[Q] Rogers Galaxy S3 4G/LTE but I'm stuck on Edge?

Search This thread

Serephral

Oct 5, 2012
Hey guys, I'm using the Galaxy S3 and my current carrier is Rogers. I've always been on 4G in the area that I'm in, and with the countless roms I've installed I've never come across any problems. Today I was trying out some new roms, but when I flashed them, I noticed that it swapped from 4G to E(aka Edge). Even if I flash back to my nandroid backup or even a fresh install if the previous rom I was using, I'm still stuck on Edge. Now even though it says I'm connected to Edge, never mind reduced speed, my internet just doesn't even work at all. For some reason even if I'm connected to wi-fi, no matter what I do it says there's no connection. I've read about flashing modems, which I have tried and it seems I'm doing it wrong? I put it on to my sd, boot in to recovery and flash it, but whenever I do I just go in to an endless boot loop. I've spent the past six hours pulling out my hair and trying to get this fixed but no solution yet, so now I've put my hope in to you guys! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sorry if I can't reply back right away, I'm currently doing night shifts at work and even though it's 9:45am here, it's technically my bed time, so I will get back to you as soon as I can!

Some extra information if it may help - The rom I was using that worked properly was Triune 2, I've played around with a few roms since, but the one that originally swapped my 4g to Edge was Mark of the Dragon 3.0.

smelenchuk

Apr 30, 2011
I can think of two possibilities:

1) Some ROMs will reset your phone's internal network settings to only use specific types of networks (e.g. when I first got my phone, the CM10 build I flashed at the time disabled LTE). You can check this by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, going into "Phone information", and scrolling down to "Set preferred network type"; you'll want one of the LTE settings.

2) Reportedly, your phone's IMEI will sometimes be erased during a ROM update (check this in the Settings -> About phone -> Status menu, or in the same "Phone information" menu as above). Check here if that happened.

Reactions: Serephral

Serephral

Oct 5, 2012
Hey, I gave number 1 a shot and everything was fine, so I took a look at option 2 and my IMEI isn't gone, but it's showing "0". I searched online and it seems like "0" means it's been deleted, so I'm about to give it a go and see if I can get it up and running. Anyways, thanks for the reply! I'll post and update on how everything works out.

*UPDATE* Alright, problem fixed! I'm back at 4G, everything is running smooth and fast! Took a little bit but everything is working fine, and now I know how to fix this problem if it should arise again, thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Serephral

Oct 5, 2012
Hey, I'm back again. Well, I thought the problem was fixed, I was back on 4G all day until a little after I started work at around 10:30pm when my network swapped back to Edge and it's been there since(now 6:57am). My IMEI is still intact as well. I've tried flashing back to stock with odin and injecting the file to see what happens but no luck. Unfortunately I haven't reached the 10 post marker which means I can't ask for help on that part of the forum yet, so here I am in your hands once again, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

smelenchuk

Apr 30, 2011
Hey, I'm back again. Well, I thought the problem was fixed, I was back on 4G all day until a little after I started work at around 10:30pm when my network swapped back to Edge and it's been there since(now 6:57am). My IMEI is still intact as well. I've tried flashing back to stock with odin and injecting the file to see what happens but no luck. Unfortunately I haven't reached the 10 post marker which means I can't ask for help on that part of the forum yet, so here I am in your hands once again, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

Out of curiosity, have you checked the "set preferred network type" setting again?

I've also heard recently that there may be some problems with Rogers APNs in non-standard ROMs, so it might be worth checking your APN settings.

Or, it could be an LTE network outage, unlikely as that seems...

Reactions: Serephral

Serephral

Oct 5, 2012
Yes I have and everything is fine. However, I was looking around at a few things some other people have done, not with the exact problem I have, but similar, I tried something out and it worked. Dial *#197328640#>UMTS>DEBUG SCREEN>PHONE CONTROL>NETWORK CONTROL>BAND SELECTION>LTE BAND PREFERENCE>LTE ALL, let it sit there for about 30 seconds and then reset the phone. Do it again, go in to BAND SELECTION and then choose AUTOMATIC, wait 30 seconds and reboot your phone again. I'm back to 4g and actually, it seems faster than when I originally had 4G, but I think I'm just used to how slow Edge is now :p. Although the other fix got me back to 4G as well, but then it swapped back to Edge so I'll wait for at least 24 hours before I can confirm it completely fixed. Once again thanks for the response! Most helpful forums I've been on!

