[ROM-AOSP] Unofficial CM10.1 (JB 4.2.2) [08/12 ICON DRAG FIX]

Search This thread

timnan

Aug 31, 2008
Hi Hashcode, as I tested, 0401 does increases battery about 10-20%.
I use Kindle 8.9 read novels for most of my spare time and about 1-2 hours for web browsing every day, so in my case, after a full charge I usually can use it for 8 hours (display time) before battery reaches to 10%. With 0401 version, the time extended to more than 9 hours. This is a great improvement. Thanks for your work.

Yes, LTE / RIL is removed currently. I'll probably create a sub-device: jem-lte once I get audio working.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Dude if you get the sound working on this, i will buy one of these. :p

Oh it's my top priority. I work every night on it at least an hour or 2 debugging how stock is connecting to the audio codec in the kernel. And what commands its sending during the setup and anytime volume is adjusted in the stock OS.

I'm using this information to reverse engineering a Jellybean audio userspace driver.

Eventually, it'll all be a beautiful thing.

ddem1

Dec 25, 2010
tapebrain.com
Thanks for the last build Hashcode! I really appreciate all the work you put into this device.

BTW anyone here using Swiftkey Tablet with success? It's the only app I've a problem with and can't figure out why. For example it doesn't even load up in Chrome... any suggestions?

Reborn627

Aug 11, 2011
Goffstown, NH
Thanks for the last build Hashcode! I really appreciate all the work you put into this device.

BTW anyone here using Swiftkey Tablet with success? It's the only app I've a problem with and can't figure out why. For example it doesn't even load up in Chrome... any suggestions?

Running into the same problem. Works intermittently. If you wait, often times it will load but as soon as you try to type it will close again. I thought I had it tackled by danging the screen density with Pimp My ROM but that was short lived. I haven't tried disabling FLOW. That way help but I'm not certain. Flashed back to 8.3.0 this morning so I'm unable to test it out.

Peace,
Ray

jailuis

Oct 3, 2012
jlrcdevteam.blogspot.com
Re: [ROM-AOSP] Unofficial CM10.1 (JB 4.2.2) [04/01 SOME CAMERA FUNCTION]

Hey hash, you think you're getting closer to fix the sound? (I've read the posts, but none of them seem to say how you're doing..) Just a silly question though.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

ChrisFa5

Jun 30, 2010
Capital Region, New York
Hey hash, you think you're getting closer to fix the sound? (I've read the posts, but none of them seem to say how you're doing..) Just a silly question though.

He's working on it.

Oh it's my top priority. I work every night on it at least an hour or 2 debugging how stock is connecting to the audio codec in the kernel. And what commands its sending during the setup and anytime volume is adjusted in the stock OS.

I'm using this information to reverse engineering a Jellybean audio userspace driver.

Reactions: soupmagnet

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
Re: [ROM-AOSP] Unofficial CM10.1 (JB 4.2.2) [04/01 SOME CAMERA FUNCTION]

He is only one man...Have a little patience.

xxxGiantxxx

Mar 18, 2013
[ROM-AOSP] Unofficial CM10.1 (JB 4.2.2)

The sound working is the top priority whenever i consider to buy it. I really appreciate what you've done so far Hashcode. You're awesome Man!

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator

You break a #1 rule of development. NEVER ask when something is going to be finished.

MD

Reactions: soupmagnet

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
I would definitely say "closer".

Right now, I can watch the sound codec get initialized the same way as stock, and I am customizing audio_policy to send the current volume to the audio HAL so that it can be sent to the kernel driver everytime audio is played or a device switch happens (like headphones plugged in).

I'm still probably going to have to take a look at whats going on with the misc kernel driver for the codec chip, as this maybe handling gain settings or power up/down cmds (its a different driver than whats in sound/soc).

Anyway, that's where I'm at.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Born2BeMild

Mar 5, 2011
Thanks for the progress post on sound. About the current update, things just feel, snappier, can't really explain it, but I am loving the progress.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD

jailuis

Oct 3, 2012
jlrcdevteam.blogspot.com
You break a #1 rule of development. NEVER ask when something is going to be finished.

