Your thoughts on the unsmooth graphics?

Search This thread

amwbt

I'm no Atrix fanboy. More of a Captivate fanboy. Was an HTC user for the longest time. I just thought the comment was funny. Only reason I have the Atrix is cause I'm stuck with it and it is lightening fast as far as overall speed. I have nothing against you or your opinion. I'm sure the thunderberry is nice HTC always made excellent phones.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

stewartsoda

Apr 25, 2008
Somewhere In Idaho
So, back on topic......

I was playing around with a multitouch test and I noticed some lag and choppiness as the circles folloed my fingers around. It was very easy for me to smoothly move faster than the screen would respond. As it was following my finger it would kind of surge or pulse, but it wasn't as smooth as my finger.

So this lag/stutter may have nothing to do with Tegra and everything to do with the POS touchscreen controller that Moto used.

amwbt

So, back on topic......

I was playing around with a multitouch test and I noticed some lag and choppiness as the circles folloed my fingers around. It was very easy for me to smoothly move faster than the screen would respond. As it was following my finger it would kind of surge or pulse, but it wasn't as smooth as my finger.

So this lag/stutter may have nothing to do with Tegra and everything to do with the POS touchscreen controller that Moto used.

I still think its the LCD refresh rate. Just like the HD LCD TVs. If they don't have a high enough pixel refresh rate, it causes unsmooth or kind of like a ghosting effect.

rex-tc

Sep 3, 2008
Cape Girardeau
Its funny yall start dissing on the thunderbolt when I didn't bash the Atrix at all. Everything I said was aimed at the Tegra 2. Then I gave an example of a single core phone that runs way smoother than the Tegra 2 and most likely why that is. I just posted an explanation referring to the topic of this thread. Honeycomb uses some better hardware acceleration so the Tegra does do better on HC but it won't come close to the TI, snapdragon, or hummingbird dual core processors.

But clearly I'm talking to some serious fanboys here so there is no point in trying to state facts.

Edit: As far as the evo with lipstick comment goes I dont see what sense that makes considering the thunderbolt has more RAM and the msm8655 which is a huge leap in speed and efficiency from the processor in the evo.
Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

None of those processors are released or have proven themselves over Tegra. You are just going off of pure speculation. Heck by the time those relase Nvidia will have a Quad-core phone in the second quarter that will blow past all of those you previously listed. Which will have optimized backward compatible games right of the gate. On top of that Tegra was the reference platform for Honeycomb. If Google thought those other processor were light years ahead they would have used them. On top of the 30+ manufactures of Tegra devices that are out and coming out.

Back on topic...
The reason why the lag is a combination of Motoblur, Upscaling of rendered animations, and other optimizations. Go watch the video of the Droid X with 2.3.3 leaked and you will see the new Motoblur is WAY smoother. With a dual-core it will smoke.

BTW
Thunderbolt is overpriced and sucks except for the 4g radio. Otherwise it is underpowerd for any kind of gaming, application speed, or decent flash/browsing.

CyberPunk7t9

Aug 2, 2006
MN
Why is the GUI interface and overall graphics on the Atrix so unsmooth? I'm assuming the cause is the large resolution, and maybe a crappy LCD screen? I'm thinking its more the LCD screen. Since my iPhone 4 has a resolution close to if not the same as the Atrix, and has a PowerVR GPU one model lower than my Samsung Captivate, and its 10x smother than my Atrix. Just don't understand why you would build a phone with so much power and screw it up with an under par LCD screen. What are your thoughts?

The matter is extremely close to the situation of comparing gaming PC's to Consoles.

When developers are working on a console game, they have the advantage of optimizing it for that (1) console hardware, knowing exactly how it would run and perform all the time (think apple iphone here).

PC gaming development is much harder at this segment with all the varieties, and that's why sometimes PC's with hardware specs generations ahead of consoles can suffer from performance and unsuitability issues (think android phones here).

di11igaf

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 6, 2010
East Coast
R
None of those processors are released or have proven themselves over Tegra. You are just going off of pure speculation. Heck by the time those relase Nvidia will have a Quad-core phone in the second quarter that will blow past all of those you previously listed. Which will have optimized backward compatible games right of the gate. On top of that Tegra was the reference platform for Honeycomb. If Google thought those other processor were light years ahead they would have used them. On top of the 30+ manufactures of Tegra devices that are out and coming out.

Back on topic...
The reason why the lag is a combination of Motoblur, Upscaling of rendered animations, and other optimizations. Go watch the video of the Droid X with 2.3.3 leaked and you will see the new Motoblur is WAY smoother. With a dual-core it will smoke.

BTW
Thunderbolt is overpriced and sucks except for the 4g radio. Otherwise it is underpowerd for any kind of gaming, application speed, or decent flash/browsing.
Ya, go try to play a 720p flash video on your atrix(no, not the 'hd' in the YouTube app). Let me know how that works out for ya. The thunderbolt or inspire will play smooth as butter. The snapdragon supports flash acceleration anyway, plus the atrix has no neon support, which sucks. there is nothing wrong with browsing on them -In fact, its faster/smoother than the atrix. If its underpowered, that's not saying much for the atrix, cause the thunderbolt/inspire/desire hd is faster than than the atrix when its bone stock, let alone with an optimized kernel.

misterwaugh

Jan 31, 2011
...what are you talking about? I've never seen any unsmoothness on my Atrix, except in the Gallery app when zooming in on high res photos. Everywhere else, its far smoother than my 3rd gen iPod touch, which itself was no slouch.

