★★★ guide - tips - tricks ★★★

Search This thread

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
THIS THREAD HAS A LOT THAT IS OUT OF DATE. ANYTHING DEALING WITH GOING BACK TO STOCK OR 2.1/2.2 SHOULD BE QUESTIONED. I HAVE LITTLE INTEREST IN MAINTAINING THIS SINCE IT IS NO LONGER A STICKY/NOT VIEWED AS MUCH. PM ME IF YOU NEED HELP WITH SOMETHING.

EDIT: I am not longer updating this. CHECK HERE FOR UPDATES, if any.

WANT TO HELP ME FOR CREATING THIS POST?

It would be so helpful if as a token of thanks you used MY DROPBOX REFERRAL. By using this, we both get an additional 250 MBs.

I want to thank everyone who has done this so far!

Please see my other thread I created to try and be more noob-friendly towards rooting and flashing. It includes videos and two methods.
It can be found by clicking here.

CHANGE-LOG
Change-Log is now in post #3, but here is a link for convenience. I know a lot of you wanted this at the top... best I could do and still look how I like it.

DISCLAIMER: I am giving shared information. You are the one messing with your phone. While everything on here has been tested by me, that does not mean that you have not done something incorrectly or something has changed since this was written. You are responsible for your phone and your actions. I did not invent crying babies or 180 degree coffee. Do not sue me.

XDA member cvibe88 made some very good videos to show the whole process. I believe by watching these and reading this sticky you should have everything you need to root, backup, flash and restore. I still encourage reading all of Post 1 & 2.

Here is a link to his post with his videos!

ROOT TOPICS

HOW TO ROOT
I used TO provide instructions. Now, I prefer you read my other GUIDE FOR NOOBS. No offense, but if you are asking, this thread is better for you.

HOW TO GET INTO RECOVERY
I hold my phone horizontal when powered off.
Both thumbs on the volume rocker.
Press and hold power and volume buttons.
When the Vibrant logo comes up, release power, keep holding the volume rocker.

** some phones are hardware locked. This means you can possibly not get into either Download Mode (used for ODIN) or stock recovery (used to root and get to clockwork recovery the first time). Those who got the JI6 OTA (over the air) update had this fixed. Some people upgraded from JFD to JI6 by other methods and may still be hardware locked. There is a fix for this listed below, just in case ** I reitterate, most people are NOT HWL.

HOW TO GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE
* Read the noob guide if you are asking why you would need this *
On PC, open ODIN
Connect USB to PC (not phone)
Pull Battery on phone and replace it
Press and hold in both volume buttons
Connect USB to phone, wait at least 3 seconds (still holding volume)
Release when you see the Yellow Triangle

IF I ROOT, WILL I GET OTA UPDATES?
Yes. Rooting will not prevent this, unless you flash a custom ROM that will block receiving the OTA update. Typically, accepting an OTA will make you lose root. Some upgrading to JI6 state they didn't lose root, I did (using ODIN), but gaining root back is so easy.

Got Root? YOU NEED A CUSTOM RECOVERY!
Big props to XDA user Koush for his amazing Rom Manager App. In short, this lets you create system backups for those "oops" moments. It also gives you a directory of ROMs for easy downloading and flashing. Yeah, it is that cool. Please see his post for instructions. After successfully installing, be sure a make a Nandroid Backup of your system before flashing any rom's (see below).

Installation instructions:

1.Download ROM Manager from the Market.
2.Flash Recovery.
3.Choose Vibrant as your phone.
4.Accept the Superuser prompt.
5.On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
6.Watch the backup go!

* Note, do not use the Partition option as this will partition the INTERNAL SD card, yikes *
If you were one of the unlucky ones who DID do this by mistake, you can read this thread to save the day. Thanks farrisizdaman

Free:
chart
Premium ($3.99):
chart

HOW TO MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP *ALWAYS BACKUP BEFORE YOU FLASH A NEW ROM
1 - Open Rom Manager
2 - Click on Flash Clockwork Recovery (you can skip this if you have already flashed the recovery before)
3 - Click on "Reboot Into Recovery"
4 - At the prompt, click "ok" to reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery
5 - If this is your first time, you may be at the stock recovery on the Vibrant. Thats normal. Click on "reinstall packages" (ALSO: Volume up and down navigate, and power is used to select an item).
6 - Now, you are at ClockworkMod's Recovery. Scroll down (volume down), to "backup and restore" and select it (power button).
7 - Click on "backup." It will run it's course. After it finishes just reboot.
8 - You now have something you can always fall back on in case you F up. Thank Koush and all the testers.

* alternative method: Open Rom Manager and navigate to the backup/restore section, and just follow the prompts. I like to rename my backups (date/build/etc). **

HOW TO RESTORE A BACKUP
Follow the steps from above, but select "Restore" instead. They will be sorted by date YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.

** alternative method: Open Rom Manager and navigate to the backup/restore section, and just follow the prompts. **

HOW TO FLASH A CUSTOM ROM
We have some amazing developers for the Vibrant. You REALLY need to try the custom ROMs for our phone that already exist. Here are two of the more popular ones:

** Please note there are always new ROMs coming out, these are just the ones I currently love. Check the Development section often (and don't ask questions there) **

The ROMs listed are only the Eclair versions. There are now Froyo builds available and they are all very tasty (I've tried 3, and they were all very solid builds that could be a daily driver, no FC's). Check the Development section or the site of your favorite developer (likely Eugene or Team Whiskey).

Bionix - #teamwhiskey has made this baby stable and fast. I personally OC with JACs kernel using SetCPU (200/1200/conservative/no profiles/no set on boot). I can say this made my phone so, so much better. Always make a backup so you can revert. If you flash a oc/uv kernel please note a nandroid backup does not restore the stock kernel. I have links in this thread for it, if needed.

Bionix Fusion - sombionix & #teamwhiskey have upped themselves from Bionix with this puppy in my opinion. They removed the TouchWiz and substitued LauncherPro in it's place. I am running this now, and will not switch from it. I think if you can live without TW, you will agree.

Frankin-Twiz Final - by Eugene373. This is another amazing developer/ROM. You are going to have to read about or flash both to decide which you prefer. Eugene seems to maintain multiple ROMs so it might be best to search the Development section for your preferred flavor. Same sentiments here that I said for Bionix.

STEPS TO FLASH A CUSTOM ROM:

- READ THE FIRST POST FROM THE DEVELOPER AND/OR THE CHANGELOG/INSTRUCTIONS

- Download the ROM to your PC (or directly to your phone if you have a good connection). I have done both, straight to the phone is nice because you can just move the file to your internal root /scdard and then flash it (quick method).. I also like downloading to my pc and check the MD5 before mounting my phone and moving it to /sdcard (safe method). Your choice.

** Rom Manager has a new Web Connect where from your PC you can download the file direct to Rom Manager if the developer supports it **

- If you use Rom Manager/Clockwork Recovery there are two methods to actually flash the ROM, again, your choice here:

Method 1: Use Rom Manager (make sure you have flashed clockwork recovery before proceeding, this is not needed if you already have CWR). Select to "Install ROM from SD Card" and the select the .zip file that is the new ROM which should be on your internal root sdcard/. You will then get a prompt where you can check to wipe data (not needed in my opinion as most ROMs do this automatically) and a check box to create a backup (always do this). One reason I like Method 1 best is because it makes renaming your backups easy (I typically rename so I know what the backup is). The system will then reboot into clockwork recovery, start the backup and when that is done automatically flash the ROM. All you need to do is reboot once it is done and BAM, new fast/stable ROM.

Method 2: (The manual way) Once the rom is at the root of sdcard/ use Rom Manager to reboot into clockwork recovery. Create a nandroid backup and then select to install a .zip.. select the rom, let it run its course and reboot.

DID YOU F'UP AND NEED TO GET BACK TO STOCK?
Well, thanks to XDA User justanothercrowd we have a Nandroid Backup to get you back to how the Vibrant shipped (and rooted of course). Hopefully you don't need it, but thank him after reading his post just in case you do!

** Please note this was prior to JI6. If you want stock JI6 search the development section or look in their sticky **

You should also check this thread by almyz125!

DID YOU F'UP AND THINK YOUR PHONE IS BRICKED? MAKE A JIG
jigga-what?
If you can get into download mode you are not bricked. If you are NOT able to get into download mode (but you can see something other than a black screen) that THIS THREAD WILL SAVE YOU PHONE!!!

HOW TO UN-ROOT *ie, sending your phone in for warranty work
The following code can be keyed in Terminal Emulator (could also be done in ADB or deleting the files using Root Explorer). If you do use Terminal, change the keyboard to the stock Android KB prior to opening Terminal. Apparently the backspace on swype does not work in Terminal. Each line should be entered separately. bahnburner gave the instructions in this thread, which you should review first.
su
rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm -r /system/xbin/busybox
rm -r /system/bin/su
reboot
* Alternate Method *
TGA_Gunnman in this thread created a one click root/unroot program. Thank him for his effort.

HOW TO CHECK A MD5SUM
Download HashTab. Install. Download your file. Right click on it. Click on Properties and then go to your new "file hashes" tab. Verify this matches the MD5Sum of the file you downloaded before installing/flashing.

THINGS TO DO WITH ROOT

FLASH A NEW MODEM
New modems can increase signal and data speeds. Here is an incredible list of each. Pay notice to the version of android you are running. CLICK HERE FOR MODEMS

TRY A CUSTOM BOOTUP ANIMATION
tonicacid posted both a great guide for making animations and some killer ones ready to be flashed. Before you read his post, a couple of things to know when changing bootup animations:

1 - almost all custom roms are going to allow this due to the kernel they use, but you may want to double check first.

2 - there are different ways of installing different bootups... some need to be flashed in CWR (like roms and themes) and some you simply take the file and move it to the appropriate folder, typically system/media and replace the bootanimation.zip file in that folder.

3 - follow the advice of the person posting the bootanimation.

Here is a link to tonicacid's thread. I personally am using the Bullet one on Axura 2.1 and I love it.

ALTERNATE BOOTUPS
Now, these may be a bit "too much" for some and they may prefer others like the ones in this thread.

There are plenty of bootups... try the theme section, development section and the Android Theme section.

TRY A NEW KERNEL!
** These are often updated, check the Development Section **
** Please verify what version of android these kernels are for, this list is not updated often **
PLEASE NOTE THAT IF GOING TO STOCK, YOU NEED TO FLASH THE STOCK KERNEL. IF YOU ARE ON FROYO, THE ECLAIR OC KERNELS WILL NOT WORK (CURRENTLY ANYWAY).
JAC has an amazing kernel, and it's super easy to install. Visit his thread. Download it, move it to /sdcard root, go to (in my case) clockwork recovery and install it. Be sure and follow his instructions in case something changes. There are many ROMs to choose from, this is just ONE example of a good kernel that I used when I was on an Eclair build.

Reboot and download SetCPU (there are alternatives, but this is what I know and trust). You can then overclock the processor to 1.2GHz. I am noticing great battery life and my linpack scores (I'm not a fan of benchmarks) jumped from low 8's to 9.6. Quadrant also jumped up to around 950 if I recall correctly. I do not use any lag fixes or anything, just updated the kernel.

If you want to go back to the stock kernel (please note this may not be the current stock kernel - depends on what build you are on), it can be found here. As always, perform a nandroid backup just in case. Nobody on here is responsible for your actions. :)

Also, I should point out that JAC was nice enough to provide a script, so you can overclock without using an app like SetCPU. Your choice. Be sure and thank him for his hard work. It really is a great kernel.

Eugene373 I believe currently has the best 2.2 kernel, CLICK HERE FOR SUPER I/O KERNEL

SetCPU ($2):
chart

WANT THE STOCK ANDROID LAUNCHER FROM THE NEXUS ONE?
Grab the Launcher2.apk file attached below. Move it to system/app and press home. There, stock android. I have to say the 3d launcher is very nice. I still prefer LauncherPro (my fav).

