Finally found THE case for the G

Search This thread

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
Since Ballistic has no plans on making a case for the G, after perusing the net I found this: http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-products/motorola-moto-g/aegis-case-motorola-moto-g.aspx

It's a 2 piece Ballistic-like case for those that want ultimate drop protection. It says $34.95 on the website, but I found it on ebay for $26.95 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Motorol...t=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&hash=item51b7f5ab8b but only for US buyers. Shipping to other countries will be a little bit more.

They say it's been drop tested 26 times from 4ft. onto concrete. My kind of case! And even has covers for the ports to keep dust and dirt out. I'm definitely buying one since Ballistic doesn't think it's worth making a case for one of the hottest selling phones.

4656-Large-16bdd1e8-6070-461e-877a-fe4715a52366.jpg

4656-Large-8c3e92a4-1342-4145-9652-49385ae444d8.jpg

4656-Large-40782414-3e17-4d2a-b1d0-f4529f3d116d.jpg

4656-Large-7b965135-89a8-447c-91d3-f2fb9665ede3.jpg

Last edited:

twister99403

Oct 4, 2010
Lewiston, ID
Yeah they have good cases. We bought both but personally like the look and feel of the otter box on the moto g. Other phones I have liked Trident better so I guess it's just personal preference and both cases are awesome

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

eku53ru

Oct 29, 2011
Hmm, I may have to try out this case, too--I'm noticing some quirks with my OtterBox Commuter that may be solved with the Aegis' design. Based on the screen protectors provided with other Aegis models, it may also be a better cut than the cheap/lazy job OtterBox did.

To add to what twister99403 said, the Commuter is like the Aegis and the screen protector is optional; the Defender seems closer to Trident's Kraken A.M.S. series with its built-in screen protector.

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
Hmm, I may have to try out this case, too--I'm noticing some quirks with my OtterBox Commuter that may be solved with the Aegis' design. Based on the screen protectors provided with other Aegis models, it may also be a better cut than the cheap/lazy job OtterBox did.

To add to what twister99403 said, the Commuter is like the Aegis and the screen protector is optional; the Defender seems closer to Trident's Kraken A.M.S. series with its built-in screen protector.

Yeah, people have said that the built in screen protector takes away from touch response in some cases. I'll stick with the self-applicable screen protectors, as I've never had a problem with them.

I really, really, really liked my Ballistic SG case I had for my Samsung Infuse. I could literally throw it up in the air 15ft. and land on concrete without even worrying about it. I used to do that just to show people how great the case was.

Oh well, but thankfully it looks like the Trident case will be a decent replacement for the ballistic. I value protection over style any day, but it doesn't hurt that I like the way the case looks too. It seems most of the people who care about style first are probably under 25yrs. old, and possibly still live with mommy and daddy. My phone is a tool first and foremost, and I need to protect it, since I don't believe in buying a new phone every time I drop it.

eku53ru

Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, people have said that the built in screen protector takes away from touch response in some cases. I'll stick with the self-applicable screen protectors, as I've never had a problem with them.

I really, really, really liked my Ballistic SG case I had for my Samsung Infuse. I could literally throw it up in the air 15ft. and land on concrete without even worrying about it. I used to do that just to show people how great the case was.

Oh well, but thankfully it looks like the Trident case will be a decent replacement for the ballistic. I value protection over style any day, but it doesn't hurt that I like the way the case looks too. It seems most of the people who care about style first are probably under 25yrs. old, and possibly still live with mommy and daddy. My phone is a tool first and foremost, and I need to protect it, since I don't believe in buying a new phone every time I drop it.
I've heard of similar problems with built-in screen protectors, and that is why I don't own the OtterBox Defender.

While the Commuter doesn't have a built-in screen protector, the self-applicable one they include with the case doesn't cover the entire screen; it leaves the 1cm above the display exposed. They didn't bother to cut out even a hole or a section of the protector for the speaker/sensors/etc.--they just lopped that whole side off. I hope that Trident didn't make the same mistake with theirs.

The outer shell of the Aegis case also seems better at minimizing the dust that will seep under the silicone layer, which is something the Commuter doesn't do very well. The lanyard loop is also a nice touch; I'll be able to reattach my retractable key holder to protect it from even more falls.

While I can't say if the Aegis can stand its ground against a Ballistic SG case, it should offer enough protection. Pickings seem to be slim for heavy-duty cases that don't have built-in protectors (for now, at least). I'm more function over form too, especially since the Moto G doesn't fit in my pocket.

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
I've heard of similar problems with built-in screen protectors, and that is why I don't own the OtterBox Defender.

While the Commuter doesn't have a built-in screen protector, the self-applicable one they include with the case doesn't cover the entire screen; it leaves the 1cm above the display exposed. They didn't bother to cut out even a hole or a section of the protector for the speaker/sensors/etc.--they just lopped that whole side off. I hope that Trident didn't make the same mistake with theirs.

