Soft reset in htc desire

Search This thread

awf

May 9, 2008
Strange indeed soft reset works here fine but used it only a few times :cool:

Maybe a hard reset forces to reinstall the o/s correct and solves you

what the hell are you people talking about?

a soft reset is a way to restart the phone using an option in the phone, perhaps an app

so when there's the option to POWER OFF the phone, there is the option to RESTART the phone

That's what they call a soft reset via the power button LOL
You get the option to power off the phone ( which is actually a two way step for a soft reset )

He actually states that this option doen't work for him, because the phone just times out ( or in other words it just freeze) after making the choice in the pop menu...

Despite all work arounds offered here it should work on every Desire
by default :) (within a few seconds)

If it doesn't then a reinstall of the software could be to rule out a software issue in the trouble shooting process.

But before that I should un install every non default software package,
and try the soft reset function to see if the phone powers down in a few seconds.

my reply where ment for d-fens his questions!

Sent from my HTC Desire using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London
You get the option to power off the phone ( which is actually a two way step for a soft reset )

He actually states that this option doen't work for him, because the phone just times out ( or in other words it just freeze) after making the choice in the pop menu...

Despite all work arounds offered here it should work on every Desire
by default :) (within a few seconds)

If it doesn't then a reinstall of the software could be to rule out a software issue in the trouble shooting process.

But before that I should un install every non default software package,
and try the soft reset function to see if the phone powers down in a few seconds.

oh
my
god

can you please stop posting until you learn what a soft reset is, you're talking about a hard reset

as for the guy who's phone doesn't TURN OFF there are 3 other threads discussing THAT problem

now BACK to this problem

A "soft" reset is by far the most common type of reset any PDA user will come across, and is often useful in solving minor problems and strange behaviour. When you perform a soft reset of a PDA, you are essentially causing the device to stop everything it is running, and restart - much like rebooting a PC.

so as i said when there is the option to TURN OFF the phone (where it doesn't magically turn back on again) there is the option to RESTART the phone (where after it turns off, it automatically turns back on again).

we are not talking about re-installing the OS!

read this 3 times before posting

Last edited:

awf

May 9, 2008
You get the option to power off the phone ( which is actually a two way step for a soft re

oh
my
god

can you please stop posting until you learn what a soft reset is, you're talking about a hard reset

funny how some people doesn't read carefully...
My replies where ment to d-fens his question (hence I even used quotes lol) which I admit know it can confuse some, because it differs from the OP his question.

Lol I'm aware of what it is hence learned that back in early 1990...

But it looks like you don't own this particular phone...
For your info by default the only two options (soft reset) currently on this device are:
_ via the phones power button hold this til we get the popup menu with the phone options like power off airplane mode mobile network off etc...
_ Or remove the battery
Both doesn't give the function of a reboot automatically...
At this point in time by default this are the options you have with the Desire...

In case of trouble shooting it can be software related or hardware

my reply was to user d_fens his post is about the first option doesn't work !
this can be related to for example still process running in the background conflicting... or a bad SD card for example....

What you can do after a backup is a hardreset (called factory reset)
Which will restore all software and parameters to it's factory defaults...
(always wise to make a backup first, or in case of automatic backup just copy the SD card content to a safe place)

the device offers two options here:
_ via the phone software
_ or via the phone buttons in this case volume and power button...

That's what I'm talking about related to d-fens his question that the first option freezes his phone...

As for the OP I described now the two options available with a non rooted Desire...

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London
My replies where ment to d-fens his question (hence I even used quotes lol) which I admit know it can confuse some, because it differs from the OP his question.

Lol I'm aware of what it is hence learned that back in early 1990...

But it looks like you don't own this particular phone...
For your info by default the only two options (soft reset) currently on this device are:
_ via the phones power button hold this til we get the popup menu with the phone options like power off airplane mode mobile network off etc...
_ Or remove the battery
Both doesn't give the function of a reboot automatically...
At this point in time by default this are the options you have with the Desire...