View attachment launcher2.apk MD5 8804735190DEC0F2F42DEDF0DAB8A261

TRY THE CAPTIVATE CAMERA, ON YOUR VIBRANT ** thanks to chaoscentral for creating the flashable .zip **
Thanks to mikey98277 and his post here you can easily flash the Captivate Camera on your Vibrant. I have played with both and it's a matter of preference, but I think most agree the Captivate is a easier/cooler UI. ALSO, it sorts pictures in the correct order!!

REPLACE THE TW CALENDAR WITH STOCK ANDROID CALENDAR
I was not a fan of the TW calendar. I downloaded CM 5.0.8 and took the calendar from his rom and replaced it. Here is a great guide. Note, I use an app called quick boot for fast reboots! The Calendar and CalendarProvider .apk's are attached below.

* After using it, I noticed there is a white bar across the top of the month. I still prefer the stock calendar, but there is your warning. If anyone finds a fix, please let me know! *

View attachment Calendar.apk MD5 4EA76AAFD2911388A9E8DB12490A055B

View attachment CalendarProvider.apk MD5 A750B4D4964581D830F45A08B1A4CE34

USE THE GALAXY I9000 BOOTUP / SHUTDOWN ANIMATIONS & SOUND
** This was used when I had Eclair, not certain this will work for newer builds? Check the thread **
rko did an awesome job with these flashable bootup/shutdown animations (place them on the /sdcard (internal memory) NOT sdcard/sd (external). Be sure and thank him for his work!

CONTROL YOUR STARTUP (PLUS MORE)
I only know and use Autostarts (found here).

Download it. Install it. GO TO MENU > SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > (can't recall the next menu name at the moment) AND ENABLE USB DEBUGGING (it will not work otherwise). Open Autostarts.

Go to the options and hide all of the system apps (no point in messing with those). After that, simply control what market/3rd party apps should be running given the task identified by Startup. You will be surprised what apps appear, for no good reason. Obviously if you are sending a text message you do not want to disable an app like handcent, so use common sense here. Any questions or issues, I would suggest emailing the developer or posting a question in the App section (perhaps there is already a designated Startup thread to ask this question, hint hint).
Autostarts (Approx $1):
chart

RESTORE SETTINGS AFTER WIPING YOUR PHONE *If changing from one ROM to another, be courteous, and wipe.
XDA user SykesAT reminded me that Titanium Backup is a great app for restoring after wiping your system. I do not use it, so I asked him to do a small write up. He obliged, and here it is:

Backup Your Apps and System setting with Titanium Backup

It can backup/restore:

* All the applications you have installed, including protected ones,
* All the data and settings of these applications,
* Most (or all) of your phone's settings and data. (incl. SMS, bookmarks, call log, calendar, launcher, WiFi, etc)
* Market links when restoring apps.
* NOTE: It will not backup the system applications from your ROM. Only their settings will be backed up.

Titanium Backup is available from the market (free version only) or you can DL from the dev's site. There is a premium (donate) version with more features. Please see the Dev's site for more details, instructions and FAQs. Here is a link to his site!
Titanium Backup:
chart

** chichu_9 had a GREAT post with more information/instructions/guides from TB's site, check his post here **

Update, I broke down and got the paid version. It is amazing. It runs MUCH faster and restoring your apps + data could not be simpler. Most Vibrant ROMs will wipe your data (ie apps), so this is a GREAT way to restore your phone back quickly.

Ti Backup (Free):
chart

Ti Backup (Paid Approx $5.81 currently, it's worth it IMO):
chart

DELETE THE BLOAT!
Download Root Explorer (i'm not associated with) and go to System/App to remove a lot of the bloatware that came on the phone. I strongly encourage researching what can & can NOT be removed. ALWAYS make a backup. Alternatively, you can use Titanium Backup (free) to uninstall the apps (I only know Root Explorer, it never fails me). Remember, I am not responsible. It will be some time before we have a custom ROM that removes this crap for us.

Here is a list of apps I recently used to remove a lot of bloat (I kept AllShare and ThinkOffice). After you backup, delete, go to settings > Applications > Menu > Filter > Show All and delete the leftovers from the apps, little traces left behind.

In that thread I also saw you can delete data_tmo/games (73MB) if you do not play/deleted The Sims.

Here is a list from the JFD builds (most of these are seen in future versions):
First off all the Standard Apps:
AccountAndSync.apk/odex -> The app in the drawer, not the settings.
AddToHome.apk/odex
AudioPostcard.apk/odex
Avatar.apk/odex -> The app that launches Avatar in the video player.
BuddiesNow.apk/odex
Dlna.apk/odex [Allshare]
FlashPlugin.apk/odex
GoGo.apk/odex
Infoalarm.apk/odex [Daily Briefing]
KindleStub.apk/odex
Layer-samsung.apk/odex
MediaHub.apk/odex
Memo.apk/odex
Mini Diary.apk/odex
MobiTV.apk/odex
MyAccountStub_4-5-10.apk/odex
Myfiles.apk/odex
Sims3_Samsung_Embed_Launcher.apk/odex
slackerradio.apk/odex
Swype-Tips.apk/odex
Telenav.apk/odex
thinkdroid.apk/odex [ThinkFree Office]
vvm-signed.apk/odex -> T-Mobile Visual Voicemail [can be re-downloaded from the market. for some reason that version is the preferred one.]
VoiceRecorder.apk/odex
VoceDialer.apk/odex
Writeandgo.apk/odex

TouchwizWidgets:
Day.apk/odex
DualClock.apk/odex
SamsungWidget_Calenderclock.apk/odex
SamsungWidget_Feedandupdate.apk/odex
SamsungWidget_stockclock.apk/odex
SamsungWidget_Weatherclock.apk/odex

** If you are having issues with Root Explorer not being able to delete files (not mounting), the please see my post to see if this helps. If it does not, please let me know in the thread. **

TAKE SCREEN SHOTS!
If you have root, the easiest way is to download shootme or drocap2 from the market. You can also use the Android SDK, but I'm going to keep is basic here. Once you have your pic, upload it for all of the community to see!
Shootme:
chart

DISABLE ADS WITHIN APPS! ** On Froyo it seems on websites it creates a URL with the android logo, odd but the ad is blocked nonetheless **
Download AdFree from the market... check for updates and voila, most, if not all apps should be ad-free. Ads help the developers. If you care, rather than block them, try clicking them to support.
AdFree:
chart

HOW TO TETHER ** most custom ROMs and FROYO likely already include this **
There are apps like Barnacle and Wireless Tether, but I would now recommend the Tether app that came with the Galaxy (that was removed by a lot of the carriers). Ibingham was kind enough to post the .apk (JI6 Build click here) (JFD Build click here) and I can tell you it works perfectly. Please note the app is not in the app drawer (his first post has everything you need to know).

Thanks to chui101 for notifying me of the updated version for JI6 builds.

STOP THE BOOTUP / SHUTDOWN AUDIO NOTIFICATIONS!
This thread has it covered: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731059
I deleted these two files using Root Explorer (referenced below) and can attest it works perfectly.

The i9000 Galaxy bootup/shutdown animation/sounds were listed above if you want a new look.

Thanks to XDA Member PhilSlater I know that the File locations are:
Bootup: system/etc/PowerOn.wav
Shutdown: system/media/audio/ui/Shutdown_128.ogg
So Zaduma does not feel insulted here is an alternate method. You can see his post here.

Last edited:

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Continued from post #1

VIBRANT TOPICS

ARE YOU HARDWARE LOCKED? ** Please note this is for JI6, if you are running froyo do not do this **
untermensch has a fix for those who are HWL'd that seems VERY effective. I always heard some who updated from JFD to JI6 had the HWL fixed automatically, but that was not the case for everyone. It appears those who updated OTA got the fix, but most who did ODIN or Kies did NOT get the HWL issue fixed.

Please see his excellent thread by clicking here. Hope this helps.

If you are using froyo, I imagine you could revert back to JI6 and flash this to fix the HWL.

HOW TO USE ODIN
I have the steps listed below (from when JI6 was leaked). For those who prefer a video, this video seems to do a good job of showing it.

TIPS FOR BATTERY LIFE
I have not tried this, but BruceElliot had a great post on his suggestions to improve battery life. You can read it here. I will try and add more as you guys report them to me.

GPS FIX THAT WORKED WONDERS FOR ME!
I have never had an issue with GPS until I flashed ODIN JI6. I could be outside 45 minutes and never get a lock... stock JI6, Eugene's or sombionix's ROMs.. nada. I was PM'd by kdf2833 about a GPS fix for the JI6 (no clue if it works for JFD, I would assume so). He told me to go read THIS POST from digatltoddy. Below is the post if you do not want to leave the thread:

You'll need to get into LBSTestMode by entering *#3214789650# from the dialer. Press Delete GPS Data, this will get rid of the bad GPS information that is probably still stored in your phone. Go to Application Settings and set the Start Mode to 'Cold Start'. Reboot your phone and go outside, run an app like GPS Test and let it lock onto as many birds as it can, once you get a good number (at least 5), go back into your LBSTestMode --> Application Settings and set the Start Mode back to 'Hot Start', reboot and all should be merry.

I had major issues w/ my GPS and was able to put this together with the help of various posts and a deeper understanding of how GPS on these phones actually works. Hope this helps!

Also, it's probably best to run the GPS Test application while you are driving around, let it lock onto as many birds as it can (I'd say let it run for a few minutes, I was able to get 9 the first time) before setting it back to 'Hot Start'. This way it will keep these birds in the list and allow you for a faster lock afterwards.

** If this works for you too, and boy did it for me, please thank digitaltoddy and let me know in this thread - good or bad so I know **

EASY WAY TO GET THE JI6 UPDATE ** Huge thanks to VICosPhi, youneek, samfirmware.com, rhcp0112345,Viralblack and the3dman **
I went back to the stock kernel from JACs oc/uv kernel using this zip file (flash it in in clockwork recovery). I then downloaded this .zip from VICosPhi. and followed the following steps (given by youneek):

** please note that I was on the stock ROM (with alot of mods). If you are running a custom ROM, you may need to go back to stock (I do not know, n/a to me), which would wipe your data.... if you are stock (JFD) however, you will retain all of your settings/data when you update to JI6.

Those who want to go back to stock the file is included in the zip and youneek laid out all the steps in his thread. Below are the steps for people who are stock already (JFD) **

Step 1.) Open Odin.exe and plug a usb cable to your computer that will connect to your phone (do not plug it in to the phone yet, just the computer)
Step 2.) *Added this: Power off your phone before trying to get into download mode, and then....*
Hold down both volume buttons at the same time and while holding them down plug the usb into your phone. You should see a COM message show up in Odin.
Step 3.) Leave all check boxes the way they are. Do NOT check the repartition box.
Step 4.) Click the PIT button and select the 512.pit file
Step 5.) Click the PDA button and select T959UVJI6.tar and then click Start

Your phone will reboot. It will take about 10 minutes at the Galaxy screen, this is normal.

VICosPhi:
[ People with hardware locked vibrants, make sure you have the drivers installed for vibrant on your PC and then connect your phone to pc with USB debugging turned on and open adb and type "adb reboot download"]

** I lost root. I followed these steps again. I have clockwork recovery which you have to keep the update.zip in /sdcard.... well, to root, the file must be named update.zip and in /sdcard, so I renamed the CWR one "cwrupdate.zip"... when my root and reboot was done I went back and renamed the cwrupdate.zip back to update.zip (afterr I deleted the update.zip file that was used to root). This all may not be necessary, but it worked for me.

I rebooted in clockwork recovery (remember to reinstall packages for this update.zip at the stock recovery to get to CWR) and made a nandroid of stock JI6 so I have this fresh root to come back to. ALWAYS MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP!

QUICKLY REBOOT YOUR PHONE
Sometimes you need to reboot your phone. kizer & Gad13 informed me that you can press and hold the power button for 8-10 seconds and it will reboot. I also use an app called Quick Boot that works very well. Quick Boot does require root access. I have a shortcut on my LauncherPro dock, one press and I can reboot.

