Thanks Meter: 378

By pakidermo5000, Senior Member on 24th February 2014, 11:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd March 2014, 11:06 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdude12

After talking with a supervisor the other day, they said that its possible and does happen sometime that as a trailer is being unloaded, a box will slide off the conveyor belt, and then accidentally get set to the side for manual sort later. Then it sometimes gets mis-placed during this process. He didnt know about Nashville, but the packages in most cities are not scanned as they come off the truck, but as they go through the sorting process in that warehouse. He was confident that they might find it Monday, but could make me no promises.

I'm sorry, but I think you've seen the last of that.

Garth Brooke's is driving around with it in his car right now as we speak.......
3rd March 2014, 03:54 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 461

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schplade

Without knowing too much about android roms, seeing as we have the source code does that make it likely that it is possible someone would be able to build a custom rom for these devices?

Or would we still need to unlock the bootloader etc?

Yes, you would probably still need to unlock the bootloader in order to boot into custom ROMs. Most OEM bootloaders will only boot the ROMs that it is signed by its platform key. But, that's just one part of the problem. The other is that unlike an Android Tablet or Smartphone, these Android Head Units are a hybrid design.

Think of it as an Android device that's internally attached to a car stereo. The low level I/O board with the MCU is technically a separate device. It boots up much quicker and can operate independently of the Android board inside. That's why you can sometimes hear music even before Android powers up. The biggest hurdle for making a custom ROM for these head units will be interacting with the MCU to control the low level functions.

While it is true that the stock multimedia apps act as remote controls for the MCU, it doesn't mean we can just install them on another ROM and expect them to work. The drivers to interact with them must be in place so that the Android board can communicate with the MCU for its I/O resources. To my knowledge none of the manufacturers have released the source code for those drivers. So until then, yes it is possible to put a different ROM on the device but there is no guarantees to be able to retain the full functionality.
4th March 2014, 01:33 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick99

Garth Brooke's is driving around with it in his car right now as we speak.......

That dirty %#*@^#&@! Hahah, Sad thing is I work in the country music industry, and if I even thought that was true, I would be knocking on his management's door right now.

A call to FedEx today returned no results. They still have not found the box, but did find out that we have to wait 5 business days before they will declair it lost. :-/

My point of contact did say that he asked the warehouse managers of both Nashville and Memphis to assign someone to go through the warehouse and search for it today. I have my doubts, but guess we will see.

Anyone else gotten theirs yet???
4th March 2014, 04:16 PM |#24  
Flag Swansea
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:

That dirty %#*@^#&@! Hahah, Sad thing is I work in the country music industry, and if I even thought that was true, I would be knocking on his management's door right now.

A call to FedEx today returned no results. They still have not found the box, but did find out that we have to wait 5 business days before they will declair it lost. :-/

My point of contact did say that he asked the warehouse managers of both Nashville and Memphis to assign someone to go through the warehouse and search for it today. I have my doubts, but guess we will see.

Anyone else gotten theirs yet???

Sorry for your loss.

But the good news is my unit arrived today.

I'm fitting it at the moment. I bought the one specifically for my Toyota rav4 and first impressions are very good. It fits exactly in the facia and the pre-wired connections fit the old radio connections, so it was just a case of plug and play. I have briefly tried it and I must say the fm radio is brilliant. I am picking up stations I didn't get on my stock radio.
It has built-in wifi and I tethered it to my phone. Browser and play store work well. The music app picked up my mp3's as soon as I inserted the 32g sd card. It didn't come with any satnav app so I installed tomtom and it works really well.
As far as I can see, everything on it works

My only criticism so far is that there is no hard button for 'home' or 'radio, so these have to be selected on the screen. There are 3 hard buttons which are not necessary ; setup, track right, and DVD., so I would have liked to see these changed...

I will do a video as soon as I can.

Anyone with any questions about the unit, feel free to ask......

Edit: Videos are up.
http://youtu.be/tuqVtx6JAdg
http://youtu.be/SMYQgJZ7GBo

There are 2 parts....
The Following User Says Thank You to blankers For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blankers Ad-Free
4th March 2014, 05:36 PM |#25  

More
Great News - They found the radio. Bad News - Its in Little Rock, AK. Even Worst News - I wont have it till Thursday.

Apparently it got loaded onto a truck going to Little Rock, instead of Nashville, and they found it this morning. This afternoon (evening), it will get put on a truck going back to Memphis, then onto a truck going to Nashville. I live about 45 miles outside of Nashville, so by the time it gets to my local delivery driver, it will be Thursday morning. Which means it will come sometime Thursday Day. FedEx normally hits my house around 3pm, so I will have it up and running by Thursday night no problem.
4th March 2014, 05:58 PM |#26  
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:

Great News - They found the radio. Bad News - Its in Little Rock, AK. Even Worst News - I wont have it till Thursday.

