[Q] How to change/remove a contact's primary number?

Search This thread

M_Shaaban

Apr 5, 2011
For some reason with many contacts; there is a number set as a "Primary". I didn't choose any of these numbers to be "Primary" and they are the first choice whenever I'm making a call or sending a message. How do I change/remove that? How to make a phone number primary?

I'm on 4.4.2 and Sense 5.5. All my contacts are also Google contacts.

Thanks in advance!

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012
For some reason with many contacts; there is a number set as a "Primary". I didn't choose any of these numbers to be "Primary" and they are the first choice whenever I'm making a call or sending a message. How do I change/remove that? How to make a phone number primary?

I'm on 4.4.2 and Sense 5.5. All my contacts are also Google contacts.

Thanks in advance!

Open the ''people'' app, select a contact then tap and hold the number you want as ''primary'', it will open a contextual menu. Select ''set as primary number''.

Hope this help.

M_Shaaban

Apr 5, 2011
Open the ''people'' app, select a contact then tap and hold the number you want as ''primary'', it will open a contextual menu. Select ''set as primary number''.

Hope this help.

There is no such an option to set as primary. I tap and hold the number and I get only the options in the attached screenshot?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1393841788259.jpg
    1393841788259.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 33

M_Shaaban

Apr 5, 2011
Really strange, look at my menu:

Maybe it's because your contact are saved on the sim and not on the phone?

View attachment 2611914

Very strange, we are running the exact same software.

I have zero contact on the SIM, but all my contacts are Google contacts as well -I save all my contacts to my Google account. Maybe that's the reason? If so, do you have any idea how to change the primary number changed then? Are your contacts also being Google contacts?

alray

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 22, 2012

I have zero contact on the SIM, but all my contacts are Google contacts as well -I save all my contacts to my Google account. Maybe that's the reason? If so, do you have any idea how to change the primary number changed then? Are your contacts also being Google contacts?

my contacts are also google contact. Even some contact are linked to facebook/hotmail accounts and still have the possibility to set a primary number.

Maybe you could create a test contact with different parameters and see if you can make it work..

Reactions: M_Shaaban

M_Shaaban

Apr 5, 2011
my contacts are also google contact. Even some contact are linked to facebook/hotmail accounts and still have the possibility to set a primary number.

Maybe you could create a test contact with different parameters and see if you can make it work..

The same idea came to my mind and it did not work at first -I was coming to post the results, but here you are having the same idea. I rebooted the phone and now the "Set As Primary Number" has appeared with all contacts. Very strange!!!!

skynet06

Mar 19, 2014
"Mark As Default" option disapeared from Andrpod 4.3 ?

Hello,

There is more than 2 hours that I am searching for a solution to this problem.
According to my search, it seems that the option menu to set a default phone number in a contact (if we have several numbers in a contact) has disappeared since android 4.3. That's probably why alray and M_Shaaban don't have the same menu, they have a different android version ?

Could someone confirm this info ?
Is there a way to get back this menu to set a primary or default phone number in a contact with a option menu as "Mark As Default" or "set as primary number"

Sorry in advance for my english, I'm french ;)

sharksfan7

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
I'm on KK 4.4.2, Sense 5.5. I have the option to set a number as primary. Make sure you're selecting a number that isn't the primary number. Long press that entry until the menu pops up. "Set as primary number" should be there. If you bring up the menu on the number that is already the primary, the option will not be there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.