BUTTONS - Tap vs. Long Press (LP) Taken from www.androidcentral.com:
Home: Returns to the main home screen. If at the home screen, another tap gives a preview of all home screens.
(LP) = See your most recently used apps (GREAT for multitasking). On JI6 (update from Oct 2010) you also can see the Task Manager.

Back: Takes you back a level in an app, or back a page in a browser, etc.
(LP) = In your browser, quickly access bookmarks, history and most-visited sites. Thanks, Snapdragon0503! (EDIT: odd, doesn't seem to work for me now)

Menu: Tap this for additional options in an application, or from the home screens.
(LP) = Make the keyboard appear.

Search: Brings up the search function. Could be search within an app, Google search, or universal search of contacts, bookmarks, apps, etc. that are in the phone.
(LP) = Launches voice search.

WANT A NEW LOOK? CHANGE YOUR FONT!
In settings, go to sound and display. Change the "Font Style" is like 8th from the bottom. There are a few freebies, and about 50 for a dollar in the market. If you want to see more available, click on "Get Fonts Online." This will direct you to the Market.

I changed my system to helvetica, and I was amazed at the level it changed the phone.

EDIT: I used to have a thread linked here with 100's of free fonts, but some broke the rules and posted paid fonts so the thread was closed. If anyone starts the initiative to post more free ones, please let me know so I can add a link, thanks!

CHANGE THE DOCK BUTTONS ON TOUCHWIZ!
Open the app drawer, menu, edit, change to customizable. With the app drawer open now, press menu and edit again. You can now replace the two app docks in the middle (dialer and app drawer can't be replaced).

DELETE APPS FROM THE LAUNCHER OF TOUCHWIZ
Open the launcher, menu > view type, change to customizable. Now press Menu again and select Edit. All of the non-system apps will have a red subtraction logo. Thanks to XDA user erikrios and his post for this gem!

QUICKLY ADJUST YOUR BRIGHTNESS
Move your finger left to right across the notification bar. You probably need to cut off auto-brightness though. thanks to soklean (neat!)

NEED TO COPY AND PASTE?
If at a site, and you need to copy some text... click Menu > Select Text > Drag your finger over the text you need to copy. When you release your finger, the selected text is copied to your clipboard. Long press and paste when ready. I agree this is not perfect, but some of us may not even know you could do it. Froyo is coming soon, and with it the ability to easily copy/paste within gmail.

HOW TO CONTROL + F USING THE ANDROID BROWSER
Android makes this very easy when using their browser as well. Simply press Menu when in the browser, go to More, then select "Find on Page." You can then enter the keyword you are looking for and use the directional arrows (to the left of the word) to move from one entry to the next.

CHANGE THE HAPTIC VIBRATION INTENSITY
Love this feature. I often find haptic feedback is too much. To adjust the intensity, from the home screen: Menu > Settings > Sound and Display > Vibration Intensity. As you slide the bar it gives you an idea of the intensity.

TAP CONTACT IMAGE FOR MORE OPTIONS
XDA user jkang29 reminded me of another thing I took for granted. When you are in Contacts, click on the image of the contact for MANY options on how to contact/share with that particular contact. Thanks jkang29!

WANT TO DISABLE SD CARD NOTIFICATIONS?
To cut off the sound, from the home screen: Menu > Settings > Sound and Display > SD Card Notifications. You can uncheck this and never hear that sound again.

CAMERA / VIDEO SECTION

WANT TO ADD THE FRONT FACING CAMERA TO YOUR VIBRANT?
Thanks to siirial and Eugene's ROM you can actually have a working FFC on the Vibrant. It takes a little modification, and you will need to be running a custom ROM from Eugene (Root Needed), but if you want a FFC, this is an awesome mod. I have not done this myself, but please see his thread for everything you need to know (how to get the camera, how to mod the phone, and you can find a link to Eugene's rom).

* If someone can create a video for this mod, please let me know so I can post it for everyone. * Thanks to MTC44 for the suggestion.

PHOTOS IN THE DARK? WANT A PANORAMIC?
You can put the Camera in Night Mode and it will take amazingly good photos in a dark situation. I tried this for the first time at a concert recently. I was amazed. Pull out the tab on the left of the camera screen, go to settings and change Scene Mode to Night. Do some test shots to compare for yourself!

Also, I tried out Panoramic shots for the first time in Alaska. I was amazed at how simple/easy this was. Just like before, just go the settings and change the mode. Then just pan left to right. You can press the camera button again to stop the panoramic... I believe it can take up to 8 shots.

LOCK THE SCREEN WHILE VIEWING VIDEOS OR USING THE CAMERA
XDA user timekillerj just made a thread pointing out how to do this. It was new to me, and a nice feature. Simple press the power button and your screen is locked - helpful so you do not skip a scene by accident. You can see his thread here.

HOW DO YOU ZOOM IN?
XDA user antonio91282 pointed out that you can zoom in by pressing the volume rocker while using the camera. It goes from 1-4x.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN RECODING VIDEO TO SD VS. INTERNAL MEMORY ** No noticable difference **
XDA user wphend00 asked if there were differences between recording video to the SD vs. Internal memory. Here is my post with links to the videos so you can see for yourself. Here is a link to the entire thread so you can see discussion about it, if any.

APP TOPICS

DOWNLOAD NOT SHOWING UP, MAKING YOU REBOOT?
I did not notice this on Eclair, but with the froyo builds most of the time my downloads (especially pictures) do not show in the Gallery unless I do a reboot. IF this was a problem on Eclair I just went to SD Card & Phone Storage an unmounted and mounted my internal memory. Froyo has taken this function away apparently.

I found that this app ScanMedia works like a charm (no permission needed)
chart

COMPARISONS OF THE HOME REPLACEMENT APPS ** AS OF OCT 2010 **
I tried to write a synopsis of the apps that can replace TouchWiz. Please see this thread here and let me know if I missed anything. I strongly encourage new users to try these apps. I prefer LauncherPro - it just seems snappy.

INSTALL THE 2.2 MARKET ON YOUR 2.1 DEVICE ** I had hiccups, just flash a froyo ROM in my opinion **
Paul (a genius for rooting android devices) made a tweet a couple of weeks ago about how to install the 2.2 market on 2.1 devices. You can see his thread here.
XDA user JWhipple made a post with the .apk file and it's really been catching on. You can find his post and the file to download here.

Do not delete your existing market (vending.apk from system/apps) or move it. Just simply download the .apk file from the linked thread, and then open it up with a file manager. It may ask you to install or upgrade, click that, and then accept the prompt about a system app. Voi'la, you have one of the better features of 2.2 Froyo on your phone now.

** Please note this is just the updated market, you will not be able to install Flash on our Vibrants till we have Froyo OS **

Huge thanks to Paul, Liam Haynes and JWhipple. I have done this and everything seems to be working perfectly.

WANT SWYPE WITH VOICE INPUT? ** This may be irrelevant with JI6 rolling out OTA now **
Jr33 made a thread with a version of swype that has the voice input button. It works very well. Just download and install with clockwork recovery. You can find it here. If after installing it you would like to theme it, head over to this thread started by hoey2011. I have done both of these mods, and love it.

WANT THE NFL APP FROM VERIZON?
Mr_Creeper_98 made a post for the updated NFL app that Tnpapadakos posted. This is a must have app if you like the NFL. You can find the post here.

WHERE ARE APPS LOCATED?
System Apps:
Market Apps:
Market Apps (Private):
Downloaded Apps (using browser):

* If you download an app using the browser, you can use Root Explorer to move the app to data/app so the apps are stored on the 1.9GB partition the system uses. Once moved you can click on it to install it.

TRY A HOME REPLACEMENT (ADW or LauncherPro) ** See my guide above for some Home Replacement options **
Go to the market and download either - both are free. Gravis86 started a good thread debating which is better, located here.
ADW:
chart
LP:
chart

This my LP setup on my Vibrant (OLD, much cooler looking now, ha). Notice the docks (these are also scrollable & there are 5 per each desktop screen you have). The Live Wallpaper is Aquarium.
4817679567_97415902d9.jpg

XDA user afive720 had a nice post on how to revert back to TouchWiz (without uninstalling). You can read the thread here for more information.

WHAT WEATHER APP IS THAT?
It is Beautiful Widgets, found here.
BW is approximately $1.92:
chart

WANT TO USE ALLSHARE: PC > PHONE AND VICE/VERSA?
I found this thread to be extremely helpful. I ended up using Windows Media Player and it was too easy. Great app.
XDA User BritCrit has also given some really good information in this thread you may also want to review.

USE AWESOME DROP TO MOVE FILES IF NO CABLES
If you are ever in a bind, or just being lazy you can use this app to move files from a PC to your phone. No hassle, no account setup and it is free. Just go to this site: http://labs.dashwire.com/drop and then enter the 4 digit code when you open the app on your phone. Drag whatever files to the browser on your PC, and voila, it will instantly start showing up on your phone.
chart

REDUCE A PICTURES SIZE BEFORE SHARING IT?
Paul O'Brien tweeted about an app, Image Shrink Lite, that lets you adjust the size and then select the method you want to share (twitter, messenger, gmail, etc). I mention this only because a lot of people get frustrated when they take a pic and try and send it out, but gmail hangs on it (and it eventually ends up a draft email) because it is too large to send timely. Re-size the pics before you email them and you will not have this Fail.
Image Shrink Lite:
chart

METAMORPH - Theme Your Phone!
junkdruggler has a great thread on everything metamorph. Please check it out here and thank him! Metamorph is great for theming your phone, but it can break your market requiring you to login again. I prefer to theme with .zip files flashed in recovery.

MetaMorph Donate ($1):
chart
Free:
chart

** Use Metamorph to theme Swype or your Notification Bar ** (these are old links, there may be better/cooler ones now, search)
Themed Swype - Huge props to hoey2011
Themed Notification Bar (Evo) - Huge props to bahnburner

*ALTERNATIVELY* YOU COULD FLASH THIS .ZIP AND NOT USE METAMORPH (This is what I am currently running, it is spectacular!!).
4940159455_08122084aa.jpg

CONTACTS / DIALER TOPICS

HOW TO ADD UNWANTED CALLS TO REJECT
I was recently being spammed. About 20 calls a day (ANNOYING). After you get an unwanted call, go to the Call Log, long press on the number and then add it to the Reject List. Next time the number calls you will just get a pop-up letting you know.

EDIT YOUR CONTACTS (BIG IMPROVEMENT IMHO)
Please read my guide located here. It was moved to save space. This really cleans up the phone, so I encourage giving it a try!

FIND YOUR CONTACTS FASTER!
When you load Contacts, you will notice the far right has the alphabet running top to bottom. Good news, by simply pressing on the letter you will automatically jump down, instantly.

SMART DIALER!
Pull up your dialer and just start typing the number (or letters will work too, thanks sl0play) out. It filters down your contacts as you type each new digit/letter. Likely, after the area code and first 1 or 2 digits after should be enough. There will be a drop down on the right and a number above it (the # of possible contacts based off what you input). Just press the contact, and the press CALL, genius.

SLIDE CONTACT PIC TO TEXT/CALL
denny_1986 mentioned in this post, that by sliding the contact picture to the left you are sent to the messenger app (with the "to" field completed). If you slide the contact pic to the right, you call the default phone number. Works in both Contacts and Messenger.

KEYBOARD TOPICS

TRY A NEW KEYBOARD!
To switch... simply long press anywhere that you would normally input text (a text message or the search widget). "input method" will pop up, click on this. Now choose the KB you want to try out. If one is not showing up, go to Menu > Settings > Locale and Text and make sure it’s there & checked.

NEED A TRACKBALL? ** Other KB's can/may do this too, you can search this thread for how, I prefer Swype **
In swype, move from the "swype tips" button to the "sym" key. Voila, directional buttons appear + other goodies (see pic).

