[Q] Kernel, Rom, Firmware. Some noob questions

Search This thread

Surajmeena505

Dec 3, 2016
Jaipur,Kanpur(current)
Answer to 2nd question

Thanks for the replies guys!

By un brick able you mean that its hard to brick it, or if I brick it its hard to un brick (fix) it then?

Also I'm having a hard understanding, if kernel is the thing that manages the hardware and also responsible for lagfix then kernel is really what matters for the performance of the phone. How a ROM could improve phones performance?

Also one more questions:
As I understand CSC and modem are connectivity related files (3G internet, APNS etc) right? So its better not to touch them when flashing custom ROM/kernel?

Thanks a lot again!

Actually the kernel is a part of a ROM. So ROM is the necessary requirement along with kernel basically they complement each other

Jul 14, 2019
Everyone has a kernel - even if you don't mod your phone at all. It wouldn't work without one!

Now, if you flash a ROM, you change the whole system including the kernel. If you flash a kernel, you're only changing the core piece of your system.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Just a quick question. For instance, I am on my Poco f1 running pixel experience caf edition, and I will flash it with extreme kernel. When I update the Pixel experience caf through OTA because a newer version came out, will it affect my custom flashed kernel (extreme kernel)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The kernel in android is essentially just a customized Linux kernel. The ROM is basically the application layer and the framework. Usually ROMs include kernels, but you can flash a different compatible kernel.

Firmware usually refers to either all the basic software on your phone (minus the apps) or the ROM, csc and modem.

You can definetly flash a custom kernel onto a stock ROM, which will improve performance a great deal even without a custom ROM. Find instructions aplenty here on XDA.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App
    the CSC doesnt have to match the baseband. for exapmle, you can have XXJPY baseband and XXJQ1 modem. (thats what i used to run)

its all about finding the right modem for your region, you want to make sure you get good connections dont ya ? modems affect SMS, Calls, Data, WIFI, so on.....

so you want the right one. If you go to rom kitchen, you can see all the modems and what region they cover :D
    Thanks!

But is there a way not to touch the CSC/modem when flashing custom kernel/ROM? I'm really afraid to mess with those.

Also could someone refer to this question:

Thanks a lot again, and sorry for a bunch of questions! :)

Think of the kernel as the drivers and the ROM as the OS. If your drivers are from 1987, windows 7 wont run well, if at all. However, you can have the newest 2011 drivers installed on Windows 95....same thing. Kernel and ROM must be well suited and work together for a good experience.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium