[Q] Force close on ALL applications when keyboard input is requested

Search This thread
This one is fun - I'm getting an FC every time an application requests keyboard input. If I hit the Google search icon on the top left of the home screen, it immediately FCs - that's what I'm using to test.

I downloaded aLogCat to the device via Google Play on my desktop, and ran it. Here is what I believe to be the relevant log section , from tapping the search icon, to re-entering aLogCat.

I believe the ClipboardEx service is causing the issue, possibly as an interference with another app I have installed - but I don't know what, or how to give you guys a list of apps installed without just typing each one.

This issue happened once to me, and a factory restore fixed it - two weeks later, and it's back. I'm not an experience Android guy, though I am a nerd and a developer. Surely this is something fixable. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Code:
I/InputReader(  184): Touch event's action is 0x1 (deviceType=0) [pCnt=1, pending(waiting finished signal)=1, s=]
I/InputDispatcher(  184): Delivering touch to current input target: action: 0x1
I/ActivityManager(  184): START {intent.toShortString} from pid 383
D/PowerManagerService(  184): acquireDVFSLockLocked : type : DVFS_MIN_LIMIT  frequency : 1008000  uid : 1000  pid : 184  tag : ActivityManager
W/ActivityManager(  184): mDVFSLock.acquire()
D/Launcher.HomeFragment(  383): onPause
D/Launcher(  383): onPause
V/TaskCloserActivity( 3234): TaskCloserActivity onReceive()
D/KeyguardViewMediator(  184): setHidden false
D/ActivityManager(  184): Trying to launch applicationName
D/ControlPanelRemoteService( 3246): onDestroy()
D/OpenGLRenderer(  383): Flushing caches (mode 1)
D/dalvikvm( 3157): GC_CONCURRENT freed 259K, 5% free 6784K/7111K, paused 2ms+3ms
D/STATUSBAR-StatusBarManagerService(  184): setSystemUiVisibility(0x0)
D/STATUSBAR-StatusBarManagerService(  184): manageDisableList what=0x0 pkg=WindowManager.LayoutParams
D/libEGL  ( 3157): loaded /vendor/lib/egl/libEGL_POWERVR_SGX540_120.so
D/libEGL  ( 3157): loaded /vendor/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_POWERVR_SGX540_120.so
D/libEGL  ( 3157): loaded /vendor/lib/egl/libGLESv2_POWERVR_SGX540_120.so
D/OpenGLRenderer( 3157): Enabling debug mode 0
E/ClipboardServiceEx( 3157): Had failed to obtaining clipboardEx service.
D/AndroidRuntime( 3157): Shutting down VM
W/dalvikvm( 3157): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40bb01f8)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): java.lang.NullPointerException
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.sec.clipboard.ClipboardExManager.updateData(ClipboardExManager.java:241)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.widget.EditText.onFocusChanged(EditText.java:134)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.View.handleFocusGainInternal(View.java:3727)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.View.requestFocus(View.java:5420)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewGroup.onRequestFocusInDescendants(ViewGroup.java:2154)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewGroup.requestFocus(ViewGroup.java:2110)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewGroup.onRequestFocusInDescendants(ViewGroup.java:2154)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewGroup.requestFocus(ViewGroup.java:2110)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewGroup.requestFocus(ViewGroup.java:2113)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.View.requestFocus(View.java:5370)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewRootImpl.performTraversals(ViewRootImpl.java:1598)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewRootImpl.handleMessage(ViewRootImpl.java:2459)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4514)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:790)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:557)
E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
W/ActivityManager(  184):   Force finishing activity com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/.SearchActivity
E/android.os.Debug(  184): !@Dumpstate > dumpstate -k -t -n -z -d -o /data/log/dumpstate_app_error
I/dumpstate( 3272): begin
W/ActivityManager(  184): Activity pause timeout for ActivityRecord{423f3fe0 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/.SearchActivity}
W/PowerManagerService(  184): Timer 0x7->0x3|0x0
I/PowerManagerService(  184): Ulight 7->3|0
D/PowerManagerService(  184): setLightBrightness : mButtonLight : 0
E/lights  (  184): write_int failed to open /sys/class/sec/sec_touchkey/brightness
I/InputReader(  184): Touch event's action is 0x0 (deviceType=0) [pCnt=1, pending(waiting finished signal)=0, s=0.70 ]
E/lights  (  184): write_int failed to open /sys/class/sec/sec_touchkey/brightness
I/PowerManagerService(  184): Ulight 3->7|0
D/PowerManagerService(  184): setLightBrightness : mButtonLight : 140
I/InputReader(  184): Touch event's action is 0x1 (deviceType=0) [pCnt=1, pending(waiting finished signal)=0, s=]
D/VoldCmdListener(   89): asec list
D/VoldCmdListener(   89): CommandListener::AsecCmd::runCommand -> -- 
I/dumpstate( 3272): done
D/Launcher(  383): onResume
D/STATUSBAR-StatusBarManagerService(  184): manageDisableList what=0x0 pkg=WindowManager.LayoutParams
D/myTest  (  383): [MonthTheme] onResume!!
D/myTest  (  383): firstDayOfWeek = -1
I/power   (  184): *** release_dvfs_lock : lockType : 1 
D/myTest  (  383): [MonthView] updateView.mStartDay: 1
D/DEFERED_APP_VISIBILITY(  184): tweaking closing app
D/PowerManagerService(  184): releaseDVFSLockLocked : all DVFS_MIN_LIMIT are released 
W/ActivityManager(  184): mDVFSLock.release()
D/Launcher.HomeFragment(  383): onResume

