[Q] Help: xperia z1 Bootloop after installing CWM (Video) (tried google)

Search This thread

ravneravn

May 17, 2014
I also posted this in the sony xperia forum, but seeing as this is more active I will also try here. Sorry for the double post, but I'm sort of desperate.

So I brought myself in a bad situation.

Here's a video showing what the phone does and me trying to get into CWM:
http ://www .youtube. com/watch?v=5F2Gg_eU7Yw

I was trying to root my sony xperia z1 compact using this guide: http ://techglen. com/2014/02/05/root-xperia-z1-compact-d5503-4-3-14-2-a-1-114-official-firmware/
Following the steps it asked me to CWM 6 using this guide: http ://techglen. com/2014/02/05/install-cwm-6-on-xperia-z1-compact-d5503-4-3-14-2-a-1-114-official-firmware/2

I checked firmware and version of my phone and everything was correct.

I must admit I have no clue as to what I'm doing but I'm normally ok with tech stuff and the guide seemed detailed and trust worthy so I thought I could do it following the guide.

I got the bootloading unlocked just fine and started to install CWM. I made it this far:

- After downloading CWM kernel zip (Its not the actual name of file, just a reference name), place it in internal or external SD Card of your smartphone
- Now extract CWM kernel zip on your PC’s desktop and copy boot.img
- Paste this file inside the folder where you have installed Minimal ADB and Fastboot
- Now turn off your smartphones completely
- Plug in mobile’s USB in cable in PC port only
- Hold Volume up button and plug in USB cable in mobile’s port
- LED will turn blue (If it does not remain blue for long, then read Optional part in bootloader unlocking method explained above
- Once you are successfully in fastboot mode, then you can continue
- Now type Fastboot flash boot boot.img and press Enter
- It will flash boot.img file on your device
- Now unplug the device and boot it up
- As soon as you see purple colored LED, start pressing volume up and down buttons repeatedly, until you are in CWM mode
- In CWM Mode, select “Install Zip”

I downloaded CWM .img file, placed it in my ADB folder and placed a copy on my phone. Using ADB I flashed the CWM .img (bolded step), unplugged the phone and the CWM screen came up and I was able to navigate using the volume buttons. So far so good.

At this point I realized that the CWM .img file I had downloaded and placed on my phone was not a zip file and I couldn't find it. So I hit reboot to boot up my phone normally so I could place the .img packed as a .zip file on the phone. Some error message came up, but I didn't manage to read it but caught something saying root I think.

As it rebooted the sony logo came up but then the purple led turned on and it seemed to boot into CWM again. A brief screen explaining how to navigate came up as you see in the video below (but with no menu options to actually navigate) before it rebooted and repeated.

I can still use ADB and fastboot, but I can't get into CWM and I can't boot normally.
Edit: Just tried "adb devices" and it says "list of devices attached" and then it's just blank. I can't push files onto the phone (error: device not found) but I can still reboot the device fusing fastboot and there's no error when I try and reflash cwm. Reading up on this it would seem that usb debugging has somehow been turned back on so adb can't acces the phone but fastboot can. Any way to turn on usb debugging through fastboot?
I tried a forced shutdown using the off button next to the sim card but it didn't help.
The phone is not recognized by my computer so I can't place or delete files from it.

Here's a video showing what the phone does and me trying to get into CWM:
http ://www .youtube. com/watch?v=5F2Gg_eU7Yw

If I don't press the volume button it will just keep looping in the sony logo and purple led light.

What I want to do is get back to a normal boot, remove the CWM .img file and put the .img file packed as .zip file onto the phone and retry the process.

I have googled a lot of options, but most results are a year old and I hardly understand half of what is being suggested. If anyone could please walk me through the process in a language that a total idiot can understand I would be so grateful and hopefully get my sleep back.

Last edited: