[TOOL] [LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Nexus Tools 5 (Featured by XDA)

Search This thread

corbindavenport

Feb 26, 2012
Raleigh, NC
corbin.io
Nexus Tools

Nexus Tools is a simple installer for the Android SDK Platform Tools package, which includes ADB, Fastboot, Systrace, and other applications. Nexus Tools is written in Dart, and can run on Linux, macOS, Windows, Windows Subsystem for Linux, and Chrome OS.

Nexus Tools downloads the latest Platform tools package directly from Google's servers (so you're always getting the latest version), saves them to ~/.nexustools, and adds the directory to your system's path. On Windows, Nexus Tools can optionally install Koush's Universal ADB Driver.

Once Nexus Tools is finished, you can run adb, fastboot, and other commands with no problems. You need to open a new terminal/command line window after installation for changes to take effect. The SDK Platform Tools can be updated by running nexustools -i, or you can uninstall everything by running nexustools -r.

Screenshot of Nexus Tools on macOS and Windows 11

How to use on Linux, macOS, and Chrome OS

Paste this command into the Terminal app:

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/main/install.sh)

You can also download the Mac and Linux versions from the latest release page, un-zip the file, and run it from the Terminal.

Once Nexus Tools is finished, you can run adb, fastboot, and other commands straight from the terminal. You may need to open a new terminal window for changes to take effect. To update, just run the installer again.

How to use on Windows

Open Windows PowerShell from the Start Menu and paste this command:

Code:
iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/main/install.ps1'))

You can also download the Windows version from the latest release page, un-zip the file, and run it from Windows PowerShell or the Command Prompt.

Last edited:

corbindavenport

Feb 26, 2012
Raleigh, NC
corbin.io
New in Nexus Tools 3.1:
  • Added smart remove (on Ubuntu and Debian linux, Nexus Tools will automatically check if the distro's ADB/Fastboot packages are present and allow you to uninstall them)
  • Changed udev rules list to automatically overwrite existing list
  • No longer installs udev list on Mac OS X (because it doesn't use it)

Reactions: Bryanx86

StrangeSavage

Mar 4, 2009
OnePlus 11
sorry to bother, but will this very useful tool be updated to the latest adb and fastboot versions ? afaik the last adb version is 1.0.35 and the current installed is 1.0.32.
thanks a lot in advance !

Mar 16, 2014
Any chance you can update the script to install ADB 1.0.36?

UPDATED: I downloaded the latest SDK Tools and moved the adb and fastboot binaries into the .nexustools folder and made the binaries executable using chmod +x on both binaries so now I have adb 1.0.36 and the latest fastboot:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: carmatana

usaff22

Nov 8, 2011
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.

UPDATED: I downloaded the latest SDK Tools and moved the adb and fastboot binaries into the .nexustools folder and made the binaries executable using chmod +x on both binaries so now I have adb 1.0.36 and the latest fastboot:cool:

Hey, would you be able to send me the adb and fastboot files? I don't have Android Studio installed on my Mac and so I can't use sdk tools to update my adb to 1.0.36. Thanks.

tristam15

Nov 14, 2016
50TK0kT.png
Nexus Tools is an installer for the Android debug/development command-line tools ADB (Android Device Bridge) and Fastboot for Mac OS X and Linux. The script does not need to be downloaded, simply copy and paste this command into the terminal and run it to install ADB/Fastboot:

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/master/install.sh)
and this command to un-install Nexus Tools:

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/master/uninstall.sh)
Nexus Tools requires sudo privileges to install/uninstall the adb and fastboot tools to /usr/local/bin, so they can be run without typing the full directory. Nexus Tools is licensed under the GPLv3 license, and the source code is at the GitHub project below.

If you have a problem with Nexus Tools, leave a reply below or as an issue on the GitHub project!

GitHub Project
XDA News Article

Thank You so much. You are a life saver. This is amazing. Looked all over for this. It was hard to find.

