FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[VIDEO] How to root/flash a Chromecast with FlashCast

791 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,518

By ddggttff3, Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 16th November 2013, 06:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th November 2013, 03:12 PM |#11  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny18pr

What are the benefits of a rooted chrome cast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The biggest benefit is you get to keep your unlocked bootloader, and gain the ability to flash mods such as Kyocast to get around google's app whitelisting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

This might be OT but under the heading of what a CC noobie might do wrong!

I have a new CC but waiting on the OTG cable. I'm getting ready so I didn't have a standard USB flash drive but had a USB/xD adapter and a 1GB xD card on which I put Flashcast. After watching the video and the caution about trying to open the USB drive I decided to redo it. Win32DiskImager errors out at 97%, I forget the error number and Windows can't format it either! I was able to put it back into the camera and format it.

Just wondering if say someone tries Flashcast only to find out that they have one of the new bootloaders(which could be me too), what do they do with that USB flash drive or what will format it now? Or is it just something to do with the adapter that I used?

If you flash flashcast to a jump drive, and try to boot it on a chromecast that is already updated, it would stay on a black screen on your TV, and the jump drive would never format. You can just re-format the jump drive from your computer to return it to being a normal jumpdrive.

17th November 2013, 03:13 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
question, the other end of the OTG cable is plugged into your computer? where do chromecast get its power?
17th November 2013, 03:17 PM |#13  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrtok

question, the other end of the OTG cable is plugged into your computer? where do chromecast get its power?

yes, I was using my computer to power the OTG. you can also use the stock power adapter if you want.
17th November 2013, 03:21 PM |#14  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3

If you flash flashcast to a jump drive, and try to boot it on a chromecast that is already updated, it would stay on a black screen on your TV, and the jump drive would never format. You can just re-format the jump drive from your computer to return it to being a normal jumpdrive.

That's if your able to succeed but if it fails do to having the wrong bootloader? Are you still able to format from your PC or right after using Win32Diskimager to put the bin file on the USB drive, are you able to format, etc. then? Maybe using Win32DiskImager the second time corrupted the memory card??
17th November 2013, 03:23 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
in either case I must have the 3 way OTG? im asking this because I have the normal micro usb > female USB otg, there isnt a 3rd cable out to power the device. Appreciate your reply.
17th November 2013, 03:38 PM |#16  
Flag Minnesota

More
Quote:

That's if your able to succeed but if it fails do to having the wrong bootloader? Are you still able to format from your PC or right after using Win32Diskimager to put the bin file on the USB drive, are you able to format, etc. then? Maybe using Win32DiskImager the second time corrupted the memory card??

Well if it fails to boot due to a locked bootloader, it will not format. At that point even formatting it yourself (which would break flashcast) would not make it work as the bootloader is preventing it from booting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrtok

in either case I must have the 3 way OTG? im asking this because I have the normal micro usb > female USB otg, there isnt a 3rd cable out to power the device. Appreciate your reply.

For flashing the chromecast you need a powered OTG cable, but some people have reported success using a powered USB hub. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2465642
17th November 2013, 05:09 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:

Due to the confusion on how to setup flashcast and install pwnedcast, I decided to make a tutorial Video. Sorry for the crappy video/audio, I need a new webcam.

NOTE: this will work on a chromecast that has not been setup yet, and we recommend rooting a device before setup to prevent any accidental OTA update.

Files Download Link: http://pwnedcast-files.servernetwork...ecast-Root.zip

Hope this helps!

also, bonus points for anyone who finds the "teaser" in the video.

thanks very much for the video....i wish i would have had this a few weeks ago when i was figuring this out myself.
17th November 2013, 05:59 PM |#18  
Flag Green Bay, WI
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeardmore

Sweet! I have been trolling YouTube for the last 1/2 hour looking for just this video with no luck. Came back here and "poof", here it is!

I have 2 Chromecasts that have been sitting untouched since release day, waiting for a comprehensive tutorial. Thank you!!

UPDATE: Followed this video and had both my devices rooted in under 1/2 hour. Thank you!
17th November 2013, 09:16 PM |#19  
Warren, MI

More
Quote:

Well if it fails to boot due to a locked bootloader, it will not format. At that point even formatting it yourself (which would break flashcast) would not make it work as the bootloader is preventing it from booting.

It's not the process or lack of completing that I questioned, it's the condition of the USB flash drive if it fails. It might be better to ask, if Win32DiskImager is used to place the BIN file on a USB flash drive and it isn't used to flash a CC or fails to, how or with what is used to formatted it for reuse?
17th November 2013, 09:43 PM |#20  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waltham, MA
Thanks Meter: 241

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It's not the process or lack of completing that I questioned, it's the condition of the USB flash drive if it fails. It might be better to ask, if Win32DiskImager is used to place the BIN file on a USB flash drive and it isn't used to flash a CC or fails to, how or with what is used to formatted it for reuse?

The flash drive can certainly be reformatted. I've seen reports of Windows being unable to format it using the standard explorer menu option for some reason, which is a bug in Windows, IMO. The format operation is exactly the same regardless of the contents of the drive, and Windows shouldn't be looking at the contents at all. Nevertheless, it doesn't work for some reason, so what you need to do is go into the Disk Management application as described here, delete all the partitions on the drive, and then create a new FAT32 partition which takes up all the space. (If someone is willing to create a guide with screenshots, I'd appreciate it, as I don't currently have access to a Windows machine.)
17th November 2013, 10:24 PM |#21  
Warren, MI

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchebb

The flash drive can certainly be reformatted. I've seen reports of Windows being unable to format it using the standard explorer menu option for some reason, which is a bug in Windows, IMO. The format operation is exactly the same regardless of the contents of the drive, and Windows shouldn't be looking at the contents at all. Nevertheless, it doesn't work for some reason, so what you need to do is go into the Disk Management application as described here, delete all the partitions on the drive, and then create a new FAT32 partition which takes up all the space. (If someone is willing to create a guide with screenshots, I'd appreciate it, as I don't currently have access to a Windows machine.)

I had set up the USB/xD adapter as before with the BIN file, tried to format it and it again failed. It may have something to do with the adapter or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Writer.html which I'm using. I had to get this when I bought a camera and my old XP Laptop did have anyway to read a xD picture card.

The camera formats it to FAT and I just reformat to FAT32.

EDIT:
Using Disk Management, the drive shows 20M Healthy and 980M Unallocated. The only option that isn't greyed out in "delete" for the 20M partition only. Shrink isn't available on any USB flash drive that I looked at. Maybe Diskparts from the command line but it seems like it shouldn't happen. May have move some files around to loosen up a normal USB flash drive for use.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)