[ROM] Ubuntu Touch Preview [02/27: Alpha Update #1]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

THIS REQUIRES THE 2ND-BOOTLOADER/RECOVERY ALREADY BE INSTALLED ON YOUR DEVICE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THAT, THEN START HERE:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2100963

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Kindle Fire 2 and see for yourself.

CHANGES:
  • [02/27] Fixed the UI DPI settings. Needs to re-flash following the instructions below.

Instructions [CHANGED 02/27]:

1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android. This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1

2. Download the Kindle Fire2 Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
[02/27] http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/ubuntu-phablet/phablet-20130227-otter2.zip
md5sum: c7d61c7a4c1ecb8f4118e5916ad75417

3. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip

If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/

4. Reboot into recovery.

4a. Wipe system and Factory Reset (wipes data/cache).

IMPORTANT:
4b. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-2013xxxx-otter2.zip SECOND.

5. Reboot and Enjoy

NOTE: The preview comes pre-loaded with several users in the login screen and they have data to browse around with. Move to the "Guest" account and tap on area where it tells you to login.

WHAT WORKS:

• Display
  • Touch screen

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
  • [FIXED 02/27] Need to adjust the GRID_UNIT_PX in /home/phablet/.bashrc to be slightly smaller so that the on-screen keyboard fits correctly.
  • Oddly no WIFI yet. Still troubleshooting.
  • No sound
  • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
  • No screen timeout / auto blank -- becareful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
(Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above for the Kindle Fire 2)

Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch

Last edited:

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Need someone to test out the install before I'll post it up on twitter.

Jan 25, 2013

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
Just tried this out. Very cool but looks big for screen size. Maybe could change screen density. But very neat. Is this the closest to tablet interface it gets?

Last edited:

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Just tried this out. Very cool but looks big for screen size. Maybe could change screen density. But very neat. Is this the closest to tablet interface it gets?

It shouldn't be that big if you flash the filesystem first and then the phablet-######-otter2.zip afterward (it fixes the DPI setting in ubuntu).

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
It shouldn't be that big if you flash the filesystem first and then the phablet-######-otter2.zip afterward (it fixes the DPI setting in ubuntu).

It wasn't that bad. Just seemed to be a little too big lik the statusbar and such. And yeah thats what i did

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Oh yeah you said no sound but sound worked for me. 4got how i turned up the volume though. The option seemed to disappear...

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Very cool. Downloading now on my slow arse DSL. Will update this post with any comments.

Much man love Hashcode!

Edit: ok, back on sgt7.

I found the OS to have great potential and many of the ideas for the interface seem cool. That being said- i felt really far away from the core system and disappointed that i cant even find a basic terminal app so without ssh'ing from my pc.. As many people have said on these forums the biggest thing missing is some kind of settings program.

This REALLY DOES have potential though. I'm sure once the port-a-thon slows down and everybody has the hardware working ubuntu will show us a bit more (i hope!).

Thanks again Hashcode! Great work so far. I look forward to seeing your AND ubuntu's updates.

And to the common man (like myself, i guess lol):
Don't crap your pants on the install. It takes an eternity to extract the tarball.

--
Sent from my Kindle Fire 2, CM 10.1

Last edited:

iammclovin804

Jan 25, 2010
Beaufort, SC
This is an excellent design and the fluidity of the OS this early on is amazing. I'm looking forward to later on when there's more development. I might try porting this to my galaxy exhibit lol. Excellent work hashcode.

nFiniti

Jun 14, 2007
Albuquerque
Thanks Hashcode, Just hope T Mobile GS3 gets this going as well so I can have it on both. If not I'm gonna get myself a Nexus 4. Just looks awesome.

wakko222

Jan 18, 2013
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22
I must be doing something wrong.

This boots, but I just get the front screen with "Search" a "Mail" icon, "Sound" icon, "WiFi" icon, "TIME", then a big circle with "14 tweets received." It doesn't respond to touch and there is no login screen.

I installed the phablet zip then the otter zip.
I wiped all cache's, data, system, internal storage, and did a data format.

Last edited:

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
try swiping from the left edge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

willieboya

May 3, 2011
With Ubuntu touch, does this mean we can get all Lin ux drivers for proper USB support I.e using BT dongle with powered USB hub? Looking forward to later releases. Keep up the good work :)

powerpoint45

Jan 31, 2012
Dallas
With Ubuntu touch, does this mean we can get all Lin ux drivers for proper USB support I.e using BT dongle with powered USB hub? Looking forward to later releases. Keep up the good work :)

Ubuntu touch uses same kernel so it will be the same

willieboya

May 3, 2011
So in other words its just another rom

mindmajick

Last edited:

mindmajick

Don't get me wrong I am no expert but wat does it offer besides a user interface?