Thank You.

skulldreamz

Mar 13, 2012
Baltimore, MD

Also anyone that's on Linux another way to make adb/fastboot or any binary for that matter executable is to just put a " dot followed by a forward slash in front of your adb or fastboot command " like so...

./adb devices

./fastboot devices

Jeffhay

Nov 15, 2011
Sammamish, WA

I ran your script today and ADB is showing 1.0.32 for me. Any way I can get it to 1.0.36?

yreham

Sep 16, 2010
yerres
could some one tell me where to place the files i want to flash.. i'm not a pro thanks in advance

iamdsilver

Oct 4, 2012
i try this but got a message
"Illegal instruction"

i also try
"PATH=~/.nexustools:$PATH"
but there is nothing happen

my computer is mac osx 10.6
how could i fix it
thank you

maspaijo

Mar 18, 2009
I can install and working well without any doubt till today.. using the copy of script directed to my terminal.. thanks alot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nexus Tools

Nexus Tools is a simple installer for the Android SDK Platform Tools package, which includes ADB, Fastboot, Systrace, and other applications. Nexus Tools is written in Dart, and can run on Linux, macOS, Windows, Windows Subsystem for Linux, and Chrome OS.

Nexus Tools downloads the latest Platform tools package directly from Google's servers (so you're always getting the latest version), saves them to ~/.nexustools, and adds the directory to your system's path. On Windows, Nexus Tools can optionally install Koush's Universal ADB Driver.

Once Nexus Tools is finished, you can run adb, fastboot, and other commands with no problems. You need to open a new terminal/command line window after installation for changes to take effect. The SDK Platform Tools can be updated by running nexustools -i, or you can uninstall everything by running nexustools -r.

Screenshot of Nexus Tools on macOS and Windows 11

How to use on Linux, macOS, and Chrome OS

Paste this command into the Terminal app:

Code:
    bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/main/install.sh)

You can also download the Mac and Linux versions from the latest release page, un-zip the file, and run it from the Terminal.

Once Nexus Tools is finished, you can run adb, fastboot, and other commands straight from the terminal. You may need to open a new terminal window for changes to take effect. To update, just run the installer again.

How to use on Windows

Open Windows PowerShell from the Start Menu and paste this command:

Code:
    iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://raw.githubusercontent.com/corbindavenport/nexus-tools/main/install.ps1'))

You can also download the Windows version from the latest release page, un-zip the file, and run it from Windows PowerShell or the Command Prompt.
    New in Nexus Tools 3.0:
    • Cleaned up script code
    • Fixed udev list being installed on Mac OS X, even though OS X doesn't need it
    • Less output spam during installation
    • New logo
    Edit -- works great. Keep up the amazing work!
    I just updated Nexus Tools to version 3.3, which updates the ADB/Fastboot binaries to the latest versions. Enjoy!
    Hi, I've been trying various ways to get ADB installed on my ARM7 Chromebook and I'm getting furthest with your method but I get the error:

[EROR] The 'unzip' command is not installed. Please install it and run Nexus Tools again.

I've tried various ways of adding unzip like:

sudo apt-get unzip install

and other variations but with no joy.

I've tried installing Crouton and as far as I know I have:

name: xenial
    encrypted: no
    Entering /mnt/stateful_partition/crouton/chroots/xenial...
    crouton: version 1-20190902190258~master:9a594a66
    release: xenial
    architecture: armhf
    xmethod: xorg
    targets: xfce
    host: version 11316.165.0 (Official Build) stable-channel daisy_spring
    kernel: Linux localhost 3.8.11 #1 SMP Sun Mar 3 22:44:20 PST 2019 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux
    freon: yes
    Unmounting /mnt/stateful_partition/crouton/chroots/xenial...

Sorry, the script doesn't work with ARM devices, since Google doesn't distribute ARM binaries. I was using some ADB/Fastboot binaries that someone on XDA compiled for ARM, but those are so old that they only work with Jelly Bean (I think).