A High end Aluminum Case for a High end Aluminum Phone

Do you want a high end aluminum case that costs $200 or more?

• $200 for a case!?!? That's CRAZY!!!!!

Votes: 43 91.5%
  • SHUT UP and take my money!!!!

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Snaaky

Oct 17, 2009
This is a design I whipped up just for giggles and I'll likely be custom making one for my own device because I have access to both the equipment and ability. I just figured I'd throw up a couple screen shots from my cad software and see what public interest would be for something like this. If and when I actually make one I'll post photos.

A case like this is form fitted and made by cnc machining solid aluminum flat-bar. Needless to say, the process is not cheap and I estimate a case will require four hours of machining in a semi-production operation. This would end in a price tag starting at an estimated $200 and more if it is anodized and or customized. This is not an offer to sell or even making known an intention to sell. I'm just curious to know if this is a product that A: people want, B: people want at the needed price point.

pewpewbangbang

Feb 13, 2010
Ann Arbor & NYC
A good case to use is the element case sector 5. It had no signal reduction due to the plastic inserts disturbing the aluminum bumper and was perfect.

With your case, your likely to have huge signal issues, GPS and all

Sent from my HTC One 801e using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Snaaky

Snaaky

Oct 17, 2009
A good case to use is the element case sector 5. It had no signal reduction due to the plastic inserts disturbing the aluminum bumper and was perfect.

That's quite possible, and I won't know until I try building one. In case you didn't notice it, I did design in slots in the back of the case that line up with the plastic antenna on the back of the phone. I assume that it will work because the body of the phone itself is aluminum.

bljy

Nov 28, 2011
Too much going on at the sides for me! Good work!

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

Clownzer

Dec 27, 2008
Assuming it is very form fitting and has holes for all the right places I would take one for sure. What kind of protection would be on the inside to prevent scratches between the case and phone?

xXxG0dzRAgexXx

Feb 24, 2013
Beltsville, Maryland
Only criticism I have is the large amount of screws. like said earlier I'm interested. Just all those screws take away from the beauty of it and they may be irritating when holding the device. Maybe 4 screws would be nice. Don't know if that'll be able to hold it together well enough though.

Sent from my HTC One 801e using Tapatalk 4 Beta

msgnyc

Mar 13, 2006
Tri-State
By the way you forgot an opening for the noise canceling mic

the top and bottom rear slots are cut out and the noise canceling mic is on the upper plastic strip.

Nice design, but as mentioned, way too many secure points for screws. I'd do 6 at most.
Aside from that, I like it. No way Id pay that much for one, but if I had the tools to machine one myself I would. lol

Last edited:

PcFish

Jul 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Slap Iron Man looking armor on the back and paint it red/gold I'd pay $200 for it. Actually something I've been planning to do on CAD at work lol.

Did you see how the draco bumper handles screws? I wouldn't mind something like that.
Also since Draco's are $80 for the bumper, I'd say $120 is a fair price point.

May 5, 2013
Agree with everyone else about the screws but...

I know the case will look better once it is made. As long as those screws were flush/smooth with the case I would probably buy it if I saw it in the stores.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda premium

Last edited:

kmyerslp

Aug 9, 2010
Missouri
You should produce your design first and see if you get decent reception with it. Other aluminum cases like that have already weakened the signal.

Sent from my HTCONE

ogtruckin

Apr 21, 2013
That's pretty cool but I wouldn't be interested in paying that much

Snaaky

Oct 17, 2009
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll reduce the number of screws or find a way of eliminating them. I agree that it will clean up how it looks. If/When I have turn concept to reality, I'll post up some pictures!

Hunt3r.j2

Jun 6, 2011
You will destroy signal reception. The top and bottom metal strips are the antennas, not the plastic lines. You also need to make sure you don't cover up the plastic lines around the camera as they function to prevent odd NFC antenna effects.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a design I whipped up just for giggles and I'll likely be custom making one for my own device because I have access to both the equipment and ability. I just figured I'd throw up a couple screen shots from my cad software and see what public interest would be for something like this. If and when I actually make one I'll post photos.

A case like this is form fitted and made by cnc machining solid aluminum flat-bar. Needless to say, the process is not cheap and I estimate a case will require four hours of machining in a semi-production operation. This would end in a price tag starting at an estimated $200 and more if it is anodized and or customized. This is not an offer to sell or even making known an intention to sell. I'm just curious to know if this is a product that A: people want, B: people want at the needed price point.
    Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll reduce the number of screws or find a way of eliminating them. I agree that it will clean up how it looks. If/When I have turn concept to reality, I'll post up some pictures!
    Sooooooo sick! Very interested in something like this. I'd possibly buy it.

Sent from my HTC One 801e using Tapatalk 4 Beta