The outer shell of the Aegis case also seems better at minimizing the dust that will seep under the silicone layer, which is something the Commuter doesn't do very well. The lanyard loop is also a nice touch; I'll be able to reattach my retractable key holder to protect it from even more falls.

While I can't say if the Aegis can stand its ground against a Ballistic SG case, it should offer enough protection. Pickings seem to be slim for heavy-duty cases that don't have built-in protectors (for now, at least). I'm more function over form too, especially since the Moto G doesn't fit in my pocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrizz

Jooosty

Nov 26, 2011
Man that looks really damn good.

I want that more than my Defender.

Defender now for sale if you want it PM me.

Sent from my MOTO G!!!

Neilk37

Jan 9, 2014
Looks fantastic wolfen69, ordered the Blue Trident Hard Case Shell yesterday off ebay from the US before seeing your photo's, they have just confirmed that I have made the right choice, looks great and offers excellent protection from falls.

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
Looks fantastic wolfen69, ordered the Blue Trident Hard Case Shell yesterday off ebay from the US before seeing your photo's, they have just confirmed that I have made the right choice, looks great and offers excellent protection from falls.

I love it, and the blue color really pops. (I don't buy cases based on looks, but it doesn't hurt)

jim.1405

Jan 2, 2014
Looks great! Does it add a lot of bulk? I was looking for a red/black combo, but the blue looks nice.

I got one one of these (grey/black) Friday and it does add considerable bulk. More than I thought it would. The trade off is, it would seem to provide a lot of protection. I wouldn't be overly worried if I dropped the phone on concrete with this case. I also find it more comfortable to hold the the bare phone since I have somewhat large hands and it just fits better than the rather svelte Moto G.

Reactions: zener773

zener773

Oct 6, 2007
So I finally gave in and got this case in blue. It looks great but the back is a bit slippery. It also adds some weight but in a good way. I was previously using the official flip shell and while it looks great (grip is really good), it doesn't offer any protection. This trident case really protects my phone from the eventual drop.

Sent from my XT1034 using xda app-developers app

wolfen69

Feb 25, 2012
Woodstock, GA USA
So I finally gave in and got this case in blue. It looks great but the back is a bit slippery. It also adds some weight but in a good way. I was previously using the official flip shell and while it looks great (grip is really good), it doesn't offer any protection. This trident case really protects my phone from the eventual drop.

Yeah, I love mine. I'm also eventually going to drop mine, and I'm going to be glad I had this case. I would easily trust this case protecting my phone from a 4-5 ft. drop onto concrete.

I still think Ballistic makes the best cases, but since they don't make one for the G, I thought the Trident would be a good alternative.

zener773

Oct 6, 2007
Yeah, I love mine. I'm also eventually going to drop mine, and I'm going to be glad I had this case. I would easily trust this case protecting my phone from a 4-5 ft. drop onto concrete.

I still think Ballistic makes the best cases, but since they don't make one for the G, I thought the Trident would be a good alternative.

Right on. Only tidbit is the amount of dust the rubber collects. By the way, has anyone used the screen protector included with this case?

wrj54

Jan 3, 2014
I also put the Trident blue on my phone. I was always nervous picking up my Moto G or removing it from my pocket. I have large (and clumsy) hands and I never felt like I had a good grip on the phone. The Trident case solved all that and it feels very secure in my hand.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since Ballistic has no plans on making a case for the G, after perusing the net I found this: http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-products/motorola-moto-g/aegis-case-motorola-moto-g.aspx

It's a 2 piece Ballistic-like case for those that want ultimate drop protection. It says $34.95 on the website, but I found it on ebay for $26.95 with free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Motorol...t=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&hash=item51b7f5ab8b but only for US buyers. Shipping to other countries will be a little bit more.

They say it's been drop tested 26 times from 4ft. onto concrete. My kind of case! And even has covers for the ports to keep dust and dirt out. I'm definitely buying one since Ballistic doesn't think it's worth making a case for one of the hottest selling phones.

4656-Large-16bdd1e8-6070-461e-877a-fe4715a52366.jpg

4656-Large-8c3e92a4-1342-4145-9652-49385ae444d8.jpg

4656-Large-40782414-3e17-4d2a-b1d0-f4529f3d116d.jpg

4656-Large-7b965135-89a8-447c-91d3-f2fb9665ede3.jpg
    Pics of the Trident case I just received! I love it. True protection from drops, and looks nice. The corners are slightly bulbous for extra protection.

fAUelZJ.jpg

r1jPBLJ.jpg

fl4LjeP.jpg

nlHHpTP.jpg

7Da02AG.jpg

Looks great! Does it add a lot of bulk? I was looking for a red/black combo, but the blue looks nice.

I got one one of these (grey/black) Friday and it does add considerable bulk. More than I thought it would. The trade off is, it would seem to provide a lot of protection. I wouldn't be overly worried if I dropped the phone on concrete with this case. I also find it more comfortable to hold the the bare phone since I have somewhat large hands and it just fits better than the rather svelte Moto G.