meter: 1,579

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strictlyrude27

I wonder how this works out since the work being derived is GPL-licensed. My impression was any GPL-derived work must also be licensed under the GPL, and as such any source code used to build said work must also be released freely to the public. (On another note, this means that while I have no problem donating to TW to use some of their donation-only ROMs and kernels, I don't think it's allowable under the GPL to not release the source code - or at least, someone could leak donator-only ROMs and kernels knowing the GPL specifically allows this to happen.)

Is this not the case? I feel like with the events of the past 48 hours and both Eugene and TeamWhiskey releasing fully working 2.2 ROMs, this little tidbit is being neglected. Furthermore, if the complete GPL-licensed leaked source code was released publically for all developers to use, I feel like such animosity that we've seen lately between developers would be mitigated.

I think the main point you're missing is that it hasn't been released publicly. I think the last line of the Op states that when it is released publicly publicly Tw will also release the source code.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

8th November 2010, 12:54 AM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
I think you need to reflash a 2.1 kernel as nandroid doesnt revert kernels
8th November 2010, 12:54 AM |#503  
Thanks Meter: 380

Donate to Me
More
I've read all 500+ posts today. This thread is going to be a monster.
Loving this black hole called Obsidian. It's just sucking us all in.
8th November 2010, 12:56 AM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Another bug I noticed when I open my gallery It will open then say loading image rhen one it loads the images it will go black the show the thumbnails of my pics and keep repeating the process. Can someone pkease verify that they are having the same problem please.
8th November 2010, 12:56 AM |#505  
Augusta
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2000000

I have a nandroid backup of stock 2.1.

Now that Ive been Froyo-ed, can I restore that 2.1 backup if I need to without any additional steps?

Thanks

Not to be a turd seeing as I am fairly new, but read a little first. YES, if you go back you have to flash a 2.1 kernel or you will soft brick your phone.
8th November 2010, 12:59 AM |#506  
Woodlone!
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdutyninja808

Not to be a turd seeing as I am fairly new, but read a little first. YES, if you go back you have to flash a 2.1 kernel or you will soft brick your phone.

It won't soft brick your screens just gonna be rotated 90 degrees
8th November 2010, 01:00 AM |#507  
Flag Orem, UT
Thanks Meter: 14

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2000000

I have a nandroid backup of stock 2.1.

Now that Ive been Froyo-ed, can I restore that 2.1 backup if I need to without any additional steps?

Thanks

Reasonable question. I soft bricked my phone earlier today because I didn't ask/research it. In order for you to flash successfully you will need to flash a rom that has a kernel baked into it already. Grab any rom you want (that has a kernel bundled with it) as long as it is 2.1 and flash it over the top. Once you are booted, go ahead and use your nandroid to get you back the way you were.

Nandroid backups do not include a kernel, so you would be replacing your ROM with a 2.1 ROM and leaving a 2.2 kernel. Not a good combo.
8th November 2010, 01:07 AM |#508  
Flag Kirkland, WA
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I <3 TW!!!! I wish my NANDROID would hurry up so I can flash this!!
8th November 2010, 01:07 AM |#509  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoth12

Reasonable question. I soft bricked my phone earlier today because I didn't ask/research it. In order for you to flash successfully you will need to flash a rom that has a kernel baked into it already. Grab any rom you want (that has a kernel bundled with it) as long as it is 2.1 and flash it over the top. Once you are booted, go ahead and use your nandroid to get you back the way you were.

Nandroid backups do not include a kernel, so you would be replacing your ROM with a 2.1 ROM and leaving a 2.2 kernel. Not a good combo.

Thanks for all the quick replies. I read all 52 pages of this thread and saw conflicting posts about what happens. Thanks dragoth12 for clearing it up, as I was hoping someone here had some first hand experience with this issues.

Thanks
8th November 2010, 01:09 AM |#510  
Flag Victorville
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Just for my own clarification, I am stock with Ryanz lag fix.... Do I still have to undo it? It said I can just flash over it, but flash the lag undo or the rom?

Also, I just made a nandroid backup, should it be saved anywhere special so it doesn't get overwritten?

Will flashing this ROM erase all my media/contacts/apps?

Thanks for all the help!!!!
8th November 2010, 01:09 AM |#511  
Augusta
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex530

It won't soft brick your screens just gonna be rotated 90 degrees

The first time I went from 2.2 back to 2.1 I forgot to reflash a 2.1 kernel. When it rebooted it wouldn't boot past the vibrant boot up.

But hey, anything can happen. I have screwed myself plenty of times and reading these forums were my saving grace!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
alice cooper kewl, gives my phone wings, http://bit.ly/fqf3pz, i'm gr8tful-thanks somb!, im wet, jack daniel's, makes my kooter.wet, mmm bacon cookies mmm, old no. 7, pinoy ako!, super io kernel = win!!, vibrant rom, worth reading all posts

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)