Skype is live!!!

Search This thread

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
It seem the beta won't run in the background. That makes it a lousy call replacement app, as you'll need to coordinate with people when to open the app.

Also it lacks basic features like adding people to your contacts.

This is an OS limitation, WP7 apps can't run in the background nor can trigger a ringtone by push notification. Hopefully the Tango improves these APIs (but I have my doubts) otherwise Skype will need some creative native code to accomplish this (and to become a useful app).

The only way Skype can notify you when in the background is by sending a PN message (like whatsapp), this is far from ideal of course, but thats the platform and the decisions MS made. And clearly their own apps suffer from the limitations now.

How they will solve/bypass this problem I'm excited to know.

I've tested this app on a long call today (with video) on the Lumia 800 and it works amazing, call quality is great, the call did not drop (~10 min on 3g and ~20 min on wifi). Pretty amazing as Tango used to drop every 5 minutes for me.

So the app itself (although buggy) is working quite good, I'm pleasantly surprised with the stability while calling and the call quality. Good job!

Reactions: Briefcase

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
Works on Focus

I have a SWamsung Focus Rev 1.3, first gen device, no front facing camera. I had my first Skype video call with my daughter in Indiana, from NJ. Voice and video was fine from her to me, about a 2 second delay in audio from me to her. It was a 20 minute call and, with the exception of the logistics of no front facing camera, it was great from a beta version. I did not see the logic of her video being in a small, 3/4" x 1" box in the bottom right corner, and video of me taking up the entire screen. I don't want to see myself, I know what I look like. I want to see the person I am calling on the full screen video.

voluptuary

Dec 29, 2010
Mukwonago
I have a SWamsung Focus Rev 1.3, first gen device, no front facing camera. I had my first Skype video call with my daughter in Indiana, from NJ. Voice and video was fine from her to me, about a 2 second delay in audio from me to her. It was a 20 minute call and, with the exception of the logistics of no front facing camera, it was great from a beta version. I did not see the logic of her video being in a small, 3/4" x 1" box in the bottom right corner, and video of me taking up the entire screen. I don't want to see myself, I know what I look like. I want to see the person I am calling on the full screen video.

If you tap the picture of the person you are calling it will make it the main image on the screen. I don't know aht they have it the way they do, on all the other platfors you are the small picture. Also it would be sweet if someone cam up with a cheap mirror addon that would let you use your rear cam ;)

Attachments

• carrier_settings.cab
    36.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
Difficult

so your sitting in front of an mirror talking with your daughter?

Without a front facing camera all you can do is face the screen to see the other caller, then turn the camera on yourself so the caller can see you. Not practical at all. Usually, my wife and I call my daughter so I turn the camera on my wife while I speak to my daughter. I can see them both and let's face it, a daughter would rather see her mother anyway and my wife is a lot easier on the eyes than I am.

elpinta25

Mar 1, 2012
The truth that I do not like it full screen and the other person that I see in a small window, I hope this fix it ... and the arrangements that we have the option of front camera is always the option of glass;)
But to be the pre-beta version is very good and with less bugs than the Tango application

TwistedWaffle

Nov 26, 2007
I own an LG Optimus Quantum, and when I try to make an outgoing call to a home phone number or cell (I pay for the Unlimited US & Canada) it always says "Insufficient Funds to make this call", however a friend of mine owns the same phone, and same Skype Plan, but can make a call without an issue. Anyone know why this might be?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seem the beta won't run in the background. That makes it a lousy call replacement app, as you'll need to coordinate with people when to open the app.

Also it lacks basic features like adding people to your contacts.

This is an OS limitation, WP7 apps can't run in the background nor can trigger a ringtone by push notification. Hopefully the Tango improves these APIs (but I have my doubts) otherwise Skype will need some creative native code to accomplish this (and to become a useful app).

The only way Skype can notify you when in the background is by sending a PN message (like whatsapp), this is far from ideal of course, but thats the platform and the decisions MS made. And clearly their own apps suffer from the limitations now.

How they will solve/bypass this problem I'm excited to know.

I've tested this app on a long call today (with video) on the Lumia 800 and it works amazing, call quality is great, the call did not drop (~10 min on 3g and ~20 min on wifi). Pretty amazing as Tango used to drop every 5 minutes for me.

So the app itself (although buggy) is working quite good, I'm pleasantly surprised with the stability while calling and the call quality. Good job!