Vivo is testing a software update for RAZR

Search This thread

Ronis_BR

Jan 5, 2011
São José dos Campos
Hi fellows,

I contacted the Motorola support and they said that Vivo's Motorola RAZR is about to get an update to improve the cellphone performance. When it is ready, it will become available by OTA system.

Thanks,
Ronan.

Reactions: Bruno Nunes

casaroli

Jan 6, 2012
Santa Rita do Sapucai
Hello,

I got my phone on Vivo, and it came with version 651.73.240.XT910.Vivo.en.BR.

This version is very buggy and some bad localization, like for example the function to merge contacts was translated to "Conferência", wich means "Conference", and clearly does not have anything to do with "Merge".

I then used Motorola Software Update to download an update, and since it was failing to update the phone, I used RSD Lite to manually update it.

Now I am using 651.73.2062.XT910.Vino.en.BR, and the phone performance is much better, the localization is fixed but I still see some bugs with the camera app and 3G modem dropping data, but its still better than stock.

You say that this OTA will be appied on top of 2062, or maybe its the 2062 itself but an OTA version?

Or its a complete new OTA that can be applied on top of 2062 and 240?

Reactions: Ronis_BR

Ronis_BR

Jan 5, 2011
São José dos Campos
Hello,

This version is very buggy and some bad localization, like for example the function to merge contacts was translated to "Conferência", wich means "Conference", and clearly does not have anything to do with "Merge".

I then used Motorola Software Update to download an update, and since it was failing to update the phone, I used RSD Lite to manually update it.

Now I am using 651.73.2062.XT910.Vino.en.BR, and the phone performance is much better, the localization is fixed but I still see some bugs with the camera app and 3G modem dropping data, but its still better than stock.

You say that this OTA will be appied on top of 2062, or maybe its the 2062 itself but an OTA version?

Hi fellow!

I'm pretty sure it will be 2062.

I haven't noticed that the version here on XDA is 2062. I thought it was 206 and, since mine is 240, then I hasn't updated :)

Can you help me to update my RAZR to 2062? I has a very big experience with Samsung devices, but to achieve it, I hard bricked my Galaxy TAB :) Since I really don't want to be without a cellphone and Samsung devices doesn't use fastboot, can you give some tips how can I flash this update by fastboot?

By the way, I have something that might be useful for Brazilian RAZR owners:

From Motorola support chat:

Marivaldo: A informação que temos é que será o primeiro aparelho Motorola a receber a versão 4.0 do android, até segundo semestre de 2012.
(The information available to us is that Motorola RAZR will be the first phone to receive android 4.0, which will happen until second semester 2012)

Ronan Jardim : nossa, muito bom!
Ronan Jardim : obrigado!
Ronan Jardim : então a Motorola do Brasil atualizará sim?
(Very good, thanks, so Motorola will update this device in Brazil also, won't it?)

Marivaldo: Sim, sem sobra de dúvidas.
Marivaldo: É uma atualização aguardada por todos.
(For sure, it is an update expected by everyone)

So, how much do you believe that?! :)

Ronan

brunoerre

Aug 29, 2011
São Paulo
Until second semester?

Oh, lord. If Moto keeps following their schedule the way they're doing now, it probably means we won't see this ICS update any time before october.

Ronis_BR

Jan 5, 2011
São José dos Campos
Nevermind :)

I managed to do that... very simple and straightforward...

I'm now with 2062 version that was build on Dec 6 (or 16 can't remember), the other was built on 20 Oct.

I'll post the differences I saw tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ronan

casaroli

Jan 6, 2012
Santa Rita do Sapucai
Would you mind to show how you managed to update? Appreciate that! Thanks!

Start here: ht tp: // direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/support/update/[/url]

select your country, then your carrier, or "retail" for retail version.

Download that software and *DO NOT INSTALL TO "c:\program files (x86)\motorola mobility\software update" because the file paths will get too long and you will have problems.

To avoid these long filepaths problems, install it to somewhere else shorter, like for example "c:\moto"

Run the software updater while connected to the Internet, connect your phone to the computer and follow the steps on the update.

The do not forget to root again :p

Good luck!

Ronis_BR

Jan 5, 2011
São José dos Campos

Download that software and *DO NOT INSTALL TO "c:\program files (x86)\motorola mobility\software update" because the file paths will get too long and you will have problems.

To avoid these long filepaths problems, install it to somewhere else shorter, like for example "c:\moto"

Run the software updater while connected to the Internet, connect your phone to the computer and follow the steps on the update.

Good luck!

I wasn't able to perform the update with software update by motorola...
The only way possible was to use RSD Lite and fastboot files here.

Thanks!
Ronan

casaroli

Jan 6, 2012
Santa Rita do Sapucai
I haven't noticed that the version here on XDA is 2062. I thought it was 206 and, since mine is 240, then I hasn't updated :)

I was confused also when I first saw. Perhaps someone need to notify the EternityProject thread about the version number so it does not cause more confusion.

I still can't post to that thead :mad:, so maybe someone else could do it.

BTW, After the update, running Motorola Software Update does not update anymore, since we are already at the latest version.