That said, I use launcher pro instead of Motoblur, so maybe that has something to do with it.

For some reason, the motoblur launcher is the only thing I can get to run smooth on my Atrix. Gingerblur/Grayblur, launcher pro and the rest all cause choppyness, but the stock runs great lol.

rex-tc

Sep 3, 2008
Cape Girardeau
R
Ya, go try to play a 720p flash video on your atrix(no, not the 'hd' in the YouTube app). Let me know how that works out for ya. The thunderbolt or inspire will play smooth as butter. The snapdragon supports flash acceleration anyway, plus the atrix has no neon support, which sucks. there is nothing wrong with browsing on them -In fact, its faster/smoother than the atrix. If its underpowered, that's not saying much for the atrix, cause the thunderbolt/inspire/desire hd is faster than than the atrix when its bone stock, let alone with an optimized kernel.

Please LOL :)
Your half the RAM, DDR1, single core, no storage, low res screen, no dedicated hdmi port, phones can't keep up with the Atrix in their wildest dreams. Much less play 1080p videos (at any profile) no matter how many codecs they are loaded with. God could make the kernel and they would still fall behind. On top of that I will enjoy my HIGH RES TEXTURE games optimized for my device. ;)

di11igaf

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 6, 2010
East Coast
Please LOL :)
Your half the RAM, DDR1, single core, no storage, low res screen, no dedicated hdmi port, phones can't keep up with the Atrix in their wildest dreams. Much less play 1080p videos (at any profile) no matter how many codecs they are loaded with. God could make the kernel and they would still fall behind. On top of that I will enjoy my HIGH RES TEXTURE games optimized for my device. ;)

Ya cause 768= half of 1024. And your right, all those good specs and the atrix is still slower. You think I make this **** up? I had two atrix's, and did numerous comparisons against the inspire and the captivate. Inspire won every single one, period. It opens apps faster, loads webpage faster, NEVER lags, can run any live wallpaper without lagging and bogging down, renders YouTube vids faster, loads all apps in manage apps in settings faster(CPU), loads all apps with app to qr faster(CPU), and I didn't see you answer my other question- how did that 720p flash video play? It won't even play it without it stuttering to the point its unwatchable.. Low res screen? That's funny, cause the inspires screen actually looks more high-res due to the pentile matrix that the atrix uses. I knew when I did these tests I should have made a video since none of the atrix fanboys would believe me, but I did them for my own comparison, so I didnt. If the atrix won every test and was lightening fast like it should be with those specs, I would straight up admit it. Fact is though, look at all the lag threads in this forum, or people mentioning it in posts that even have to do with that subject. It's all over the place. No see how many lag threads you see in any of the other forums(inspire, thunderbolt, etc). Look at the threads in the inspire forum where people have switched to the atrix, then came right back to the inspire. Guess ill have to get hold of another atrix, and videotape my results this time.

Last edited:

Andrew149

Jul 17, 2010
Modesto CA
Ya cause 768= half of 1024. And your right, all those good specs and the atrix is still slower. You think I make this **** up? I had two atrix's, and did numerous comparisons against the inspire and the captivate. Inspire won every single one, period. It opens apps faster, loads webpage faster, NEVER lags, can run any live wallpaper without lagging and bogging down, renders YouTube vids faster, loads all apps in manage apps in settings faster(CPU), loads all apps with app to qr faster(CPU), and I didn't see you answer my other question- how did that 720p flash video play? It won't even play it without it stuttering to the point its unwatchable.. Low res screen? That's funny, cause the inspires screen actually looks more high-res due to the pentile matrix that the atrix uses. I knew when I did these tests I should have made a video since none of the atrix fanboys would believe me, but I did them for my own comparison, so I didnt. If the atrix won every test and was lightening fast like it should be with those specs, I would straight up admit it. Fact is though, look at all the lag threads in this forum, or people mentioning it in posts that even have to do with that subject. It's all over the place. No see how many lag threads you see in any of the other forums(inspire, thunderbolt, etc). Look at the threads in the inspire forum where people have switched to the atrix, then came right back to the inspire. Guess ill have to get hold of another atrix, and videotape my results this time.

Snapdragon processor is terrible processor the only reason why it is fast is because its optimized for andriod because its been in the android platform for over a year nvidia processor is still new and truth being the latest update from Motorola takes care of all this lag that your talking about when its only the noobs who complain about the lag because they dont know how to set up the phone properly

OH BTW
Snapdragon 45NM Single core
Nvidia 40NM dual core

yeah the NM size matters big time by battery efficienty and the smaller the nm the faster the cpu is its so really your snapdragon has to be overclocked to 1.2ghz to keep up with a 40nm 1ghz processor single core

heres a comparison of all processors enjoy your Thunderbolt(evo) a phone that is 1 years old with just 4g radio in it

http://www.tested.com/news/hummingbird-vs-snapdragon-vs-omap-vs-tegra-2-arm-chips-explained/1704/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I believe it's because atrix lacks proper software optimizations which motorola is too lazy to provide.