4818391746_72af05aaf3.jpg

MISC. GUIDES

HOW TO RECONDITION YOUR BATTERY
If your battery seems to drain fast, or if you are changing roms, you might want to try the following to help your battery. Master posted the following instructions (this assumes you have root and clockwork recovery):

1.) Drain your battery to the point it shuts off on it's own..
2.) Plug it in & let it charge over night (While it is still off)
3.) Launch into ClockWork Recovery by holding the "VOL UP", "VOL DOWN", & "Power" release those buttons after you see the second Vibrant screen.
4.) Press "reinstall packages" (It should take you to the Clockwork Mod Recovery screen, If it didn't then press "reinstall packages' again)
5.) Go to "advanced"
6.) Press "Wipe Battery Stats"
7.) Reboot

** I drain my battery to as low as it will go, but not all the way. I also charge it for only about an extra hour max, once it's fully charged. **

HOW TO MOUNT PHONE TO PC
XDA user DaMaDo reminded me Android does not auto-mount like some other phones on the market. When most of us connect the phone, the USB drivers are automatic (use the cable that came with your phone!). If not, there is a guide below to assist. For now, let's assume all is well on the first connection of the Vibrant to the PC. When you connect you will likely get a popup on the PC about installing drivers, great.
Okay, go to the phone's notification bar and pull it down. You will see USB Connected. Click on this, & then click on "Mount."

Shortly after, your computer should pop up automatically TWO devices, the "/SDCARD" (Internal Memory) and "SDCARD/SD" (SD Card). If not, go to My Computer and find the drives you just mounted to the PC.

NEPHRON'S GUIDE FOR ADB, etc (taken from the G1 forums)
This guide helped me a ton. I realize some things may be different, but I could not think of a better starting point. Please read this thread. You should attempt ADB, it's very nice to have.

CONVERT VIDEO FILES ON YOUR PC FOR YOUR PHONE
XDA user TGA_Gunnman did an excellent job putting a thread together for how to convert videos using HandBrake (get it here) and then moving them to your phone. Be sure and thank him if his how to helped you!

HOW TO PROPERLY INSTALL A NEW SD CARD
XDA user techspy posted this question and I had recently done it so I responded. Like always, I'm certain there are people on here who know how to do this better/easier, but this works and is nothing difficult. Here is my post with instructions, and here is the thread for discussion.

HOW TO HIDE FOLDERS
achild made a great post with the instructions. Thank him for his effort on this post!

MISC. QUESTIONS

MY PHONE NUMBER DOES NOT SHOW UNDER SETTINGS?
It has happened to me on the G1, and I recently saw a Vibrant user post this. smerff has an excellent post with what you need to do!

WHAT ARE THOSE FUNKY BARCODES?
These are QR Codes. Download Barcode Scanner from the market. Scan any of these codes I linked. You will be sent to the app in the market. Download, enjoy.

NOTICE LAG? ** I do not use lag fixes so this may be old, please search the development section before creating a thread **
I do not encourage this, but some will want to play with it. There is a great thread on tweaks that can be done to speed up the Galaxy.

I personally think custom ROMs and oc/uv kernels knock out almost any of this issue. If you are stock/non-rooted.. please try a root/custom ROM setup before you give up on the Vibrant. Our developers are amazing.

DOUBLE NOTIFICATIONS?
If you are using a 3rd party app, you may be getting double notifications. For example, I use Handcent for texting (you should try it). First thing you need to do is open the stock Messenger app, go menu > Settings and disable notifications. This is basic, but sometimes it's easy to overlook.

SHOULD I USE A TASK KILLER?
Absolutely not. You have the best OS and one of the best spec'd phones ever. You would be doing more harm than good. If you do have one, uninstall, reboot and let me know what you think! If you have a bad app that is causing you issues, uninstall it, rather than installing a TK.
In addition, even Google at Google I/O 2010 addressed app developers and asked them to no longer include "quit" or "close" as options within their apps. I think Andronica (another great android site) summed it up well with their article, found here.
XDA user iunlock created a thread with some good debate based off this sticky. You can read all the thoughts by clicking here. In short, the overwhelming majority agreed and some have commented on seeing an increase in performance after deleting their task killers.

HOW TO DO A FACTORY RESET!
Rarely should you need to do this (I've never done one), but if you want to, simply press menu and go to settings. Scroll down to Privacy. In there is the option to perform a Factory Reset.

NEED HELP INSTALLING THE DRIVERS ON YOUR PC?
TGAGunnMan started a great thread with links for the drivers. You can view it here.

courtmagician also has a good thread discussing issues with USB Debugging as well. I would suggest reading this thread also.

THREE (3) LIGHTS/SENSORS - SURE THERE IS NO NOTIFICATION LED?
Yeap. I asked myself when I noticed there were 3 items. Two are used for the proximity sensor, the other is the light sensor.
Big props to XDA user gravis86 for answering my query so fast, see his post here.

Last edited:

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
CHANGE-LOG

- Removed link to 100s of free fonts since the thread was deleted (thank you to theotherguy)

- Added cvibe88's videos to the top of the sticky

- Link to Eugene's Super IO kernel
- Link to all of the modems for the Vibrant (thanks scrizz)

- Change the bootup animation

- Make a JIG - save your "bricked" phone

- Deleted how to flash a radio as it was not applicable to our phone (we have a MUCH easier process)
- Clarificatoin on a few things - HWL phone/rooting
- I'll try and add more during my work day.

- Link added to the Intro for noob friendly guide (Includes videos)

- Added the app ScanMedia to App Topics (useful when pics/ringtones/etc do not show after download)
- Deleted some stuff for space needed
- Added larger headings for the sections

- Added a fix for Hardware Locked phones - let us know if this does/does not work.
- Added at the top of the thread how to go from Froyo BACK to Eclair if wanted.
- Removed the old HWL fix I had... it actually was the same thing, but I like my new wording better, ha.
- Deleted the "how to enter safe mode" recommendation given to me
- Moved how to send calls to the Phone/Dialer section.

- Added farrisizdamans thread for those who MISTAKENLY (dont do it!) used the Partition feature in Rom Manager.
- More housekeeping. If you guys see things that need to be updated, PLEASE let me know. This has become more of a task with Froyo rolling out and multiple kernels.

- I went and tried to update/clarify a LOT of the material.
- Added how to send calls to a Reject List (Spam/telemarketers) - Vibrant Topics
- Moved Vibrant Topics to the top of post 2.
- As always, let me know how to improve and what to add.

- Added a video of how to use ODIN (not my video, random find on youtube). Its in Vibrant Topics, post 2.
- Probably going to update to 2.2 tonight... may try and post that later if people are interested.

- BruceElliots post on improving battery life (Vibrant Topics)
- chaoscentral gets credit for the Captivate camera previosly posted (my bust)

- How to enter Safe Mode (Vibrant Topics) - thank you so much patriot1973 for the PM/thread.

- JI6 GPS Fix. I used to pick on people complaining about GPS till I did this. Blew me away. (Vibrant Topics)
- Moved how to install JI6 to Vibrant Topics
- Added steps to take if Root Explorer is not able to mount/delete system files (Delete the Bloat post)
- Added more information on how to use Titanium Backup

- How to flash a custom ROM (Root Topics)
- A fix for hardware locked Vibrants (Vibrant Topics - post 2) Thanks Chui101 and untermensch)

- Comparisons of the Home Replacements (App Topics)

- Updated instructions for Rom Manager
- Updated a lot of posts for JI6 (please PM me if you catch something that needs updating)
- chio101 notified me of the JI6 Mobile AP (Wireless Tethering)
- I flashed Bionix 1.7 tonight with JACs oc kernel. I'll post thoughts later today. I encourage you to try it also!

- How to install the 2.2 Froyo Market on our 2.1 Device (root not needed so it's under App Topics)

- How to flash JI6 (be sure and go back to stock kernel if needed - this is also in the sticky - ctrl+f for "kernel")
- How to recondition your battery (Misc Guides - post 2)
- Task Manager by LP'ing HOME - thanks kuhan

- Added how to install the front facing camera (FFC) thanks to siirial (Camera section - post 2)
- Added panoramic shots to the camera section also. Will try and post an example from Alaska later.
- Updated the OTA/Root topic. It appears many did not lose root with the OTA update. Awesome to hear.

- Added JAC's kernel for oc/uv (Things to do with root)
- Added a link to the NFL app (App Topics)
- Added a link to Swype with Voice Input (App Topics)

- Flashable .zip GPS fix (huge thank you to frankencat) - Root users only

- Trying to get the format done
- Added how to reboot (long press power - thank you kizer and Gad13)
- Added a line about the stock android calendar not being perfect.

- Added the stock calendar .apk's needed to replace crap TW calendar.
- Added how to have a true stock android launcher, with the .apk attached.
- Noted the Captivate camera sorts pics in the correct order (make sure you aren't looking at your old Vibrant folders).
- Added a link to jonnybuenos theme (no metamorph needed) and gave a pic of my setup.
- Added link to list of all ROMs (thanks to almyz125)
- Please PM me suggestion and give feedback on what you want.

- Added how to change fonts (big kudos to those guys!!!)
- Added what to do if your phone # does not show under your settings (rare this would happen, but it does). Misc Q. section.
- Added list of bloat apps that can be removed. (high demand).
- Replace the TW calendar with the calendar from Cyanogens ROM

- Added how to install the Captivate camera on the Vibrant (Things to do with Root section)
- Added the "Will I receive an OTA update if I root" question to the top (this should have been here already, my bad.)
- Added how to get into Stock Recovery (seen a lot of posts on this recently. Hope there is no issue with new phones).

- Removed Barnacle as the suggested Tether app.
- Added the Tether app that came with the Intl Galaxy (removed by carriers).
- Clarified that the Intl Galaxy flashable zips are for the bootup and shutdown (I love them).
- Clarified that in the dialer pressing letters filters results too, not just numbers (thanks sl0play)
- How to put the Camera in Night Mode (amazing photos in the dark, I was impressed. I hate flash photos anyway!).
- Added zaduma's alternate method for removing the startup/shutdown sounds (since he whined so much, haha, jk). Thanks for posting it man.
- Moved the Disabling startup/shutdown sounds under "Things to do With Root" from "Vibrant Topics."

- Added to the App Topics section - how to theme swype and notification bar (both can revert to stock)
- Under Things to do With Root - Use the i9000 boot animation/sound instead (no more pink box)

- Slide contact picture to text/call (thanks denny_1986)

- How to check an MD5Sum (verify the integrity of a downloaded file)
- How to PROPERLY update your radio (please note this is for future reference, as there are no known updated radios)
- How to hide folders (thanks achild)

Last edited:

sigeltek

May 28, 2010
Denver
www.sigelnet.com
nice.. I want helvetica.

Which weather/clock widget is that? Beautiful widgets?

oh and how did you get rid of those ugly numberd dots which let u select homecreens.

Last edited:

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Thanks. Good call about the widget, that is asked a lot when an image is posted, so I added it too. The change in font was awesome. Didn't expect it to have such an impact.

Last edited:

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
nice.. I want helvetica.

Which weather/clock widget is that? Beautiful widgets?

oh and how did you get rid of those ugly numberd dots which let u select homecreens.

Yeah it looks like Beautiful Widgets.. just select the Beautiful Home Smaller instead of Beautiful home and it'll appear like that on the screenshot. And those numbered dots are apart of the launcher alternatives, there are settings in there to get rid of them or customize.

qnzmental

Feb 1, 2009
BUMP

ive read many of these tips but only after hrs of reading.....nice to have them in one place

oh include the GPS fix...that sh*t was great

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
^ thank you. I was trying to hold off in the gps fix just because not everyone has an issue (our has not noticed) and some in that thread were still not getting it fixed. I'm confident the next update from Samsung will address this. please let me know other things that should be included though!

bryon13

Feb 25, 2009
Maybe add (for rooted phones) the app lag fix, or at least a link to it?

Great list! This should be a sticky.

My phone is just so...VIBRANT

jblade1000

Jul 19, 2009
Great thread,i actually pm'd the mod asking about a faq and I did start one on my computer, but you beat me to posting it, and you have pretty much everything I documented. Great job!

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant with Swype!

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Awesome man, appreciate that. There will always be room for more, let me know if I need to add to it! Feels good to be able to do something (albeit very little) for XDA, as much as they did for my g1.