Right now? Not too much... Its a preview

What will it he capable of? EVERYTHING a linux distro can do on the desktop eventually. It'll run android apps, linux apps, most windows apps through wine. You'll be able to write and compile code on it.

I mean.. To answer your question with another question:

What can you do on a full linux distro on your pc that you can't do on android?

Dont try to compare this to firefox os or others... This is NOT a skin. Its a different OS.

--

Reactions: willieboya

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** Work-In-Progress: Ubuntu Touch Preview is just that.. a PREVIEW. Do not complain about missing features, etc. The OS isn't nearly ready for primetime. **

THIS REQUIRES THE 2ND-BOOTLOADER/RECOVERY ALREADY BE INSTALLED ON YOUR DEVICE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE THAT, THEN START HERE:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2100963

Curious as to how the Ubuntu Touch Preview looks? Why not load it on your Kindle Fire 2 and see for yourself.

CHANGES:
    • [02/27] Fixed the UI DPI settings. Needs to re-flash following the instructions below.

Instructions [CHANGED 02/27]:

1. Make a Titanium Backup and/or backup in recovery of your current Android. This preview is fun to play with but not a replacement for something as developed as CM 10.1

2. Download the Kindle Fire2 Mini-Android base for Ubuntu Touch and place it on your device:
    [02/27] http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/ubuntu-phablet/phablet-20130227-otter2.zip
    md5sum: c7d61c7a4c1ecb8f4118e5916ad75417

3. Download the latest Ubuntu Touch Preview Filesystem .zip from Ubuntu:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip

If the above link is broken, use this link for a full listing of the current build files (download the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip .. soon to be raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip):
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/

4. Reboot into recovery.

4a. Wipe system and Factory Reset (wipes data/cache).

IMPORTANT:
    4b. Install the quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip FIRST, and then the phablet-2013xxxx-otter2.zip SECOND.

5. Reboot and Enjoy

NOTE: The preview comes pre-loaded with several users in the login screen and they have data to browse around with. Move to the "Guest" account and tap on area where it tells you to login.

WHAT WORKS:

• Display
    • Touch screen

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:

There's so much that is still being implemented into the Touch version of Ubuntu, that this list could get pretty long.
    • [FIXED 02/27] Need to adjust the GRID_UNIT_PX in /home/phablet/.bashrc to be slightly smaller so that the on-screen keyboard fits correctly.
    • Oddly no WIFI yet. Still troubleshooting.
    • No sound
    • Barely any sensors other than touchscreen work. IE: no rotation, etc. Ubuntu WIP issue.
    • No HD codecs (still being worked on) Ubuntu WIP issue.
    • No screen timeout / auto blank -- becareful when walking away from the device. Need to press the power button to turn the screen off. Ubuntu WIP issue.

RELATED UBUNTU TOUCH LINKS:
    (Some of these describe how to install it on devices -- you can ignore those instructions and follow the above for the Kindle Fire 2)

Ubuntu Touch Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/
    Release Notes: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes
    IRC Channel on freenode.net: #ubuntu-touch
    Don't get me wrong I am no expert but wat does it offer besides a user interface?

Right now? Not too much... Its a preview

What will it he capable of? EVERYTHING a linux distro can do on the desktop eventually. It'll run android apps, linux apps, most windows apps through wine. You'll be able to write and compile code on it.

I mean.. To answer your question with another question:

What can you do on a full linux distro on your pc that you can't do on android?

Dont try to compare this to firefox os or others... This is NOT a skin. Its a different OS.

--
    Sounds a bit better when explained lol. I take it their will be a custom kernel to reduce the amount of stuff we can't do, obviously it will take time as every good thing does.

Yes. Definitely will take time. The kernel used IS the CyanogenMod kernel.. But A LOT of options were enabled that usually aren't used with android.

The android kernel and Linux kernel are one and the same, but the android kernel has a lot of features not enabled (since the android is really doesn't use them)

I'm confident in or developers ability to get the hardware working properly... Hopefully we will see in a few weeks if Canonical will come through. They really need to prove themselves to me although there is a lot of potential if we get REAL linux on our devices. It could he awesome for the whole Linux community by finally bringing Linux mainstream. Plus all the talented XDA developers will have a reason to make linux better.

Edit: btw- someone please correct me if i got things wrong on this statement or the last one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Would love to try this but I can't get it to boot.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using xda premium