Last edited:

Serephral

Oct 5, 2012
It hasn't been 24 hours but I thought I'd report back while I'm on my break. I'm still at 4G so things seems to be going well, hopefully it won't go back as it seems like it will stay at 4G. So, unless I'm having troubles again, rather than waiting the 24 hours and posting an update, think of it as a good thing that I don't report anything(or at least I will, since it's my phone :p) Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

ncotton

Dec 22, 2007
Yes I have and everything is fine. However, I was looking around at a few things some other people have done, not with the exact problem I have, but similar, I tried something out and it worked. Dial *#197328640#>UMTS>DEBUG SCREEN>PHONE CONTROL>NETWORK CONTROL>BAND SELECTION>LTE BAND PREFERENCE>LTE ALL, let it sit there for about 30 seconds and then reset the phone. Do it again, go in to BAND SELECTION and then choose AUTOMATIC, wait 30 seconds and reboot your phone again. I'm back to 4g and actually, it seems faster than when I originally had 4G, but I think I'm just used to how slow Edge is now :p. Although the other fix got me back to 4G as well, but then it swapped back to Edge so I'll wait for at least 24 hours before I can confirm it completely fixed. Once again thanks for the response! Most helpful forums I've been on!

I just switched to Fido (uses the same towers as Rogers) and this advice is what got my LTE working.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

joefloater

Jun 3, 2010
windsor
Thanks do much for this, I had the exact same problem after flashing MiuiAndroid and Wicked Sensations. Don't know which one effed it up but it was definitely one of those two. Also, I Don't think it is a placebo effect on the speed increase, cause mine is blazing fast after implementing this fix. You should maybe re-title the thread so others in this situation can find this fix, good find and thanks again!

nevetsgtI9100

Oct 31, 2011
Just want to confirm that this particular code can only be entered from a stock dialer? I I tried entering it from cm10's dialer and it doesn't do anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Stefan_S

Jun 5, 2013
Having this issue

IMEI is at 0 after flash to CM10

Link that the person who was assisting OP is not valid anymore on these forums.

Can anyone still help?

massiveloop

Jul 5, 2013
Norfolk, VA

I am having the same issue, my IMEI is back in place. When I get to the BAND SELECTION it says, "RAT Selection option [next line] is restricted" I have been searching all day to get off EDGE but cant. Any advice with this?

ebubbastew

Jun 17, 2011
Me stuck with edge it's crazy pls someone help us out even got imei back but same issue s edge only and after band section it go's to rat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth
Me stuck with edge it's crazy pls someone help us out even got imei back but same issue s edge only and after band section it go's to rat

There used to be a different method on the forums but all posts involving how to inject imei and then restore data were removed.

loxx2650

Jul 18, 2013
Hey guys, I'm having the same issue here..at first when I flashed it was fine had 4G but today I noticed all I've been getting is edge. This is driving me nutsss

Deathsting_50cal

Jul 18, 2013
Ottawa

2 things that i can think of...

1)Make sure you have the LTE option selected in your Mobile Networks.

2)Take a look at your APN settings for you carrier. Flashing roms sometimes erases these settings.

That's where i would look first...

Cheers

t.s.eliot

Jan 2, 2010

I am having the same issue, my IMEI is back in place. When I get to the BAND SELECTION it says, "RAT Selection option [next line] is restricted" I have been searching all day to get off EDGE but cant. Any advice with this?

Please let me know if you fix this. I'm having the same problem, and playing with LTE band selection doesn't work. When I force the band selection, the phone won't even go into service. The same thing happens with WCDMA.

Apparently, the nvbackup stores more than the IMEI. Even when you replace the IMEI, nobody seems to get data back. Unless, of course, you had a backup. Which, unfortunately, I was not smart enough to do....

Cerhio

Feb 25, 2013
Hey guys, I have the exact same issue as this:
-I flashed CM10.2 from a CM10.1 nightly which wiped my IMEI. I injected the IMEI using NV-items reader/writer.
-Reloaded stock ICS rom, IMEI returned but couldn't get up from EDGE
-Tried using the peoplesarmy's removed IMEI restore tool, didn't do anything

The phone still works, only its on EDGE all the time.

Literally the only solution for me was using my warranty and getting a new phone.

REPEAT: BACKUP YOUR **** OR YOU GOTTA GET A NEW PHONE! :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can think of two possibilities:

1) Some ROMs will reset your phone's internal network settings to only use specific types of networks (e.g. when I first got my phone, the CM10 build I flashed at the time disabled LTE). You can check this by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, going into "Phone information", and scrolling down to "Set preferred network type"; you'll want one of the LTE settings.

2) Reportedly, your phone's IMEI will sometimes be erased during a ROM update (check this in the Settings -> About phone -> Status menu, or in the same "Phone information" menu as above). Check here if that happened.

Out of curiosity, have you checked the "set preferred network type" setting again?

I've also heard recently that there may be some problems with Rogers APNs in non-standard ROMs, so it might be worth checking your APN settings.

Or, it could be an LTE network outage, unlikely as that seems...