[MOD/Fix]Re-enable back button menu

Search This thread

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Hello! As of the review device of HTC One has a back button to map the menu key and remove the ugly black menu bar on the bottom of the screen. But the retail devices(at least on the germany variant) got that removed or broken. I have modded the Settings.apk of the HTC One to reenable back that option.

Please test as I don't have the device to test it on my own. A feedback would be great :)

attachment.php

Credits to androidpolice.com for the sample image. :good:
Credits to eisteh for testing :)

Instructions:

1. Overwrite the old Settings.apk on /system/app.
2. Delete the dex file located on /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Settings.apk@classes.dex
3. Reboot device.
4. Check if it shows up on the "Display, gestures & buttons" menu on the settings.

Blinkfeed mod to disable/enable blinkfeed coming soon once I get my device.

*Waiting for handtec*

Attachments

• Settings.apk
    6.7 MB · Views: 2,345
  • nexusae0_wm_IMG_1902_thumb.jpg
    nexusae0_wm_IMG_1902_thumb.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 26,883
Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Make sure to backup then delete the original Settings.apk and yeah delete the dex file.

Almost forgot you need to reboot after.

Swoosh82

Jul 23, 2007
Frankfurt am Main
No, didn't work. After replace and delete dex the settings didn't work complete. After reboot the settings are back without the back button option. hmm

deagleone

May 3, 2008
Heilbronx
AW: [MOD/Fix]Re-enable back button menu

partially working...
Mod removes 3dot menu, but longpress did not work

(runningroundnakedwinking)

U have to flash in recovery and wipe cache/dalvik!

amytevad.jpg

8ebunu9u.jpg

e2ezebyj.jpg

Maximus 7 one'ed...

Last edited:
Reactions: ike2903 and Riyal

deagleone

May 3, 2008
Heilbronx

Gimme 20 minutes, i had to test something ....

@Riyal
Great job buddy, mod is fully working if u flash it in recovery!
One little thing to do,

u have to hit the back button ABSOLUTE exactly!

if not.... Kicked by console (he back's u twice^^)

How i can flash a .apk in recovery? Sorry, i'm noob

custom recovery installed?

Edit2:

flash attached .zip in recovery and wipe cache/dalvik...

ALL CREDITS TO RIYAL

one'ed...

Attachments

• remove3DOT.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 628
Last edited:

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Hello guys! Thanks for testing! :D And glad it worked lol! I decompiled again tried looking why it didn't work on Swoosh82 so I didn't get to see the replies at once. Anyways thanks @deagleone for confirming that it's working :) Was about to pull my hair off looking for the problem :D

And to those who are interested in using this to include in their ROM or whatever just go ahead no need to ask permission to me :)

Last edited:

deagleone

May 3, 2008
Heilbronx
Hi Riyal...

i think the Problem is the Kernel, if u replace sys apps using RootExplorer etc. after reboot they are replaced with the old ones...
Flash in recovery did the trick (systemui, framework, etc)

And once more thanks for spending your Hair :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: Riyal

he_stheone64

Aug 1, 2008
Düsseldorf
Good job, very well done. Funny enough HTC has changed the method from 1.26 to 1.27, but old method did not work (but did on full 1.26 ROM). So they obviously had a different approach, before they ultimately removed it. So thx for bringing it back.

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Hi Riyal...

i think the Problem is the Kernel, if u replace sys apps using RootExplorer etc. after reboot they are replaced with the old ones...
Flash in recovery did the trick (systemui, framework, etc)

And once more thanks for spending your Hair :fingers-crossed:

A kernel couldn't do that. And that's weird looks like HTC One has some rollback function on system apps? @.@

Good job, very well done. Funny enough HTC has changed the method from 1.26 to 1.27, but old method did not work (but did on full 1.26 ROM). So they obviously had a different approach, before they ultimately removed it. So thx for bringing it back.

I am not sure about the different versions. What I did was just download mike's ARHD and checked what things I can tinker with it.

superseeder

Jun 19, 2008
Hi Guys
i've installed the mod in the recovery with the zip file.
Now i can't enter the setting anymore. Tried to push the apk manually, no success.
Maybe the problem is, that i use the original O2 firmware.
Hope you can help.

sry for my english :D

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
Hi Guys
i've installed the mod in the recovery with the zip file.
Now i can't enter the setting anymore. Tried to push the apk manually, no success.
Maybe the problem is, that i use the original O2 firmware.
Hope you can help.

sry for my english :D

I am not sure about the firmware versions yet. But the Settings.apk came from mike's ARHD ROM. Perhaps if you guys can provide me with a O2 Settings.apk then I think I can make one for you devices.

superchilpil

Sep 26, 2009
Texas
OnePlus 8 Pro
Nubia Red Magic 6
A kernel couldn't do that. And that's weird looks like HTC One has some rollback function on system apps? @.@

I am not sure about the different versions. What I did was just download mike's ARHD and checked what things I can tinker with it.

It is the kernel, it was this way with my one x
Basically the kernel implements write protection on the system partition, so you write to it and nothing ever sticks. There are work arounds but one is a little risky and the other we just have to wait for kernel source

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Riyal

Dec 16, 2011
Iloilo City
It is the kernel, it was this way with my one x
Basically the kernel implements write protection on the system partition, so you write to it and nothing ever sticks. There are work arounds but one is a little risky and the other we just have to wait for kernel source

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

Ohh ok sorry never had a One Series device yet :p Wonder how they do that. For it to become replaceable but get's restored on boot it needs to store files on ram. But that's not the case. Hmmm HTC One got my interest more :D Can't wait to tinker with it's kernel :victory:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello! As of the review device of HTC One has a back button to map the menu key and remove the ugly black menu bar on the bottom of the screen. But the retail devices(at least on the germany variant) got that removed or broken. I have modded the Settings.apk of the HTC One to reenable back that option.

Please test as I don't have the device to test it on my own. A feedback would be great :)

attachment.php

Credits to androidpolice.com for the sample image. :good:
    Credits to eisteh for testing :)

Instructions:

1. Overwrite the old Settings.apk on /system/app.
    2. Delete the dex file located on /data/dalvik-cache/system@app@Settings.apk@classes.dex
    3. Reboot device.
    4. Check if it shows up on the "Display, gestures & buttons" menu on the settings.

Blinkfeed mod to disable/enable blinkfeed coming soon once I get my device.

*Waiting for handtec*

Gimme 20 minutes, i had to test something ....

@Riyal
    Great job buddy, mod is fully working if u flash it in recovery!
    One little thing to do,

u have to hit the back button ABSOLUTE exactly!

if not.... Kicked by console (he back's u twice^^)

How i can flash a .apk in recovery? Sorry, i'm noob

custom recovery installed?

Edit2:

flash attached .zip in recovery and wipe cache/dalvik...

ALL CREDITS TO RIYAL

one'ed...
    Hello guys! Thanks for testing! :D And glad it worked lol! I decompiled again tried looking why it didn't work on Swoosh82 so I didn't get to see the replies at once. Anyways thanks @deagleone for confirming that it's working :) Was about to pull my hair off looking for the problem :D

And to those who are interested in using this to include in their ROM or whatever just go ahead no need to ask permission to me :)

partially working...
    Mod removes 3dot menu, but longpress did not work

(runningroundnakedwinking)

U have to flash in recovery and wipe cache/dalvik!

amytevad.jpg

8ebunu9u.jpg

e2ezebyj.jpg

Maximus 7 one'ed...
    I've tested the replacement method and it doesn't work for me (O2 Germany Device).