How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
thnx, and how do i need to use the debugging usb?

In Settings, tap on Applications, then Development, and enable USB debugging.

BTW... If you're running Windows 7, especially 64 bit edition (not tried this on 32bit), then having USB debugging enabled seems to make copying to the device over micro-usb incredibly slow for some reason. So turn it off when you don't need it. ;)

Reactions: Freakgs

project.in.process

Aug 21, 2010
this thread is EXACTLY what i needed to read--i'm looking to get one of these this week & recently rooted my Thunderbolt.

sweet! glad to see there's a Dev community for this tab, too

Freakgs

Mar 17, 2010
In Settings, tap on Applications, then Development, and enable USB debugging.

BTW... If you're running Windows 7, especially 64 bit edition (not tried this on 32bit), then having USB debugging enabled seems to make copying to the device over micro-usb incredibly slow for some reason. So turn it off when you don't need it. ;)

Thanks, it really drove me mad, that the transfer speed was so slow. I was using Samba to bypass the usb cable but your hint worked for me.

JohnnyReb67

Dec 23, 2010
i know that the os is free ;) but i am working i the ICT sector so i wanna use all the programms of applanet and therefore my device needs to be rooted ;)

If you are in the ICT sector you probably know the work that goes into development. Applanet ensures that developers don't get the fruits of their work. Why not simply say you want root because you are a cheap S.O.B. who doesn't care about anyone but yourself?

distructor

Jun 13, 2011
If you are in the ICT sector you probably know the work that goes into development. Applanet ensures that developers don't get the fruits of their work. Why not simply say you want root because you are a cheap S.O.B. who doesn't care about anyone but yourself?

Thanks for your reaction :D i like it that you know me so fast :D

bootsie99

Sep 1, 2010
Worked Perfectly, so far did an update and rooted the acer. Just got it last night.

Now onto attempt the new rom

Nucleotide

May 31, 2011
Quick question - if I root the A500, do I need to install a new ROM or will the original one work fine but just with elevated/root privileges?

Thanks!

entropy.of.avarice

Apr 29, 2010
St. Louis
Using the a500 3.0.1

Followed the instructions to the letter - worked like a charm. What part of the process do you run into trouble with?

There is a very helpful youtube video posted in this thread showing the process step by step.

Best luck!

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
I have not been able to root my a500 running 3.0.1. Anyone have any luck with 3.0.1?

3.0.1 is the official HC version at the moment, and everyone else is able to root it just fine, so it's you.

Do you have a MicroSD card in the device? If not, you need one. If yes, try a different one.
Are you in portrait mode? If no, turn the device around and try again.
Is the portrait lock switch locked? If no, try locking it and see. People have reported both positions as working and not working, so try both.
How long are you waiting? It will take several minutes before it reboots.

SRed13

Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta
I have run the app with logcat enabled on ADB, and see pages and pages of the following message.

Code:
E/DirectVolume(   78): Partition '/devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.2/mmc_host/mmc1' has a different major than its disk!

Seems like the exploit is not being applied correctly. Any ideas?

I thought that having it runnign with logcat might cause the problem, so I rebooted and have the device in portrait mode with Screen lock NOT on. Its like seven mins in and nothing has happened so far. About to try a different SD Card.

Bonus Double Edit:

When your boss asks you to root his device and swears up and down he put an SD Card Inside, do not trust him.

Inserted SD Card, ran the apk, device rebooted in about 1 min, 30 seconds, and now has root.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w
    I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)