MD

Actually, I never asked when is going to be finished ^^ I just asked how's it going... I can wait a year, but it's easier to wait when you know how's it going on.

Thanks for the answer Hashcode. I got my mind at peace now. This is a question as a future developer (Im studying computer science /engineering hoping to become an android dev someday), is the problem basically caused by implementing the dolby feature? Or they just implemented it in some different way so it would be more secure?

Pinktank

Jan 25, 2011
Hello, Thanks a lot for all the work Hashcode. I know progress questions are hated, and this is not quite one of them, I just wanted to check in to see if there are mega-blocks in front of project completion (like the Atrix 4g where we had to reverse engineer ICS because we never got the source code) or if it will slowly but surely progress into a mostly stable cm10.1 device. I am just looking at purchasing it (vs the nook hd+) and can help developing with graphics if I do.

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Today, I pushed a very basic working audio HAL + config file to github:
https://github.com/KFire-Android/an...mmit/a861c70bf4f2e61eea082485aca3470f0869abb8
https://github.com/KFire-Android/an...mmit/b88fd9a9df6f48fdecba953f48edbf73dd69bb72

There is no volume adjustment implemented yet -- it's currently hard-coded to around 50% (kind of low). The kernel codec driver is designed to require a volume be sent to it every time audio is played and that's not how default Android works. To fix that I'm customizing the default audio_policy manager and having it send volume updates to the audio HAL (when it's changed). Be be another few days to work out the kinks on that.

Input is currently stubbed in with dummy code. That's #2 on the list of fixes.

And, I realize the source I'm working with is based on ICS where the audio devices for input and output could live harmoniously in 1 big enum field. That's been changed in JB so I need to split the input/output device handling. Right now if you tap on search or anything that re-routes input devices, then the output devices change as well and basically audio is borked till you reboot.

As I get time, I'll run a new build and post it. I may wait for basic volume function tho.

bighead2k

Mar 29, 2013
Did get your changes from source, but could not manage to hear anything. Wiht which application did you test it?

Debugging Bluetooth is still a mess. Current Stock ROM uses an old kernel version where BlueZ was used for bluetooth instead of the new broadcom stack ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unofficial CyanogenMod 10.1 for the Kindle Fire HD 8.9

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

BEFORE YOU BEGIN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A 2ND-BOOTLOADER INSTALLED CORRECTLY AND CAN SEE THE BLUE LOGO DURING BOOTUP:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2128175

AUDIO: DO NOT ENABLE "LOCK SCREEN AUDIO" OR "TOUCH SOUNDS" IN SOUNDS MENU. THIS *CAN* BREAK AUDIO.

CyanogenMod Changelog (DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY .ZIP FILES -- FOR OFFICIAL DEVICES ONLY)
    http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/

Download Information:
    [LATEST][08/12] BETA CM10.1 + 3.0.50+ KERNEL
    Mirror 1: http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jem/cm10.1/cm-10.1-20130812-UNOFFICIAL-jem.zip
    Mirror 2: d-h.st/xMG
    md5sum: 6a717e9b085909e6407cab486f585b54

[07/26] BETA CM10.1 + 3.0.50+ KERNEL
    Mirror 1: http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jem/cm10.1/cm-10.1-20130726-UNOFFICIAL-jem.zip
    Mirror 2: d-h.st/4Uc
    md5sum: 41d6331a9492ddc2dd576c6cad71c8f5

[07/17] ALPHA CM10.1 + 3.0.50+ KERNEL
    Mirror 1: http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jem/cm10.1/cm-10.1-20130717-UNOFFICIAL-jem.zip
    Mirror 2: http://d-h.st/XxG
    md5sum: 1a1204e8e74211213fd1414ebca80194

[07/13] ALPHA CM10.1 + 3.0.50+ KERNEL
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jem/cm10.1/cm-10.1-20130713-UNOFFICIAL-jem.zip
    md5sum: 5050e8c31851162a117d87d17a1b6806

Older builds can be found in the same folder on goo.im:
    http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/jem/cm10.1/

Download Google Apps:
    Http://goo.im/gapps
    (For Android 4.2.1/CM 10.1 use the top row gapps)