DAKIDD236

Mar 9, 2009
New York, NY
How about something telling people how to use Metamorph, or a direct link to the Metamorph thread. Since we have two themes using it.
How to reboot phone into recovery or download mode.
How to use Odin, or what Odin is.

just some ideas.

Last edited:

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Okay, I have added some new items. I like some of the suggestions, and if they are not added it's probably because I am not comfortable enough with the subject to feel I should be teaching. I would love for others to help chime in... I'll add them to the list and do my best to make sure everyone gets credit for what they add to the list (some people care about this).

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
^ appreciate that man. I actually already have that included. I was debating on adding the removal of the startup/shutdown boot animations too.... i guess it could not hurt, but will be irrelevant once we have a custom ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS THREAD HAS A LOT THAT IS OUT OF DATE. ANYTHING DEALING WITH GOING BACK TO STOCK OR 2.1/2.2 SHOULD BE QUESTIONED. I HAVE LITTLE INTEREST IN MAINTAINING THIS SINCE IT IS NO LONGER A STICKY/NOT VIEWED AS MUCH. PM ME IF YOU NEED HELP WITH SOMETHING.

EDIT: I am not longer updating this. CHECK HERE FOR UPDATES, if any.

WANT TO HELP ME FOR CREATING THIS POST?

It would be so helpful if as a token of thanks you used MY DROPBOX REFERRAL. By using this, we both get an additional 250 MBs.

I want to thank everyone who has done this so far!

Please see my other thread I created to try and be more noob-friendly towards rooting and flashing. It includes videos and two methods.
    It can be found by clicking here.

CHANGE-LOG
    Change-Log is now in post #3, but here is a link for convenience. I know a lot of you wanted this at the top... best I could do and still look how I like it.

DISCLAIMER: I am giving shared information. You are the one messing with your phone. While everything on here has been tested by me, that does not mean that you have not done something incorrectly or something has changed since this was written. You are responsible for your phone and your actions. I did not invent crying babies or 180 degree coffee. Do not sue me.

XDA member cvibe88 made some very good videos to show the whole process. I believe by watching these and reading this sticky you should have everything you need to root, backup, flash and restore. I still encourage reading all of Post 1 & 2.

Here is a link to his post with his videos!

ROOT TOPICS

HOW TO ROOT
    I used TO provide instructions. Now, I prefer you read my other GUIDE FOR NOOBS. No offense, but if you are asking, this thread is better for you.

HOW TO GET INTO RECOVERY
    I hold my phone horizontal when powered off.
    Both thumbs on the volume rocker.
    Press and hold power and volume buttons.
    When the Vibrant logo comes up, release power, keep holding the volume rocker.

** some phones are hardware locked. This means you can possibly not get into either Download Mode (used for ODIN) or stock recovery (used to root and get to clockwork recovery the first time). Those who got the JI6 OTA (over the air) update had this fixed. Some people upgraded from JFD to JI6 by other methods and may still be hardware locked. There is a fix for this listed below, just in case ** I reitterate, most people are NOT HWL.

HOW TO GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE
    * Read the noob guide if you are asking why you would need this *
    On PC, open ODIN
    Connect USB to PC (not phone)
    Pull Battery on phone and replace it
    Press and hold in both volume buttons
    Connect USB to phone, wait at least 3 seconds (still holding volume)
    Release when you see the Yellow Triangle

IF I ROOT, WILL I GET OTA UPDATES?
    Yes. Rooting will not prevent this, unless you flash a custom ROM that will block receiving the OTA update. Typically, accepting an OTA will make you lose root. Some upgrading to JI6 state they didn't lose root, I did (using ODIN), but gaining root back is so easy.

Got Root? YOU NEED A CUSTOM RECOVERY!
    Big props to XDA user Koush for his amazing Rom Manager App. In short, this lets you create system backups for those "oops" moments. It also gives you a directory of ROMs for easy downloading and flashing. Yeah, it is that cool. Please see his post for instructions. After successfully installing, be sure a make a Nandroid Backup of your system before flashing any rom's (see below).

Installation instructions:

1.Download ROM Manager from the Market.
    2.Flash Recovery.
    3.Choose Vibrant as your phone.
    4.Accept the Superuser prompt.
    5.On the very FIRST boot of Clockwork, you may need to manually select "reinstall packages" if Clockwork does not start. You should only ever have to do this once. It will be automatic from then on.
    6.Watch the backup go!

* Note, do not use the Partition option as this will partition the INTERNAL SD card, yikes *
    If you were one of the unlucky ones who DID do this by mistake, you can read this thread to save the day. Thanks farrisizdaman

Free:
    chart
    Premium ($3.99):
    chart

HOW TO MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP *ALWAYS BACKUP BEFORE YOU FLASH A NEW ROM
    1 - Open Rom Manager
    2 - Click on Flash Clockwork Recovery (you can skip this if you have already flashed the recovery before)
    3 - Click on "Reboot Into Recovery"
    4 - At the prompt, click "ok" to reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery
    5 - If this is your first time, you may be at the stock recovery on the Vibrant. Thats normal. Click on "reinstall packages" (ALSO: Volume up and down navigate, and power is used to select an item).
    6 - Now, you are at ClockworkMod's Recovery. Scroll down (volume down), to "backup and restore" and select it (power button).
    7 - Click on "backup." It will run it's course. After it finishes just reboot.
    8 - You now have something you can always fall back on in case you F up. Thank Koush and all the testers.

* alternative method: Open Rom Manager and navigate to the backup/restore section, and just follow the prompts. I like to rename my backups (date/build/etc). **

HOW TO RESTORE A BACKUP
    Follow the steps from above, but select "Restore" instead. They will be sorted by date YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.

** alternative method: Open Rom Manager and navigate to the backup/restore section, and just follow the prompts. **

HOW TO FLASH A CUSTOM ROM
    We have some amazing developers for the Vibrant. You REALLY need to try the custom ROMs for our phone that already exist. Here are two of the more popular ones:

** Please note there are always new ROMs coming out, these are just the ones I currently love. Check the Development section often (and don't ask questions there) **

The ROMs listed are only the Eclair versions. There are now Froyo builds available and they are all very tasty (I've tried 3, and they were all very solid builds that could be a daily driver, no FC's). Check the Development section or the site of your favorite developer (likely Eugene or Team Whiskey).

Bionix - #teamwhiskey has made this baby stable and fast. I personally OC with JACs kernel using SetCPU (200/1200/conservative/no profiles/no set on boot). I can say this made my phone so, so much better. Always make a backup so you can revert. If you flash a oc/uv kernel please note a nandroid backup does not restore the stock kernel. I have links in this thread for it, if needed.

Bionix Fusion - sombionix & #teamwhiskey have upped themselves from Bionix with this puppy in my opinion. They removed the TouchWiz and substitued LauncherPro in it's place. I am running this now, and will not switch from it. I think if you can live without TW, you will agree.

Frankin-Twiz Final - by Eugene373. This is another amazing developer/ROM. You are going to have to read about or flash both to decide which you prefer. Eugene seems to maintain multiple ROMs so it might be best to search the Development section for your preferred flavor. Same sentiments here that I said for Bionix.

STEPS TO FLASH A CUSTOM ROM:

- READ THE FIRST POST FROM THE DEVELOPER AND/OR THE CHANGELOG/INSTRUCTIONS

- Download the ROM to your PC (or directly to your phone if you have a good connection). I have done both, straight to the phone is nice because you can just move the file to your internal root /scdard and then flash it (quick method).. I also like downloading to my pc and check the MD5 before mounting my phone and moving it to /sdcard (safe method). Your choice.

** Rom Manager has a new Web Connect where from your PC you can download the file direct to Rom Manager if the developer supports it **

- If you use Rom Manager/Clockwork Recovery there are two methods to actually flash the ROM, again, your choice here:

Method 1: Use Rom Manager (make sure you have flashed clockwork recovery before proceeding, this is not needed if you already have CWR). Select to "Install ROM from SD Card" and the select the .zip file that is the new ROM which should be on your internal root sdcard/. You will then get a prompt where you can check to wipe data (not needed in my opinion as most ROMs do this automatically) and a check box to create a backup (always do this). One reason I like Method 1 best is because it makes renaming your backups easy (I typically rename so I know what the backup is). The system will then reboot into clockwork recovery, start the backup and when that is done automatically flash the ROM. All you need to do is reboot once it is done and BAM, new fast/stable ROM.

Method 2: (The manual way) Once the rom is at the root of sdcard/ use Rom Manager to reboot into clockwork recovery. Create a nandroid backup and then select to install a .zip.. select the rom, let it run its course and reboot.

DID YOU F'UP AND NEED TO GET BACK TO STOCK?
    Well, thanks to XDA User justanothercrowd we have a Nandroid Backup to get you back to how the Vibrant shipped (and rooted of course). Hopefully you don't need it, but thank him after reading his post just in case you do!

** Please note this was prior to JI6. If you want stock JI6 search the development section or look in their sticky **

You should also check this thread by almyz125!

DID YOU F'UP AND THINK YOUR PHONE IS BRICKED? MAKE A JIG
    jigga-what?
    If you can get into download mode you are not bricked. If you are NOT able to get into download mode (but you can see something other than a black screen) that THIS THREAD WILL SAVE YOU PHONE!!!

HOW TO UN-ROOT *ie, sending your phone in for warranty work
    The following code can be keyed in Terminal Emulator (could also be done in ADB or deleting the files using Root Explorer). If you do use Terminal, change the keyboard to the stock Android KB prior to opening Terminal. Apparently the backspace on swype does not work in Terminal. Each line should be entered separately. bahnburner gave the instructions in this thread, which you should review first.
    su
    rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk
    rm -r /system/xbin/busybox
    rm -r /system/bin/su
    reboot
    * Alternate Method *
    TGA_Gunnman in this thread created a one click root/unroot program. Thank him for his effort.

HOW TO CHECK A MD5SUM
    Download HashTab. Install. Download your file. Right click on it. Click on Properties and then go to your new "file hashes" tab. Verify this matches the MD5Sum of the file you downloaded before installing/flashing.

THINGS TO DO WITH ROOT

FLASH A NEW MODEM
    New modems can increase signal and data speeds. Here is an incredible list of each. Pay notice to the version of android you are running. CLICK HERE FOR MODEMS

TRY A CUSTOM BOOTUP ANIMATION
    tonicacid posted both a great guide for making animations and some killer ones ready to be flashed. Before you read his post, a couple of things to know when changing bootup animations:

1 - almost all custom roms are going to allow this due to the kernel they use, but you may want to double check first.

2 - there are different ways of installing different bootups... some need to be flashed in CWR (like roms and themes) and some you simply take the file and move it to the appropriate folder, typically system/media and replace the bootanimation.zip file in that folder.

3 - follow the advice of the person posting the bootanimation.

Here is a link to tonicacid's thread. I personally am using the Bullet one on Axura 2.1 and I love it.

ALTERNATE BOOTUPS
    Now, these may be a bit "too much" for some and they may prefer others like the ones in this thread.

There are plenty of bootups... try the theme section, development section and the Android Theme section.

TRY A NEW KERNEL!
    ** These are often updated, check the Development Section **
    ** Please verify what version of android these kernels are for, this list is not updated often **
    PLEASE NOTE THAT IF GOING TO STOCK, YOU NEED TO FLASH THE STOCK KERNEL. IF YOU ARE ON FROYO, THE ECLAIR OC KERNELS WILL NOT WORK (CURRENTLY ANYWAY).
    JAC has an amazing kernel, and it's super easy to install. Visit his thread. Download it, move it to /sdcard root, go to (in my case) clockwork recovery and install it. Be sure and follow his instructions in case something changes. There are many ROMs to choose from, this is just ONE example of a good kernel that I used when I was on an Eclair build.

Reboot and download SetCPU (there are alternatives, but this is what I know and trust). You can then overclock the processor to 1.2GHz. I am noticing great battery life and my linpack scores (I'm not a fan of benchmarks) jumped from low 8's to 9.6. Quadrant also jumped up to around 950 if I recall correctly. I do not use any lag fixes or anything, just updated the kernel.

