[Q] note 3 camera tap to focus?

Search This thread

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
I cannot focus on half of the objects i tap to focus on. There is usually a red box around the tap to focus. Particularly for macro testing especially with my hand. And no there is no plastic over the lens. Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: Confirmed that the note 3 (All variants, as tested from 3 Bestbuy stores and about 10 note threes) camera sucks terribly at focusing on dark objects or objects with little difference in color. I'm surprised nobody noticed this. It can't focus on certain spots on the hand at 8 inches away depending on lighting but there will always be a spot on the hand it fails to focus on, nor can it focus on various dark objects in good light. No kernel changes, roms, or AOSP kernel/rom will fix it. The note 3 camera just sucks at focusing. Tested this against a LG G2, and Htc m7 and they could focus properly to those spots on my hand in good light that couldn't focus on.

Last edited:

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
Also tested against (Galaxy S4, S5, note 2, m8)
S4 - hardly struggles to focus maybe one or 2 fails
S5 - eerily fails at focusing [sometimes ]where the note 3 fails (software??)
N2 - no focus issues here
M8 - no focus issues here
I take allot of photos with my phones and I don't own the phones above but have spent over 30 minutes with each tinkering with the cameras in the same lighting conditions.

insane209

Nov 20, 2012
Modesto, ca
I cannot focus on half of the objects i tap to focus on. There is usually a red box around the tap to focus. Particularly for macro testing especially with my hand. And no there is no plastic over the lens. Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: Confirmed that the note 3 (All variants, as tested from 3 Bestbuy stores and about 10 note threes) camera sucks terribly at focusing on dark objects or objects with little difference in color. I'm surprised nobody noticed this. It can't focus on certain spots on the hand at 8 inches away depending on lighting but there will always be a spot on the hand it fails to focus on, nor can it focus on various dark objects in good light. No kernel changes, roms, or AOSP kernel/rom will fix it. The note 3 camera just sucks at focusing. Tested this against a LG G2, and Htc m7 and they could focus properly to those spots on my hand in good light that couldn't focus on.

Yea this cam sucks lol

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Damn.
Somehow I never noticed this.
And now I can never not notice this.

Hopefully it is a firmware / software bug, and not a hardware one...

All software, but much of it is tied to values it's reading off of the CMOS. The camera uses software to do all of the tasks needed to set focus, aperture, shutter, noise compensation, compression, filters, exposure compensation, film speed (or its digital equivalent), everything.

But...you could always use a 3rd party to confirm.

Samsung knows a thing or two about digital cameras, so I'm certain that this could be fixed.

I haven't had any issues akin to that which you're describing, yet I don't expect much from a tiny chip crammed with so many sensors in anything but outdoor lighting, so I likely haven't a baseline.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
All software, but much of it is tied to values it's reading off of the CMOS. The camera uses software to do all of the tasks needed to set focus, aperture, shutter, noise compensation, compression, filters, exposure compensation, film speed (or its digital equivalent), everything.

Samsung knows a thing or two about digital cameras, so I'm certain that this could be fixed.

I haven't had any issues akin to that which you're describing, yet I don't expect much from a tiny chip crammed with so many sensors in anything but outdoor lighting, so I likely haven't a baseline.

Just tested the lot of them and even with camera fv 5 on the n3, S5 and m8. Both n3 and s5 have the same issues. It is something with Samsung kernel or software . The m8 didn't struggle to focus. So to reiterate something is up with Samsung after the s4 because the s4 can focus on those points but even with a 3rd party camera app focus fails on the n3 / s5. Daduq samsung.

carnagecjb

Jul 19, 2007
Lexington, KY

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I've only used a couple different camera apps, but the issue seems to be common between them. (Even the Google Camera exhibits the problem...)

darkfangex5

Aug 29, 2010
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I've only used a couple different camera apps, but the issue seems to be common between them. (Even the Google Camera exhibits the problem...)

Wish I never found this problem. I scrutinize my tech and want the best. I might return this and wait for an lg g3, or get an s5/m8. I'm on the fence if I should even keep this device