Make your own theme with uot kitchen

Search This thread

fatherof4

Apr 4, 2011
Racine,WI
ALL CREDIT FOR UOT KITCHEN GOES TO MENDOZINAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to start this thread because i notice in one thread it says that UOT kitchen will not work with twframework.res file, and in all of the themes threads i repeatedly see people asking "if i flash this can i still keep my gingerbread theme battery" or "will this theme work when flashing over this theme" ect....... I think u get the point. Everyone likes bits and pieces of all the themes but feels like they can't "have their cake and eat it too" Well with UOT Kitchen u can have your own personalized setup unlike anyone else and unique to your device. I am no dev and do not claim to know everything but i will list some instructions to the way i have used UOT Kitchen to make my phone one bad mofo!!!! Now i have a nandroid backup via CWM of several different themes of my KD1 deodexed from whitehawkx.
IF U FOLLOW MY DIRECTIONS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF U MESS UP UR PHONE!!
EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS HAS WORKED FOR ME!!!

U must follow this procedure to cook your framework-res.apk file and then do all the same stuff that you did to your status bar on your framework-res.apk to your status bar in twframework-res.apk file because our phone uses these in conjunction and if you only cook framework-res.apk then all of the changes wont stick! If u know how to open these files and see whats exactly in them then u will know exactly what to change in both twframework.res and framework.res but i'll leave it general for the noobs. Before u upload the twframework.res file to UOT u must rename it to framework.res and then when it is done and u extract the framework.res to push u must rename it back to twframework.res Write down your colors from the first file if u set any so u can apply them to the next file when u cook that one. It doesnt matter which one u do first just make sure u select the same changes for both files and don't forget which zip is which!
Now u need to use root explorer or the like and make a copy of your twframework-res.apk file and framework-res.apk file so u can cook both of them. They are both located in system/framework.
Place the copies of these two files on the desktop of your pc cause u will need to upload them to the kitchen when u are ready to cook.

EDIT: Try leaving twframework-res as twframework-res when uploading to the kitchen to cook. If u error then try changing the name to framework-res and then uploading to the kitchen and cook. Either way when it is done rename back to twframework-res.

1) Go to search engine and search UOT and go to the website for UOT Kitchen

2) Click on kitchen then battery then click the box that says use this mod. U can pick a predone batt. or select custom battery and start selecting and customizing the way u want your battery to look and u can customize what colors u want too!!!!!!!!!

3) Click on icons next and click use this mod again. I have not had any luck changing my emoticons so let me know if anyone has success.

4) Click on status bar and click use this mod. This is where u can really make things look sick. Also remember to the top right there is a button to click to see a preview of your work. ALSO it says that the transparent status bar is only for gingerbread but it has worked for me!!

I have not tried the category GLOWING because im almost possitive it wont work.I also did not use the window animations because launcher pro has those settings in it.
CORRECTION: The window animations do work!!!EDIT: THE GLOWING OPTION DOES WORK!

5) Next click on font pack and click use this mod. Select the font u want for your phone and remember this will change every # and letter that your phone displays to the font that u select.

THE BOOTANIMATIONS CAN ONLY BE CHANGED IF U HAVE A KERNEL THAT SUPPORTS THIS!

6) Now click on file upload and do not change any of the settings on it!!! This is very important! Just click on system files and select the framework.res file and the kitchen will auto upload it. Follow the status bar and wait till the upload finishes.

7)Now click on summary and if all your mods are highlighted green then you are done and ready to cook! Click the button at the bottom that says submit work to kitchen. U will then see your pickup number for your file and u should write this down. Next click the link to go to pickup and once there u just wait for your file to show up and then click on download. The file will come as a CWM flashable file and u can use CWM to flash this file but clean catche first!

HERE COMES THE TRICKY PART SO PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!! U can only flash the zip that contains your cookup of the framework-res file!!!!!!!!! Then reboot and u will see that only some of the changes have taken affect. Now take the zip file that contains the twframework-res file cookup and extract its contents to your desktop. Click on the res file and u will see that the twframework-res file was changed to framework-res so u WILL need to rename it as twframework-res and then place it on the root of your SD card. Use root explorer or the like again and move the file to system/framework and overwrite the existing twframework-res. Now reboot and u are golden!!!!

EDIT: u must rename twframework-res to framework-res and then when its done cooking u extract the .res from the zip and rename it back to twframework-res before pushing it to system/framework.

