Carrier IQ Profile collection for EFF

Search This thread

dendrax

Dec 24, 2011
LG Optimus S profile

For what it's worth, I tried checking this out on my LG Optimus S. I'm currently rooted using a custom ROM (YOUR-MOM-ROM) that doesn't include Carrier IQ, but I checked my nandroid backup files from when I was running stock. The only profile file I could find was defaultProfile.pro in the assets folder inside apps\IQAgent.apk, and that file was the same as the "stock" HTC Sprint file:

C:\TEMP>md5sum defaultProfile.pro
a6886135d2d1ea423d4edde389fe1794 *defaultProfile.pro

The same default profile file is also embedded inside lib\libiq_service.so starting at byte offset 0x82A14.

So... no new profile as far as I can tell, but hopefully this info helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, an EFF volunteer - Jered Wierzbicki - has created an application called IQIQ to decode Carrier IQ profiles back to XML. Their public git repo is in the above linked article. In a nutshell, Profiles contain what data is sent back at what interval and to where.

We are now able to see sets of metrics called from phones. The problem is right now we only have default profiles. The EFF is looking to collect as many profiles from as many different devices as possible trying to find real metrics.

Github Proof of concept code for a "profile scraper": https://github.com/TrevE/IQTool
    (right now it scans, but only works for automatic sending of archive.img from tmobile, but it should be for root or non root)
    If you can contribute go for it! It would help to have a "one click profile sender" out there for everyone.

Possible Methods

FINDING .PRO FILES
    We are not too sure yet where updated profiles get stored, so for the time being root users can run the following to search out all .pro files on your disk.

Code:
    adb shell busybox find / -iname "*.pro"

It will likely be some sort of IQProfile.pro, CIQProfile.pro, defaultprofile.pro. Once you locate it just:

Code:
    adb pull /full/path/to/profile.pro .

Other strategies, such as grepping for a characteristic string like " CONSTANT " across the whole filesystem, might also turn out to be useful. Use this thread to experiment with and improve such techniques!

Waiters suggests a command reference:
    maybe something like this (which could take hours to run...)

Code:
    grep -r "CONSTANT PROPID" /

Getting archive.img from non-embedded CIQ
    We don't yet know if all profiles will be .pro files, or if they'll sometimes be embedded inside of other things. If you are on tmobile the profile information is potentially contained in an archive.img file. The file could be world readable, so you might not even need to be rooted.

WARNING ABOUT ARCHIVE.IMG FORMATS:
    Please be warned that sensitive data could be in this archive.img file such as URLs, IMEI, SMS metadata, etc.. EFF will always do its best to keep archive.img files confidential, but please DO NOT send them if there may be any private information on the handset you are working with

Example of where Tmobiles CIQ archive is:
    Code:
    adb pull /data/data/com.carrieriq.tmobile/app_iq_archive/archive.img .

KNOWN STOCK MD5SUMS
    Were really trying to find some new profiles containing the pushed metrics, so to check if you are looking at a "stock" profile or not (this only applies to if you find a .pro file)

Code:
    adb shell busybox md5sum /path/to/profile.pro

If it matches one of these md5sums (number on the left) it is likely a known "stock" profile.
    Code:
    e37a4a8e3ea6d6aa4b7423a462541fa9  att-galaxy-s2-defaultProfile.pro
    2618eaa2e3310ec36e1b86f8b643c5fa  htc-amaze-tmob-defaultProfile.pro
    a6886135d2d1ea423d4edde389fe1794  htc-evo-sprint-iqprofile.pro
    2618eaa2e3310ec36e1b86f8b643c5fa  tmob-defaultProfile.pro

SUBMITTING PROFILES

If you would like to submit your profile or archive.img to EFF so CarrierIQ metrics on what operator can be better understood, please send that data off to iqiq@eff.org . It would be very helpful to them to include phone model and network it was pulled from as well.
    Thanks for all your help guys!
    Portal article coming up. Thanks TrevE, and Jered and the EFF. We really appreciate everything you do.
    maybe something like this (which could take hours to run...)

Code:
    grep -r "CONSTANT PROPID" /
    I made a quick and dirty android app for searching / sending profiles. I will be polishing it up more, anyone else feel free to jump in here to. The more grep strings or other locations these profiles are found will be added in here.

Right now it works only for tmobile flawlessly. But it will work for non rooted tmobile users, so if you feel comfortable send this to everyone on tmo you know to get the ball rolling. There is a compiled copy in bin\

https://github.com/TrevE/IQTool
    I hope it will work on unrooted stock. I have some candidates.

Sent from my Clean ROM 3D

for tmo? it should the files are world readable - but it was quick and dirty code :) If not let me know and ill have er fixed up. Ill be cleaning up more in the next hours, just havta run up for a bit so i pushed my first checkpoint

XBpyK.png