New Nexus 5 owner's experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Nathan-NL

Jun 15, 2013
Hello everyone!

I am new on this Nexus 5 subforum, but maybe a few people recognize me from the Nexus 4 subforum.

My Android adventure started with the HTC ChaCha which was a fun, little phone, but nothing in comparison with the Nexus 4 I got after it. I was very impressed and it convinced me of Android's power and functionality. Now today I started using my new Nexus 5 and I might share some experiences I will have with it.

So far, I'm overall quiet happy with the build quality. I can't say it's perfect and I don't get why the USB charging cable that comes with it by design scrapes the unit, but it's not a very big issue. (Still I don't get why LG designed it like this, you buy a new device and right away it gets damaged by it's own charging cable) The back feels nice, soft and it doesn't feel Samsung cheap. Power button and volume button could have had a bit tighter fit. And the front camera is not perfectly centered. In person the camera and letters on the back are actually pretty nice. But the ring around the camera collects dust immediately.

Photo quality is good enough for a mobile phone for me. For real photos I use my dedicated camera and I would do the same if the pictures were better. (iPhone-like)

Sound is not as bad as I expected. The little speaker actually goes pretty loud, but with a very slight hint of distortion. (Emphasis: very slight, almost non-exist)

I haven't made any calls with it yet, but I will add this later. The call quality of the Nexus 4 is one of the reasons I upgraded. The buzz(!) and overall not very impressive.

Battery life is the other reason and I hope I will not be too disappointed. But the rumors of the Moto X + 1 having a ridiculously large screen pushed me over the edge.

The build quality is not perfect. There are little imperfections, but it's to be expected at this price point and the unit doesn't feel cheap when using it. Vibration feels/sounds a bit odd to me, but it's not bad per se.

Other new Nexus 5 owners are welcome to share their experiences in this thread as well.

If the rumours aren't true, then my preference for the next Nexus phone would be to have HTC as manufacturer. Second choice: Sony.
Nexus phone made of aluminium and with stereo front speakers? Yes, please. But please leave the ultrapixels for the HTC premium phones, lol!

Last edited:

TheCybertronian

Oct 17, 2013
How many people have done "reviews" what's the point personally I think its just more crap cluttering up actual info.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks for the write up. Unfortunately, there's a lot of this stuff floating about and it doesn't really help or add anything to a developers forum.

Hope you enjoy your phone though

Reactions: Nathan-NL

Nathan-NL

Jun 15, 2013
I didn't read these things directly here myself. Developers are users of this phone as well, so I thought it was appropriate.

Obviously this hasn't anything to do with the software/performance of the phone.

TheCybertronian

Oct 17, 2013
It's really irrelevant to anything as it's nothing more than opinion which those who own the phone don't care about. It contributes nothing but more clutter.

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Congratulations on your new Nexus 5, it truly is a great device, but this type of thread is not needed for a device that has been released for a length of time.

Thread Closed.

-El Daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Who would have ever thought a mobile phone review would include 'I'm yet to call anyone yet'
    I don't see this as a review, just my personal experiences with this 'nice' phone I wanted to share.
    Thanks for the write up. Unfortunately, there's a lot of this stuff floating about and it doesn't really help or add anything to a developers forum.

Hope you enjoy your phone though

Congratz on your Nexus5! Happy Flashing!! :)