DO NOT MIX UP THE TWO ZIPS THAT U CREATE!!! U MUST KNOW WHICH ONE CONTAINS THE FRAMEWORK-RES FILE AND WHICH ONE CONTAINS THE FILE THAT WAS ORIGINALLY TWFRAMEWORK-RES AND NEED TO BE RENAMED AS SUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REMEBER FLASH THE ZIP CONTAINING THE FRAMEWORK-RES WITH CWM AND EXTRACT WHAT WAS THE ORIGINAL TWFRAMEWORK-RES FILE OUT OF ITS ZIP AND RENAME IT BACK TO TWFRAMEWORK-RES AND PUSH IT TO THE PHONE MANUALLY!!!!!!

I hope this helps some of u that want to create a theme of your own or just change certain parts of the theme that u already have. If u don't want to change something in your theme u have or on your stock then just dont use that mod in the UOT Kitchen and it will be unaffected!

Much love to all my Android Galaxy S 4g brothers and sisters!!!!!!!!!! I can smell those custom roms coming right around the corner now that drhonk has a phone to rock on. Thanks everyone that has helped make our device what it is and let me know how this works for yall. Im going to figure out how to take screen shots and post my setup cause im excited to show it off!!!!!!!!! PEACE!!!

Well guys i think i finally figured this screenshot stuff out so here u go!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dope huh??!!!!!!!!!!!!

20110605191011.png
20110605193656.png

Last edited:

Jerry D

Mar 5, 2011
Finally got screenshots up on the OP! Tell me what u guys think!!

Lookn' Good!..

Great post btw. There is nothing like a detailed step by step guide. How can I not mess around in the kitchen now. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S 4g on
Whitehawkx- KD1 deodexed
drhonk- Bali kernel v1.4 no u/v
Krylon360 CWM 3 Final
robbbbit- 2.2.1 GBTHEME RC 1
AERODKNG SGS 4g

woodmanskinsfan

Mar 5, 2011
Seattle, WA
Excellent work, fatherof4! One thing, though:

I also did not use the window animations because launcher pro has those settings in it.

These are different than LPP's transitions. Launcher Pro gives you nifty transitions between launcher screens. The window animations give you cool effects when you open and close windows. Here's a YouTube of the Fold effect, for instance.

Thanks for the effort to put proverbial pen to ink! UOT Kitchen is a great bridge to customizing our SGS 4Gs while we patiently wait for custom ROM goodness. :)

Last edited:

makavelicruz

Apr 5, 2011
Boston, MA
I love cooking up my own themes, thanks for this post fatherof4. Very detailed and your screens are off the hook. Just so I understand this a little better, I have to upload both files framework-res and twframework-res under the same option which is upload framework-res.apk under system files?

Last edited:

makavelicruz

Apr 5, 2011
Boston, MA
ok man this isn't working for me when I upload twframework-res.apk to the kitchen. I don't need to delete the tw??? I keep getting erros like with battery mod, it says not correct mod. With the framework-res.apk it works fine, I've cooked battery mods and windows animations just fine, but twframework is giving me issues. Any ideas what could be??

You did explained whatever you do to framework-res.apk, cook up the same to twframework-res.apk. correct?? thanks for your help

fatherof4

Apr 4, 2011
Racine,WI
I am very sorry for not updating sooner! I have found that sometimes it works with twframework.res and some times i get the error. The fix for this is to rename your twframework.res file to framework.res and then when it is done and u extract it from the zip u must rename it back to twframework.res before u paste it over the original twframework.res. Hope this helps u all and again srry for not ivestigating further until now. Remember dont get the zips confused! Remember which one was twframework.res so u rename and paste the right one!

fatherof4

Apr 4, 2011
Racine,WI
Excellent work, fatherof4! One thing, though:

These are different than LPP's transitions. Launcher Pro gives you nifty transitions between launcher screens. The window animations give you cool effects when you open and close windows. Here's a YouTube of the Fold effect, for instance.