In case of trouble shooting it can be software related or hardware

my reply was to user d_fens his post is about the first option doesn't work !
this can be related to for example still process running in the background conflicting... or a bad SD card for example....

What you can do after a backup is a hardreset (called factory reset)
Which will restore all software and parameters to it's factory defaults...
(always wise to make a backup first, or in case of automatic backup just copy the SD card content to a safe place)

the device offers two options here:
_ via the phone software
_ or via the phone buttons in this case volume and power button...

That's what I'm talking about related to d-fens his question that the first option freezes his phone...

As for the OP I described know the two options available with a non rooted Desire...

i'm sorry why do you think i do not have this phone? my signature says so and i have had it since it first came out.

ok, my bad, thanks for describing in essay form what everyone knows

if YOU had read carefully, the OP is wondering if there is an app or something which restarts the phone meaning you do NOT have to take the battery out or press and hold the power button twice.

seeing that you do not have any suggestions, please stay out of this.

awf

May 9, 2008

My replies where ment to d-fens his question (hence I even used quotes lol) which I admit know it can

i'm sorry why do you think i do not have this phone? my signature says so and i have had it since it first came out.

ok, my bad, thanks for describing in essay form what everyone knows

if YOU had read carefully, the OP is wondering if there is an app or something which restarts the phone meaning you do NOT have to take the battery out or press and hold the power button twice.

seeing that you do not have any suggestions, please stay out of this.

In the xda app you don't see a user sign...

I was under the impression because other wise you never questioned my answer about the soft reset method of this device...

If you read carefully again in quotes I replied to a different question of user d-fens
lol you don't need to press the power button twice :)

Why do you think they invented quotes lol
It's the nature of forum comunications...

Anyway since you are here for the sake of the argument have fun...

But I will reply if I can share knowledge to another user not what you seams to think is a correct answer. Hence you missed the quotes and question from d
-fens...

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London
In the xda app you don't see a user sign...

I was under the impression because other wise you never questioned my answer about the soft reset method of this device...

If you read carefully again in quotes I replied to a different question of user d-fens
lol you don't need to press the power button twice :)

Why do you think they invented quotes lol
It's the nature of forum comunications...

Anyway since you are here for the sake of the argument have fun...

But I will reply if I can share knowledge to another user not what you seams to think is a correct answer. Hence you missed the quotes and question from d
-fens...

i wish i knew what you were talking about, if this app you are referring to is the xda app, it is because i have disabled the signature, now that i see how this is relevant..

thanks for sharing your "knowledge", i would never have known that taking a battery out would turn off a phone..

if anyone can suggest an app (which you clearly can't) that will restart the phone then please please do because i have looked everywhere.

and whatever your quotation is, 'DFens' is NOT THE OP so you are answering the WRONG question! now can we PLEASE get back to the REAL/ORIGINAL issue!!!

just in case you took the battery out of your mouse to restart it the original post is:

"""Hello, someone can tell me how to do a soft reset to htc desire, there is some key combination or there is some software to do it?."""

NOTE HE DOES NOT ASK HOW TO TAKE A BATTERY OUT OF A PHONE.

Last edited:

RaptorRVL

Jun 7, 2005
Oh my god, how a thread can go wrong lol.

As far as I know, for an app to reboot the phone you should have root access. At least that's what I can remember from the Hero.

I guess when you talk about 'soft reset' perhaps it's better to talk about 'reboot' from now on. Because that seems to be what the OP is talking about. Rebooting without holding the power button, shut down, and then turn on the phone again.

There are some apps in the market, but require root afaik.

And some people have the problem that the phone doesn't actually turn off when you hold power buttons and select 'power off'. I don't think a reboot application is going to help with that. Only cure is to remove the battery in that case. Or wait some more and hope it shuts down/reboots eventually!

awf

May 9, 2008
@cgrec92
I'm done discussion with you.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about...
Just trolling the forums and via a aggressive impolite capslock shouting manner.
I'm to old to put up with this...

o well enough time wasted on you.