I guess using Motorola Software Update is the safest way to upgrade and for sure it should not void your warranty.

Thanks

Ronis_BR

Jan 5, 2011
São José dos Campos
I was confused also when I first saw. Perhaps someone need to notify the EternityProject thread about the version number so it does not cause more confusion.

BTW, After the update, running Motorola Software Update does not update anymore, since we are already at the latest version.

I guess using Motorola Software Update is the safest way to upgrade and for sure it should not void your warranty.

Thanks

Software Update will do exactly what RSD Lite and the fastboot files is doing. There isn't anyway to know which kind of method was used to update the cellphone. So, if you have a Vivo cellphone and flashed a Vivo stock ROM from here, if you don't do anything wrong, then you are "safe".

casaroli

Jan 6, 2012
Santa Rita do Sapucai

Thanks!
Ronan

Did you install to the default location? Open the software update folder, find the ZIP and try to extract it, you will see that it will create an empty folder (with very long name), and will give an error to extract the file contents. Motorola Software Update just fails to install the update and does not describe the error. Using windows to extract, you should see the error.

Moving the whole software update folder to c:\moto should work, since the extraction works.

If it does not work, you can manually flash by RSD Lite, and use the downloaded zip in the software update folder.

Ronis_BR

Jan 5, 2011
São José dos Campos
Did you install to the default location? Open the software update folder, find the ZIP and try to extract it, you will see that it will create an empty folder (with very long name), and will give an error to extract the file contents. Motorola Software Update just fails to install the update and does not describe the error. Using windows to extract, you should see the error.

Moving the whole software update folder to c:\moto should work, since the extraction works.

If it does not work, you can manually flash by RSD Lite, and use the downloaded zip in the software update folder.

I think that Motorola Software Upgrade doesn't need to extract update.zip. Normally, it is pushed to the phone and than extracted. If update.zip is extracted in Windows (NTFS partition) I think that it will have problems with permissions and links that must be defined in RAZR's ext3 partition.

But it is only my guess :D

casaroli

Jan 6, 2012
Santa Rita do Sapucai
I'm pretty sure that Software Updates (and RSD Lite) extracts the ZIP because I could see the empty folder created on the software update folder.

Also, the contents of the ZIP are not the actual files on the phone (i.e. the ext3 fs contents), they are flash images, like radio.img, filesystem image, webtop, and so on. Also, there is the file mapping so software update knows where to flash each image.

Extracting this file should not lead to any error on permissions.

I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm not able to extract the zip contents and post here. I could do it later.

Ronis_BR

Jan 5, 2011
São José dos Campos
I'm pretty sure that Software Updates (and RSD Lite) extracts the ZIP because I could see the empty folder created on the software update folder.

Also, the contents of the ZIP are not the actual files on the phone (i.e. the ext3 fs contents), they are flash images, like radio.img, filesystem image, webtop, and so on. Also, there is the file mapping so software update knows where to flash each image.

Extracting this file should not lead to any error on permissions.

I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm not able to extract the zip contents and post here. I could do it later.

Yes, if it is images than you are right!
Unfortunately, I have already updated my RAZR, so we can't test it :(

Ronis_BR

Jan 5, 2011
São José dos Campos
Yes, I think you are right.
I saw the file in software upgrade's folder and it is the same file (same md5sum and name) I have flashed using RSD Lite 5.6.

Well, here the differences I saw:

- As casaroli commented, some translations were fixed.
- GPS is 100x faster. I think they really enable AGPS. I can see the option in GPS Status apk, which didn't exist before. In a cold start and using the network (AGPS), I got a satellite fix in less than 25 seconds inside my home (near a window obviously).
- The operational system is much more stable.
- I think (didn't test it) that WiFi connection is better.
- Windows Live apk is installed.
- Compass problem wasn't solved :(

It is a very good update, my RAZR is much more stable and I recommend to everyone who have a Vivo RAZR.

I won't explain how to use RSD Lite since you can brick your device. First, try what casaroli said and try to update by Software Upgrade by Motorola. It is the safest way always.

njoismartguys

Nov 15, 2011

Good luck!

Thanks! The ROM on the official ROM page from the development section has 2062 (as you figured already)

Now we have to see how can we flash android 2.3.6 here :)

Yes looking forward for this. Plainly I am so disappointed with Moto's update schedule for different regions. Thought Google acquisition would speed up the process, but doesn't seem like it.

mestisso79

Feb 25, 2011
campinas
MY I updated to 2.3.6

Update via RSD LITE

Attachments

• IMG_20120124_193935.jpg
    IMG_20120124_193935.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20120124_193947.jpg
    IMG_20120124_193947.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20120124_194048.jpg
    IMG_20120124_194048.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20120124_194642.jpg
    IMG_20120124_194642.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 183

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi fellows,

I contacted the Motorola support and they said that Vivo's Motorola RAZR is about to get an update to improve the cellphone performance. When it is ready, it will become available by OTA system.

Thanks,
    Ronan.
    Hello,

Thanks

Thanks!
    Ronan

MY I updated to 2.3.6

Update via RSD LITE