Reactions: kmbd and goliatt

wd5gnr

Dec 20, 2010
Houston
My tab crashed and then this same exact thing started happening. The logs mentioned ClipboardServiceEx.

I am rooted, so I started an adb shell and found that /data/clipboard has all the persistent clipboard entries (I love that feature by the way).

I did this:

su
mv /data/clipboard /data/oldclipboard
mkdir /data/clipboard
chmod 775 /data/clipboard
chown system.system /data/clipboard
reboot

This fixed it, although it cleared all my "held" info in the clipboard. A small price to pay. If you really had to, you could probably fish in /data/oldclipboard for it. Of course, now I will go delete oldclipboard.

Hope that helps someone.

dorkmo

Jul 22, 2012
same thing happening to me. but i was prompted to update my device so i clicked yes thinking it would fix the problem now im stuck on the "use google location" page of the setup forms because when i click next i guess theres a keyboard involved so it crashes. only other button is a back arrow which does nothing.

i havent ever messed with this stuff but i guess ill have to find out how to factory reset through the usb cable.

unwanted pain in the butt

wd5gnr

Dec 20, 2010
Houston
same thing happening to me. but i was prompted to update my device so i clicked yes thinking it would fix the problem now im stuck on the "use google location" page of the setup forms because when i click next i guess theres a keyboard involved so it crashes. only other button is a back arrow which does nothing.

i havent ever messed with this stuff but i guess ill have to find out how to factory reset through the usb cable.

unwanted pain in the butt

If you plan to root, just do that, boot into recovery, do an adb shell and clear the clipboard directory.

If you aren't going to install a custom recovery then yeah, wipe it out.

SuzieQueue

May 19, 2012
If you plan to root, just do that, boot into recovery, do an adb shell and clear the clipboard directory.

If you aren't going to install a custom recovery then yeah, wipe it out.

ok newbie here with samsung tabs having same problem, how do you boot into recovery and do an adb shell ? can see above how to clear the clipboard directory and i dont want to factory reset too hard to reload all the crap on ....
thanks

mmuetst

Nov 9, 2012
I had the same problem, I do not want to root my device, but I like to use the standard key board from Sumsung. I send a a-mail to a lot of dutch companies (resellers) to tell them about the problem. I think that Sansung must make a firware update to solve this problem. I what to ask all people who have problems with the keyboard to e-mail Samsung and there reseller to put preasure on Samsung to make a firmware.
I use a work a round, I use a 3e party keyboard untill Samsung makes a firmware update.

wd5gnr

Dec 20, 2010
Houston
Glad it helped. I noticed someone asked earlier for more details.

There are plenty of root tutorials here. As for installing ADB there are a few ways to go and it depends on your PC's OS and if you want to get someone's simplified package or not. Read: http://www.howtogeek.com/125769/how-to-install-and-use-abd-the-android-debug-bridge-utility/ and the comments on that page too. If you google something like "installing ADB" you should find lots of help.

Once you have adb installed and can get to a shell, you should be good with my earlier instructions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My tab crashed and then this same exact thing started happening. The logs mentioned ClipboardServiceEx.

I am rooted, so I started an adb shell and found that /data/clipboard has all the persistent clipboard entries (I love that feature by the way).

I did this:

su
    mv /data/clipboard /data/oldclipboard
    mkdir /data/clipboard
    chmod 775 /data/clipboard
    chown system.system /data/clipboard
    reboot

This fixed it, although it cleared all my "held" info in the clipboard. A small price to pay. If you really had to, you could probably fish in /data/oldclipboard for it. Of course, now I will go delete oldclipboard.

Hope that helps someone.
    This one is fun - I'm getting an FC every time an application requests keyboard input. If I hit the Google search icon on the top left of the home screen, it immediately FCs - that's what I'm using to test.