If you want to go back to the stock kernel (please note this may not be the current stock kernel - depends on what build you are on), it can be found here. As always, perform a nandroid backup just in case. Nobody on here is responsible for your actions. :)

Also, I should point out that JAC was nice enough to provide a script, so you can overclock without using an app like SetCPU. Your choice. Be sure and thank him for his hard work. It really is a great kernel.

Eugene373 I believe currently has the best 2.2 kernel, CLICK HERE FOR SUPER I/O KERNEL

SetCPU ($2):
    chart

WANT THE STOCK ANDROID LAUNCHER FROM THE NEXUS ONE?
    Grab the Launcher2.apk file attached below. Move it to system/app and press home. There, stock android. I have to say the 3d launcher is very nice. I still prefer LauncherPro (my fav).

View attachment launcher2.apk MD5 8804735190DEC0F2F42DEDF0DAB8A261

TRY THE CAPTIVATE CAMERA, ON YOUR VIBRANT ** thanks to chaoscentral for creating the flashable .zip **
    Thanks to mikey98277 and his post here you can easily flash the Captivate Camera on your Vibrant. I have played with both and it's a matter of preference, but I think most agree the Captivate is a easier/cooler UI. ALSO, it sorts pictures in the correct order!!

REPLACE THE TW CALENDAR WITH STOCK ANDROID CALENDAR
    I was not a fan of the TW calendar. I downloaded CM 5.0.8 and took the calendar from his rom and replaced it. Here is a great guide. Note, I use an app called quick boot for fast reboots! The Calendar and CalendarProvider .apk's are attached below.

* After using it, I noticed there is a white bar across the top of the month. I still prefer the stock calendar, but there is your warning. If anyone finds a fix, please let me know! *

View attachment Calendar.apk MD5 4EA76AAFD2911388A9E8DB12490A055B

View attachment CalendarProvider.apk MD5 A750B4D4964581D830F45A08B1A4CE34

USE THE GALAXY I9000 BOOTUP / SHUTDOWN ANIMATIONS & SOUND
    ** This was used when I had Eclair, not certain this will work for newer builds? Check the thread **
    rko did an awesome job with these flashable bootup/shutdown animations (place them on the /sdcard (internal memory) NOT sdcard/sd (external). Be sure and thank him for his work!

CONTROL YOUR STARTUP (PLUS MORE)
    I only know and use Autostarts (found here).

Download it. Install it. GO TO MENU > SETTINGS > APPLICATIONS > (can't recall the next menu name at the moment) AND ENABLE USB DEBUGGING (it will not work otherwise). Open Autostarts.

Go to the options and hide all of the system apps (no point in messing with those). After that, simply control what market/3rd party apps should be running given the task identified by Startup. You will be surprised what apps appear, for no good reason. Obviously if you are sending a text message you do not want to disable an app like handcent, so use common sense here. Any questions or issues, I would suggest emailing the developer or posting a question in the App section (perhaps there is already a designated Startup thread to ask this question, hint hint).
    Autostarts (Approx $1):
    chart

RESTORE SETTINGS AFTER WIPING YOUR PHONE *If changing from one ROM to another, be courteous, and wipe.
    XDA user SykesAT reminded me that Titanium Backup is a great app for restoring after wiping your system. I do not use it, so I asked him to do a small write up. He obliged, and here it is:

Backup Your Apps and System setting with Titanium Backup

It can backup/restore:

* All the applications you have installed, including protected ones,
    * All the data and settings of these applications,
    * Most (or all) of your phone's settings and data. (incl. SMS, bookmarks, call log, calendar, launcher, WiFi, etc)
    * Market links when restoring apps.
    * NOTE: It will not backup the system applications from your ROM. Only their settings will be backed up.

Titanium Backup is available from the market (free version only) or you can DL from the dev's site. There is a premium (donate) version with more features. Please see the Dev's site for more details, instructions and FAQs. Here is a link to his site!
    Titanium Backup:
    chart

** chichu_9 had a GREAT post with more information/instructions/guides from TB's site, check his post here **

Update, I broke down and got the paid version. It is amazing. It runs MUCH faster and restoring your apps + data could not be simpler. Most Vibrant ROMs will wipe your data (ie apps), so this is a GREAT way to restore your phone back quickly.

Ti Backup (Free):
    chart

Ti Backup (Paid Approx $5.81 currently, it's worth it IMO):
    chart

DELETE THE BLOAT!
    Download Root Explorer (i'm not associated with) and go to System/App to remove a lot of the bloatware that came on the phone. I strongly encourage researching what can & can NOT be removed. ALWAYS make a backup. Alternatively, you can use Titanium Backup (free) to uninstall the apps (I only know Root Explorer, it never fails me). Remember, I am not responsible. It will be some time before we have a custom ROM that removes this crap for us.

Here is a list of apps I recently used to remove a lot of bloat (I kept AllShare and ThinkOffice). After you backup, delete, go to settings > Applications > Menu > Filter > Show All and delete the leftovers from the apps, little traces left behind.

In that thread I also saw you can delete data_tmo/games (73MB) if you do not play/deleted The Sims.

Here is a list from the JFD builds (most of these are seen in future versions):
    First off all the Standard Apps:
    AccountAndSync.apk/odex -> The app in the drawer, not the settings.
    AddToHome.apk/odex
    AudioPostcard.apk/odex
    Avatar.apk/odex -> The app that launches Avatar in the video player.
    BuddiesNow.apk/odex
    Dlna.apk/odex [Allshare]
    FlashPlugin.apk/odex
    GoGo.apk/odex
    Infoalarm.apk/odex [Daily Briefing]
    KindleStub.apk/odex
    Layer-samsung.apk/odex
    MediaHub.apk/odex
    Memo.apk/odex
    Mini Diary.apk/odex
    MobiTV.apk/odex
    MyAccountStub_4-5-10.apk/odex
    Myfiles.apk/odex
    Sims3_Samsung_Embed_Launcher.apk/odex
    slackerradio.apk/odex
    Swype-Tips.apk/odex
    Telenav.apk/odex
    thinkdroid.apk/odex [ThinkFree Office]
    vvm-signed.apk/odex -> T-Mobile Visual Voicemail [can be re-downloaded from the market. for some reason that version is the preferred one.]
    VoiceRecorder.apk/odex
    VoceDialer.apk/odex
    Writeandgo.apk/odex

TouchwizWidgets:
    Day.apk/odex
    DualClock.apk/odex
    SamsungWidget_Calenderclock.apk/odex
    SamsungWidget_Feedandupdate.apk/odex
    SamsungWidget_stockclock.apk/odex
    SamsungWidget_Weatherclock.apk/odex

** If you are having issues with Root Explorer not being able to delete files (not mounting), the please see my post to see if this helps. If it does not, please let me know in the thread. **

TAKE SCREEN SHOTS!
    If you have root, the easiest way is to download shootme or drocap2 from the market. You can also use the Android SDK, but I'm going to keep is basic here. Once you have your pic, upload it for all of the community to see!
    Shootme:
    chart

DISABLE ADS WITHIN APPS! ** On Froyo it seems on websites it creates a URL with the android logo, odd but the ad is blocked nonetheless **
    Download AdFree from the market... check for updates and voila, most, if not all apps should be ad-free. Ads help the developers. If you care, rather than block them, try clicking them to support.
    AdFree:
    chart

HOW TO TETHER ** most custom ROMs and FROYO likely already include this **
    There are apps like Barnacle and Wireless Tether, but I would now recommend the Tether app that came with the Galaxy (that was removed by a lot of the carriers). Ibingham was kind enough to post the .apk (JI6 Build click here) (JFD Build click here) and I can tell you it works perfectly. Please note the app is not in the app drawer (his first post has everything you need to know).

Thanks to chui101 for notifying me of the updated version for JI6 builds.

STOP THE BOOTUP / SHUTDOWN AUDIO NOTIFICATIONS!
    This thread has it covered: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=731059
    I deleted these two files using Root Explorer (referenced below) and can attest it works perfectly.

The i9000 Galaxy bootup/shutdown animation/sounds were listed above if you want a new look.

Thanks to XDA Member PhilSlater I know that the File locations are:
    Bootup: system/etc/PowerOn.wav
    Shutdown: system/media/audio/ui/Shutdown_128.ogg
    So Zaduma does not feel insulted here is an alternate method. You can see his post here.
    Continued from post #1

VIBRANT TOPICS

ARE YOU HARDWARE LOCKED? ** Please note this is for JI6, if you are running froyo do not do this **
    untermensch has a fix for those who are HWL'd that seems VERY effective. I always heard some who updated from JFD to JI6 had the HWL fixed automatically, but that was not the case for everyone. It appears those who updated OTA got the fix, but most who did ODIN or Kies did NOT get the HWL issue fixed.

Please see his excellent thread by clicking here. Hope this helps.

If you are using froyo, I imagine you could revert back to JI6 and flash this to fix the HWL.

HOW TO USE ODIN
    I have the steps listed below (from when JI6 was leaked). For those who prefer a video, this video seems to do a good job of showing it.

TIPS FOR BATTERY LIFE
    I have not tried this, but BruceElliot had a great post on his suggestions to improve battery life. You can read it here. I will try and add more as you guys report them to me.

GPS FIX THAT WORKED WONDERS FOR ME!
    I have never had an issue with GPS until I flashed ODIN JI6. I could be outside 45 minutes and never get a lock... stock JI6, Eugene's or sombionix's ROMs.. nada. I was PM'd by kdf2833 about a GPS fix for the JI6 (no clue if it works for JFD, I would assume so). He told me to go read THIS POST from digatltoddy. Below is the post if you do not want to leave the thread:

You'll need to get into LBSTestMode by entering *#3214789650# from the dialer. Press Delete GPS Data, this will get rid of the bad GPS information that is probably still stored in your phone. Go to Application Settings and set the Start Mode to 'Cold Start'. Reboot your phone and go outside, run an app like GPS Test and let it lock onto as many birds as it can, once you get a good number (at least 5), go back into your LBSTestMode --> Application Settings and set the Start Mode back to 'Hot Start', reboot and all should be merry.

I had major issues w/ my GPS and was able to put this together with the help of various posts and a deeper understanding of how GPS on these phones actually works. Hope this helps!

Also, it's probably best to run the GPS Test application while you are driving around, let it lock onto as many birds as it can (I'd say let it run for a few minutes, I was able to get 9 the first time) before setting it back to 'Hot Start'. This way it will keep these birds in the list and allow you for a faster lock afterwards.

** If this works for you too, and boy did it for me, please thank digitaltoddy and let me know in this thread - good or bad so I know **

EASY WAY TO GET THE JI6 UPDATE ** Huge thanks to VICosPhi, youneek, samfirmware.com, rhcp0112345,Viralblack and the3dman **
    I went back to the stock kernel from JACs oc/uv kernel using this zip file (flash it in in clockwork recovery). I then downloaded this .zip from VICosPhi. and followed the following steps (given by youneek):

** please note that I was on the stock ROM (with alot of mods). If you are running a custom ROM, you may need to go back to stock (I do not know, n/a to me), which would wipe your data.... if you are stock (JFD) however, you will retain all of your settings/data when you update to JI6.

Those who want to go back to stock the file is included in the zip and youneek laid out all the steps in his thread. Below are the steps for people who are stock already (JFD) **

Step 1.) Open Odin.exe and plug a usb cable to your computer that will connect to your phone (do not plug it in to the phone yet, just the computer)
    Step 2.) *Added this: Power off your phone before trying to get into download mode, and then....*
    Hold down both volume buttons at the same time and while holding them down plug the usb into your phone. You should see a COM message show up in Odin.
    Step 3.) Leave all check boxes the way they are. Do NOT check the repartition box.
    Step 4.) Click the PIT button and select the 512.pit file
    Step 5.) Click the PDA button and select T959UVJI6.tar and then click Start

Your phone will reboot. It will take about 10 minutes at the Galaxy screen, this is normal.