Thanks for the effort to put proverbial pen to ink! UOT Kitchen is a great bridge to customizing our SGS 4Gs while we patiently wait for custom ROM goodness. :)
Thanks for the correction bro. I'll b trying this out right away!

makavelicruz

Apr 5, 2011
Boston, MA
I am very sorry for not updating sooner! I have found that sometimes it works with twframework.res and some times i get the error. The fix for this is to rename your twframework.res file to framework.res and then when it is done and u extract it from the zip u must rename it back to twframework.res before u paste it over the original twframework.res. Hope this helps u all and again srry for not ivestigating further until now. Remember dont get the zips confused! Remember which one was twframework.res so u rename and paste the right one!

oh koo thanks you man. Also I am really curious to know as to how you went about in changing the colors of the controls at the top when you pull down the status bar down you get like the controls at the top and the notifications right underneath. Not sure if you know what I'm talking about, but right now they are green for me but I would like to change them to blue bars like you have it on yours. Thanks for your help.

fatherof4

Apr 4, 2011
Racine,WI
oh koo thanks you man. Also I am really curious to know as to how you went about in changing the colors of the controls at the top when you pull down the status bar down you get like the controls at the top and the notifications right underneath. Not sure if you know what I'm talking about, but right now they are green for me but I would like to change them to blue bars like you have it on yours. Thanks for your help.

The way i got those green colors to be blue was to extract it out of the more honeycomb theme by blckphenix and i swapped the files manually. I believe if u use the framework.res from this theme and cook that then u will also have it because UOT cannot change this so i assume it will stay the same. Just make sure u download the right one for the rom you're on or ur gonna have some problems once u push the wrong file back to system/framework.lol Hope this helps u get your setup how u want it!!!

Reactions: dsexton702

Djveneko

Feb 22, 2011
SHTF error

i renamed the twframework to just framework and it gave me this error any solution

lenny hodapp

Sep 19, 2010
Columbus
You don't have to rename it to cook it you just have to rename it back to twframework after you unzip it.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA Premium App

O.k..........This looks so friggin cool and actually pretty easy. Have to try it. Nice write up man :)

Ok, so I got fonts, battery, pulldown for notifications and much more easily. Only issues (for me) is notification symbols didn't change, and the top of the status tray didn't change. I'll have to mess with this more....it was fun ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ALL CREDIT FOR UOT KITCHEN GOES TO MENDOZINAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to start this thread because i notice in one thread it says that UOT kitchen will not work with twframework.res file, and in all of the themes threads i repeatedly see people asking "if i flash this can i still keep my gingerbread theme battery" or "will this theme work when flashing over this theme" ect....... I think u get the point. Everyone likes bits and pieces of all the themes but feels like they can't "have their cake and eat it too" Well with UOT Kitchen u can have your own personalized setup unlike anyone else and unique to your device. I am no dev and do not claim to know everything but i will list some instructions to the way i have used UOT Kitchen to make my phone one bad mofo!!!! Now i have a nandroid backup via CWM of several different themes of my KD1 deodexed from whitehawkx.
    IF U FOLLOW MY DIRECTIONS I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF U MESS UP UR PHONE!!
    EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS HAS WORKED FOR ME!!!

U must follow this procedure to cook your framework-res.apk file and then do all the same stuff that you did to your status bar on your framework-res.apk to your status bar in twframework-res.apk file because our phone uses these in conjunction and if you only cook framework-res.apk then all of the changes wont stick! If u know how to open these files and see whats exactly in them then u will know exactly what to change in both twframework.res and framework.res but i'll leave it general for the noobs. Before u upload the twframework.res file to UOT u must rename it to framework.res and then when it is done and u extract the framework.res to push u must rename it back to twframework.res Write down your colors from the first file if u set any so u can apply them to the next file when u cook that one. It doesnt matter which one u do first just make sure u select the same changes for both files and don't forget which zip is which!
    Now u need to use root explorer or the like and make a copy of your twframework-res.apk file and framework-res.apk file so u can cook both of them. They are both located in system/framework.
    Place the copies of these two files on the desktop of your pc cause u will need to upload them to the kitchen when u are ready to cook.

EDIT: Try leaving twframework-res as twframework-res when uploading to the kitchen to cook. If u error then try changing the name to framework-res and then uploading to the kitchen and cook. Either way when it is done rename back to twframework-res.

1) Go to search engine and search UOT and go to the website for UOT Kitchen

2) Click on kitchen then battery then click the box that says use this mod. U can pick a predone batt. or select custom battery and start selecting and customizing the way u want your battery to look and u can customize what colors u want too!!!!!!!!!

3) Click on icons next and click use this mod again. I have not had any luck changing my emoticons so let me know if anyone has success.

4) Click on status bar and click use this mod. This is where u can really make things look sick. Also remember to the top right there is a button to click to see a preview of your work. ALSO it says that the transparent status bar is only for gingerbread but it has worked for me!!