PLEASE BE SURE TO WIPE SYSTEM & DATA/CACHE (FACTORY RESET) WHEN COMING FROM AMAZON STOCK SOFTWARE.
    (It's the "Wipe" button and then "System" and then "Factory Reset" button in TWRP -- this does NOT clear your sdcard space)

Be aware that the "sdcard" space has changed slightly from ICS to JB4.2. You will find your stock amazon OS files in /data/media/ or "sdcard" on the Stock OS. But CM10.1 will create a sub directory "/data/media/0" and call that "sdcard". And in TWRP it will also use "data/media/0" as "sdcard". This has to do with multi-user settings. So when placing files on the "sdcard" be sure to check both locations before wondering why that file is missing.

CHANGES:
    • [08/12] Includes a Trebuchet patch to fix the screen flip-flop when trying to drag an icon in landscape (by XDA user Wickets^)
    • [08/12] Headphone volume raised (set to 114)
    • [07/26] Fixed occasional drawables issue with background / etc reverting to HDPI graphics
    • [07/26] More Dalvik VM changes
    • [07/17] Dolby: [WIP] Initial work for Dolby support in CM10.1 -- Still troubleshooting audio effect pre-gain handling
    • [07/17] Audio: Fixed MIC initialization -- works perfectly now, everytime.
    • [07/17] Camera: cleaned up DCC file handling for a bit more "Amazon"-like performance.
    • [07/13] USB Vendor ID / Product ID's have been reset to match the Amazon OS / TWRP values. Should help keep Windows drivers from going bonkers.
    • [07/13] Some Audio issues have been resolved. It shouldn't stop when swapping apps, etc. Still low volume currently where Dolby decoder is used.
    • [07/13] CM refreshed which includes several well-known security exploit patches
    • [07/13] PVR/SGX driver updated to 1.9@2291151 fixing several games and Google Earth
    • [07/13] Enabled "dirty region" rendering which helps 2d rendering quite a bit.
    • [07/13] Fixed a Bluetooth issue: stuck in TRANSITION mode till it's enabled/disabled after a reboot. This was causing extra battery drain.
    • [07/13] Some tweaks to Android vm allocations. Still needs work, but less apps are being killed off on the boot.
    • [06/04] CM refresh for changes (no device updates)
    • [05/14] New android OS audio driver. MIC works but may need to be stopped / re-started once (WIP)
    • [05/11] Camera should be working again
    • [05/08] Fixed orientation for HDMI output (requires a /data wipe) -- sound is W.I.P.
    • [05/08] Fixed default landscape orientation (was backwards)
    • [05/08] Fixed power HAL to retain current max CPU freq (original code by twa_priv, patched by Hashcode)
    • [05/07] Raised headphone volume by 10%
    • [04/20] [Thanks to Javabugs] Bluetooth firmware is now renamed correctly so that it loads and should work
    • [04/05] Basic audio function is now working. This means volume adjustable speaker output and headset output. NO input works yet -- still WIP.
    • [04/01] Basic camera function now working, tho after video recording is stopped, camera will FC during thumbnail creation. Video is recorded successfully tho. Panorama crashed out entirely still WIP.
    • [02/25] Updates to CM10.1 (4.2.2_r1)
    • [02/01] First release

FEATURES:
    • 3.0.50 kernel (up from a stock 3.0.21 kernel). This includes updates from Texas Instruments, Google and Kernel.org.
    • PowerVR Graphics Drivers: DDK 1.9@2291151 for Android (Jellybean compatible)
    • Updated bltsville libs to 2.2.2.0 (this is partial screen update code which enables smoother / faster screen draws)
    • Audio
    • Camera
    • Wifi
    • Bluetooth
    • Sensors
    • HWAcceleration
    • HD Codecs for YouTubeHD and Netflix
    • HDMI video out is now correct and work across several resolutions. YMMV

DEVS
    BUILDING THIS ROM:

First, read through Google's Android website about "how to setup a build environment":
    http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

Then you can setup the Kindle Fire Android projects by doing the following:
    (This manifest allows for building Kindle Fire 1st and 2nd gen as well)
    Code:
    mkdir android
    cd android
    # Use main repo for CyanogenMod 10.1
    repo init -u https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android -b cm-10.1
    # Then add the local_manifest.xml for the Kindle Fire
    curl -L -o .repo/local_manifest.xml -O -L https://raw.github.com/KFire-Android/android_local_manifest/cm-10.1/local_manifest.xml
    repo sync
    vendor/cm/get-prebuilts
    . build/envsetup.sh && brunch jem
    So, I'm not really happy with this current build.