VICosPhi:
    [ People with hardware locked vibrants, make sure you have the drivers installed for vibrant on your PC and then connect your phone to pc with USB debugging turned on and open adb and type "adb reboot download"]

** I lost root. I followed these steps again. I have clockwork recovery which you have to keep the update.zip in /sdcard.... well, to root, the file must be named update.zip and in /sdcard, so I renamed the CWR one "cwrupdate.zip"... when my root and reboot was done I went back and renamed the cwrupdate.zip back to update.zip (afterr I deleted the update.zip file that was used to root). This all may not be necessary, but it worked for me.

I rebooted in clockwork recovery (remember to reinstall packages for this update.zip at the stock recovery to get to CWR) and made a nandroid of stock JI6 so I have this fresh root to come back to. ALWAYS MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP!

QUICKLY REBOOT YOUR PHONE
    Sometimes you need to reboot your phone. kizer & Gad13 informed me that you can press and hold the power button for 8-10 seconds and it will reboot. I also use an app called Quick Boot that works very well. Quick Boot does require root access. I have a shortcut on my LauncherPro dock, one press and I can reboot.

BUTTONS - Tap vs. Long Press (LP) Taken from www.androidcentral.com:
    Home: Returns to the main home screen. If at the home screen, another tap gives a preview of all home screens.
    (LP) = See your most recently used apps (GREAT for multitasking). On JI6 (update from Oct 2010) you also can see the Task Manager.

Back: Takes you back a level in an app, or back a page in a browser, etc.
    (LP) = In your browser, quickly access bookmarks, history and most-visited sites. Thanks, Snapdragon0503! (EDIT: odd, doesn't seem to work for me now)

Menu: Tap this for additional options in an application, or from the home screens.
    (LP) = Make the keyboard appear.

Search: Brings up the search function. Could be search within an app, Google search, or universal search of contacts, bookmarks, apps, etc. that are in the phone.
    (LP) = Launches voice search.

WANT A NEW LOOK? CHANGE YOUR FONT!
    In settings, go to sound and display. Change the "Font Style" is like 8th from the bottom. There are a few freebies, and about 50 for a dollar in the market. If you want to see more available, click on "Get Fonts Online." This will direct you to the Market.

I changed my system to helvetica, and I was amazed at the level it changed the phone.

EDIT: I used to have a thread linked here with 100's of free fonts, but some broke the rules and posted paid fonts so the thread was closed. If anyone starts the initiative to post more free ones, please let me know so I can add a link, thanks!

CHANGE THE DOCK BUTTONS ON TOUCHWIZ!
    Open the app drawer, menu, edit, change to customizable. With the app drawer open now, press menu and edit again. You can now replace the two app docks in the middle (dialer and app drawer can't be replaced).

DELETE APPS FROM THE LAUNCHER OF TOUCHWIZ
    Open the launcher, menu > view type, change to customizable. Now press Menu again and select Edit. All of the non-system apps will have a red subtraction logo. Thanks to XDA user erikrios and his post for this gem!

QUICKLY ADJUST YOUR BRIGHTNESS
    Move your finger left to right across the notification bar. You probably need to cut off auto-brightness though. thanks to soklean (neat!)

NEED TO COPY AND PASTE?
    If at a site, and you need to copy some text... click Menu > Select Text > Drag your finger over the text you need to copy. When you release your finger, the selected text is copied to your clipboard. Long press and paste when ready. I agree this is not perfect, but some of us may not even know you could do it. Froyo is coming soon, and with it the ability to easily copy/paste within gmail.

HOW TO CONTROL + F USING THE ANDROID BROWSER
    Android makes this very easy when using their browser as well. Simply press Menu when in the browser, go to More, then select "Find on Page." You can then enter the keyword you are looking for and use the directional arrows (to the left of the word) to move from one entry to the next.

CHANGE THE HAPTIC VIBRATION INTENSITY
    Love this feature. I often find haptic feedback is too much. To adjust the intensity, from the home screen: Menu > Settings > Sound and Display > Vibration Intensity. As you slide the bar it gives you an idea of the intensity.

TAP CONTACT IMAGE FOR MORE OPTIONS
    XDA user jkang29 reminded me of another thing I took for granted. When you are in Contacts, click on the image of the contact for MANY options on how to contact/share with that particular contact. Thanks jkang29!

WANT TO DISABLE SD CARD NOTIFICATIONS?
    To cut off the sound, from the home screen: Menu > Settings > Sound and Display > SD Card Notifications. You can uncheck this and never hear that sound again.

CAMERA / VIDEO SECTION

WANT TO ADD THE FRONT FACING CAMERA TO YOUR VIBRANT?
    Thanks to siirial and Eugene's ROM you can actually have a working FFC on the Vibrant. It takes a little modification, and you will need to be running a custom ROM from Eugene (Root Needed), but if you want a FFC, this is an awesome mod. I have not done this myself, but please see his thread for everything you need to know (how to get the camera, how to mod the phone, and you can find a link to Eugene's rom).

* If someone can create a video for this mod, please let me know so I can post it for everyone. * Thanks to MTC44 for the suggestion.

PHOTOS IN THE DARK? WANT A PANORAMIC?
    You can put the Camera in Night Mode and it will take amazingly good photos in a dark situation. I tried this for the first time at a concert recently. I was amazed. Pull out the tab on the left of the camera screen, go to settings and change Scene Mode to Night. Do some test shots to compare for yourself!

Also, I tried out Panoramic shots for the first time in Alaska. I was amazed at how simple/easy this was. Just like before, just go the settings and change the mode. Then just pan left to right. You can press the camera button again to stop the panoramic... I believe it can take up to 8 shots.

LOCK THE SCREEN WHILE VIEWING VIDEOS OR USING THE CAMERA
    XDA user timekillerj just made a thread pointing out how to do this. It was new to me, and a nice feature. Simple press the power button and your screen is locked - helpful so you do not skip a scene by accident. You can see his thread here.

HOW DO YOU ZOOM IN?
    XDA user antonio91282 pointed out that you can zoom in by pressing the volume rocker while using the camera. It goes from 1-4x.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN RECODING VIDEO TO SD VS. INTERNAL MEMORY ** No noticable difference **
    XDA user wphend00 asked if there were differences between recording video to the SD vs. Internal memory. Here is my post with links to the videos so you can see for yourself. Here is a link to the entire thread so you can see discussion about it, if any.

APP TOPICS

DOWNLOAD NOT SHOWING UP, MAKING YOU REBOOT?
    I did not notice this on Eclair, but with the froyo builds most of the time my downloads (especially pictures) do not show in the Gallery unless I do a reboot. IF this was a problem on Eclair I just went to SD Card & Phone Storage an unmounted and mounted my internal memory. Froyo has taken this function away apparently.

I found that this app ScanMedia works like a charm (no permission needed)
    chart

COMPARISONS OF THE HOME REPLACEMENT APPS ** AS OF OCT 2010 **
    I tried to write a synopsis of the apps that can replace TouchWiz. Please see this thread here and let me know if I missed anything. I strongly encourage new users to try these apps. I prefer LauncherPro - it just seems snappy.

INSTALL THE 2.2 MARKET ON YOUR 2.1 DEVICE ** I had hiccups, just flash a froyo ROM in my opinion **
    Paul (a genius for rooting android devices) made a tweet a couple of weeks ago about how to install the 2.2 market on 2.1 devices. You can see his thread here.
    XDA user JWhipple made a post with the .apk file and it's really been catching on. You can find his post and the file to download here.

Do not delete your existing market (vending.apk from system/apps) or move it. Just simply download the .apk file from the linked thread, and then open it up with a file manager. It may ask you to install or upgrade, click that, and then accept the prompt about a system app. Voi'la, you have one of the better features of 2.2 Froyo on your phone now.

** Please note this is just the updated market, you will not be able to install Flash on our Vibrants till we have Froyo OS **

Huge thanks to Paul, Liam Haynes and JWhipple. I have done this and everything seems to be working perfectly.

WANT SWYPE WITH VOICE INPUT? ** This may be irrelevant with JI6 rolling out OTA now **
    Jr33 made a thread with a version of swype that has the voice input button. It works very well. Just download and install with clockwork recovery. You can find it here. If after installing it you would like to theme it, head over to this thread started by hoey2011. I have done both of these mods, and love it.

WANT THE NFL APP FROM VERIZON?
    Mr_Creeper_98 made a post for the updated NFL app that Tnpapadakos posted. This is a must have app if you like the NFL. You can find the post here.

WHERE ARE APPS LOCATED?
    System Apps:
    Market Apps:
    Market Apps (Private):
    Downloaded Apps (using browser):

* If you download an app using the browser, you can use Root Explorer to move the app to data/app so the apps are stored on the 1.9GB partition the system uses. Once moved you can click on it to install it.

TRY A HOME REPLACEMENT (ADW or LauncherPro) ** See my guide above for some Home Replacement options **
    Go to the market and download either - both are free. Gravis86 started a good thread debating which is better, located here.
    ADW:
    chart
    LP:
    chart

This my LP setup on my Vibrant (OLD, much cooler looking now, ha). Notice the docks (these are also scrollable & there are 5 per each desktop screen you have). The Live Wallpaper is Aquarium.
    4817679567_97415902d9.jpg

XDA user afive720 had a nice post on how to revert back to TouchWiz (without uninstalling). You can read the thread here for more information.

WHAT WEATHER APP IS THAT?
    It is Beautiful Widgets, found here.
    BW is approximately $1.92:
    chart

WANT TO USE ALLSHARE: PC > PHONE AND VICE/VERSA?
    I found this thread to be extremely helpful. I ended up using Windows Media Player and it was too easy. Great app.
    XDA User BritCrit has also given some really good information in this thread you may also want to review.

USE AWESOME DROP TO MOVE FILES IF NO CABLES
    If you are ever in a bind, or just being lazy you can use this app to move files from a PC to your phone. No hassle, no account setup and it is free. Just go to this site: http://labs.dashwire.com/drop and then enter the 4 digit code when you open the app on your phone. Drag whatever files to the browser on your PC, and voila, it will instantly start showing up on your phone.
    chart

REDUCE A PICTURES SIZE BEFORE SHARING IT?
    Paul O'Brien tweeted about an app, Image Shrink Lite, that lets you adjust the size and then select the method you want to share (twitter, messenger, gmail, etc). I mention this only because a lot of people get frustrated when they take a pic and try and send it out, but gmail hangs on it (and it eventually ends up a draft email) because it is too large to send timely. Re-size the pics before you email them and you will not have this Fail.
    Image Shrink Lite:
    chart

METAMORPH - Theme Your Phone!
    junkdruggler has a great thread on everything metamorph. Please check it out here and thank him! Metamorph is great for theming your phone, but it can break your market requiring you to login again. I prefer to theme with .zip files flashed in recovery.

MetaMorph Donate ($1):
    chart
    Free:
    chart

** Use Metamorph to theme Swype or your Notification Bar ** (these are old links, there may be better/cooler ones now, search)
    Themed Swype - Huge props to hoey2011
    Themed Notification Bar (Evo) - Huge props to bahnburner

*ALTERNATIVELY* YOU COULD FLASH THIS .ZIP AND NOT USE METAMORPH (This is what I am currently running, it is spectacular!!).
    4940159455_08122084aa.jpg

CONTACTS / DIALER TOPICS

HOW TO ADD UNWANTED CALLS TO REJECT
    I was recently being spammed. About 20 calls a day (ANNOYING). After you get an unwanted call, go to the Call Log, long press on the number and then add it to the Reject List. Next time the number calls you will just get a pop-up letting you know.

EDIT YOUR CONTACTS (BIG IMPROVEMENT IMHO)
    Please read my guide located here. It was moved to save space. This really cleans up the phone, so I encourage giving it a try!

FIND YOUR CONTACTS FASTER!
    When you load Contacts, you will notice the far right has the alphabet running top to bottom. Good news, by simply pressing on the letter you will automatically jump down, instantly.

