Any tips on how to install swype beta?

Search This thread

Dr. Drax

Feb 10, 2013
The same on me with Perfect keyboard.
With all steps repeated 10 times ... after first FC reinstall Perfect KBD from system/app. Everithing is OK till next reboot....again FC.
Yeah, I had the same thing following the instructions with Swype. It worked great until I rebooted, and now it's cycling FC every 10 seconds or so.

Anyone worked out how to fix the hidden part of the keyboard in landscape view?
Well, yes, for the short time I had it working... :p
You can hide the button bar and use an app like Button Savior to make them accessible on the main part of the screen. See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37862456&postcount=3

Dr. Drax

Feb 10, 2013
FCs after reboot solved!

After a bunch of playing around, I finally solved the problem with FCs after a reboot!

I think the problem is because the Swype installer automatically installed the Swype Beta APK before I copied it to root. The solution was to uninstall Swype Beta, which I did by using the AppMgr in ES File Explorer. Then I reinstalled it by going to /system/app/ and clicking on com.nuance.swype.beta-1.apk

What I figured out was that the lib files from the APK kept getting recopied to /data/data/com.nuance.swype.beta/lib/ and then those files would get used instead of the copies in /system/lib/. Once I uninstalled and reinstalled from /system/app, the lib files no longer wound up in /data/... so the Kindle always uses the versions in /system/lib/, preventing the FCs.

Hinzman420

Oct 28, 2010
Ok like the the newer version thanks for the info. But to install it all I did was use the installer and went to my keyboard settings and under default choose Swype beta and finished all the registration stuff and now I'm using it. It does not need to be put in system apps folder. I did that at first and it force closed the app. You do however have to keep the kindle Swype version in place or you get force closes as well as the notification bar gets all screwy.

Edit. Ok the only thing I couldn't get to work right was landscape view

Sent Using My Rooted Kindle Fire HD 7"

Last edited:

Dr. Drax

Feb 10, 2013
Ok like the the newer version thanks for the info. But to install it all I did was use the installer and went to my keyboard settings and under default choose Swype beta and finished all the registration stuff and now I'm using it. It does not need to be put in system apps folder. I did that at first and it force closed the app. You do however have to keep the kindle Swype version in place or you get force closes as well as the notification bar gets all screwy.
No idea how that worked for you. You're still on version 7.2.3 of the Kindle software, right? Maybe they changed something in version 8, which is probably what most people in this thread are running.

Hinzman420

Oct 28, 2010
No idea how that worked for you. You're still on version 7.2.3 of the Kindle software, right? Maybe they changed something in version 8, which is probably what most people in this thread are running.

Any ideas on the landscape issue. And yes im running 7.2.3. Therse a new update?

Sent Using My Rooted Kindle Fire HD 7"

Dr. Drax

Feb 10, 2013

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Used another users earlier post to install Swype
Here are the steps I took

1 install titanium backup pro
2 install Swype beta installer
3 using titanium backup converted Swype installer to system app
4 installed nook color tools
5 installed Swype keyboard using installer
6 converted Swype installer back to a user app
7 using titanium backup convert Swype keyboard to system app
8 rebooted
9 opened nook color tools and choose Swype
10 rebooted

Note no idea if step 3 was needed, it probably wasn't

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

drumtrucker

Jul 29, 2010
trucking USA (except CA)
It's a much less capable version of Swype than the downloadable beta, lacking features such as syncing user dictionaries and voice recognition.

and also missing... the ability to use the smaller movable keyboard... WHICH ANY AND ALL TABLETS SHOULD HAVE. why does anyone think having the keyboard the full width of tablet is a GOOD idea??? On my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 I can get keyboard that is just shy of 1/2 the width of screen and can type or SWYPE without moving my hand.
LIKE ON A PHONE. jjjjjeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am revising this post on how I got swype beta installed and working on KFHD, the original KF method is not working since amazon locked out the ability to swap keyboards. This requires your device to be rooted

1) Sign up for Swype Beta on their website and download their installer on your KFHD.

2) Install the Installer APK and Log in

3) Select your Beta version and download

4) Install swype

5) Go to data/apps and move swype apk to system/apps and make sure permissions are rw-r-r

6) Install NookColorTools_0.2.apk found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=868366 Link courtesy of timurg

6) Reboot

7) Open NookColorTools and you will be able to select your keyboard. IF you keep getting a Force Close message, just dismiss, go back to system/apps and reinstall swype and force close should stop

8) Enjoy

I was also able to get this method to work with SlideIT keyboard.
    So, I did install Swype and several other keyboards to check. They all work good in portrait mode. But in landscape mode, the navigation bar closes a part of keyboard. The same happens to all keyboards I tried: Swype, Go keyboard, Swift keyboard. Did Anybody had the same problem?

Yes, I have the same problem. As a partial solution - Smart Keyboard Pro has an option to show arrows on the left edge, so the navigational panel closes arrows and not interferes with the letter block of keyboard.
    I got Swype working by installing it then using titanium backup to convert it to system app. I then used nook color tools to choose it as the keyboard. No problems. Well, except for the landscape issue.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2