I have not tried the category GLOWING because im almost possitive it wont work.I also did not use the window animations because launcher pro has those settings in it.
    CORRECTION: The window animations do work!!!EDIT: THE GLOWING OPTION DOES WORK!

5) Next click on font pack and click use this mod. Select the font u want for your phone and remember this will change every # and letter that your phone displays to the font that u select.

THE BOOTANIMATIONS CAN ONLY BE CHANGED IF U HAVE A KERNEL THAT SUPPORTS THIS!

6) Now click on file upload and do not change any of the settings on it!!! This is very important! Just click on system files and select the framework.res file and the kitchen will auto upload it. Follow the status bar and wait till the upload finishes.

7)Now click on summary and if all your mods are highlighted green then you are done and ready to cook! Click the button at the bottom that says submit work to kitchen. U will then see your pickup number for your file and u should write this down. Next click the link to go to pickup and once there u just wait for your file to show up and then click on download. The file will come as a CWM flashable file and u can use CWM to flash this file but clean catche first!

HERE COMES THE TRICKY PART SO PAY ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!! U can only flash the zip that contains your cookup of the framework-res file!!!!!!!!! Then reboot and u will see that only some of the changes have taken affect. Now take the zip file that contains the twframework-res file cookup and extract its contents to your desktop. Click on the res file and u will see that the twframework-res file was changed to framework-res so u WILL need to rename it as twframework-res and then place it on the root of your SD card. Use root explorer or the like again and move the file to system/framework and overwrite the existing twframework-res. Now reboot and u are golden!!!!

EDIT: u must rename twframework-res to framework-res and then when its done cooking u extract the .res from the zip and rename it back to twframework-res before pushing it to system/framework.

DO NOT MIX UP THE TWO ZIPS THAT U CREATE!!! U MUST KNOW WHICH ONE CONTAINS THE FRAMEWORK-RES FILE AND WHICH ONE CONTAINS THE FILE THAT WAS ORIGINALLY TWFRAMEWORK-RES AND NEED TO BE RENAMED AS SUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REMEBER FLASH THE ZIP CONTAINING THE FRAMEWORK-RES WITH CWM AND EXTRACT WHAT WAS THE ORIGINAL TWFRAMEWORK-RES FILE OUT OF ITS ZIP AND RENAME IT BACK TO TWFRAMEWORK-RES AND PUSH IT TO THE PHONE MANUALLY!!!!!!

I hope this helps some of u that want to create a theme of your own or just change certain parts of the theme that u already have. If u don't want to change something in your theme u have or on your stock then just dont use that mod in the UOT Kitchen and it will be unaffected!

Much love to all my Android Galaxy S 4g brothers and sisters!!!!!!!!!! I can smell those custom roms coming right around the corner now that drhonk has a phone to rock on. Thanks everyone that has helped make our device what it is and let me know how this works for yall. Im going to figure out how to take screen shots and post my setup cause im excited to show it off!!!!!!!!! PEACE!!!

Well guys i think i finally figured this screenshot stuff out so here u go!!!!!!!!!!!!!Dope huh??!!!!!!!!!!!!

20110605191011.png
    20110605193656.png
    No matter what I do I can not get my status bar changed. I can get the notification part off the pull down to change but nothing else like the header background, footer, transparency, etc... Has anyone use the kitchen recently to change theirs and if so what method did you use?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

They recently changed the way they do things... In the past when i have used it, it was almost flawless.

But latly its been kinda buggy. I used it the other day and it added the battery to systemui! Lol
    Not only that, but it has also recently been adding in its icon files and such as whatever stock Android has the files named.

Phone with overlaied interfaces have different names for cretin things.

I recomend decompiling your stock systemui and their themed systemui and finding your files.
    You may need to rename a lot of them for them to show up.
    I've had to do that a few times.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App
    You can add glowing to it I added to all 3 of my themes.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA Premium App
    screenshots finally

Finally got screenshots up on the OP! Tell me what u guys think!!

The way i got those green colors to be blue was to extract it out of the more honeycomb theme by blckphenix and i swapped the files manually. I believe if u use the framework.res from this theme and cook that then u will also have it because UOT cannot change this so i assume it will stay the same. Just make sure u download the right one for the rom you're on or ur gonna have some problems once u push the wrong file back to system/framework.lol Hope this helps u get your setup how u want it!!!