Apparently it got loaded onto a truck going to Little Rock, instead of Nashville, and they found it this morning. This afternoon (evening), it will get put on a truck going back to Memphis, then onto a truck going to Nashville. I live about 45 miles outside of Nashville, so by the time it gets to my local delivery driver, it will be Thursday morning. Which means it will come sometime Thursday Day. FedEx normally hits my house around 3pm, so I will have it up and running by Thursday night no problem.

Great news !
I'm sure you will love it. I love mine !!
4th March 2014, 08:51 PM |#27  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 378

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankers

Sorry for your loss.

But the good news is my unit arrived today.

I'm fitting it at the moment. I bought the one specifically for my Toyota rav4 and first impressions are very good. It fits exactly in the facia and the pre-wired connections fit the old radio connections, so it was just a case of plug and play. I have briefly tried it and I must say the fm radio is brilliant. I am picking up stations I didn't get on my stock radio.
It has built-in wifi and I tethered it to my phone. Browser and play store work well. The music app picked up my mp3's as soon as I inserted the 32g sd card. It didn't come with any satnav app so I installed tomtom and it works really well.
As far as I can see, everything on it works

My only criticism so far is that there is no hard button for 'home' or 'radio, so these have to be selected on the screen. There are 3 hard buttons which are not necessary ; setup, track right, and DVD., so I would have liked to see these changed...

I will do a video as soon as I can.

Anyone with any questions about the unit, feel free to ask......

Edit: Videos are up.
http://youtu.be/tuqVtx6JAdg
http://youtu.be/SMYQgJZ7GBo

There are 2 parts....

Great !
Thanks for the videos. I have updated the first post. I see that the unit seems to work pretty well. I am just a bit disappointed that the boot up time is around 30s. Hopefully, it can be reduced, as it happened with the OUKU, to around 15s.

Regarding you comments about the "useless buttons" and need for a home button. Probably you can reprogram the buttons by entering on protected/engeneering mode. I really have no idea how to do it in this unit, but in others you enter through the bluetooth module by inputing a code. Probably, you can find this info on the manual, if you got any.

Some questions for you:

- is the unit staying on a kind of stand by mode when you turn off the car (for an hour or so before shutting down completely)? or jit ust shuts down completely every time you turn off the car?
- when you save radio stations, can you save them by name or just frequency ?
- what happens with sound when you use the gps and you are listening to music/radio ?
- have you tried other apps than the stock ones for music, fm, gps, etc?
- is the screen birght enough? can you dim it ?
- what is the time that the gps needs to position?
- when the unit boots up, is it playing the same than when it was shut down?
- Is there any sound coming out from the unit (probably it can only happen with the radio) before you see the main screen? or you have to turn radio on each time?
- what about bluetooth ? is the contacts list stored on the headunit? can you search contacts? How is the sound during a call? Have you tried A2DP?

Hope it is not too much

Thanks a lot !
The Following User Says Thank You to pakidermo5000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pakidermo5000 Ad-Free
4th March 2014, 09:31 PM |#28  
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakidermo5000

Great !

Some questions for you:

Thanks a lot !

As you know I only got this today so I can't answer all the questions.....but what I can...

The unit shuts down if you switch the car off completely. It will stay on and boot up using the first click of the key in the ignition, so you don't have to have the engine running to test..
The radio stations save by frequency, although they show the station name on the screen once selected. I had already noticed that the 4.1.1 unit saves by name, so I might use their radio app instead.
Music with gps. That's configurable, default is to lower the music and play the gps sound, then back to music.
The screen is bright enough. I didn't notice if there was an auto setting for night time.
Gps gets position straight away. It must get position as soon as you boot.
If radio was running, it starts again. If music was running, it resumes when you boot.
Radio sound comes on before android has booted.
Bluetooth stores your contacts, sound seems ok. Haven't tried A2DP yet.

Will be able to answer more in a few days, after more testing

p.s The manual that comes with it is crap....tells you nothing...and is in Chinglish.....
The Following User Says Thank You to blankers For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blankers Ad-Free
5th March 2014, 12:18 AM |#29  

More
Does it have USB debugging?

Have you tried any of the "Self" Root APKs??

I can not wait til Thursday to start playing.
5th March 2014, 10:29 AM |#30  
Flag Swansea

More
Quote:

Does it have USB debugging?

Have you tried any of the "Self" Root APKs??

I can not wait til Thursday to start playing.

USB debugging is in the factory settings menu, which needs a password. I tried a few but couldn't get in, however when I tried z4root, it let me in and I set USB debugging on.
No luck rooting so far. I tried z4root framaroot....both failed.

Also noticed, there is a reset button and what looks like a headset jack under the left hand sd card cover.
5th March 2014, 05:04 PM |#31  

More
Apparently there is a tool called: RKAndroidTool

That is made to work with RK3066 Chips. It supposedly allows us to root and install CWM Recovery (There is a generic RK3066 one). I will have to look more at this once I get my unit and have time to Play.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android 4.2.2, android 4.4.4, autoradio, car dvd, rk3066

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)