[Q] Note 10.1 touchscreen bug or issue whatever it is ? help!

Search This thread

oziverson

Mar 7, 2013
Its been 2 weeks since i bought this tablet. I have a problem since then which is when i use touch screen, while scroolin up and down and stop without drawin my finger, page under my finger vibrates for a few pixels. For example while im using photoshop touch and crop someting to move with my fingers , that cropped piece starts to shake . Does this exist in all devices ? If its not im gonna take the device back to store . Is it a known problem that no one mentions about ? With pen everthing is cool but when I start using my fingers its shaky like 3 4 pixels.

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011

dpersuhn

Jan 26, 2008
The capacitive touchscreen controller in these tablets attempts to provide touch coordinates that are as accurate as possible. when you place a finger on the screen, you arent touching a single point, but rather a number of points, for which the controller has to determine a center point. For capacitive screens, the calculation of this touch point can vary from one iteration of the calculation to the next as a result of subtle capacitance changes due to humidity, contact pressure, etc. if you load any of a number of test programs that output the touch coordinates, you'll see that they jump around by a few pixels.

What this means is that the driver for the touchscreen doesnt include enough deadband around the touchpoint to eliminate positional jitter. This can be corrected in the driver, but whether a software update will resolve it or not remains to be seen. If the jitter isn't acceptable, I would plan to return the tablet within your applicable return window, rather than count on a software update that may or may not address the problem. Samsung has been slow to respond to these kinds of issues, if they address them at all.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marshwc

Dec 23, 2013
San Diego
The capacitive touchscreen controller in these tablets attempts to provide touch coordinates that are as accurate as possible. when you place a finger on the screen, you arent touching a single point, but rather a number of points, for which the controller has to determine a center point. For capacitive screens, the calculation of this touch point can vary from one iteration of the calculation to the next as a result of subtle capacitance changes due to humidity, contact pressure, etc. if you load any of a number of test programs that output the touch coordinates, you'll see that they jump around by a few pixels.

What this means is that the driver for the touchscreen doesnt include enough deadband around the touchpoint to eliminate positional jitter. This can be corrected in the driver, but whether a software update will resolve it or not remains to be seen. If the jitter isn't acceptable, I would plan to return the tablet within your applicable return window, rather than count on a software update that may or may not address the problem. Samsung has been slow to respond to these kinds of issues, if they address them at all.

Very good point. The driver seems to try to be very accurate. One my older tablet (Acer A500) many times when using Chrome it would magnify the area where I touched as it couldn't really tell which link I had pressed. It seems with this tablet that almost never happens, almost as if the driver is trying to be as accurate as the pen. Sorry, my fingers are not that accurate! Maybe its a (incorrect) reaction to the high res of the tablet?

The driver should be averaging the touched area to get the touch point, but it should also give some kind of uncertainty so it doesn't seem unnaturally accurate (pixel width finger).

I should have tested this on the note 12 or the tab pro's at bestbuy last night...

clouds5

Feb 8, 2011

I agree. This is exactly how it looks like. I understand that the touchscreen needs to be as accurate as possible for the pen. But a simple solution or workaround would be to have a "pen mode" for when the pen is out and a finger mode while the pen is docked in the case.
I'm sure there will be a solution for this sooner or later, especially since samsung is releasing more and more devices with wacom digitizers and stylus. And it's more or an annoyance than a deal breaker for me. There aren't any situations where it keeps me from getting my work done or anything. It's just a little annoying sometimes.
And in my experience samsung is actually quite good with fixing things these days.

Last edited:

oziverson

Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for replies! I guess its the driver too. Comparing with apple , yes they dont offer to much of feature but i guess they are best at what they offer and this is the only problem with samsung. Amazing features that we come across via samsung but no perfection.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.