D-fens

Nov 5, 2008
Białystok
I think I know what your trying to get at, the problem is in your phone, unmount your SD card, I suspect its faulty. This will I suspect work. Try it and tell us how you get on. I'm assuming switching the phone off and on again is the same as rebooting or soft reset on Android.

Thanks - after removing SDcard my phone shuts down in a few seconds. When the card is in place and I try to shut down in the top left corner of the screen an icon appears - perhaps SDcard icon but can't be sure couse screen is blurry.
Thanks for all help and sorry for making some of you angry. Sorry OP of this topic for changing a subject abit.
Time to go and buy bigger SDHC. SanDisk 4 gb was mouted in my Desire.

cgrec92

Dec 29, 2009
London
@cgrec92
I'm done discussion with you.
You clearly don't know what you're talking about...
Just trolling the forums and via a aggressive impolite capslock shouting manner.
I'm to old to put up with this...

o well enough time wasted on you.

You've got to be joking, just stop writing back!
All you've done is tell everyone 5 times to take the battery out and turn the phone back on which is NOT what was asked so PLEASE GO AWAY.

I'm glad, in that case, "I'm done discussion with you too".

awf

May 9, 2008
Thanks - after removing SDcard my phone shuts down in a few seconds. When the card is in place and I try to shut down in the top left corner of the screen an icon appears - perhaps SDcard icon but can't be sure couse screen is blurry.
Thanks for all help and sorry for making some of you angry. Sorry OP of this topic for changing a subject abit.
Time to go and buy bigger SDHC. SanDisk 4 gb was mouted in my Desire.

Don't worry happy you solved you're problem :)

Cheers,

D-fens

Nov 5, 2008
Białystok
Hope so it is solved. Today I'm gonna change the card to the one I bought. After the purchase I found some topics about incompatibility of some SDcards. Fingers crossed :)

Regards

Changed my SD card to Lexar 8 GB class 6 but problem with shutting down persist. I have copied all my previous card to the new one using Desire and card reader (copy and paste).

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2010
at first by entering this thread, i want to get somewhat enlightened over this soft reset issue, but unfortunately I get confused even more..
LOL never mind..

I think its safe to say that HTC desire don't have soft reset feature and currently no app that can enable it to do so..

gtp

Jan 30, 2006
Private_Investor, no, it's not safe to say that :) Actually there is a soft reset (or reboot, as you like) combination.

I'm not sure, if it still still unknown to OP but this might help someone else. All you need to do is to press Power+VolDown+TrackPad simultaneously and voila - your HTC Desire is rebooting. I have to say it was really exciting to read this thread from the beginning. I'm afraid now it can be closed.

PS: Personally I would recommend to press Power+TrackPad first and then VolDown shortly (keeping first two pressed, of course), this will prevent the volume level to decrease before the reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: nate51

mercianary

May 30, 2010
Brum
The key combo is NOT a safe restart. The filesystems are not unmounted and corruption may occur. Its the same as a battery pull.

The only safe way I know of is in some custom roms the power off/reboot menu.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

T-Rrexx

Oct 23, 2010
Moscow
No, this combination with trackpad, not with menu button.
But really soft (safely) reboot, afaik, is only on custom roms (you need to hold power button, then change "Reboot" item, then change type of reboot like normal, hot, bootloader or recovery). This feature is present in LeeDrOiD, CM7 etc.

Swyped from my HTC Desire with CM7.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Private_Investor, no, it's not safe to say that :) Actually there is a soft reset (or reboot, as you like) combination.

I'm not sure, if it still still unknown to OP but this might help someone else. All you need to do is to press Power+VolDown+TrackPad simultaneously and voila - your HTC Desire is rebooting. I have to say it was really exciting to read this thread from the beginning. I'm afraid now it can be closed.

PS: Personally I would recommend to press Power+TrackPad first and then VolDown shortly (keeping first two pressed, of course), this will prevent the volume level to decrease before the reboot.