I downloaded aLogCat to the device via Google Play on my desktop, and ran it. Here is what I believe to be the relevant log section , from tapping the search icon, to re-entering aLogCat.

I believe the ClipboardEx service is causing the issue, possibly as an interference with another app I have installed - but I don't know what, or how to give you guys a list of apps installed without just typing each one.

This issue happened once to me, and a factory restore fixed it - two weeks later, and it's back. I'm not an experience Android guy, though I am a nerd and a developer. Surely this is something fixable. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Code:
    I/InputReader(  184): Touch event's action is 0x1 (deviceType=0) [pCnt=1, pending(waiting finished signal)=1, s=]
    I/ActivityManager(  184): START {intent.toShortString} from pid 383
    D/PowerManagerService(  184): acquireDVFSLockLocked : type : DVFS_MIN_LIMIT  frequency : 1008000  uid : 1000  pid : 184  tag : ActivityManager
    W/ActivityManager(  184): mDVFSLock.acquire()
    D/Launcher.HomeFragment(  383): onPause
    D/Launcher(  383): onPause
    V/TaskCloserActivity( 3234): TaskCloserActivity onReceive()
    D/ActivityManager(  184): Trying to launch applicationName
    D/ControlPanelRemoteService( 3246): onDestroy()
    D/OpenGLRenderer(  383): Flushing caches (mode 1)
    D/dalvikvm( 3157): GC_CONCURRENT freed 259K, 5% free 6784K/7111K, paused 2ms+3ms
    D/libEGL  ( 3157): loaded /vendor/lib/egl/libEGL_POWERVR_SGX540_120.so
    D/libEGL  ( 3157): loaded /vendor/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_POWERVR_SGX540_120.so
    D/libEGL  ( 3157): loaded /vendor/lib/egl/libGLESv2_POWERVR_SGX540_120.so
    D/OpenGLRenderer( 3157): Enabling debug mode 0
    E/ClipboardServiceEx( 3157): Had failed to obtaining clipboardEx service.
    D/AndroidRuntime( 3157): Shutting down VM
    W/dalvikvm( 3157): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40bb01f8)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): java.lang.NullPointerException
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.sec.clipboard.ClipboardExManager.updateData(ClipboardExManager.java:241)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.widget.EditText.onFocusChanged(EditText.java:134)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.View.handleFocusGainInternal(View.java:3727)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.View.requestFocus(View.java:5420)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewGroup.requestFocus(ViewGroup.java:2113)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.View.requestFocus(View.java:5370)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewRootImpl.performTraversals(ViewRootImpl.java:1598)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.view.ViewRootImpl.handleMessage(ViewRootImpl.java:2459)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:4514)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:790)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:557)
    E/AndroidRuntime( 3157): 	at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
    W/ActivityManager(  184):   Force finishing activity com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/.SearchActivity
    E/android.os.Debug(  184): !@Dumpstate > dumpstate -k -t -n -z -d -o /data/log/dumpstate_app_error
    I/dumpstate( 3272): begin
    W/ActivityManager(  184): Activity pause timeout for ActivityRecord{423f3fe0 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/.SearchActivity}
    W/PowerManagerService(  184): Timer 0x7->0x3|0x0
    I/PowerManagerService(  184): Ulight 7->3|0
    D/PowerManagerService(  184): setLightBrightness : mButtonLight : 0
    I/InputReader(  184): Touch event's action is 0x0 (deviceType=0) [pCnt=1, pending(waiting finished signal)=0, s=0.70 ]
    I/PowerManagerService(  184): Ulight 3->7|0
    D/PowerManagerService(  184): setLightBrightness : mButtonLight : 140
    I/InputReader(  184): Touch event's action is 0x1 (deviceType=0) [pCnt=1, pending(waiting finished signal)=0, s=]
    D/VoldCmdListener(   89): asec list
    D/VoldCmdListener(   89): CommandListener::AsecCmd::runCommand -> -- 
    I/dumpstate( 3272): done
    D/Launcher(  383): onResume
    D/myTest  (  383): [MonthTheme] onResume!!
    D/myTest  (  383): firstDayOfWeek = -1
    I/power   (  184): *** release_dvfs_lock : lockType : 1 
    D/myTest  (  383): [MonthView] updateView.mStartDay: 1
    D/DEFERED_APP_VISIBILITY(  184): tweaking closing app
    D/PowerManagerService(  184): releaseDVFSLockLocked : all DVFS_MIN_LIMIT are released 
    W/ActivityManager(  184): mDVFSLock.release()
    D/Launcher.HomeFragment(  383): onResume