Is it more flexible than the Amazon OS? Yes, of course. But is it really "better"? No. Absolutely not.

1. I see tons of IOWAIT for no real reason and it ends up as lag everywhere. It's not the device. It's something in the kernel which is causing it. End result: the device doesn't feel snappy at all. :/ You go to unlock the screen and it sits for a good second or 2. Open an app.. it sits for a second or 2, etc. I'm guessing that there's some driver in the kernel which is hard looping or something.
    2. I hate the current sensor setup. It's all proprietary Amazon files and the gyroscope is backwards causing more issues. To fix it, I need to be able to compile my own sources for the sensors. Which means using open source IIO-based Invensense drivers which I found in the Nexus 10 kernel. So thats: backport them to 3.0 kernel or move the entire device over to 3.4 kernel and use them there. Either way, new sensor driver for the kernel and then I can use the IIO-based Invensense sensor source from AOSP (with a little re-work).
    3. Sound issues are still pretty big at the moment. Background audio clocking issues, odd audio buffer setup or more audio android layer debugging are all needed. And it'll probably be a good week or 2 of more dedicated debugging on the audio system to really root out the "whys" and "hows" of our current audio issues.
    4. Power driver is lacking a ton of features in my opinion. It does exactly what it's supposed to and nothing else. It detects a power source and turns on charging. We're missing the entire OTG implementation.
    5. Camera quality is currently: terrible. I know it's a very cheesy camera built for video chat basically, but it can be better.

How to solve these issues in the best way possible? Still mulling over my options. The 3.4 kernel I'm working on for the 1st gen Kindle Fire is nearly done. So that's a viable option. But, there's a huge amount of back tracking and device setup before it even gets back to the current state. And if we do move to the 3.4 kernel: the camera is instantly broken until I can completely re-write the driver using V4L2 interface in Android -- so that becomes additional work in #5.

All in all, I'm very frustrated at the amount of work that I'm putting into the Fire HD's and the amount of progress they're showing. :/

So I'm venting. :p I'll post later on my any direction changes I'm taking.
    Dude if you get the sound working on this, i will buy one of these. :p

CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES:
    • When long pressing icons in landscape mode to move them, etc the screen will flip upside down for a moment and right itself. This causes the action to be aborted.
    • Rotation selection in games is hit and miss. Some work perfectly and some like to flip the device upside down. Still debugging what is causing this.
    • AUDIO: Any decoder which uses Dolby surround current has a lower volume than the rest of the system (Netflix, Google Movies, etc). It's a WIP.
    • AUDIO: Headset volume still may be lowish. Testing better ways of increasing volume w/o distortion. It's a WIP.
    • 3D Performance: Is only OK. Needs some troubleshooting and perhaps kernel cleanup. Work-In-Progress.
    • Sensors: Testing various sensors, gyro seems 90 degrees off, etc.
    • I don't have an LTE version so this is not enabled in current builds.

CURRENT KNOWN APP/GAME ISSUES:
    • Need For Speed Most Wanted: Crash
    • EZPDFReader: PDF close = Crash
    I'll put out a new build soon with some minor updates:

1. (CM updates obviously)

2. I rebuilt the current KFireHD 8.9 w/o mobile data support and it seems to be much better on the battery (I know there's LTE users out there, and we'll setup a jem-wlan device just for you at some point). I was seeing large amounts of battery usage by telephony type stuff (probably looping).

3. I AM still working on audio fixes, but I decided to take a quick gander at the camera and see if it was an easy fix. Right now it's about 80% from working, so I'll probably do the new build once that's good.

4. And I can probably get HDMI going if I put a little more effort into it. But it seems like I should be spending 100% of my Kindle time on the audio issues... we'll see.