21st December 2013, 04:00 PM |#31  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,519

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNTHoM

Hi Guy's,

I've had a working Chromecast, with 13300 firmware including OTA. I just wanted to use the CC, but was confronted with a black screen. When a rebooted, I saw the logo from Team Eureka, which wasn't there before, so I Thought it was OTA updated (yes!). But the CC wouldn't boot completely, it left me with a black screen, I tried updating to 14975 manually, but that just gave me the same result; boot the device, Team Eureka logo blinking twice, and than the screen stays black.

To be able to use the CC, I have flashed the previous version of 13300 without the OTA. (And its working again) I will try updating again when there will be a new version.

I just thought I would share this information, if you like I can post a install log. Since nobody else is facing any issues, I guess it's just my luck

Well my guess is it has to do with how google now detects your display. They changed the code that detects what resolution to output at, and I feel that may be the cause of your issue This bug was reported by other users on the official OTA, so chances are that's the issue. Have you tried unplugging it from the TV while its on, and then plugging it back into its HDMI port? You may also want to do a factory reset and re-set it up to see if it fixes it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddggttff3 Ad-Free

21st December 2013, 04:08 PM |#32  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3

Either way, I just pushed build V1.1 with the fixes. This will fix all panel/config related issues It will push vi OTA system, so you can reboot your device to force the update check, or just download and flash the file from OP.

The CC will check for updates on boot up but is this OTA like the previous one where they were staggered as not to overload your server?
21st December 2013, 04:10 PM |#33  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

The CC will check for updates on boot up but is this OTA like the previous one where they were staggered as not to overload your server?

For this OTA, we are actually doing a all at once OTA to get it out to people for XMas, and to test our VPS. So far the server has been doing fine, and the thing has enough bandwidth to handle it. All OTA's after this tho will go back to the rollout code though.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddggttff3 Ad-Free
21st December 2013, 04:32 PM |#34  
Flag Almere
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Well my guess is it has to do with how google now detects your display. They changed the code that detects what resolution to output at, and I feel that may be the cause of your issue This bug was reported by other users on the official OTA, so chances are that's the issue. Have you tried unplugging it from the TV while its on, and then plugging it back into its HDMI port? You may also want to do a factory reset and re-set it up to see if it fixes it.

Thanks for your quick response! I took your advise and started with a factory reset, then flashed the 14975 firmware. But the result remains the same, also unplugging and plugging it back in with the TV on didn't resolve it.

I will look for the thread of the OTA, and monitor whats happening there, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
21st December 2013, 04:34 PM |#35  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNTHoM

Thanks for your quick response! I took your advise and started with a factory reset, then flashed the 14975 firmware. But the result remains the same, also unplugging and plugging it back in with the TV on didn't resolve it.

I will look for the thread of the OTA, and monitor whats happening there, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

No problem, you might want to report the bug to google. I know last time they were asking users for info on their TV/Tuner to try and fix the bug. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...5B1-25-true%5D
21st December 2013, 04:34 PM |#36  
Warren, MI

More
Quote:

For this OTA, we are actually doing a all at once OTA to get it out to people for XMas, and to test our VPS. So far the server has been doing fine, and the thing has enough bandwidth to handle it. All OTA's after this tho will go back to the rollout code though.

I removed my CC from my TV and powered it up via wall wart and watched it a bit to see if I could see it reboot. I caught a reboot so it updated but I can't connect to it via its IP.

Before if TV source is selected repowered up, I'd see PWNED! but I don't now, has that changed? I checked with the CC app to recheck the IP address, it does have new build with new home screen, etc.

It seems to boot/reboot differently!
21st December 2013, 04:38 PM |#37  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:

I removed my CC from my TV and powered it up via wall wart and watched it a bit to see if I could see it reboot. I caught a reboot so it updated but I can't connect to it via its IP.

Before if TV source is selected repowered up, I'd see PWNED! but I don't now, has that changed? I checked with the CC app to recheck the IP address, it does have new build with new home screen, etc.

It seems to boot/reboot differently!

If you unpowered it during its update process, you will have to re-flash the ROM using Flashcast on a jumpdrive. You should now have a team eureka boot animation on the device. Also, if you remove power during flashing theres a good chance that it was interrupted during the flash of the system partition, which means its corrupt.. I recommend re-flashing with flashcast to be safe if you dont see the team eureka boot animation.
21st December 2013, 04:43 PM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyonz

Hi Rooksx,

I've just identified this as an issue and am working on resolving it - in the meantime you can definitely reflash the old method - and I'll have this update to fix in an OTA very shortly (soon as I can find out why it's broken - I blame ddggttff3)

I'll report back in the next 30mins with the results of my testing for anyone else.

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Just found the issue, it's related to permissions on the /data/eureka folder.

If you run "chmod 777 /data/eureka" it'll fix it - however I'm just checking if the web panel has enough permissions to execute this (or you may need to adb into the device to fix it) we'll have a fix for this out asap - however this will get you up and running immediately.

Edit: you can run "chmod 777 /data/eureka" from the debug panel to resolve this issue immediately until we are able to release a fix for it - sorry for the issue it appears to have hit us from a change in the latest OTA that we are building off that we never saw.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

Thanks that debug thingy worked. Although ota updating right now - fast work! Incidentally it doesn't seem you have to reboot to start the ota as I was in the middle of watching something when it started.
21st December 2013, 04:43 PM |#39  
Flag Almere
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

No problem, you might want to report the bug to google. I know last time they were asking users for info on their TV/Tuner to try and fix the bug.

It's my lucky day I followed the link you provided to see how I could contribute, first post was a message saying it was solved! So I tried the simple instructions, and it did solve the problem

These are the instructions:

1. Unplug the Chromecast from both HDMI and USB
2. Plug the Chromcast into USB and wait for it to boot (1 minute or ... so until the LED flashes in white)
3. Plug the Chromecast back into the HDMI

Thumbs up
The Following User Says Thank You to VaNTHoM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VaNTHoM Ad-Free
21st December 2013, 04:55 PM |#40  
Warren, MI

More
Quote:

If you unpowered it during its update process, you will have to re-flash the ROM using Flashcast on a jumpdrive. You should now have a team eureka boot animation on the device. Also, if you remove power during flashing theres a chance that the update script never modded the image, which means you may be running the stock google ROM without the updated bootloader. I recommend re-flashing with flashcast to be safe if you dont see the team eureka boot animation.

Apparently I didn't wait long enough! I manually flashed the update and all is normal but it does boot up faster than before.
21st December 2013, 04:58 PM |#41  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:

Apparently I didn't wait long enough! I manually flashed the update and all is normal but it does boot up faster than before.

It happens, just always turn on your TV to make sure your device is not updating before unplugging it from power.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)