SMART DIALER!
    Pull up your dialer and just start typing the number (or letters will work too, thanks sl0play) out. It filters down your contacts as you type each new digit/letter. Likely, after the area code and first 1 or 2 digits after should be enough. There will be a drop down on the right and a number above it (the # of possible contacts based off what you input). Just press the contact, and the press CALL, genius.

SLIDE CONTACT PIC TO TEXT/CALL
    denny_1986 mentioned in this post, that by sliding the contact picture to the left you are sent to the messenger app (with the "to" field completed). If you slide the contact pic to the right, you call the default phone number. Works in both Contacts and Messenger.

KEYBOARD TOPICS

TRY A NEW KEYBOARD!
    To switch... simply long press anywhere that you would normally input text (a text message or the search widget). "input method" will pop up, click on this. Now choose the KB you want to try out. If one is not showing up, go to Menu > Settings > Locale and Text and make sure it’s there & checked.

NEED A TRACKBALL? ** Other KB's can/may do this too, you can search this thread for how, I prefer Swype **
    In swype, move from the "swype tips" button to the "sym" key. Voila, directional buttons appear + other goodies (see pic).

4818391746_72af05aaf3.jpg

MISC. GUIDES

HOW TO RECONDITION YOUR BATTERY
    If your battery seems to drain fast, or if you are changing roms, you might want to try the following to help your battery. Master posted the following instructions (this assumes you have root and clockwork recovery):

1.) Drain your battery to the point it shuts off on it's own..
    2.) Plug it in & let it charge over night (While it is still off)
    3.) Launch into ClockWork Recovery by holding the "VOL UP", "VOL DOWN", & "Power" release those buttons after you see the second Vibrant screen.
    4.) Press "reinstall packages" (It should take you to the Clockwork Mod Recovery screen, If it didn't then press "reinstall packages' again)
    5.) Go to "advanced"
    6.) Press "Wipe Battery Stats"
    7.) Reboot

** I drain my battery to as low as it will go, but not all the way. I also charge it for only about an extra hour max, once it's fully charged. **

HOW TO MOUNT PHONE TO PC
    XDA user DaMaDo reminded me Android does not auto-mount like some other phones on the market. When most of us connect the phone, the USB drivers are automatic (use the cable that came with your phone!). If not, there is a guide below to assist. For now, let's assume all is well on the first connection of the Vibrant to the PC. When you connect you will likely get a popup on the PC about installing drivers, great.
    Okay, go to the phone's notification bar and pull it down. You will see USB Connected. Click on this, & then click on "Mount."

Shortly after, your computer should pop up automatically TWO devices, the "/SDCARD" (Internal Memory) and "SDCARD/SD" (SD Card). If not, go to My Computer and find the drives you just mounted to the PC.

NEPHRON'S GUIDE FOR ADB, etc (taken from the G1 forums)
    This guide helped me a ton. I realize some things may be different, but I could not think of a better starting point. Please read this thread. You should attempt ADB, it's very nice to have.

CONVERT VIDEO FILES ON YOUR PC FOR YOUR PHONE
    XDA user TGA_Gunnman did an excellent job putting a thread together for how to convert videos using HandBrake (get it here) and then moving them to your phone. Be sure and thank him if his how to helped you!

HOW TO PROPERLY INSTALL A NEW SD CARD
    XDA user techspy posted this question and I had recently done it so I responded. Like always, I'm certain there are people on here who know how to do this better/easier, but this works and is nothing difficult. Here is my post with instructions, and here is the thread for discussion.

HOW TO HIDE FOLDERS
    achild made a great post with the instructions. Thank him for his effort on this post!

MISC. QUESTIONS

MY PHONE NUMBER DOES NOT SHOW UNDER SETTINGS?
    It has happened to me on the G1, and I recently saw a Vibrant user post this. smerff has an excellent post with what you need to do!

WHAT ARE THOSE FUNKY BARCODES?
    These are QR Codes. Download Barcode Scanner from the market. Scan any of these codes I linked. You will be sent to the app in the market. Download, enjoy.

NOTICE LAG? ** I do not use lag fixes so this may be old, please search the development section before creating a thread **
    I do not encourage this, but some will want to play with it. There is a great thread on tweaks that can be done to speed up the Galaxy.

I personally think custom ROMs and oc/uv kernels knock out almost any of this issue. If you are stock/non-rooted.. please try a root/custom ROM setup before you give up on the Vibrant. Our developers are amazing.

DOUBLE NOTIFICATIONS?
    If you are using a 3rd party app, you may be getting double notifications. For example, I use Handcent for texting (you should try it). First thing you need to do is open the stock Messenger app, go menu > Settings and disable notifications. This is basic, but sometimes it's easy to overlook.

SHOULD I USE A TASK KILLER?
    Absolutely not. You have the best OS and one of the best spec'd phones ever. You would be doing more harm than good. If you do have one, uninstall, reboot and let me know what you think! If you have a bad app that is causing you issues, uninstall it, rather than installing a TK.
    In addition, even Google at Google I/O 2010 addressed app developers and asked them to no longer include "quit" or "close" as options within their apps. I think Andronica (another great android site) summed it up well with their article, found here.
    XDA user iunlock created a thread with some good debate based off this sticky. You can read all the thoughts by clicking here. In short, the overwhelming majority agreed and some have commented on seeing an increase in performance after deleting their task killers.

HOW TO DO A FACTORY RESET!
    Rarely should you need to do this (I've never done one), but if you want to, simply press menu and go to settings. Scroll down to Privacy. In there is the option to perform a Factory Reset.

NEED HELP INSTALLING THE DRIVERS ON YOUR PC?
    TGAGunnMan started a great thread with links for the drivers. You can view it here.

courtmagician also has a good thread discussing issues with USB Debugging as well. I would suggest reading this thread also.

THREE (3) LIGHTS/SENSORS - SURE THERE IS NO NOTIFICATION LED?
    Yeap. I asked myself when I noticed there were 3 items. Two are used for the proximity sensor, the other is the light sensor.
    Big props to XDA user gravis86 for answering my query so fast, see his post here.
    CHANGE-LOG

- Removed link to 100s of free fonts since the thread was deleted (thank you to theotherguy)

- Added cvibe88's videos to the top of the sticky

- Link to Eugene's Super IO kernel
    - Link to all of the modems for the Vibrant (thanks scrizz)

- Change the bootup animation

- Make a JIG - save your "bricked" phone

- Deleted how to flash a radio as it was not applicable to our phone (we have a MUCH easier process)
    - Clarificatoin on a few things - HWL phone/rooting
    - I'll try and add more during my work day.

- Link added to the Intro for noob friendly guide (Includes videos)

- Added the app ScanMedia to App Topics (useful when pics/ringtones/etc do not show after download)
    - Deleted some stuff for space needed
    - Added larger headings for the sections

- Added a fix for Hardware Locked phones - let us know if this does/does not work.
    - Added at the top of the thread how to go from Froyo BACK to Eclair if wanted.
    - Removed the old HWL fix I had... it actually was the same thing, but I like my new wording better, ha.
    - Deleted the "how to enter safe mode" recommendation given to me
    - Moved how to send calls to the Phone/Dialer section.

- Added farrisizdamans thread for those who MISTAKENLY (dont do it!) used the Partition feature in Rom Manager.
    - More housekeeping. If you guys see things that need to be updated, PLEASE let me know. This has become more of a task with Froyo rolling out and multiple kernels.

- I went and tried to update/clarify a LOT of the material.
    - Added how to send calls to a Reject List (Spam/telemarketers) - Vibrant Topics
    - Moved Vibrant Topics to the top of post 2.
    - As always, let me know how to improve and what to add.

- Added a video of how to use ODIN (not my video, random find on youtube). Its in Vibrant Topics, post 2.
    - Probably going to update to 2.2 tonight... may try and post that later if people are interested.

- BruceElliots post on improving battery life (Vibrant Topics)
    - chaoscentral gets credit for the Captivate camera previosly posted (my bust)

- How to enter Safe Mode (Vibrant Topics) - thank you so much patriot1973 for the PM/thread.

- JI6 GPS Fix. I used to pick on people complaining about GPS till I did this. Blew me away. (Vibrant Topics)
    - Moved how to install JI6 to Vibrant Topics
    - Added steps to take if Root Explorer is not able to mount/delete system files (Delete the Bloat post)
    - Added more information on how to use Titanium Backup

- How to flash a custom ROM (Root Topics)
    - A fix for hardware locked Vibrants (Vibrant Topics - post 2) Thanks Chui101 and untermensch)

- Comparisons of the Home Replacements (App Topics)

- Updated instructions for Rom Manager
    - Updated a lot of posts for JI6 (please PM me if you catch something that needs updating)
    - chio101 notified me of the JI6 Mobile AP (Wireless Tethering)
    - I flashed Bionix 1.7 tonight with JACs oc kernel. I'll post thoughts later today. I encourage you to try it also!

- How to install the 2.2 Froyo Market on our 2.1 Device (root not needed so it's under App Topics)

- How to flash JI6 (be sure and go back to stock kernel if needed - this is also in the sticky - ctrl+f for "kernel")
    - How to recondition your battery (Misc Guides - post 2)
    - Task Manager by LP'ing HOME - thanks kuhan

- Added how to install the front facing camera (FFC) thanks to siirial (Camera section - post 2)
    - Added panoramic shots to the camera section also. Will try and post an example from Alaska later.
    - Updated the OTA/Root topic. It appears many did not lose root with the OTA update. Awesome to hear.

- Added JAC's kernel for oc/uv (Things to do with root)
    - Added a link to the NFL app (App Topics)
    - Added a link to Swype with Voice Input (App Topics)

- Flashable .zip GPS fix (huge thank you to frankencat) - Root users only

- Trying to get the format done
    - Added how to reboot (long press power - thank you kizer and Gad13)
    - Added a line about the stock android calendar not being perfect.

- Added the stock calendar .apk's needed to replace crap TW calendar.
    - Added how to have a true stock android launcher, with the .apk attached.
    - Noted the Captivate camera sorts pics in the correct order (make sure you aren't looking at your old Vibrant folders).
    - Added a link to jonnybuenos theme (no metamorph needed) and gave a pic of my setup.
    - Added link to list of all ROMs (thanks to almyz125)
    - Please PM me suggestion and give feedback on what you want.

- Added how to change fonts (big kudos to those guys!!!)
    - Added what to do if your phone # does not show under your settings (rare this would happen, but it does). Misc Q. section.
    - Added list of bloat apps that can be removed. (high demand).
    - Replace the TW calendar with the calendar from Cyanogens ROM

- Added how to install the Captivate camera on the Vibrant (Things to do with Root section)
    - Added the "Will I receive an OTA update if I root" question to the top (this should have been here already, my bad.)
    - Added how to get into Stock Recovery (seen a lot of posts on this recently. Hope there is no issue with new phones).

- Removed Barnacle as the suggested Tether app.
    - Added the Tether app that came with the Intl Galaxy (removed by carriers).
    - Clarified that the Intl Galaxy flashable zips are for the bootup and shutdown (I love them).
    - Clarified that in the dialer pressing letters filters results too, not just numbers (thanks sl0play)
    - How to put the Camera in Night Mode (amazing photos in the dark, I was impressed. I hate flash photos anyway!).
    - Added zaduma's alternate method for removing the startup/shutdown sounds (since he whined so much, haha, jk). Thanks for posting it man.
    - Moved the Disabling startup/shutdown sounds under "Things to do With Root" from "Vibrant Topics."

- Added to the App Topics section - how to theme swype and notification bar (both can revert to stock)
    - Under Things to do With Root - Use the i9000 boot animation/sound instead (no more pink box)

- Slide contact picture to text/call (thanks denny_1986)

- How to check an MD5Sum (verify the integrity of a downloaded file)
    - How to PROPERLY update your radio (please note this is for future reference, as there are no known updated radios)
    - How to hide folders (thanks achild)
    why the hell is this not stickied?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
    Not according to my ex wife.

Hmm. Not sure how to respond to that. Sorry.

I had no idea this thread had close to 1/4 million views. Not bad for non sticky and old as hell.