Are screen protectors really needed on the Epic 4G Touch?

Search This thread

crypt0kiddie

Jun 23, 2010
Man, I thought I finished posting this but I guess not. Must have forgot to hit submit.

Are screen protectors really needed with Gorilla Glass? I've had them on my last four phones and never thought of not having one but my wife just got an Android and her screen glides like silk. Also, I've noticed it seems much clearer.

How do the glass screens on these phones hold up to scratching?

crypt0kiddie

Jun 23, 2010
I guess my current thinking is that maybe a few light scratches might be an OK trade off to the Zag adding a little blur to the screen, having the tacky non-smooth feeling when I glide my finger across the screen and harder clean-up.

Actually the Zag gets beaten to hell pretty easy. I have marks on it that I can not remove. One could argue that the Zag took the abuse instead of the screen but my thought is that the Zag is softer then the Gorilla Glass so that is why it marks up easier.

I guess I could keep the Zag and never get a scratch on my actual screen but be staring threw more noticeable scratches on the Zag, or maybe have less noticeable scratches on the harder glass and a more clear experience.

Just can't make up my mind and this is my first experience with Gorilla Glass.

88cavalierz24

Apr 1, 2008
NJ
zagg isnt the only screen protector company, there are many types of protectors also, zagg is soft ive had one, ive also had other that are hard and your finger will just slide across it. Sure you will still get scratches on the protector but if its to many get a new protector and slap it on and have a nice clear screen again. A lot easier then replacing the screen imo.

someguyatx

Feb 7, 2012
Louisville
Zagg sucks. Try steinheil. It's crystal clear, hard to scratch, and smooth. I've had mine on since october and it's still looking good.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Yep I tried several different brands of both wet and dry and ended up with the steinheil sgp ultra crystal or something like that. Aside from one scratch which I believe would have certainly scratched the phone its good. You cant even tell its there. When I'm done with this phone I plan to sell it and use that money towards my new one. Its easy to sell a phone in excellent condition because it lived in cases and screen protectors.

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
I have cheap eBay screen protector on my phone. I figure I spent $250 on this device might as well at least have a basic case and screen protector on it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

miketucky350

Jan 13, 2011
Portland indiana
Yes this phone scratches way to easy!! Its not like the original galaxy s where you could not harm the screen no matter what. I run a zag and I love it! The easiest to install and after a few weeks its real smooth.

cyrusrocks

Apr 1, 2011
I don't like them as they make the white areas in apps and websites look terrible with rainbow streaks

etirkca

Apr 14, 2012
How exactly do you not get dust on the screen while installing one of these?

Step 1
051230_intel_hmed_11a.grid-6x2.jpg

Step 2
Done.

crypt0kiddie

Jun 23, 2010

So that picture is pretty funny because I have access to a NASA grade clean room here locally!

Actually, my wife is a manager at an international company that builds clean room environments, filtration systems for clean room environments etc. They actually have a couple dozen major government and NASA contracts!

Hey honey, can I come use a test clean room environment to install my screen protector!?

Reactions: latinmaxima

LudoGris

Feb 11, 2009
New Hampshire
Or do what I did and buy the phone on release day, never put on a screen cover, and still not have scratches on the screen. Phone goes in pocket, jacket (when it was cold), has been dropped (the rest of the phone has some slight scratches), and travels across the country every week. Screen still holding strong.

Could be lucky, could be gorilla glass. Not sure, don't care. Won't ever use a cover again.

knoc

Feb 10, 2010
Akron
Screen scratches easy...my kid put a big mark on my wife's phone and luckily the $2.50 x3 covers took it good..peel it off a
And put on another...purses r bad for phones lmao..same screen protector on mine and its flawless.. dropped couple times still fine..its a god damn 2$ protector its worth every penny and I'd always recommended protecting the screen.. maybe I'll get 20 and put em on my TV and monitor lol

ROM: AOKP Build 36
Kernel: FE16
Modem: FE16
Recovery: EL26 CWM

Reactions: Jared King

forcvcr

Mar 24, 2012
personally i think so, i had my old Epic 4g touch and it had some scratches on the screen. after my screen cracked i got a replacement and now im using a case and screen protector.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Take a nice hot shower then after you're done all of the dust particles in the bathroom would have settled. Now you have a dust free environment. Hasn't failed me yet.

Steinhall is the way to go. You really can't tell anything is on unless you screw up installation and dust is caught on the screen.

Step 1
    051230_intel_hmed_11a.grid-6x2.jpg

Step 2
    Done.
    Zagg sucks. Try steinheil. It's crystal clear, hard to scratch, and smooth. I've had mine on since october and it's still looking good.

Yep I tried several different brands of both wet and dry and ended up with the steinheil sgp ultra crystal or something like that. Aside from one scratch which I believe would have certainly scratched the phone its good. You cant even tell its there. When I'm done with this phone I plan to sell it and use that money towards my new one. Its easy to sell a phone in excellent condition because it lived in cases and screen protectors.